• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fumito Ueda on GTAIV, Mario Galaxy, game creation and other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future

ICO have bad framerate and bad controls?

And the graphics are still beautiful to see, ICO scope it's amazing and the ilumination in top class on the PS2....

And the only problem with SotC is was a game too ambitious for the PS2, and the controls aren't as bad as some people try to make them...

I will never win this debate with fans of the game cuz as you just mentioned, you are willing to forgive the flaws for the ambition. I'm talking about how this game feels, looks and plays for the majority of gamers. These games already dont sell that way so its really not much of an argument anyway :p

SOTC had an atrocious framerate and sluggish controls. I remember Ico being somewhat sluggish too, but havent played in awhile so I will concede. I dont remember it lookin that great though, and never bought the work of art shit I see mentioned all the time. Art style was good, but I played it late in the PS2 lifecycle and I thinking it already looked dated. Maybe it was the low resolution.

They are not timeless and they will not hold up as well as even Mario64 over the years. Which in itself isnt that big of a problem, and does not make the games suck or anything like that. Just found it amusing that he mention it then knock Mario Galaxy in the same interview. A game that will probably see many times more re-releases down the road, because Nintendo tends to nail the aspects of a game that will make it pass the test of time. Ueda does not

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
seat said:
Reading is fundamental:

But I had expected more, that segement, was like the rest of the game not so fun as it could had been.

Fundamental indeed:

"SMG is fun, but could have been more fun" =/= "omg it's as if Miyamoto took a dump on a DVD and sold it for full price"

What a bunch of butthurt hypersensitive babies.

Future said:
I will never win this debate with fans of the game cuz as you just mentioned, you are willing to forgive the flaws for the ambition. I'm talking about how this game feels, looks and plays for the majority of gamers. These games already dont sell that way so its really not much of an argument anyway :p

SOTC had an atrocious framerate and sluggish controls. I remember Ico being somewhat sluggish too, but havent played in awhile so I will concede. I dont remember it lookin that great though, and never bought the work of art shit I see mentioned all the time. Art style was good, but I played it late in the PS2 lifecycle and I thinking it already looked dated. Maybe it was the low resolution.

They are not timeless and they will not hold up as well as even Mario64 over the years. Which in itself isnt that big of a problem, and does not make the games suck or anything like that. Just found it amusing that he mention it then knock Mario Galaxy in the same interview. A game that will probably see many times more re-releases down the road, because Nintendo tends to nail the aspects of a game that will make it pass the test of time. Ueda does not

??? The snes smb hold up far better than Mario 64...in my opinion mario 64 is quite tedious and looks pretty poor these days...primitive 3d does not hold up at all...the collosus in SOTC still look incredible

regardless, SOTC impressed me more than any of the mario games or zelda games I've played...there is no universal consensus on subjectivity...sales mean zilch to me unless I have a stake in it

Steroyd

BishopLamont said:
Notice how nobody disagrees on GTAIV? :lol
Anyways you guys are reading way too much into it, he didn't even say SMG was shit.

It's best to just back away from the logic in this thread for example...

Vinc said:
Wha - what're you doing? He isn't shit talking anything.

seat said:
Reading is fundamental:
But I had expected more, that segement, was like the rest of the game not so fun as it could had been.

Ah fuck beaten.

Jinfash said:
Fundamental indeed:

"SMG is fun, but could have been more fun" =/= "omg it's as if Miyamoto took a dump on a DVD and sold it for full price"

What a bunch of butthurt hypersensitive babies.
It's because this guy hasn't made a game that's half as good as Galaxy.

At least he creates games that we haven't seen before. Bringing sales into the argument is idiotic.

ICO and SOTC are amazing games, and the framerate is not as bad as the haters make it sound. Even when frames are dropped, there is a nice motion blur to fill in the gaps. Makes riding on the Colossus even more epic.

Glad to hear Braid was his GOTY last year. Mine too.

Steroyd

pizzaguysrevenge said:

What the HELL does that have to do with Ueda not finding the game as fun as he thought it could be?

"Yes I have played it, it was hard to not to since it was rumored that Miyamoto-san was inspired by me. But I had expected more, that segement"

Too bad in 50 years no one is going to care.

lupinko

HE SAID BAD THINGS ABOUT MY FAVOURITE GAME, OH NOES, HE IS THE WORST EVER!!!!!!

I like how this is now used as a rallying point to trash Ueda (or anyone really, just replace Ueda with Game Designer X and replace Super Mario Galaxy with Game Y) by haters in general. :lol :lol

I'm indifferent to Ueda's games, I didn't play ICO and I didn't see much when I played SotC (which wasn't long as it didn't hold my interest really).

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
pizzaguysrevenge said:

You're enjoying this, aren't you?

GTAIV was an abortion :shh

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This thread's getting pretty ugly. :/

Though I certainly don't want to get into an argument about which game is better than the other, it's pretty silly to say that Ueda's games have done more for the medium than Mario or Zelda.

Scribble

I said in another thread that I thought that NeoGAF was a more mature gaming forum than GameFaqs. But really, this place is sometimes GameFAQs with better grammar.

Jokeropia

I'm hoping this was a translation problem or something since he should really look in his own backyard before criticizing others. I played his games expecting something fantastic based on what I had heard and well, let's just say I was sorely disappointed.

I suppose it doesn't help that the more rabid of his fans try to claim he invented big bosses.

Oblivion said:
This thread's getting pretty ugly. :/

Though I certainly don't want to get into an argument about which game is better than the other, it's pretty silly to say that Ueda's games have done more for the medium than Mario or Zelda.

Hmmm, it really does depend though... in terms of atmosphere and artistic impact, I think Ueda's games really are at the very apex...zelda really does have a very stylized fairy tail context...I just feel that SOTC and ICO surpass in the way the world and narrative are presented...its just more interesting to contemplate from my perspective...I've never been an absolute fan of either Zelda or Mario to be fair though

I suppose it just depends on what aspects you are looking for...to say that a Mario game is absolutely better than say ICO or SOTC depends on what perspective you are coming from...from a gameplay mechanics or variety perspective, that could definitely be the case...from the perspective of narrative, atmosphere, art/visual impact....it certainly isn't in my opinion...

Speevy

Banned
Jokeropia said:
I'm hoping this was a translation problem or something since he should really look in his own backyard before criticizing others. I played his games expecting something fantastic based on what I had heard and well, let's just say I was sorely disappointed.

I suppose it doesn't help that the more rabid of his fans try to claim he invented big bosses.

Maybe people need to stop acting like Ueda directs the Drakengard games or something.

Universal acclaim is a funny thing because just as with books, films, and music, you don't have to agree with it to acknowledge it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
nelsonroyale said:
Hmmm, it really does depend though... in terms of atmosphere and artistic impact, I think Ueda's games really are at the very apex...zelda really does have a very stylized fairy tail context...I just feel that SOTC and ICO surpass in the way the world and narrative are presented...its just more interesting to contemplate from my perspective...I've never been an absolute fan of either Zelda or Mario to be fair though

I suppose it just depends on what aspects you are looking for...to say that a Mario game is absolutely better than say ICO or SOTC depends on what perspective you are coming from...from a gameplay mechanics or variety perspective, that could definitely be the case...from the perspective of narrative, atmosphere, art/visual impact....it certainly isn't in my opinion...

I can agree with pretty much most of that. I was just referring more along the lines of influencing other games and setting certain standards.

And since it seems customary to put up a disclaimer, I loved SotC (prolly my goty 2005).

sonicmj1

Jokeropia said:

While I still don't get how people are responding to Ueda with an, "And your contribution to society is...?" attitude that they'd never apply to anyone who posts on this forum, if you read the interview, you'd know this isn't the case.

Fumito Ueda said:
Riding Agro is something I have spent much time thinking about, I wanted to add enemies but felt it would become too much like other games and didn't want to do that. Today I think that the segments between the colossi feel like they are missing something, not enemies, but something else. Unlike what has been criticized though, I really like the long rides on Agro. They give the feeling of searching for something, if the search didn't take time and effort, finding the colossi wouldn't feel so rewarding.

Zen

Banned
Magicpaint said:
He's not elaborating on anything, so I can't take his opinion seriously on SMG. But I love his development team for their vision and inspiration and can't wait for their new project (loved ICO but SoTC fell a little short for me).

Honestly SotC felt like it was missing something, although what was looking for wasn't necessarilly more enemies. The Colossus weren't hard/involved enough as far as puzzles go, and I was hoping/expecting that you would have to do more traversing to get to each one (a la the platforming/ruins exploration in ICO, if only in smaller segments obviously). Without that the game just felt very empty to me (in the gameplay sense), although it was still a very powerful experience.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't see this at first. :lol

Fumito Ueda said:
Riding Agro is something I have spent much time thinking about, I wanted to add enemies but felt it would become too much like other games and didn't want to do that. Today I think that the segments between the colossi feel like they are missing something, not enemies, but something else. Unlike what has been criticized though, I really like the long rides on Agro. They give the feeling of searching for something, if the search didn't take time and effort, finding the colossi wouldn't feel so rewarding.

Good to know! I wonder how The Last Guardian will play out...

fumito_ueda.jpg

nom

oneHeero

Stoney Mason said:
I quite like his games but he should probably stick to making his games and let that do the talking rather than talking about other games that are far more popular than his and sell quite a bit more.
You are right, Ueda stfu make games and dont voice your opinion about other games you've played.

Zen

Banned
Yeah, he's well within his rights to talk about his opinion of other games, jeez people.

I found Galaxy to be the best traditional 3D Mario game I've ever played, but it's also the first one I've ever played that has kept my interest well enough to finish, so I guess that says something (about my shitty taste, right guys?) :p

Narcosis

I see alot of people like to get worked up over insignificant things, as usual. Ueda gives some constructive criticism of SMG and people fire up their console warrior rage. Some gamers need to grow the fuck up.

Honolulu

Neo Member
Is there a link to a non-translated version of the interview anywhere? I'd rather read that.

Gaf got its panties in a bunch for nothing most probably. :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Narcosis said:
I see alot of people like to get worked up over insignificant things, as usual. Ueda gives some constructive criticism of SMG and people fire up their console warrior rage. Some gamers need to grow the fuck up.
Idiot GAF is out and about for sure. And most people make their own assumptions when he didn't take a dump on both games.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Narcosis said:

:lol

Replace Ueda by Miyamoto, and SMG by Ico/Sotc and this thread would be the same, just with fanboys on other side.

Wizpig

I respect Ueda, but he's overly critical here; obviously, i'm not talking about GTA IV... he's right on that one... but christ, Galaxy is the most "pure" fun i had in this gen; meh.

I actually have to admit i hoped Ueda was a little more humble... apparently not; oh well, Miyamoto isn't either, a lot of times.

legend166

Dr. Strangelove said:
Ueda's criticism of his fellow game designers' work is amusing to me, but it's even more amusing when he says he hopes people will come back and play his games far into the future and have fun. Shadow of the Colossus was a clunky piece of brown shit that is forever handicapped by its technological limitations and will not age well.

IAWTP

I mean hell people, why do you love these games so much? I'll never, ever, understand it. Clunky, sparse, repetitive, boring games. Maybe if they combined Ico, SotC and whatever he's making next into one game, they'd finally have something worth paying money for.

Before someone says "you're just butthurt because he bad mouthed galaxy!11!!" i've been saying this ever since I tried playing those two games about 3-4 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom