• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.A.M.E 5.0 Planning Thread - Summer G.A.M.E.s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blutonium

monchi-kun said:
Blutonium...what gear are you using to make your song?

-FL Studio 8 as sequencer
-iZotope iDrum as drumpattern plugin
-iZotope Trash as distorter
-iZotope Ozone for equalizing effects
-Propellerhead Reason > Maelstrom for drumkicks (which I then use in iDrum)
-Fruity Love Philter for panning and frequency cutting effects
-Nexus VST for synths

That's it. Only hardware I have is my PC :)

Fabiollo

monchi-kun said:
oh man, i know the feeling. GDC is finally over so hopefully i'll have more time to write...or at least write at a decent time (SMRHMR was written at 1 am)

Exactly! I had a huuuuuuuuuge backlog of reviews and previews... but I'm starting to see the light :D

Is there any rough deadline we're looking at? I've actually got several different projects going on right now, at least two of them musical in nature, so I've only gotten as far as a few little "sketches" of tracks. I've got some recent material that is almost finished and would work well with the theme, but I'd rather create something new for this.

pirahna1

HappyBivouac said:
Is there any rough deadline we're looking at? I've actually got several different projects going on right now, at least two of them musical in nature, so I've only gotten as far as a few little "sketches" of tracks. I've got some recent material that is almost finished and would work well with the theme, but I'd rather create something new for this.

Yup
RELEASE DATE: Aiming for mid June
listed in the OP :D

I haven't had much time the past week, so I just dabbled a bit on my current piece. Hopefully I'll have it finished soon though. I want to get at least 2 out for this comp.

How many are the rest of you guys planning on putting out?

Can we do Dark Side of the Moon-esque strings of tracks? Not as long and drawn out though, obviously.

EDIT:Or maybe that is too pretentious for a group compilation and making one long track would be better, yes. Sorry I made a useless post.

I know nobody here really knows what I sound like (unless you've heard of "Soft Rendition" (You haven't)) so I'll have some little things posted soon enough. I'm working on an album I'm actually planning on attempting to go commercial with and get promotion behind, so I'm a little unsure about what I wanna show here. I know that's an egotistical way to put it especially amidst others who have way more knowledge of traditional production, but it's the way I need to be at the moment.

What I do is maybe like if you fused together Boards of Canada with Do Make Say Think and turned it into a strange, psychedelic pseudo videogame soundtrack. I'll have something on soundcloud soon.

Broseybrose

HappyBivouac said:
I know nobody here really knows what I sound like (unless you've heard of "Soft Rendition" (You haven't)) so I'll have some little things posted soon enough. I'm working on an album I'm actually planning on attempting to go commercial with and get promotion behind, so I'm a little unsure about what I wanna show here. I know that's an egotistical way to put it especially amidst others who have way more knowledge of traditional production, but it's the way I need to be at the moment.

What I do is maybe like if you fused together Boards of Canada with Do Make Say Think and turned it into a strange, psychedelic pseudo videogame soundtrack. I'll have something on soundcloud soon.
Boards of Canada and Do Make Say Think rock it to Russia. Look forward to hearing.

Fusebox said:
I got 4 days left on thr Beta version and then to decide whether to upgrade or not. Hmm..

i have a Live 5 license...debating on upgrading since Logic can't really handle everything i'd like to do in terms of live performance. also, Live would give me much larger plug-in compatibility....

btkadams

live needs to improve it's ability to change tempos of songs. it rapes the shit out of my lossless files when it changes the tempo by 1 bpm. no song should be that artifacted when it is increasing the tempo.

Blutonium

Any FL Studio buffs here? I need help.

Since my track is getting a bit complex, FL Studio can't handle it no more and it starts cracking and popping whenever I play it through FL Studio. Now I've already maxed out the latency in the audio settings, and the problem still occurs.

I've downloaded this ASIO4ALL driver that should help the problem, but whenever I switch FL Studio's sound from my 'soundcard' (Realtek HD audio) to ASIO4ALL, there is no sound.

I've tried the following things, which according to boards I found on Google should help, but they don't:

-Switch my soundcard to 16 bit audio, 44.100 hz
-Turn off any programs that use my soundcard

I'm desperate because the cracking is so bad it demotivates me from finishing my track :(

pirahna1

Just a heads-up - I found an awesome guide to mixing and stuff if anyone needs a refresher or how-to on proper techniques. It's written by a member of IDMF, and it's very concise and well-written. Definitely a must-read.

Thread: http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=27489&highlight=mixing+guide
Guide: http://www.idmforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=763&d=1234145244

Oh, and is anyone else planning on making an EP for Project-168? Starts on Monday, April 13 and finishes on Sunday, April 19. I can't wait to buckle down for the week and churn out a couple tracks.

Blutonium: Did you click on 'Open Asio Panel' and check the settings in there? You have to turn on your soundcard inside the ASIO panel so it knows where to route the sound. Just click the little power and play buttons under your soundcard - should get sound after that. If not, I'd check over at the FL Studio forums.

I use FL Studio and I know my sound used to crack like crazy when I started making music and used Sytrus exclusively. Since then I've switched to VSTs, Nexus etc and they don't have this problem.

I've actually decided to add a melody from a game I used to play on my gameboy at the beach as a little kid, so it's kind of a nice way to add some sweet summer beach memories and nostalgia in there for me. Can you guys guess what game it is from? I'd be surprised! It's at the end (2:28)

http://soundcloud.com/supradarky/electronic-beach-alpha-0-1

I should be finished with the whole song pretty soon then I can finally get to mastering, levels, adding transitions etc.

Oh and sweet stuff pirahna1, should be a nice read. :D

Edit: This is the song, at 0:37.

Broseybrose

i got hit hard with a summer-inspired song in my head. came from nowhere. i just recorded it to get the basics down. but ill be making many changes to it.

Enter (1st Rev)

tell me what you think. oh, DS-10 only, as always :D

Broseybrose

pirhana, thanks for that guide. its always good to refresh.

SDZeta - Electronic Beach: So very good, even though i wouldve taken it elsewhere. Thats whats so awesome about this comp. We get to watch how others develop their songs, sometimes from start to finish. But yeah, this bangs HARD. :D The ending bassline is just so beautiful. Youre a talented man.

btk - W.T.S.F. : I dont really dig dance/club music, but i know youre talented, cause ive heard your other stuff. That's the other cool thing about this project, you get exposed to the creation process of music you may not otherwise have heard at all!

btk - I: This is much more my flavor (though i hate vocoder/autotune, you make it sound ok). Great work. Love how you keep the end going.

blutonium - Speed Dreaming: DnB not my flavor either, really, but this is a nice job. A head-nodder the whole way through.

Ive been doing an insane amount of work to the idea i uploaded last night... i love it when i get serious inspiration!

btkadams

Broseybrose said:
btk - W.T.S.F. : I dont really dig dance/club music, but i know youre talented, cause ive heard your other stuff. That's the other cool thing about this project, you get exposed to the creation process of music you may not otherwise have heard at all!

btk - I: This is much more my flavor (though i hate vocoder/autotune, you make it sound ok). Great work. Love how you keep the end going.
should i take out those vocals? i have an instrumental version of the song.

Broseybrose

monchi-kun said:
i like this alot
thanks man! im really happy that i got 2 tracks down (im still making minor changes to Enter, but that Interlude track is done) so early before the deadline. AND, i feel like Enter has that real Summer vibe to it.

Horizons broadened!

And mon-chi, check your soundcloud for that latest song. i left a suggestion. i hope you consider it.

Broseybrose

I need your help, guys. I cant decide between Enter and Enter Two. I changed the mix, some effects, and the ending on Enter Two. Help me pick which to submit?

Oh- theyre both on my Soundcloud, if you Soundcloud guys would like to leave a comment there. I'd really appreciate the feedback Like i say, im in need of help deciding.

Fusebox

Banned
Lol those little DS-10 tracks are so cute, they remind me of those old hacker intros. There's some decent melodies in your tunes man, I reckon they could sound pretty good if you swapped some parts from the DS-10 into a real DAW and fattened them up.

btk, your shit is banging atm and very summery man! I'm picturing big outdoor party with WTSF, love that tearin bassline.

Is Soundcloud compressing your track at all? I only ask because the track could use a little more top-end sizzle if it isn't, but I suspect its a result of uploading. I made a myspace page the other day because they allow 10 hosted tunes at the moment (http://www.myspace.com/fusionproducer) and I swear its re-compressed my tracks as well, all the top-end disappears when they go up.

I had made a bit of a start on mine but it was in Ableton 8 and now my beta has run out and I can't afford to upgrade and none of the tracks I made on the Beta will open in 7, doh!

btkadams

Fusebox said:
Lol those little DS-10 tracks are so cute, they remind me of those old hacker intros. There's some decent melodies in your tunes man, I reckon they could sound pretty good if you swapped some parts from the DS-10 into a real DAW and fattened them up.

btk, your shit is banging atm and very summery man! I'm picturing big outdoor party with WTSF, love that tearin bassline.

Is Soundcloud compressing your track at all? I only ask because the track could use a little more top-end sizzle if it isn't, but I suspect its a result of uploading. I made a myspace page the other day because they allow 10 hosted tunes at the moment (http://www.myspace.com/fusionproducer) and I swear its re-compressed my tracks as well, all the top-end disappears when they go up.

I had made a bit of a start on mine but it was in Ableton 8 and now my beta has run out and I can't afford to upgrade and none of the tracks I made on the Beta will open in 7, doh!
thanks for the comments! and i dont think its compressing it. i put on a bass booster eq so maybe i should take that off?

Fusebox

Banned
I wouldn't, the track doesn't boomy on my monitors, there's plenty of space on the bottom end. I'd just give your hi-hats a kick around 10kHz or maybe even a real mild chorus or something to make them shimmer. You could even just give it a tiny spike there at the master, the track just needs a little bit of zing somewhere in that frequency area but even as it is I love it.

edit - it appears that soundcloud does recompress tunes again, I bet your tune is eq'd perfectly, it was compressed and then recompressed so the top-end didn't stand a chance.

http://soundcloud.com/faqs

Does SoundCloud apply bit-rate compression when I upload tracks ?

In order for users to hear music rapidly on the SC platform, we re-encode every track to high quality 128 kbps Mp3s. However, if you make your file « downloadable », then the users who have access to it will be able to download the original file (whether it’s Aiff, Wav or Mp3).

monchi-kun said:
how's everyone's stuff coming along btw? anyone with finalized tracks?

I'm buying a bike and have summer tuition to pay for, but I'm hoping I can swing an Apogee Duet by June. I'll want to play around with that before I call my stuff final. If I can get around to upgrading my MBP's hard drive I might pick up a string library too, see what I can do with that.

btkadams

Broseybrose said:
Hey btk... you mind if i "borrow" that breakdown i love so much from your latest, "I'm on the P.A." for one of my songs?
the breakdown? do you just want the bass line? i was going to get the sidechain rerecorded so that the bass part thats off beat will be compressed offbeat rather than just on the 4s. up to you. i could record it in a couple days, i have an exam today and tomorrow.

oh and if you didn't notice, yes that's ok.

Broseybrose

btkadams said:
the breakdown? do you just want the bass line? i was going to get the sidechain rerecorded so that the bass part thats off beat will be compressed offbeat rather than just on the 4s. up to you. i could record it in a couple days, i have an exam today and tomorrow.

oh and if you didn't notice, yes that's ok.
thanks, cause i already did :D

i shouldve been more specific. i wanted (used) the bassline as a part in a song that i had trouble coming up with an interesting break. Hearing your song really inspired me.

have a listen... all KORG DS-10.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/5932914158ebdce9/

and it wouldnt be polite of me not to cite btk's version... which is really much better than mine... at the moment at least ;)
http://soundcloud.com/btkadams/im-on-the-p-a-demo

lil smoke

Banned
Broseybrose said:
thanks, cause i already did :D

i shouldve been more specific. i wanted (used) the bassline as a part in my song. Hearing your song really inspired me.

have a listen... all KORG DS-10.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/5932914158ebdce9/

and it wouldnt be polite of me not to cite btk's version... which is really much better than mine... at the moment at least ;)
http://soundcloud.com/btkadams/im-on-the-p-a-demo
You have a particular style that's evident in your bass lines (about mid way thru this track). I can't get enough of it.

Broseybrose

Fusebox said:
Sure you weren't listening to the bass line he just blagged from btk? :D
hey! thats not nice. though its totally probable that he was :lol

at this time, in my defense Id like to remind you of this, of which Ive already PMed the wav to monchi.

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom