• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Throttle Remastered |OT| Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen...

Agent X

I preordered Full Throlle Remastered on PSN, and now I've got it downloaded to my PS4. Only dabbled with it for about 40 minutes, but I'm digging it so far.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.....OTOH, GF didn't do well on google play store, only between 5 and 10K. Schaefer mentioned we probably won't see DOTT on it, presumably because of low sales of GF.

I don't want to derail the thread too much, but I just got a notification a few minutes ago about a new Humble Bundle pack for Android, which includes Grim Fandango at the $1 tier.

xevis

Banned
I love that this exists but I'm not crazy about the new vector graphics. I'm even less crazy about new details that were added which weren't there before, like the writing on Ben's jacket. Why did they have to brand it? :(

For comparison: old and new.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I love that this exists but I'm not crazy about the new vector graphics. I'm even less crazy about new details that were added which weren't there before, like the writing on Ben's jacket. Why did they have to brand it? :(

I think it's based on the Full Throttle 2 concepts they had at the time.

Budi

Really excited to see first timers getting around to this game, love it myself! Still haven't bought it, but I will soon.

I replayed The Dig a year ago. It was worse than I remembered, some of the puzzled are obscure.

Oh The Fate of Atlantis was a disappointment too. I remembered it being much better 25 or so years ago.

Full Throttle is a fine game albeit a bit short and easy. But the journey is great! Will buy!

The Dig is ruined by the overly obscure and unintuitive puzzles.

I enjoyed it up until you land on the alien planet

My brother loved this on PC back in the day. Still remember getting that PC box and getting it running for the first time. Back when CompUSA existed and EB had a wall for Computer games.

FDC1

Is it me or the volume of voices in-game is low ? It's fine during cinematics. Vita French version here.

jett

D-Member

That's the way it was meant to be bruh.

SPK45sp.jpg

They just didn't bother on the playable sprite because of the low resolution used.

? How big is the game? Shouldn't be bigger than a gig.

Remastered assets, remastered audio, commentary and all that in addition to the original means it's big.

Played for an hour this morning, I'm not a huge fan of the 3D models in the remaster (they stick out from the backgrounds much more than the originals) or some of the art, but I'm still playing the remastered version because the audio mix is so much better.

Wish we could have remastered audio with original graphics...

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Remastered assets, remastered audio, commentary and all that in addition to the original means it's big.

Played for an hour this morning, I'm not a huge fan of the 3D models in the remaster (they stick out from the backgrounds much more than the originals) or some of the art, but I'm still playing the remastered version because the audio mix is so much better.

Wish we could have remastered audio with original graphics...

Day of the Tentacle let you toggle the art from old to new. PC version but the consoles should have the same feature.

Felensis

Banned
Switch version with touch controls in undocked mode.

This would be Day 1 for me! Full Throttle was my first PC game and point 'n click adventure game back in 1995. I don't have a PC (Mac here) nor another console so hopefully this gets at least a macOS version.

xevis

Banned
That's the way it was meant to be bruh.

SPK45sp.jpg

They just didn't bother on the playable sprite because of the low resolution used.

Holy shit! I've been playing this game since release and never noticed. Wow. OK. Props to you for pointing that out. Now if I could just get past the vector graphics.

Do we know if there are other changes? Particularly interested to know if you can play the actual original and not just an updated almost-but-not-quite-the-same facsimile.

Review from TheSixthAxis - 9/10

Full Throttle Remastered is essentially the perfect rework of a classic. Barring a couple of minor issues, LucasArts’ old title has been brought up to modern standards by Double Fine, boasting a brand new look that gives a lot of vibrant detail while maintaining the things that earned Full Throttle its reputation in the first place. It’s clear that Double Fine put a lot of effort into this project, not least because of how important the game is to Tim Schafer, but it’s a great game regardless. Whether you’re a seasoned veteran or an adventure game newcomer, if you’re looking for a game that provides a fun experience with a well executed story then you should get Full Throttle Remastered.

IGN - 8/10

Full Throttle Remastered mostly succeeds on two fronts: As a fresh way to revisit an old classic, and as the ideal entry point for players who haven’t yet smacked rival bikers with a two-by-four on the Mine Road or figured out the combination to Old Man Corley’s safe. There are a couple of sticking points for both old and new players, including some technical issues and (especially for the latter) that questionable “adventure game logic” which is anything but logical. Nevertheless, there’s never been a better time to hit the open road with Ben and his gang.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
xevis said:
Do we know if there are other changes? Particularly interested to know if you can play the actual original and not just an updated almost-but-not-quite-the-same facsimile.

You can turn everything off and play the original. I suspect the game core is the same, and they had a new renderer/overlay sitting on top of the game.

Justinh

Just beat it an hour ago. Took me like 45 minutes which is like... double what it took back in the day, but I watched some of the cutscenes instead of skipping them all.

I made sure to jam a bunny in the fan. I wonder if you get a trophy for that on PS4. Seems like a trophy-able kind of thing

I think it looks pretty damn good in the Remastered version, but I guess I like the pixel-y low resolution mode more. It just looks better to me (~nostalgia). I'm so happy this finally got a digital release since I don't have the disc anymore.

You can turn everything off and play the original. I suspect the game core is the same, and they had a new renderer/overlay sitting on top of the game.

Something I noticed that is even with the Remastered controls "off" that you couldn't skip cutscenes or dialog when jamming left+right click. You need to press the . or backspace buttons.

Maxrunner

This would be Day 1 for me! Full Throttle was my first PC game and point 'n click adventure game back in 1995. I don't have a PC (Mac here) nor another console so hopefully this gets at least a macOS version.

It still won't happen because Tim Shaffer made some kind of deal with Sony.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Something I noticed that is even with the Remastered controls "off" that you couldn't skip cutscenes or dialog when jamming left+right click. You need to press the . or backspace buttons.

I believe it was the same way in the original. ESC also should work.

Boem

Just beat it an hour ago. Took me like 45 minutes which is like... double what it took back in the day, but I watched some of the cutscenes instead of skipping them all.

Man that's very quick. Even if you know the solutions, and even if FT is one of the shorter Lucas adventures. Takes me a lot longer usually - but I'm the kind of guy who likes to see and do everything, and soak in the music and environments. Talk to everyone, look at everything, etc. I'm expecting it will take me even longer this time because of the commentary.

Why would you skip cutscenes? The presentation, writing, characters and story are what make this game so special.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How does it run on ps4? Does it have pro support?

Pro support is in:

Can confirm there's PS4 Pro 4K support for this, the Remastered artwork's of variable resolution with only the characters (incl. Ben's bike) and some text full sharpness.

Classic pixel art's smooth-upscaled instead of nearest-neighbour in software unfortunately.

Justinh

Why would you skip cutscenes? The presentation, writing, characters and story are what make this game so special.

Yeah I feel you on that. I think the VO really helps a lot too. I remember my friend when I was a kid pointed out that he recognized skinny thug's (Nestor's) voice, but we couldn't figure out where we heard it before (probably Brain from Pinky and the Brain).

It's just I have just played the game soo much and I used to play it like...
I'd be like "I got half an hour free before I need to do [thing], lemme see if I can beat Full Throttle." The only thing is that I was usually hoping for a good order for the
"fights."
Like after talking to F. Torque hopefully it would be "boostguy" for his cutscene, then chainsaw girl, then chain guy (careful he doesn't snatch your chainsaw!), then plank guy, then boost guy again, then cavefish guy.

I don't know if the order is random or not, but it didn't feel like it was completely random.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They were tasked with "uprezzing" the original (often easily traceable) artwork. They chose not to do that and drew their own interpretation of a classic character in a style that doesn't match the more faithful parts of this remaster. That's not exactly fantastic.

It looks fantastic to me. Deal with it.

RAIDEN1

Does the Dig REALLY need re-mastering? As it is available on Steam and GOG? Surely that would suffice? Instead they should look at Loom and Indy Jones and Fate of Atlantis which are much the superior games..

Been playing the FT remaster for the last hour - first time I've played FT in over a decade. Beein using F1 to switch to old mode in every screen to check the difference. As a remaster job it's better then the DOTT remaster, but yeah, it's still off.

Just gotten to the Derby. Ugh, I forgot this horrific "puzzle" existed.

JP

Geez, Double Fine. What have you done (again)?

Did they redraw Ben from memory? I guess it's somewhat impressive if that's the case. Kind of a disaster otherwise.
For some reason, the newer images are at a different aspect ratio in these captures. The artwork hasn't changed though, apart from the resolution.
YyWkR3T.png
zVQo3hy.png

Du2andal

Banned
Does the Dig REALLY need re-mastering? As it is available on Steam and GOG? Surely that would suffice? Instead they should look at Loom and Indy Jones and Fate of Atlantis which are much the superior games..

The Dig is an absolute gem and it came out so late in the adventure game cycle that I think a whole bunch of people who would have been inclined to play it never got to try it out. Loom and Indy found their audiences to a much greater extent at the time I suspect. Of course, almost all of the LucasArts games have aged pretty well and would benefit from some modern love.

The real question is who is going to champion these games and bring them back? Clearly double fine is cool with bringing back Schafer's games. Something like Loom and Indy could probably find an advocate with the resources to make something happen. Who the hell is going to fight for The Dig? I predict nobody, but hey, i just got finished playing a bit of the Voodoo Vince remaster so what the hell do I know?

I'm surprised to see this isn't on Mac, actually. Day of the Tentacle Remastered was PC/Mac/Linux on Steam. Hopefully it gets updated.

Boem

Just started it up and played a bit of the intro sequence. Will have to wait a couple of days until I have the time to fully dive into it.

But man it looks so good. Double Fine has been doing amazing work on these remakes. Loved Grim, loved DOTT, loving this. Small nitpicks aside this is absolutely amazing for me. And that clean soundtrack <3

Man why do I have stuff to do right now. This game needs to be played.

I'm surprised to see this isn't on Mac, actually. Day of the Tentacle Remastered was PC/Mac/Linux on Steam. Hopefully it gets updated.

It's coming on Mac, here's what one of the devs said on the forums:

For the question of platforms, we have a contract deadline we have to hit for early-ish next year, so we are focusing our effort on PS4, Vita and Windows for launch. After the initial launch we will be fixing bugs and addressing the feedback from the community (like we did for DOTT) while also working on the OSX, Linux and iOS versions. Trust me, we would love to release everything on day-one, but we are a pretty small team and don't want to compromise the quality of the game by spreading ourselves too thin.

Top Bottom