• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.A.M.E 5.0 Planning Thread - Summer G.A.M.E.s

Status
Not open for further replies.

samratty

I'm interested in contributing. Can't guarantee I will submit a tune but I'm certainly interested. Nice that's there's a long-ish deadline too

you'll be surprised how quickly that deadline will creep up on you.

ok, i need some summer-ish inspiration from folks. i'm having a tough time finding out where to start.

LFK, another thing to consider when buying an audio interface is if you will be recording any vocals or live instruments with it.

Some Audio Interfaces come with built in effects...this means you can offload some of the effect processing for the live instruments rather than apply the effects inside logic.

The Presonus FireBox I mentioned doesn't have effects but I believe there are interfaces from Lexicon, TC Electronics, and M Audio that have built in effects and input monitoring

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
you'll be surprised how quickly that deadline will creep up on you.

ok, i need some summer-ish inspiration from folks. i'm having a tough time finding out where to start.
lady gaga man. thats summer poppy inspiration.

I've got a MOTU 828MKII (FireWire) and it works amazingly well.
It's got all the connections i need and is real easy to work with.
And since you seem reasonably talented and intererested in making music i would recommend buying a decent soundcard that has all the functions you need , and more for eventual upgrades.
Don't go cheap on this main feature in every studio's setup!

Fabiollo

I'm coming up with something a little strange...
It's a song you could listen to on the beach, at night: summer is almost over, you had a crush on a girl, but soon she'll take a plane and go back to her distant homeland. Moody, but romantic, with electronic sea waves in the background. I don't know if it fits the theme, but I hope so. Tomorrow I'll share the beta version, without vocals. We'll see.

Broseybrose

i know what you mean, monchi... ive been patiently waiting for inspiration for the summer theme to strike me since i read what the theme was... working on stuff i had already started in the meantime.

well tonight, out of nowhere, i heard a song in my head that fit the theme and started work on it. from here it should be a cakewalk. (no pun, i use KORG DS-10/Audacity :D )

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
anyone doing any "relax" type tracks? that's what i think about during summer...
hmm... ill try and make a relax one and a more party one. i've been really thinking "party" this whole time.

Broseybrose

monchi-kun said:
anyone doing any "relax" type tracks? that's what i think about during summer...
that's what i thought i was going to end up doing, something ambient and meditative - but that's not the song i heard in my head and am now in the process of creating. its more of a swinging, sunny, and possibly somewhat watery(?) tune. at least thats how i see/hear it.

all my songs have beats. as a natural born drummer i have not (yet?) expanded my horizons to ethereal, no-drum, ambient-type stuff. i thought maybe this would be the excersize to do that, but you gotta run with it when inspiration strikes, right?

monchi-kun said:

I'm working on some reggae now, specificly for this edition.
Gonna try and make more tracks though....

This is music when i think of summer :
Olav Basoski -Waterman
Tim Deluxe - It Just Won't do
Kelis - Trick Me

What i have in mind when i think of summer is a huge barbecue poolparty for the entire neighbourhood and everyone bobbing their head to some funky fresh beat, chilling in some hammock... passing the dutchy , getting along with eachother and just havin a good time.

That's why Will Smith's "Summertime" is still (one of) the best summertime track(s) ever.
The video gives it so much more feeling.
Wish my summers were like that....

megashock5 said:
Is this summery enough?

Flawless Victory
Damn!... that's some serious low frequency!!
Neighbours didn't like it! :lol

Minyobi

Jeez, folks trying to blow bedroom musicians working on the cheap (me) out of the water.
Not my idea of summer, but who cares what I think.

For a number of days I have been going against what I wanted to do for fear failing spectacularly.

I got over it, but the question remains "Freestyle or New Jack Swing?"

Hmm...

Minyobi

Minus the vocals, I hear this more as a song that represents morning.
Well, more like "everything that could possibly go wrong happened last weekend, but I still have to get up and go to work this morning."

The vocals (no, they are not bad at all) turn it all into sex, though.

At least in my ears.

Minyobi said:
Minus the vocals, I hear this more as a song that represents morning.
Well, more like "everything that could possibly go wrong happened last weekend, but I still have to get up and go to work this morning."

The vocals (no, they are not bad at all) turn it all into sex, though.

At least in my ears.

Interesting. Not exactly what's intended. It's merely the beauty of the morning sun coming through the window and falling across someone's skin.

I don't know that "summery" is my thing.

pixelated

Hey, please add me to the list.

On an unrelated project. I needs someone to bust some flos over some music I'm making. I'll post a sample soon. Think electro-rock-Beastie Boys, styles of beyond, fort minor type of course bit-mip synidcate chiptunish style.

pirahna1

I have so many older snippets that could fit this comp well, I just can't decide which to work on and finish. Anyone want to hear some WIPs? :lol

SpacLock

Well I made something that I'd like to share, but I'm afraid in might offend some people. Not racist, no cussing, It's just a little mean towards people in poor countries. The ultimate summer hit. Maybe I should PM it to one of you so I can get some input here.

Fusebox

Banned
monchi-kun said:

That sounds more like autumn to me coz I never relax in summer. It's all about beaches, parties, bbq's, good friends, clubbing on warm evenings, good times, sunny days and the uplifting funky party tunes to match.

SpacLock said:
Not racist, no cussing, It's just a little mean towards people in poor countries. The ultimate summer hit.

What the... :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I know that art wise this is mOdus's baby, so I dont wanna mess with that, but if you guys think I could contribute in any way with an illustration or whatever, please let me know :)

Raging Spaniard said:
I know that art wise this is mOdus's baby, so I dont wanna mess with that, but if you guys think I could contribute in any way with an illustration or whatever, please let me know :)

hehehe, could be an interesting collab between art/music GAF if we could get an illustration per track

SpacLock

Fusebox said:
Dude, that's professional! I get a Gorillaz kind of vibe from the tune so perfect for summer, and I reckon the vocals and the vocalist are great. :D

Hahaha awesome. Thanks for listening.

I'll finish and submit it.

samratty

Some cool music going on here from what I've listened to.
Here's my soundcloud account. It's got a bunch of tunes... Transamerican Express and Future Past are the most 'electronic', I guess... The others are more sample based hip hop kinda stuff and maybe a bit more organic.

http://soundcloud.com/therattking

pixelated said:
http://soundcloud.com/bit-mip-syndic...saturday-night

I want vocals for this, rap or whatever. Any takers? I don't know if I'm considering this for GAME 5.
This is banging! Really like it. Obviously needs a bit of mixing but very nice. Good luck finding a good rapper, they're tough to find in my experience, especially ones with an open mind.

Had a quick listen to some of the other tunes, which I thought were good too.

pirahna1

SDZeta said:
I didn't want to post this one yet since it's a compelte work in progress with zero structure, missing layers etc. but I really want to know if the main instrument sounds alright on your end:

http://soundcloud.com/supradarky/electronic-beach-alpha-0-1

It would be my 2nd submission, going for a duration of 5 minutes. I got my inspiration from a cartoon with robots having fun at an electronic beach... lol

Sounds good. Only thing I noticed is the main instrument and the bass have overlapping frequencies and sound a bit too similar, so they get lost in each other. Other than that (and of course, levels - but it's a wip) it sounds great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom