• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

Even better:

bkK58AY.jpg

Looks unusually well done, huh? Mmm...

So I just found out that Anthrocon is actually in Pittsburgh, which is really close to me. I kind of want to go, but I'm nervous about it. I know that only about 20-25% of the people there wear fursuits, so I'm not afraid about going without one. I want to bring my fiancee. He knows I'm into furry, and I think he will go if I buy his ticket, but I can only go one day. Which of the days is the best to go on? I have no clue what events are on what day.

Thanks GAF :)

So I just found out that Anthrocon is actually in Pittsburgh, which is really close to me. I kind of want to go, but I'm nervous about it. I know that only about 20-25% of the people there wear fursuits, so I'm not afraid about going without one. I want to bring my fiancee. He knows I'm into furry, and I think he will go if I buy his ticket, but I can only go one day. Which of the days is the best to go on? I have no clue what events are on what day.

Thanks GAF :)

Since you're only going one day, I'd say the Saturday - the dealer rooms will all be open, most of the important panels will be in full swing (you'd have to check the itinerary on the website), and everyone will still be fresh and excited.

How did I only just learn about this thread just now?

The natural defense of the furry: hiding in plain sight.

Gattuso

How did I only just learn about this thread just now?

This thread is always hidden away in the depths of the off-topic community side. Also, welcome to the thread.

So, I'm pretty curious right now. When did everyone in here begin to identify themselves as a furry?

This thread is always hidden away in the depths of the off-topic community side. Also, welcome to the thread.

So, I'm pretty curious right now. When did everyone in here begin to identify themselves as a furry?

I know when I started to self-identify with the community known as "furry" - around 1995, when I first came across the idea of a furry fandom via the internet. It's not that I wasn't attracted to anthropomorphism before that - Dinosaucers, Sylvanian Families, Ducktales, Robin Hood, Busytown, etc. As a kid, growing up in the 80s there was a lot of media that presented the idea and I always found it appealing for various reasons. But it was 1995 when I came across the "established" furry fandom of the time, via Furcadia, Furrymuck, Furnation, etc.

I don't self-identify as "furry" any more, but that's more because I don't want to identify with the fandom as it exists today - that's not to say I'm not into anthropomorphism anymore, just that the fandom as it is now is isn't what appeals to me personally anymore.

Gattuso

I know when I started to self-identify with the community known as "furry" - around 1995, when I first came across the idea of a furry fandom via the internet. It's not that I wasn't attracted to anthropomorphism before that - Dinosaucers, Sylvanian Families, Ducktales, Robin Hood, Busytown, etc. As a kid, growing up in the 80s there was a lot of media that presented the idea and I always found it appealing for various reasons. But it was 1995 when I came across the "established" furry fandom of the time, via Furcadia, Furrymuck, Furnation, etc.

I don't self-identify as "furry" any more, but that's more because I don't want to identify with the fandom as it exists today - that's not to say I'm not into anthropomorphism anymore, just that the fandom as it is now is isn't what appeals to me personally anymore.

Since I wouldn't know about what the fandom was like in that time, could you tell me a bit about what it has become over the years that makes it no longer appeal to you anymore?

Since I wouldn't know about what the fandom was like in that time, could you tell me a bit about what it has become over the years that makes it no longer appeal to you anymore?

I'm not sure it's really a suitable topic for this thread. It being a personal, highly subjective opinion on something that is already idiosyncratic in nature. Add to that, people tend to defend their chosen fandoms rather... passionately.

It's a can of worms I could do without for now.

What I can say, is that it happened kind of instantly. After attending some furry conventions, like AnthroCon, Midwest Fur Fest, and having been active on a few furry art sites like FA for a long time, and doing furry art commissions and most of my friends being furries... one day I took one hard look at it all and thought to myself, nope, I don't want to be a part of all this, in the way it expects me to be a part of it. That's not to say I thought the fandom had become "bad", but that the fandom's interests were elsewhere, compared to mine.

It's kind of like what's happening in gaming right now - with the schism between people who play games to be challenged, learn new systems, vs those who want "entertainment", an easy distraction from their life, a surrogate television as it were. Neither side is right or wrong, but I lean to one side, and not the other.

Same with the furry fandom. What it, the zeitgeist of it, specifically the western implementation, is focused on, isn't of interest to me.

But I'll still draw hunky dragons. That never changes. :p

When I was a teen in the late 90s and doing a lot of socializing online, in games and (brace yourself) AOL chatrooms and stuff, I actually got the label applied to me before I even knew what a furry was. I'm not sure, but I think it might have been because I presented myself as a coyote instead of a human. :p Even after I learned the term, though, I rarely used it to refer to myself, and I still don't really use it now. I'm fine with other people calling me a furry, since it's a logical categorization and I definitely prefer it over that icky word that rhymes with "smotherchin," which is another box I maybe-kinda fit in but don't like the idea of. But I've never really seen myself as part of the fandom—at best I've got a toe in it, maybe, and that really just involves enjoying the art; before I found this thread I hadn't even talked with other furries in years. I don't know what's popular, what's changed in the fandom over the last decade, even where furries tend to hang out since I assume it's not MUCKs anymore. I just know what I like.

I dunno. I'm more likely to sum it up to somebody as "I kinda have a thing for coyotes."

Gattuso

I'm so jealous of a lot of people's writing/typing on here, haha. this did give me some more insight on what you had said some time ago on the subject though.

Since I've only been calling myself a "furry" recently and haven't been apart of the fandom, I don't know what's been going on with it recently or really at all.
I'm glad to see you sharing your story after disappearing from the thread for a while. :p

As far as my story goes with this subject, I didn't actually start calling myself a furry until early last year. When I was a teen I was looking for something to label how I felt about myself which ended up with me getting briefly sucked into some groups that had overbuilt on the idea of becoming or being an animal.

After a while of my depression getting worse and me wanting to become an animal even more, I just decided to go and stop everything I was doing that had to do with that, burying those feelings and thoughts with games for several years. I soon forgot all about that time until some months after I joined this community. It wasn't until I came here that I started to call myself a furry.

I think I can pretty much attribute my being here to two things.

One was the sci-fi book series Animorphs. But it wasn't the animal stuff that really interested me; I was more into all the creative alien races. I especially loved the books set from their point of view (like Andalite Chronicles and Hork-Bajir Chronicles), since the aliens usually had really strange bodies that the books would go into a lot of detail about. So although it wasn't really furry, Animorphs did instill a strong interest in non-human sapient characters in me.

I guess the "furry" part came in with an episode of the Batman Beyond cartoon called Splicers, where giving yourself animal traits through gene splicing became a teen fad. After that, I started to get interested in combinations of human and animal forms, and that kind of crossed over with my interest in non-human people.

It did take a long time for me to actually start getting interested in anthropomorphic artwork, though. I would say that I'm more someone who just likes some artwork rather than a furry, but I guess that's always how it starts.

There was some fursuit discussion earlier, and it made me want to post this, which I thought was pretty awesome.

It's based on Wolf from Star Fox. It's the only costume (well, costume head) that I've ever really liked.

Gattuso

I think I can pretty much attribute my being here to two things.

One was the sci-fi book series Animorphs. But it wasn't the animal stuff that really interested me; I was more into all the creative alien races. I especially loved the books set from their point of view (like Andalite Chronicles and Hork-Bajir Chronicles), since the aliens usually had really strange bodies that the books would go into a lot of detail about. So although it wasn't really furry, Animorphs did instill a strong interest in non-human sapient characters in me.

I guess the "furry" part came in with an episode of the Batman Beyond cartoon called Splicers, where giving yourself animal traits through gene splicing became a teen fad. After that, I started to get interested in combinations of human and animal forms, and that kind of crossed over with my interest in non-human people.

It did take a long time for me to actually start getting interested in anthropomorphic artwork, though. I would say that I'm more someone who just likes some artwork rather than a furry, but I guess that's always how it starts.

There was some fursuit discussion earlier, and it made me want to post this, which I thought was pretty awesome.

It's based on Wolf from Star Fox. It's the only costume (well, costume head) that I've ever really liked.

I remember having all the Animorphs books a long time ago but I don't think I ever read them though. I might still have some left somewhere.

I saw some of the other pictures from the person that created that head. I think it looks good.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So what actually are the rules with linking to nsfw content? 'Cause there's a decent comic about furries on Oh Joy Sex Toy today but with that name it should be obvious that there'd be furryboobs.

So what actually are the rules with linking to nsfw content? 'Cause there's a decent comic about furries on Oh Joy Sex Toy today but with that name it should be obvious that there'd be furryboobs.

I'm not too sure on that either (after browsing the ToS and other rules), I'd say the safest bet is to just mention the site and a description of what's going on, but don't actually link it or post the content. We can google it from there.

I would actually post a link, because a) I think the content of the comic is worthwhile, and b), I'll preface it with THIS IS A NOT SAFE FOR WORK (NSFW) LINK.

And here's the comic: http://www.ohjoysextoy.com/furry/ - open at your own risk. It shows, at most, drawn nipples, implied humping, and nothing you wouldn't see on HBO anyway.

belmonkey

I don't know if I can even remember back to when I became a furry, and it's only been several years. I always liked the Sonic series though (particularly Tails), and I picked a fox fursona after my favourite fox. As fate would have it, I made the first big furry thread on Battlelog almost 2 years ago to the day, and I met my mate there, simply because I decided to make the thread. Life could have been quite different if I wasn't a furry.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yay I got my commission done!

but it's borderline NSFW so here they are avatarized

dorulu2i4jks.png
frafdo3lknm.png

Also would've been hot if not because he's from a shitty iOS game

gilliam_1050721770xpkm6.png

Hi there I'm new to the thread, been lurking for awhile here and though now to say hello.

I guess for me it was when I played Solatorobo in January of last year. I played not knowing if I was going to like the game or not, I played it because it looked interesting to me. And to my surprise I like it a lot, I guess for me it was the setting, the characters, and the art. I liked the setting, because how it cool it was, floating islands in the sky with the inhabitants being dog and cat-like people. And the characters were very cool to me, each being different and interesting in their own right. My favorite character was Red (where I got my name from), who I took a liking to pretty quickly, because I liked his design and I saw a lot him in myself.

I guess the SMT(Shin Megami Tensei) series is another because of the demon/persona designs, and how they looked so unique. And one of my favorites is Ose. He had this striking design that always stuck out to me, and his swords looked cool

Hi Red! Coincidentally, those are some of my favorite recent character designs as well. :D Red has that kind of cocky shonen exuberance that would probably get old for me real quick on a human, but slap it in a canine package (*snicker*) and I find it irresistible. Unfortunately I've only gotten like a quarter of the way through Solatorobo. Keep meaning to go back to it, but you know how backlogs are.

And Ose? Ose is a straight up badass. Who else could pull off the cape and codpiece look and give zero fucks about your opinion? Only a flawless bad bitch.

Hi Red! Coincidentally, those are some of my favorite recent character designs as well. :D Red has that kind of cocky shonen exuberance that would probably get old for me real quick on a human, but slap it in a canine package (*snicker*) and I find it irresistible. Unfortunately I've only gotten like a quarter of the way through Solatorobo. Keep meaning to go back to it, but you know how backlogs are.

And Ose? Ose is a straight up badass. Who else could pull off the cape and codpiece look and give zero fucks about your opinion? Only a flawless bad bitch.

Yeah should get around to playing it again when you have the time, because it does get really good in the second half of the game.

Since you said you liked Ose, I would recommend you look up the artist Kazuma Kaneko, the artist behind a lot of the demon designs in the SMT series. He has a very unique style of his own, I guess a good way to describe his style is that it's very Lovecraftian in a lot of ways, but also has this strange angelic beauty to it, with some anime influence to some degree in the mix. So check him out if you have the chance.

And now for some fanart form one of my favorite anime's featuring anthro's, Sherlock Hound, man is this stuff awesome.

Javas said:
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Sherlock-434588246 - Javas
よすけ said:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=25163905 -よすけ
愚徹犬(TDN) said:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=28600287 - 愚徹犬(TDN)

It's animated by Ghibli
Sorta, it actually was done by TMS, but considering the fact that it had employees of Ghibli (including Miyazaki himself as director for a few epsidoes) on the team when it was done, it no surprise that it does have a lot in common with Ghibli.
This is the first time I've heard of that anime. How good is it? The fan art you posted looks great.

It may be old, and not anything mind blowing. But it's a fun anime if you want something that's a bit different and a more light-hearted and easy going take on Sherlock Holmes.

So today is my birthday, and happy birthday to furryGAF OP Chuck, you have an awesome birthday man as well.

I got The Kemono Book 2 Pack, it's has a bunch of neat items here.

The Book itself which is awesome if you like that art style, a tote bag, and a Kemono pin.

I got some poster but since I had hard time making them came out right with the camera, I'll instead show you the images of them so you can see what they look like. I'm gonna get these framed eventually, just need the money for it.

And finally the last thing from this was a blanket. It has a hoodie with ears, and can detach from the other to wear each one separately.

And a Persona 3 Elizabeth Figure.

Top Bottom