• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fumito Ueda on GTAIV, Mario Galaxy, game creation and other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to pay close attention to this part
I get my inspiration from music, books and movies, but most of it from games. I play a lot of games, and I look from a very critical view of the games I play.

With games being his biggest inspiration, he's going to be a lot more critical on them than the average gamer is.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Ueda's criticism of his fellow game designers' work is amusing to me, but it's even more amusing when he says he hopes people will come back and play his games far into the future and have fun. Shadow of the Colossus was a clunky piece of brown shit that is forever handicapped by its technological limitations and will not age well.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Ueda's criticism of his fellow game designers' work is amusing to me, but it's even more amusing when he says he hopes people will come back and play his games far into the future and have fun. Shadow of the Colossus was a clunky piece of brown shit that is forever handicapped by its technological limitations and will not age well.
I give up. This is getting ridiculous.

Seriously though I respect the fact that Ueda takes on a more critical viewpoint when he looks at games. If every reviewer did that maybe I'd start reading reviews again.

Is it just me or are the Japanese more arrogant than the rest of the world? Miyamoto was dissing the other motion control designs, Ueda dissing GTAIV and Mario Galaxy, then there's Kuturagi and Itagaki...

Darkpen said:
What I find funny is that this bit with Miyamoto being inspired by Ueda for that boss is apparently old news, and people are making a huge deal out of it, as it apparently did months ago. Did GAF miss this or something?
Dunno its news to me.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
°°ToMmY°° said:
yeah, sales-age at its finest.

guess stephen king could shit on nitzsche since he's more popular and his books sell quite a bit more.

Who the hell is "nitzsche"? Is he dead?

I'm interested in Ueda's discussion of the technological boundaries, I can't help but feel that Shadow was really hampered in ways by them. There's this great vision and breadth that is often brought to frustration because it's butting up against the physical limitations of the system he's building it on. I hope he finds a better way with these new systems, can't wait to see the result.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
This thread is proof GAF is full of hypersensitive and retarded system warriors. "omg he didnt say smg was the second advent!!! his games are shit!!111"
You're embarrassing. At least this is a developer who talks about other games, not the typical "no, I don't play any games" thinly veiled trollish lie who really means "all other games are shit and not worth my time" and reeks of arrogance and idiocy.

DKnight said:
This thread is proof GAF is full of hypersensitive and retarded system warriors. "OMG HE DIDNT SAY SMG WAS THE SECOND ADVENT!!! HIS GAMES ARE SHIT!!111"

Jesus man shut the hell up.
Way too many fuckers using all caps lately to get their point across.

sonicmj1

I'm not sure if I'm going to articulate this well, but I find it interesting how his games start with a mechanic ("holding hands" in Ico, for example), and then the plot, atmosphere, characters, and everything else are built from there solely to support the mechanic.

I think that most games start first with a mechanic, and that isn't unusual. However, oftentimes the mechanics feel divorced from the world or the plot. The real strength of Ueda's games is the way every element reinforces each other, and it's interesting to see how that begins with the gameplay, and not elsewhere. Because of that, the animation, the environments, and the world have a consistency and veracity that a lot of other titles lack.

His criticism of Super Mario Galaxy is (it seems intentionally) very vague, so it's hard to evaluate.

Davidion

There be some angry-ass people in this thread. I loved Galaxy too but damn, is what he said really all THAT offensive?

Danielsan

TheRagnCajun said:
Is it just me or are the Japanese more arrogant than the rest of the world? Miyamoto was dissing the other motion control designs, Ueda dissing GTAIV and Mario Galaxy, then there's Kuturagi and Itagaki...
How is Ueda being arrogant? He simply states his impressions of two games that he has played. I haven't played SMG but what he says about GTAIV is spot on. In many ways that game took more steps backwards than forwards, it clearly lacked innovation. He also makes it clear that the concept of giant scalable bosses isn't a concept that originated from him.

The guy is incredibly intelligent and very critical of both his own and others' work. He's without a doubt my most respected person in the game industry. He's not afraid to state his critical opinions and I wish there were more people in the industry like that (particularly on the review side). Perhaps then I would have been spared the boredom that is GTAIV.

Speevy

Banned
Oh goodness, RAAAAAGE.

SOTC and ICO are brilliant games that helped define their generation's evolution of game design.

I think Super Mario Galaxy is an amazing game and I wish for this thread's sake that he had stopped at the vastly overrated GTA4, but what are you going to do?

How many PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube games are we still talking about all these years later?

Very few, but SOTC and ICO will always be among them.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Station42 said:
I found the swimming TLOZ: twilight princess boss to be more SOTC-like than anything in mario galaxy.

Agreed, the fish and the dragon boss were very reminiscent of SOTC... disagree with Ueda shitting on Galaxy, as I like that game (and his two games) a whole lot. But the hate for GTA4 is definitely justified.

Oliver.S

God, so much hate and rage about such a little thing. Fanboy scum.

jett said:
it even had the "changing music" thing.
Interactive music is a Nintendo thing since the SMW days.

By the way, the original (cut out) final boss fight with Ganon in OoT was like a SotC fight. Too bad they couldn't make it (framerate problems).

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Oliver.S said:
SMW? really? you mean the added beats when you're riding Yoshi? I don't think that compares. At least say Monkey Island 2, although that's still a far shot.

Oliver.S

DKnight said:
SMW? really? you mean the added beats when you're riding Yoshi? I don't think that compares. At least say Monkey Island 2, although that's still a far shot.
How would you call it?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Mik2121 said:
Nothing that we didn't know or was interesting enough :p

Don't be such a douche.
First post even.

The OP made a huge effort to translate all of that, so childish to piss on it just to be kewl ffs.

jett

D-Member
Oliver.S said:
God, so much hate and rage about such a little thing. Fanboy scum.

By the way, the original (cut out) final boss fight with Ganon in OoT was like a SotC fight. Too bad they couldn't make it (framerate problems).

You're misquoting me there.

But anyway, "interactive" music is something that has been done forever, but the way it's implemented in that fight is exactly the same as in SotC. Which is kinda funny. I don't remember anything like that in previous Zelda games.

Oliver.S

But anyway, "interactive" music is something that has been done forever, but the way it's implemented in that fight is exactly the same as in SotC. Which is kinda funny. I don't remember anything like that in previous Zelda games.
Minus the awesome orchestra...

jett said:
You're misquoting me there.

You need look no further than the opening Title Screen cinematic in the background of Twilight Princess for signs of heavy SOTC influence in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCUqZwBDvw

SOTC obviously comes off the better cinematic and atmospheric intro whereas the Zelda one seems like a sort of clumsy tribute. It'll be great when Miyamoto finally steps back from the series and hopefully allows someone else to inject some great story and character to the games again. Wind Waker displayed the beginnings of it, whereas Twilight sorely lacked it.

Steroyd

Plinko said:
Agreed.

He must have disliked Galaxy because the controls were too fluid and the frame rate was too solid.

Saying he didn't find it as fun as it could have been = he disliked it?

What the fuck is wrong with you people!?

Danielsan

Steroyd said:
Saying he didn't find it as fun as it could have been = he disliked it?

What the fuck is wrong with you people!?
Hey man, any criticism on a Mario game means you think it's shit, those are the rules.
Now feel the RAGE!

:lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Dude loves originality and innovation in games. That's understandable, no need to shit it on him for that.

SecretBonusPoint said:
You need look no further than the opening Title Screen cinematic in the background of Twilight Princess for signs of heavy SOTC influence in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCUqZwBDvw

SOTC obviously comes off the better cinematic and atmospheric intro whereas the Zelda one seems like a sort of clumsy tribute. It'll be great when Miyamoto finally steps back from the series and hopefully allows someone else to inject some great story and character to the games again. Wind Waker displayed the beginnings of it, whereas Twilight sorely lacked it.
Both the Twillight Princess and SOTC intro strike me as being tibute to OOT's intro.

sonicmj1

djtiesto said:
Agreed, the fish and the dragon boss were very reminiscent of SOTC... disagree with Ueda shitting on Galaxy, as I like that game (and his two games) a whole lot. But the hate for GTA4 is definitely justified.

"I did not think it was as good as it could have been," is a far cry from shitting on it.

Heck, I don't think he even said the game did anything badly.

Evlar

Banned
flintstryker said:
plays and poetry gets ideas from real life...see real life wins again.
Be certain that raw reality gets filtered through three or four layers of interpretation, reference, and homage, thankyouverymuch.

Speevy

Banned
Let's imagine for a second that you created a game that was called one of the very best of the year and platform.

Now, you're doing an interview, and someone says "There's another game which has elements which are similar to that game you created. Have you played it?"

And it turns out that you have.

So how do you respond?

A) "Well, gee, I thought it put my game to shame, honestly."
B) "I'm flattered, and wish the game had explored the concept more."
C) "The game is SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! SHIT!"
D) "I do not comment on other games, for it is this seclusion from the outside world which fuels my genius."

Speevy said:
Let's imagine for a second that you created a game that was called one of the very best of the year and platform.

Now, you're doing an interview, and someone says "There's another game which has elements which are similar to that game you created. Have you played it?"

And it turns out that you have.

So how do you respond?

A) "Well, gee, I thought it put my game to shame, honestly."
B) "I'm flattered, and wish the game had explored the concept more."
C) "The game is SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! SHIT!"
D) "I do not comment on other games, for it is this seclusion from the outside world which fuels my genius."
C.) Totally going all Itagaki up in this bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom