• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee - White people fucked up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyMel

Sure if by white people you mean the white people running the DNC.
Unless the DNC somehow forced people to vote for Trump, the blame falls on all of us. We as a group failed everyone, including ourselves. White people as a whole will vote against their self interest if it makes life harder for other races/ethnicities. Just as that LBJ quote says.

"If Muslims have to take responsibility for everyone in their community, so do we.

giphy.gif

Flo_Evans

Unless the DNC somehow forced people to vote for Trump, the blame falls on all of us. We as a group failed everyone, including ourselves. White people as a whole will vote against their self interest if it makes life harder for other races/ethnicities. Just as that LBJ quote says.

DNC failed to get people to vote for Clinton.

This idea that it's suddenly ok to hold one race responsible for the failures of leadership in the party is sickening. We hold all muslims responsible for terrorism? Do we now? Thought that was the other side.

Clinton failed not the white race. The people that proped her up as the "safe" choice failed.

cheezcake

That's still not an reason for not voting for her.

It is a reason why people did not vote for her, simple fault and effect.

fault: Clinton is a weak an uninspiring candidate
effect: Voter turnout among dems is greatly reduced

It doesn't matter whether you think it's a morally justifiable reason for not voting for her, people won't vote for candidates they don't like. That's human nature and whining about human nature is unproductive. Discuss things that were actually in the DNC's power to change which they neglected if you want to understand how a fucking loon just become the most power person in the world.

"Do you ever get tired of having to be the bigger person?'
"As a black person in this country, you always have to be the bigger person."

I know I'm tired of it at this point.

The white moderate narrative on this forum over the last two days have been infuriating to deal with.

"B..b..but we need to unite now and respect people's choices!"

"Why are these people protesting? It's childish!" (Paraphrasing an actual quote from a Clinton voter)

"It's SJWs who got Trump elected. Maybe if BLM was nicer. Maybe if feminists focused on false rape accusations. Maybe if #AllLivesMatter. Maybe reasons."

"Guys, not all Trump supporters are racists/misogynist" (Actual quote from another Hillary supporter)

I'm sick as hell of hearing affluent elite liberals blame everyone but their candidate, her campaign, and her party for the outcome of this election.

Crocodile

DNC failed to get people to vote for Clinton.

This idea that it's suddenly ok to hold one race responsible for the failures of leadership in the party is sickening. We hold all Muslims responsible for terrorism? Do we now? Thought that was the other side.

Clinton failed not the white race. The people that proped her up as the "safe" choice failed.

The majority of white people in this country voted for Trump. The smallest, tiniest minority of Muslims are terrorists. The comparison doesn't exactly work so the initial point still stands. The issue here is that Trump is so bad a human being that you really should be voting for them in any capacity.

I'm sick as hell of hearing affluent elite liberals blame everyone but their candidate, her campaign, and her party for the outcome of this election.

You can criticize the DNC et al AND criticize voters too. It's not an either or :p

I liked her episode, especially the drinking opening bit with other hosts (yay Jon Stewart!) but 6m fewer democratic voters came out to vote in this election than in 2012. 2m fewer republican voters. If just half those democratic voters went out to vote instead of stayed at home, it would be President Hillary.

Don't blame the people who went out and voted, for either candidate. Blame the people who voted for Obama in 2012 but decided to stay at home. Blame Hillary for wanting power more than realizing she was not the right candidate this cycle. Blame the DNC leadership for not putting up better candidates early on and being completely out of touch with the rust belt.

kswiston

Sorry to say but if your electoral college would apply to us, all of Canada would be worth 55 votes (same population as California) meaning the final tally would have been 289 for Trump to 273 for Clinton.

If Canada was absorbed into the US, it would probably be split up. Ignoring the fact that it doesnt make sense to have a state that is geographically larger than the other 50 combined, several of our provinces have a fair amount of people in them. Ontario would be the fifth most populated state after California, Texas, New York, and Florida if it was part of the US. Quebec would be #12. Alberta and BC are also more populated than almost half of the US states are.

Haven't watched it yet, but let's face it: the GOP pushed the "Clinton is a toxic, corrupt politician" angle and it worked. For whatever reason, Hillary is simply not liked.

I don't know if Bernie would have won. We'll never know.

What we do know is that we're fucked. Trump appealed to the lowest common denominator, and they came out for him. Would they have done so had someone other than Hillary been running? With someone more charismatic, who could relate to them? I actually don't know. Part of the problem was the Dems didn't have a strong message for those people.

Trump said "I'll bring your jobs back" (L O fucking L) and Clinton said "it's time to learn new trades, higher learning" (which is the truth, quite frankly). What's ironic is that the Dems have a better shot of helping those people to get better education and better jobs.

The GOP wants to keep them where they are, in poverty. Less social programs, more "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" messaging.

I hear a lot of "it's just 4 years" and "we survived Bush so we can survive Trump" but it's not just 4 years. It's the SCOTUS and a generation (or more) of conservative crap being pushed down our throats.

We.
Are.
Fucked.

GeoGonzo

"If Muslims have to take responsibility for everyone in their community, so do we."
Samantha is killing it.

A few have already quoted this line but I'm not a fan of it. Is she saying that the Muslims DO have to take responsibility for everyone in their community? That can't be right.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the video yet and wont be able to for a few hours more. Maybe it makes more sense in context?

Quixzlizx

A few have already quoted this line but I'm not a fan of it. Is she saying that the Muslims DO have to take responsibility for everyone in their community? That can't be right.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the video yet and wont be able to for a few hours more. Maybe it makes more sense in context?

She's using rhetoric to point out a double-standard.

Llyranor

The context is that whenever there is an ISIS attack, there is an outcry about Muslims not condemning ISIS enough or being responsible for ISIS (despite Muslim organizations constantly condemning ISIS, and Muslims being the main combatants against ISIS).

I think blaming white people is stupid. The blame falls solely on the Democrats. Their candidate was so roundly unpopular that she lost an election to a man who had less votes than the last guy who lost. So unpopular that she couldn't leverage her predecessor's high popularity at all.

People are complaining about the graph saying its disingenuous - it's not, at all. Hillary lost because people hate her enough to not show up to defeat a demagogue. Sit on that and think for a minute.

Curufinwe

Haven't watched it yet, but let's face it: the GOP pushed the "Clinton is a toxic, corrupt politician" angle and it worked. For whatever reason, Hillary is simply not liked.

I don't know if Bernie would have won. We'll never know.

What we do know is that we're fucked. Trump appealed to the lowest common denominator, and they came out for him. Would they have done so had someone other than Hillary been running? With someone more charismatic, who could relate to them? I actually don't know. Part of the problem was the Dems didn't have a strong message for those people.

Trump said "I'll bring your jobs back" (L O fucking L) and Clinton said "it's time to learn new trades, higher learning" (which is the truth, quite frankly). What's ironic is that the Dems have a better shot of helping those people to get better education and better jobs.

The GOP wants to keep them where they are, in poverty. Less social programs, more "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" messaging.

I hear a lot of "it's just 4 years" and "we survived Bush so we can survive Trump" but it's not just 4 years. It's the SCOTUS and a generation (or more) of conservative crap being pushed down our throats.

We.
Are.
Fucked.

Pushed it with the help of the media, Russia and WikiLeaks.

I think blaming white people is stupid. The blame falls solely on the Democrats. Their candidate was so roundly unpopular that she lost an election to a man who had less votes than the last guy who lost. So unpopular that she couldn't leverage her predecessor's high popularity at all.

People are complaining about the graph saying its disingenuous - it's not, at all. Hillary lost because people hate her enough to not show up to defeat a demagogue. Sit on that and think for a minute.

Bingo

Curufinwe

It's quite precious to see people act like another Democratic candidate wouldn't have had their emails hacked by Russia and used against them. Or maybe the belief is there's nothing in the staff of Saint Bernie's email accounts that would be fodder for CNN.

Damerman

I blame both the democratic party that tried to give hillary her turn dispite her dislikability and i blame white people that didnt vote out of spite because now we are seeing emboldened racists commiting material acts of violence on minorities. I would also like to acknowledge that violence on trump supporters is not cool. All i want to say is that the democratic party failed the american people and we have suffered the greates L of all time in my eyes. Republicans are going to fuck shit up for 4 years.

In then end its all white peoples faults.

-MB-

The right has been blaming entire groups of minorities for the actions of a few for so long already. Well before muslims were, they collectively blamed african americans for the violence of a few. And it is incredibly hypocritical from the group of peopel that always seem to champion personal responsibility at every turn.

Anarky

Banned
The white moderate narrative on this forum over the last two days have been infuriating to deal with.

"B..b..but we need to unite now and respect people's choices!"

"Why are these people protesting? It's childish!" (Paraphrasing an actual quote from a Clinton voter)

"It's SJWs who got Trump elected. Maybe if BLM was nicer. Maybe if feminists focused on false rape accusations. Maybe if #AllLivesMatter. Maybe reasons."

"Guys, not all Trump supporters are racists/misogynist" (Actual quote from another Hillary supporter)

Minority: Oh my god I'm so scared I could be deported or killed.

White moderate: chill out and quit whining democracy won. You're overreacting.

I think she's right; namely, white Democrats failing to do more to cater to white working-class Republicans' economic anxieties was a huge fuck up.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
According to people on the right (and some on the left), they do. She's saying that they should live by the double standard they forced on Muslims.

But... Why? It's a bad standard, we should continue to argue that Muslims shouldn't have to speak for all Muslims, or black people for all other black people... Not lean into it

Jeels

But... Why? It's a bad standard, we should continue to argue that Muslims shouldn't have to speak for all Muslims, or black people for all other black people... Not lean into it

It's comedy...she's pointing out how ridiculous it is...

Sometimes the only way white people see how ridiculous it is, is when the standard is applied to them.

Henkka

Banned
Have you been around and listened to what Republicans have been saying for the last 16 years?

But according to Samantha Bee, not republicans, it's wrong to generalise about muslims. "Republicans do it to muslims" isn't an argument for generalising about white people. So I think she's kinda being internally contradictory there.

Obviously though, a fuckton more white people voted Trump than muslims support terrorism. So I get where she's coming from.

But maybe, next time around, why not try appealing to those white, rural voters instead of shaming them? You know, so they'd vote for you?

But according to Samantha Bee, not republicans, it's wrong to generalise about muslims. "Republicans do it to muslims" isn't an argument for generalising about white people. So I think she's kinda being internally contradictory there.

Obviously though, a fuckton more white people voted Trump than muslims support terrorism. So I get where she's coming from.

But maybe, next time around, why not try appealing to those white, rural voters instead of shaming them? You know, so they'd vote for you?

I think we're overthinking things here. One of her writers had a catchy line that was relevant and she went with it.

My dad, a life long republican who did not vote this year brings up a point I'd like to see more opinions on. This is anecdotal from people he's spoken with but he says there is a strong feeling of backlash against politicians in general. People voted for Trump because he was not a politician, he wasn't establishment. Never mind everything else, that was it. Any non politician would be better than a politician. I already pointed out that the foundational problems with many politicians are present in Trump to even greater extremes but he's adamant that didn't matter. A non politician was better than a politician, everything else be damned to those who voted for him, and that's why he won. I think he's missing some nuance, personally.

Edit: Correction, my dad did vote for Trump. Fuck me.

I don't understand how Hilliary offended the rural white vote. She told them the truth. Those jobs don't exist anymore.

What more could she have done but offer them re-education and chances at new jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom