• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fumito Ueda on GTAIV, Mario Galaxy, game creation and other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Issun23

If you read the whole interview you'll find that he's not dissing anything. He says that he found GTA4 a bit repetitive and expected more out of SMG. Plus there's loads more in there than just talking about those two games.

Like this bit here:

Ueda listened to the first track but felt that it somehow took away much of the illusion of strange reality he had been trying to create with the graphics. Ueda asked her to take away that track and instead replace it with naturally occuring sounds. History repeated itself and the first time Ueda played through the whole game he realised there was no music left. He became surprised because he had thought that at least half of the soundtrack was kept, but he trusted his gut feeling and kept his silent game as he felt that the game unconsciously told him it wanted to be that way.

It's fascinating to learn how ICO ended up with such a sober choice of music.

My biggest problem with SotC are the controls. Completely unintuitive and it takes many people out of the game. Hope Guardian doesn't have the same problem.

AltogetherAndrews said:
If you read the text, you'd notice that the dude in question felt that gamers and the press made a big deal out of nothing. Nor does he claim ownership of the idea. Good job there.

dude, let him go. better for everyone.

Darkpen

Banned
That was an excellent read (the full interview, I mean).

When he brings up the aspect of riding Agro, I recall the fact that Agro controls very much more realistically than most horses in games, whether its wooden horses like Epona in Zelda, or the more recent Call of Juarez with horses that not only ride smoothly, but crash into buildings without a scratch.

I would love to see and feel the cat/bird in motion, especially in riding it.

There aren't a terrible amount of games that try to emulate controlling real animals, with maybe exception with Lair, but as far as I could tell with the demo, Lair was perhaps less than ideal in its use of motion controls.

For a bit of perspective this is the outlook of a man that makes an entirely different game and IP each time around, obsessing about psychological and emotive impacts within his games as interactive storytelling commenting on GTA4 (which is really like 6 or 7 in the series) and Mario 8.

Its cool that Braid was his favourite game was from last year though.

pakkit

Banned
Darkpen said:
There aren't a terrible amount of games that try to emulate controlling real animals, with maybe exception with Lair, but as far as I could tell with the demo, Lair was perhaps less than ideal in its use of motion controls.

?

Alex

I'm not that big on Ueda,although he sure as fuck knows how to pick genres, art and aural direction.

But anyone that makes a brand new IP with every new game deserves more praise than most by default. How many new Mario games are on the release lists? Has it broken double digits yet?

Darkpen

Banned
pakkit said:
I meant the idea of simulating the control of being an individual steering an animal, and the closest approximations that our imagination and game design would allow for such including the imaginary, like dragons.

TheExodu5

Banned
°°ToMmY°° said:
yeah, sales-age at its finest.

guess stephen king could shit on nitzsche since he's more popular and his books sell quite a bit more.

sales-age GAF is always retarded.

See, why do people do this shit? I honestly don't know why anyone would be eager to shit on SMG unless they're trying to whore for attention or they're a professional sadsack grumpus like AltogetherAndrews. This comment just invites comparisons that aren't really flattering to Ueda even if one agrees that his games are quite good.

Kind of disappointed to hear him yammer on about "reality," too, when the aspects of his games that are the the most interesting and effective are the evocative, unreal fantasy elements. But I'm glad to hear him talk about the primacy of gameplay as superior to and more important than artistic expression. That's really where ICO fell down for me, so I'm hoping Last Guardian is more like SotC in that respect.

Hachimaki

Boerseun said:
GTAIV is boring, but so is everything Ueda has ever done.

Yeah fighting this was really boring.

img_3605_sotc_001.jpg

Darkpen

Banned
Kandrick said:
I didnt, but i played the games, well i played Ico only.

And it was boring.
you know what's funny? I played SotC when that came out, and while it was an interesting experience, I don't recall it as fondly as some posters (though definitely not as negatively as some do either). But I recently played ICO for the first time, and it was a really wonderful, albeit occasionally frustrating, experience.

It makes me wonder how my perception of games have changed over the years, but of course, its also a matter of opinion as well. Maybe you should try playing SotC, and you'd be a bit more enlightened.

Alex said:
Miyamoto could be dead, and people would still be crediting him with other folks work.

seriously

Miyamoto was incredible in the past, but talking about games coming out today, he ain't bad, he ain't nothing.

I love the mature level of discussion that always results from news stories like this one.

headline: famous game designer actually has opinions about games other than his own, and uh-oh they might be critical opinions at that!

"lol well he sucks and his game are balls so what does he know."

I love Galaxy, and I'm also a huge fan of Ueda's work. This news story does not change my opinion on either. gasp

Did you guys know that you can have great respect for something and be able to critique it at the same time? You can love Galaxy and GTA4 and be able to look at them critically. And if you can do it, so can game designers. Let's not send the message to developers that they're supposed to just shut up and not voice their opinions on their peers' work.

Doubledex

Banned
Alex said:
I'm not that big on Ueda,although he sure as fuck knows how to pick genres, art and aural direction.

But anyone that makes a brand new IP with every new game deserves more praise than most by default. How many new Mario games are on the release lists? Has it broken double digits yet?
Shhhhhhht! The guy who makes Marilo 12312312, Mario Tennis 23423432, Dr. Mario 3234324, Super Mario 4535443, Mario Golf 3423432, Mario ....3423432432 is a genius!
Who the hell is this Fumito-guy which all developers in the world love? They guy who inspired the developers around the world in the last 10 years most?
;)

..god my english-grammar kills me ;-p

Darkpen

Banned
charlequin said:
See, why do people do this shit? I honestly don't know why anyone would be eager to shit on SMG unless they're trying to whore for attention or they're a professional sadsack grumpus like AltogetherAndrews. This comment just invites comparisons that aren't really flattering to Ueda even if one agrees that his games are quite good.

Kind of disappointed to hear him yammer on about "reality," too, when the aspects of his games that are the the most interesting and effective are the evocative, unreal fantasy elements. But I'm glad to hear him talk about the primacy of gameplay as superior to and more important than artistic expression. That's really where ICO fell down for me, so I'm hoping Last Guardian is more like SotC in that respect.
Wow, really?

Of course I have played it, I couldn't resist after hearing that Miyamoto-san was inspired by me. But I have to say that I had expected a little more. That particular level (and the rest of the game) wasn't as entertaining as it could have been. I think the press and the fans made too much of a fuss about him (Miyamoto) borrowing from me. And the atmosphere on the internet became a little heavy. What I'm critical against isn't the fact that they borrowed something that actually isn't even originally from me, but the fact that they didn't make anything more interesting out of it.

Surprise surprise, someone has an opinion on games he has played, and wants to express it.

Also, while you may feel that ICO fell down for you in its gameplay endeavors, I highly disagree, as someone who recently played ICO for the first time. It does everything that a game needs to do, or rather, that a lot of games should think about trying but don't at risk of not being mainstream. SotC was a clear change of pace, but still retained the Ueda-ness of his games, which can be found in its "realism" and puzzles.

Acid08

Banned
farnham said:
maybe if shinji mikami, miyamoto shigeru, ken levine and will wright suddenly died a mysterious death..
Mikami who's making yet another fucking action game.
Miyamoto who has been designing the same fucking games for 20 years
Will Wright who made the massive disappointment that is Spore
Levine....we'll see what his next project is, but I think it'll be incredible.

Still, Ueda does more for the medium than any of those designers.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Acid08 said:

:lol :lol

jetpacks was yes said:
I love Galaxy, and I'm also a huge fan of Ueda's work. This news story does not change my opinion on either. gasp

Did you guys know that you can have great respect for something and be able to critique it at the same time? You can love Galaxy and GTA4 and be able to look at them critically at the same time. And if you can do it, so can game designers. Let's not send the message to designers that they're supposed to just shut up and not voice their opinions on their peers' work.
This should be in the OP.
Sometimes I think gamers hold back games more than anyone/anything else.

farnham

Banned
Acid08 said:

okay

so what did ueda made outside of action games...

and wii sports, mario, zelda and wii fit are the same.. how??

spore might be a dissapointment for all the hype it got.. but still its the first game that embraced user DLC sharing which is the biggest thing on gaming right now..

and i completely dont agree with your last sentence

Evlar

Banned
Acid08 said:

Just quoting the man who can only remember one game by Miyamoto and Will Wright.

stalker

well, if we are to believe that the robot in Galaxy is inspired by SOTC bosses, I guess we could also believe that some SOTC bosses are inspired by the flying bird stage in Sunshine

Darkpen

Banned
Station42 said:
I found the swimming TLOZ: twilight princess boss to be more SOTC-like than anything in mario galaxy.
...which one was that?

For some reason, the boss that reminds me most of SotC is the one boss fight w/ the spinning wheel that you ride on.

I like both SOTC and Galaxy. Not seeing the big deal here.

GTAIV does suck though. I know he didn't say that but whatevs.

I don't even see the similarities. Climbing on a giant boss wasn't new when SOTC did it. Thing is SOTC took a different approach and was all the better for it.

Darkpen

Banned
stalker said:
well, if we are to believe that the robot in Galaxy is inspired by SOTC bosses, I guess we could also believe that some SOTC bosses are inspired by the flying bird stage in Sunshine
What I find funny is that this bit with Miyamoto being inspired by Ueda for that boss is apparently old news, and people are making a huge deal out of it, as it apparently did months ago. Did GAF miss this or something?

Acid08

Banned
farnham said:
okay

so what did ueda made outside of action games...

and wii sports, mario, zelda and wii fit are the same.. how??

spore might be a dissapointment for all the hype it got.. but still its the first game that embraced user DLC sharing which is the biggest thing on gaming right now..

and i completely dont agree with your last sentence
As far as storytelling in games goes, Ueda is does more than all of them, even Levine.

Wii Sports is not a new type of game. There have been many light sports games before. The only difference is this one uses the Wiimote. Also considering the latest Zelda was the worst one in over 10 years, I don't give TP much credit. Mario Galaxy was a great game, I do love it, but what have we seen from Mario since its release? Another Mario Galaxy and a co-op game. The co-op games sounds cool, but I think a lot of people expected the next Mario to be a different concept, not just more Galaxy. Also you can expect the Wii Sports and Wii Fit franchises to go down the same path as Mario and Zelda. New ones that don't do a whole lot different from the previous ones, and they're going to be released for years to come.

Also massive LOL at you calling Ico an action game.

Evlar said:
Just quoting the man who can only remember one game by Miyamoto and Will Wright.

Oh I remember their other games. It just doesn't seem right to compare SMB, the first Sims, or any of the SimCity games considering how different they are. But I guess that's what this thread is turning into anyway.

fanboyism on neogaf is reaching critical mass on here again... funny how people on here are expressing extreme opinions on games, generated by someone else's personal opinion on games...urgh

nelsonroyale said:
fanboyism on neogaf is reaching critical mass on here again... funny how people on here are expressing extreme opinions on games, generated by someone else's personal opinion on games...urgh
When did it last happen? I have only been here a little less than a year, does the forum explode or implode at critical mass?

Evlar

Banned
Darkpen said:
...which one was that?

For some reason, the boss that reminds me most of SotC is the one boss fight w/ the spinning wheel that you ride on.
It's the boss of the Water Temple. It's a giant eel with an eye on its back, and you have to grab the eye to pull yourself onto the back of the creature and then slice at it with your sword.

Here's a clip (see the SotC part starting at 2:30): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-O-UxaVMrM

Acid08

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
When did it last happen? I have only been here a little less than a year, does the forum explode or implode at critical mass?
I think KZ2 was the last game that caused a fanboy explosion.

Evlar said:
It's boss of the Water Temple (I think). It's a giant eel with an eye on its back, and you have to grab the eye to pull yourself onto the back of the creature and then slice at it with your sword.

Here's a clip (see the SotC part starting at 2:30): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-O-UxaVMrM

scenes such as this were done in games before Ocarina... considering the complex puzzles in SOTC its pretty tenuous. The concept of SOTC is pretty basic, the way that it is implemented is entirely innovative...funnily enough, it seems like it could be GoW 3 which most builds on this concept

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Stoney Mason said:
I quite like his games but he should probably stick to making his games and let that do the talking rather than talking about other games that are far more popular than his and sell quite a bit more.

Really? So he can't express his opinion the same way you do? And your contribution to society is...? After all, anything you've talked about is far more popular and sells quite a bit more than anything you've ever done right?

dylanwhat.gif

He wasn't even dogging the game! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom