• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fullbright Company decides not to show Gone Home at PAX Indie Megabooth in protest

Kuroyume

Banned
I agree with a lot of the criticism. Bother me though that the Vanillaware things was brought up. Artists should be allowed to represent women or men as they please. I can't stand censorship.

Their forum admin backed out on a promise he made for Child's Play until forum members started calling them on it.

Other forum members egged on a female forum member to meet up with a guy on Craigslist or some such alternative to explore sex that included cutting. She came back and said he cut her genitals and she might need to go to the hospital. Everyone that egged her on was just like, "Oh I'm sorry that sucks you should go to the hospital".

They have sections where you can talk about the daily strips but infract anyone with a negative opinion.

PA is pretty fucking awful. Community wise, at least.

With that said, I still think dickwolves wasn't that bad. The butt of the joke were the assholes who minimize rape/couldn't care less, not the actual victim. But if the PA guys were smart enough to explain that instead of getting offended that someone got the wrong idea, it would have ended better, so that's their own fault as well. But even then, they probably shouldn't have used that type of situation to get their point across anyway.

Good for Fullbright. Good to see people taking action instead of simply talking.

tumblr_inline_mg9u4of2sE1ro2d43.gif

well okay.

I think you have an obligation to realize that gaming, as a whole, is trying and progressing on this front. I think that the general acknowledgement of Gabe's comments as inappropriate and offensive is all you really need without praising people who back out of PAX and expecting more extreme behavior from others.

Gabe was wrong and the industry has acknowledged that. Any further action just serves to punish Gabe for being wrong rather than working towards an more inclusive future. Seeking to hurt those you disagree with is not the way to make these issues more palatable to the masses.

Again, this is about punishment, not justice. People are so incensed at Orson Scott Card's comments that they want to punish anyone willing to do business with him. That not about gay marriage. That's petty and superficial. Card is wrong and offensively so, but hiring a writer who is good at writing doesn't make the creators of Shadow Complex into similar monsters.

Are you implying that declining to attend Pax is extreme behavior? Fullbright said they wouldn't feel comfortable there and so they aren't attending. How is that extreme?

aeolist

Banned
IIRC, the blowup about the dickwolves comic wasn't actually about the comic, there were only a couple bloggers who wrote some mild criticisms of the comic, bloggers you wouldn't expect PA or any of their fanbase to pay attention to anyway. The blowup happened when the PA fanbase got word of those blogs and began inundating them (and other feminist blogs) with vile, misogynistic comments, while the PA guys just stood by and claimed to have nothing to do with them. Naturally, this escalated to a larger flamewar that they, rather than try to defuse in any way, just kept adding fuel to with trollish tweets directed at feminists and even rape victims, because that's how they react to even mild criticism.

exactly

most of the internet controversies they've been involved with have only become significant because they specifically fueled the fire with horrible posts on the site or twitter

Right, but they are not automatically granted space and time at private events. People who run private events are free to structure them as they wish.

Very true, which is likely why they structured it to allow as many viewpoints as needed?

If anything, when you pack up and go home, you make situations like this worse by removing a voice from the dialogue. The "proper" move would have been to hold a panel on transphobia, not take your ball and leave.

aeolist

Banned
I agree with a lot of the criticism. Bother me though that the Vanillaware things was brought up. Artists should be allowed to represent women or men as they please. I can't stand censorship.

tycho's view on the controversy was that art should be exempt from criticism, essentially

i believe that this is what they were referring to

Again, this is about punishment, not justice. People are so incensed at Orson Scott Card's comments that they want to punish anyone willing to do business with him. That not about gay marriage. That's petty and superficial. Card is wrong and offensively so, but hiring a writer who is good at writing doesn't make the creators of Shadow Complex into similar monsters.

So you think justice is to pretend people aren't cognisant of the wrongs of those they do business with? You have an interesting view of justice.

Coxswain

Nobody was ever censoring anybody. Criticism isn't censorship; an artist is allowed to represent whatever he or she wants in whatever way he or she wants, but people have to have the exact same freedom to criticise their art.

thumb

Banned

I don't believe you understand what the controversy was about. Even the post linked in this thread has an implicit objection to the claim that the Dragon's Crown issue was "censorship". The overall issue was art criticism in context.

Sqorgar

Banned
it makes them slightly shittier people for doing business with someone who publicly and vocally holds those views
This is about punishing Gabe. Gabe is not Penny Arcade. He is part of it. The other members of Penny Arcade may not share his views, and indeed may hold contrary views. PAX is not actively working against the transgender community, and thus exclusion from PAX will make exactly jack shit difference. This is just a bully tactic to make people afraid to speak unapproved comments involving transgender issues.

i really can't understand why you think there's something wrong with refusing to do business with someone who says or does things you find uncomfortable and offensive to your beliefs. that's just insane to me.
I have no problem with that, but I know the difference between making a stance and trying to punish those who disagree with me. For instance, I boycott Chic-fil-a because they directly donate money to groups who actively work to oppress gay marriage. In this situation, I would be a willing participant, as my money would support those organizations directly.

However, having Orson Scott Card write a video game that doesn't tackle gay issues or religion doesn't really seem to directly support his views. It supports Orson Scott Card. And while he has opinions I don't agree with, opinions can and will change. I'm not willing to damage his livelihood as a punishment for having those views - only not supporting him acting upon those views. If he decides to write a book about how gay people are icky, then we have a problem. But if he writes a book that has nothing to do with gay people, then his opinions on that subject are irrelevant.

Don't seek to punish those you disagree with. Instead, try to change their mind and, failing that, minimize the damage of their actions. But don't write them off as assholes for all time.

Jamie OD

I find it funny they realize they won't be missed and are doing this anyway. It is quite stupid to damage your business for things nobody will remember a week from now.

They will get so much more attention and appreciation doing this than just appearing at PAX, funnily enough.

Azull

Their forum admin backed out on a promise he made for Child's Play until forum members started calling them on it.

Other forum members egged on a female forum member to meet up with a guy on Craigslist or some such alternative to explore sex that included cutting. She came back and said he cut her genitals and she might need to go to the hospital. Everyone that egged her on was just like, "Oh I'm sorry that sucks you should go to the hospital".

They have sections where you can talk about the daily strips but infract anyone with a negative opinion.

With that said, I still think dickwolves wasn't that bad. The butt of the joke were the assholes who minimize rape/couldn't care less, not the actual victim. But if the PA guys were smart enough to explain that instead of getting offended that someone got the wrong idea, it would have ended better, so that's their own fault as well. But even then, they probably shouldn't have used that type of situation to get their point across anyway.

Good for Fullbright. Good to see people taking action instead of simply talking.

This can't be real. Can it?

Fehyd

Banned
you can't pretend that making an action game centered around a huge burly white dude mowing down hordes of black people, including sections with the enemies dressed as stereotypical tribesmen in grass skirts with spears and shields and one with a bunch of them dragging off a screaming white woman, isn't full of racist imagery

that it was set in africa only adds colonialism to the stack of issues it deals with horribly

But see, the game was created and designed by Japanese developers. Just because it has "racist imagery" doesn't mean the issue is with the imagery, the issue is with the person interpreting it as racist.

I'm also questioning if you even played RE5. At no point does a tribally painted figure carry off a white woman (the individual is regularly clothed, and, funny enough In fact, there's some tribal backstory with the majini that makes them to be unfortunate victims instead of a kill em all simulator.

Either way, its probably better to continue any sort of discussion via PM's so we don't muck up the works in the main thread.

Kyou

So glad I bailed on that forum when it started getting bad a decade ago

If only the panelists had an opportunity to display what their panel was about somehow, like.. a public description, or something...

Which is not proof enough to tell if they're bigots or not.

Again we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not gonna call names blindly.

thumb

Banned
Very true, which is likely why they structured it to allow as many viewpoints as needed?

If anything, when you pack up and go home, you make situations like this worse by removing a voice from the dialogue. The "proper" move would have been to hold a panel on transphobia, not take your ball and leave.

They're independent developers, not advocates. You're assuming that they have both the time and skill necessary to hold a panel on a complex and delicate issue.

Sax_Man

Banned
I find it sort of sad that the most prevalent reaction to Mike's ignorance, while inappropriately displayed, is condemnation.

It seems to me that the proper thing to do would be to try to talk to the person about the issue and help them understand all aspects of it. From his post, it seems that Mike is not a bad person, nor is he trying to be bigoted (although, as he himself observes, his attitude becomes snarkish when he is attacked.)

Animosity serves no one in this debate.

They're well within their rights to do so and I applaud anybody who lives by their principles.

That said, there is a rather large difference between disagreement and hate.

This is about punishing Gabe. Gabe is not Penny Arcade. He is part of it. The other members of Penny Arcade may not share his views, and indeed may hold contrary views. PAX is not actively working against the transgender community, and thus exclusion from PAX will make exactly jack shit difference. This is just a bully tactic to make people afraid to speak unapproved comments involving transgender issues.
My take as well.

aeolist

Banned
you'll find that the rest of PA is being entirely silent on this point. one of the forum mods went so far as to shut down discussion on the subject yesterday and told people to discuss twitter issues on twitter.

and social pressure against saying bigoted things is entirely appropriate. if you think people should just be able to say whatever horrible shit they want without anyone being able to hold them responsible for it then you and i will never see eye to eye.

freddy

Banned
I find it sort of sad that the most prevalent reaction to Mike's ignorance, while inappropriately displayed, is condemnation.

It seems to me that the proper thing to do would be to try to talk to the person about the issue and help them understand all aspects of it. From his post, it seems that Mike is not a bad person, nor is he trying to be bigoted (although, as he himself observes, his attitude becomes snarkish when he is attacked.)

This isn't the first time the issue has come up with him.

Ezra2680

holding opinions that are naive and ignorant and responding to people who criticize you for them in a strongly offensive and negative way will make bad shit happen

How is believing that people with vagina's are women and people with penis's are men a naive opinion? Last time I checked, that is a scientific fact. That person may see them selves as something else, but by science, they are still male or female based off their genitals.

aeolist

Banned
Not even close to what he was saying.

It’s very weird to pull up a story about a game with frankly visionary art and hear why it shouldn’t exist, or to hear what I supposedly fantasize about, or what kind of power I supposedly revere, and any attempt to defend oneself from these psychotic projections or to assert that creators may create is evidence of a dark seed sprouting in the heart. It’s an incredible state of affairs. They’re not censors, though - oh, no no. You’ll understand it eventually; what you need to do is censor yourself.

uh huh

How is believing that people with vagina's are women and people with penis's are men a naive opinion? Last time I checked, that is a scientific fact. That person may see them selves as something else, but by science, they are still male or female based off their genitals.

Gender and sex are separate concepts.

Sqorgar

Banned
Are you implying that declining to attend Pax is extreme behavior? Fullbright said they wouldn't feel comfortable there and so they aren't attending. How is that extreme?
I'm saying it is unhelpful. There's an opportunity to move forward here, to reach new understanding and improve the industry for all members, and instead, these guys are taking their ball and going home. They don't want to enter the discussion, they want to apply peer pressure to those that do.

First off the goal of those boycotting is to prevent money going into Gabes pocket on their behalf which they're succeeding in. To simply call it a bully tactic is no more ludicrous than to suggest that Mike's public views aren't a part of penny arcade, a company which condone these views by doing nothing when he says them.

Sax_Man

Banned
This isn't the first time the issue has come up with him.

I realize that, and the same could be said of all people who "believe they are right" and are dismissive of other people's ideas and feelings. It doesn't diminish the importance of trying to have that dialogue.

probune

And internet dwellers still continue to misunderstand what the word censorship means.

It's not censorship to find something in poor taste and come out saying so. No one is preventing the Vanillaware artist from designing whatever characters he wants to. He has the freedom to draw the art just as those of us in the audience have the freedom to critique it.

Same way with the people who seem to think that opponents of Mike/Gabe's comments are "censorship thoughtcrime police". I think the comments he's made are disgusting and ignorant, and his response is even worse, and we have as much freedom to say it as he does to spout those comments.

JDSN

Banned

Gender and biological sex arent the same thing, it is the same for most of the population, but for 1 in 30,000 it isnt.

Calling for a piece of art not to exist is censorship. Saying a piece of art is harmful to society implies what? Call the art dumb, ugly, gross, etc, criticism is fine, but trying to attribute it to the ills of society reeks of someone suggesting censorship.

It's not censorship to find something in poor taste and come out saying so. No one is preventing the Vanillaware artist from designing whatever characters he wants to. He has the freedom to draw the art just as those of us in the audience have the freedom to critique it.

You're right if thats all they were saying, but it is censorship when people are calling for the artist to change how they choose to portray women.

Spoo

Okay, so, I no nothing about PAX and Jerry/Mike, but I thought they apologized for their ridiculous statements on Twitter?

As much as I completely support any company or anyone, really, pulling out of an engagement because they don't want to support someones viewpoint (or for it to seem as if it is approval of the view), doesn't it mean something to support, I don't know, the apologetic people? We live in an age where getting an apology out of someone is a difficult thing -- because, lets face it, it's hard to admit when we're wrong. But I don't know why you would move out from under PAX if the people who made those statements asked for forgiveness.

I don't support rape-culture. I do support the forgiving-culture?

Sqorgar

Banned
you'll find that the rest of PA is being entirely silent on this point. one of the forum mods went so far as to shut down discussion on the subject yesterday and told people to discuss twitter issues on twitter.
This is not their first rodeo. Gabe has pulled this shit before and they have discovered that the absolute best way to deal with it is to not comment on it until they have put together an appropriate response. In a few days, Tycho will write a long news post addressing the needs of the transgendered community that will be solemn, serious, and considerate - this will become Penny Arcade's official stance on the subject. Gabe will add to this post with an apology of his own, and while it will be half hearted at best, it will ultimately show that Gabe is not steering the ship and that his comments had less impact on Penny Arcade's behavior than people are assuming now.

It's like you guys have never read Penny Arcade before.

and social pressure against saying bigoted things is entirely appropriate.
You think that if you can just bully the bullies, it will all go away? No. Transgender issues require understanding, not the threat of reprisal.

if you think people should just be able to say whatever horrible shit they want without anyone being able to hold them responsible for it then you and i will never see eye to eye.
I don't think that at all. I think people have to answer for their own mistakes. However, I don't think the issue here is what Gabe said. I think the issue here is that people want the punishment to be so swift and so severe that nobody will ever make that mistake again. I'm very much against the idea of bullying people into agreeing with you, or at least scaring them into not speaking.

someday

Banned
I find it funny they realize they won't be missed and are doing this anyway. It is quite stupid to damage your business for things nobody will remember a week from now.

Sometimes you do things because you feel it's the right thing to do. It isn't about money or fame.

They're independent developers, not advocates. You're assuming that they have both the time and skill necessary to hold a panel on a complex and delicate issue.

I think that's a fair assumption; if they are offended enough to pull out of PAX, then rationally they must be knowledgeable enough about the subject to be offended in the first place, and have enough resources that the PAX exposure is less valuable to the company than their values.

That said, I think PA is well within the bounds to say the things they have said, but Fullbright is also within their right to pull out (as another form of expression).

marrec

Banned
How can I support this company

Half the company made Minerva's Den (while with one of the 2K studios), so you could buy that I guess... they might get residuals for that?

Otherwise just tell everyone about Gone Home, it's going to be a fantastic game anyway.

Sibylus

Banned
Said this in the other thread, but I've nothing but respect for Steve and the team. My purchase went from a "maybe" to a "yes".

Coxswain

Calling for a piece of art not to exist is censorship. Saying a piece of art is harmful to society implies what? Call the art dumb, ugly, gross, etc, criticism is fine, but trying to attribute it to the ills of society reeks of someone suggesting censorship.

Censorship is the use of legal force or physical force to restrict someone's speech. Saying "This shouldn't exist" or "Destroy this right now!" or even "This is hurting people by existing" is not and never will be censorship, unless you're bringing to bear legal or physical force to destroy the work you're criticizing.

Sqorgar

Banned
First off the goal of those boycotting is to prevent money going into Gabes pocket on their behalf which they're succeeding in.
Gabe does not need your fucking money. The idea that hitting him in his pocketbook is the way to keep him in line is foolish and idiotic. And again, this is about punishment. He did something wrong, and you guys want him to hurt for it. That's not right, no matter how you look at it.

To simply call it a bully tactic is no more ludicrous than to suggest that Mike's public views aren't a part of penny arcade, a company which condone these views by doing nothing when he says them.
I have been on the business end of Gabe's wrath, and I've had, what seemed like, the entire internet out for my blood. It was an extremely unpleasant period of my life that had very serious repercussions on my professional life. It was based entirely on a misunderstanding - one that was cleared up much later through Tycho. I have never received an apology, but I'm not going around demanding that they give me one or else.

So trust me. If I'm here defending Penny Arcade, it is not because I think Penny Arcade deserves my support or admiration. I know exactly how much of Gabe's moronic views and comments steer the Penny Arcade ship, and I assure you that there are much more level heads there to keep him from sinking it.

Top Bottom