• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Throttle Remastered |OT| Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen...

RAIDEN1

Even though the re-mastered work may not be to everyone's taste, the fact that we can play this game on today's systems is a minor miracle in itself, so it's not all bad with the fact that you can revert to the original look of the '95 version, also keep in mind this will be the first and likely the LAST time we get a game like this after what occurred with the ill-fated sequels...

Make the most of it! That being said it would have been good if they perhaps could have made a directors cut version with a few more extra scenes etc....as this is probably THE shortest adventure in the LucasArts catalogue...

Rien

Jelly Belly
Even though the re-mastered work may not be to everyone's taste, the fact that we can play this game on today's systems is a minor miracle in itself, so it's not all bad with the fact that you can revert to the original look of the '95 version, also keep in mind this will be the first and likely the LAST time we get a game like this after what occurred with the ill-fated sequels...

Make the most of it! That being said it would have been good if they perhaps could have made a directors cut version with a few more extra scenes etc....as this is probably THE shortest adventure in the LucasArts catalogue...

Agreeing with this

RAIDEN1

Somebody's already posted a walkthrough of the game (Part 1) ! No hanging about ! Talk about pedal to the metal!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Geez, Double Fine. What have you done (again)?

Did they redraw Ben from memory? I guess it's somewhat impressive if that's the case. Kind of a disaster otherwise.

I swear Schaefer had stated he and the team visited Lucasfilm to gather the original assets of the game that were still intact for this remaster.

Hard to gauge but I wonder if the differences stem from the perspective shift and resolution adjusting when swapping. I look forward to the documentary included with this.

Switch version with touch controls in undocked mode.

No Xbox ver?

GF and DOTT didn't come out on those, so it's unlikely. Steam, iOS seems like a safe bet, Android a less safe bet, but possible (GF came out on it, but not DOTT).

I'm looking forward to this, I'll eventually get it. I would like to see MI1/2 SE ported to current consoles (should be relatively easy to do) and then work on remaking Fate of Atlantis, MI3, or The Dig next.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
GF and DOTT didn't come out on those, so it's unlikely. Steam, iOS seems like a safe bet, Android a less safe bet, but possible (GF came out on it, but not DOTT).

I'm looking forward to this, I'll eventually get it. I would like to see MI1/2 SE ported to current consoles (should be relatively easy to do) and then work on remaking Fate of Atlantis, MI3, or The Dig next.

San N Max also. Though without Schaefer's involvement in the development of Atlantis et al. This game may be the last of the Lucasarts back catalogue fun. :(

RAIDEN1

When it comes to the Dig, that games was renowned for having some of the most OBSCURE puzzles in a LucasArts point and click game...and not much humour to it either...so I've relegated that game to watching it as a movie...on Youtube!

I think you can play MI and MI2 via Xbone BC but I'd need to double check.

Would love a Fate of Atlantis remaster, never got round to playing it back in the day.

RAIDEN1

Indy fate of atlantis is avaialble on Steam and GOG.com...but I think a chance of a re-master of that game are slim...otherwise they would have done it by now, hell it might have followed on from the re-master of Monkey island 1 and 2....just like at the moment there isn't a re-master of Monkey Island 3!

Indy fate of atlantis is avaialble on Steam and GOG.com...but I think a chance of a re-master of that game are slim...otherwise they would have done it by now, hell it might have followed on from the re-master of Monkey island 1 and 2....just like at the moment there isn't a re-master of Monkey Island 3!

That reminds me ....why the hell isn't Monkey Island 1+2 available for PS4???

Boem

The Monkey 1 and 2 remasters weren't done by Double Fine but by Lucasgames (which doesn't exist anymore) themselves. They had plans to do more, but while the Monkey 1 remake sold well, the second one didn't, which forced them to cancel those plans. That's why nothing happened for a while there.

After Lucasfilm got sold to Disney (which also included the Lucasgames properties), Double Fine started trying again to see if the new management would be interested in allowing them to make more remakes. Sony was looking at the same time, and that's how that partnership was created. And since Double Fine is Tim Schafer's company, the first games they focused on were the ones he was involved in - Grim, DOTT, and now Throttle. He already expressed interest in doing more, as long as he could get the creative leads of the other games involved, and a lot of it depends on Disney/Sony being willing to fund more.

So Monkey 3 or Fate of Atlantis not being done yet doesn't say a lot about future chances really.

San N Max also. Though without Schaefer's involvement in the development of Atlantis et al. This game may be the last of the Lucasarts back catalogue fun. :(

You know what else would be fun? If LucasArts licensed out the IPs to Schaefer and DoubleFine so they could create a brand new sequels (after he's done porting all the older games to current gen consoles/PC).

McNum

It's been a while since I played it. I wonder if I can still remember all the puzzle solutions by heart. Also, I kind of hope the audio commentary will confirm a small suspicion I had with the game. It shares the driving engine with the engine from Rebel Assault, doesn't it?

Not that I'm expecting Rebel Assault HD or anything, it just really looked like it was what they did for that part.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Did they redraw Ben from memory? I guess it's somewhat impressive if that's the case. Kind of a disaster otherwise.
Gamers are consistently unforgiving when it comes to turning pixellized art into high res. ><

That looks 1:1 like the original game, but sharper.

I don't know what people expect.

Boem

It's been a while since I played it. I wonder if I can still remember all the puzzle solutions by heart. Also, I kind of hope the audio commentary will confirm a small suspicion I had with the game. It shares the driving engine with the engine from Rebel Assault, doesn't it?

Not that I'm expecting Rebel Assault HD or anything, it just really looked like it was what they did for that part.

Yeah they actually talked about that even back then, in their old newsletters. Here's Tim mentioning it again in a recent interview:

Gamers from the 90s will likely remember LucasArts game Star Wars: Rebel Assault, which was developed alongside an animation engine called INSANE (INteractive Streaming ANimation Engine). The intention was to allow compressed full motion video within games – meaning photorealistic visuals could be used in-game, which was relatively rare at the time.

“In the Mine Road sequence of Full Throttle, we used the streaming INSANE engine from Rebel Assault so that the road was constantly coming at you as a pre-rendered movie,” explains Tim.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...s-tuning-up-full-throttle-remastered-for-ps4/

Ogni-XR21

Already preordered on Steam because this really needs mouse controls and I will likely get it as a PS+ game soon anyway but I still want to support Double Fine with these remakes.

When it comes to the Dig, that games was renowned for having some of the most OBSCURE puzzles in a LucasArts point and click game...and not much humour to it either...so I've relegated that game to watching it as a movie...on Youtube!

I actually completed that game without a guide back in the day. I didn't find it extremely hard.

"Thank you, Malcolm Corley, for giving us a dream......that will never die."

This was my first Tim Schafer / non-SW LucasArts game and I loved every second of it. Used to play it every 6 months or so; best story, characters, setting, MUSIC. Can't wait to download the remaster and play again.

I had completely forgotten this was this week!

I grew up on Lucas point 'n clicks and Monkey Island is the first game can I remember playing, but looking back, Full Throttle is the one that had the strongest influence on what I look for in games (and other media) when it comes to storytelling.

Really curious to see what, if anything, has been done to the wall puzzle :lol

Ravidrath

Ben is completely off model.

...Do you have the original model sheets to make this statement, which I'm pretty sure the team actually did?

Because unless you do, you're basically determining it's "off model" based on a 320x240 interpretation. So of course everything looked more rounded.

FinalAres

So is this it for adventure game remasters?

With this and Thimbleweed Park it's an excellent time for point and click, but Thimbleweed Park only seems to have sold about 40k on steam, and as for remasters...i can't think of anything that could be remastered next. CoMI needs a full remake.

What do you think could be next?

eLGee

With this and Thimbleweed Park it's an excellent time for point and click, but Thimbleweed Park only seems to have sold about 40k on steam, and as for remasters...i can't think of anything that could be remastered next. CoMI needs a full remake.

Sam and Max, maybe?

jett

D-Member

It's just that scene, he looks more his usual self in the rest of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0RnsEOH7A

k602koD.jpg

Really been looking forward to this even though I just replayed this again couple of years ago. While it's not quite the best or the most challenging Lucasarts adventure it's without a doubt one of the most stylish. With this and Thimbleweed being released this is a great month to be an adventure game fan. Also playing this will give a nice change to Zelda, Nier and Persona 5.

Boem

Tim himself mentioned he'd like to do all the Lucas adventures, on the condition that he could get the original creative leads involved (he didn't work on any of them that didn't already get a remaster at this point). On that recent IGN stream, he specifically mentioned Sam & Max, Fate of Atlantis, Monkey 3 and Loom (although he was just listing a couple of games he thought would be cool to do - not an announcement of anything).

He also mentioned, in the adventuregamer interview, that the Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango Remasters both sold more than when they originally released back in the day. So that's good at least.

RAIDEN1

I think when it comes to re-masters this will be it for this year, nothing else will be incoming from the guys at DF...thinking it's probably not a good idea to see that video from Gamespot, probably has HUGE amount of spoilers!!

Would be so awesome if the guys at DF, came up with a game that had the style of this game and the longevity of a DOTT and Indy Fate of Atlantis, not going for the whole 3d model look...as was the case with the later Monkey Island games..

Also to this day Monkey Island 3 still holds up wel!

Yeah this game is good. Go buy it, if you haven't played it before. I'm 15% in (played it 20 years ago for the first time). Support the devs for bringing back the old classic games.

ubique

Great game, not a fan of the new look

A guy was playing this on MTV's animation studios and Mike Judge passed by the TV and he thought Ben said "Whenever I smell asshole I think of Maureen"

Shin-Ra

Can confirm there's PS4 Pro 4K support for this, the Remastered artwork's of variable resolution with only the characters (incl. Ben's bike) and some text full sharpness.

Classic pixel art's smooth-upscaled instead of nearest-neighbour in software unfortunately.

Shin-Ra

Had the game freeze up during an enemy crash animation on the mine road so make sure you save beforehand. I think the original had this problem too.

I LOVED this game as a kid. Can't wait to play through it again! Having this, grim fandango and Day of the Tentacle all remastered has been one of the highlights of this gen for me.

Lady Gaia

Tim himself mentioned he'd like to do all the Lucas adventures, on the condition that he could get the original creative leads involved (he didn't work on any of them that didn't already get a remaster at this point).

He was certainly still very positive on the subject when I had a brief chat with him at GDC. Plenty of details and roadblocks to sort through, but it would be great to see. I'd love to see Sam and Max get the treatment. He also indicated that the soundtrack here got some love in the form of new transfers from the original masters. How does the title track sound, for anyone who has fired it up?

Nico_D

Please The Dig - remastered some day.

I replayed The Dig a year ago. It was worse than I remembered, some of the puzzled are obscure.

Oh The Fate of Atlantis was a disappointment too. I remembered it being much better 25 or so years ago.

Full Throttle is a fine game albeit a bit short and easy. But the journey is great! Will buy!

You got that number from steamspy right? While it's a bad number to see, let's look at other LA remakes/IPs:

Grim Fandango - 650K
DOTT - 340K
MI - 550K
MI2 - 440K
TOMI - 210K

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.....OTOH, GF didn't do well on google play store, only between 5 and 10K. Schaefer mentioned we probably won't see DOTT on it, presumably because of low sales of GF.

watership

I'm guessing Xbox is totally shut out from all the Lucasarts remasters? They even came to iphone for god's sake. That's a little disgusting.

Top Bottom