• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, bet against me as I try to lose weight ($2000+ in potential prizes!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll collect the 20 bucks (I know I'm 103 but by the time this finishes 80 of the previous posters will be banned :p)

Seriously though I'd rather you make it.
My captain obvious but they really work tips:
-put less food on your plate than you think you'll want to eat, your eyes are bigger than your stomach
-slow down eating so your body has time to tell your brain you're full
-don't eat 2 hours before bed (just because it cuts down on snacking and it's a good way to do it)
-don't eat 1 hour before mealtime (pretend your mom is telling you to wait because dinner will be ready soon:p
-every time you grab for a snack or food think 'do I need to eat? am I hungry?'
This one really helps to initially break your snacking habits. Humans are creatures of habit, you break the habit your new habit makes you auto lose weight effortlessly.

Portion control > everything else when losing weight.

Also a general fix for most likely bad eating habits: double the amount of vegetables you eat and halve the amount of carbs (potatoes, bread, pasta) you eat.
Bam 500 calories less a day (but it's not enough, portion control matters)

Losing weight (or rather returning to a healthy weight) is about habits and lifestyle, not about dieting, there is no sense dieting if you'll revert to your old habits after, you make a permanent change for the better or you'll be forever yoyoing between fat and normal and be miserable about it.

zulux21

I wish you the best, but given how motivated you sound it shouldn't be to hard to lose the weight as legit motivation is one of the biggest things needed (the other being self control :p)

just remember to walk when ever possible, it might take longer than driving but it also helps your body so much.

AxeMan

I too have struggled to lose weight - I managed to lose 15 kgs quickly but then got sick and put 5 back on and for the life of me I can't lose it again

Hope you succeed OP

sakipon

Trying to go from skinny to skinnier, you sir do not know the meaning of fat.

Seriously. I know there are a few obese GAF members and I was hoping this thread was by one of them. Not that I think betting to be a good way to make lifestyle changes but still.

BlueSteel

I'm tabulating this now.

So, one thing: It's not just about the weight loss.

It's about having a direction, because after having a breakup in which I've felt more miserable than before, I'm completely lost. It's easy to read about others' relationship threads and think about what the "right" and "logical" thing to do, but it's never that easy, and I'm feeling the effects of it.

Furthermore, I never said that I was obese either. I am sorry if this is downplaying the struggles of others. It's not my intention at all.

Maybe I'll end up regretting this later, but right now I need something to strive for every day for the next few months while I try to piece myself together.

BlueSteel

Well, this is starting off very well. I kinda feel like this is really just a relationship gaf thread in disguise, and I'm just flailing because everything is crumbling. I don't know how I've managed to feel more depressed, but okay here I am.

Well, I'll soldier on.

80 kilos at 165cm is definitely not skinny... it's obese (ugh, in before some athlete saying 'I weigh 80 kilos and am that height and have low body fat', OP says he's pear shaped)
Umm, ok. With a 33 inch waist? I mean it's nice that he wants to get in better shape and all, but calling him obese is nonsense. He says he's going to put up progress pics, so I look forward to seeing this 'obese' 160lb monstrosity's before pic soon.

OgaKratos

Well, this is starting off very well. I kinda feel like this is really just a relationship gaf thread in disguise, and I'm just flailing because everything is crumbling. I don't know how I've managed to feel more depressed, but okay here I am.

Well, I'll soldier on.

You can do this man. You're stronger than you give yourself credit for.

BlueSteel

Jesus, okay. Again, I never said I was obese. I said it before. And 80 kg is an exaggeration. I am overweight, not obese. That I know. I'm pear shaped in that the circumference of my hips is 42 inches... Maybe even more. I gain weight in my thighs and ass first before my waist.

Its not as simple. I have had a back issue since August in which I have pain all over my back. Early x rays showed nothing structural, but the doctor was hesitant to do further tests.

Well, months later, I am still in constant, maybe even worse pain than before, which had affected my sleep, my work, and has made it extremely difficult to work out strenuously. It's not as simple as "just go to the doctor". My work makes it difficult to leave early or take time off. And when there is time there aren't any open times. As my back has gotten worse, I've gained more weight.

Despite what the title says, it's not just about the weight. I'm not going to die from how I am now.

I do however, need to resolve my back, otherwise I'll be in chronic pain the rest of my life. I can't anything without this first

I am pre-diabetic, and my dad is diabetic, so I do need a wakeup call before I suffer like he has. I hope people would agree that people should wait to want to prevent that.

This isn't a "look how shit my life is thread". I know my life isn't in the bottom half, or anything.

I'm just not very motivated right now, and I just wanted to loop gaf in and provide some incentive for me to follow through. Sorry if this offended anyone.

oti

Banned
You can do it!
Have you ever thought about trying Keto or Paleo? They're interesting diets that help you understand and learn about nutrition. And they're fun. :)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Keto for 45-60 days then Starting Strength once you start to slowly increase your carb intake to sustainable levels and you will transform.

Axis

Not sure if the cut off point has been reached or not, but I'll take up the offer.

I hope not to see any negative results from you. Stay focused and you can lose the weight.

I'd rather just cheer ya on. Simply just jogging every day will put a very very good dent in your weight.

If you choose elliptical for knees, suggest watching a good movie or anime as you do it (it helps much more than music - visuals really help)

Can we start a Workout Club where everyone tries to follow a set of routine each day and see if we see any difference.

e.g.

Day One: Running for 20 minutes, etc etc.

I think if goals are set for everyone to follow and work together, OP won't have to pay a penny to us.

Does that sound hard to mandate? It'll be tough!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Three years I got to 270, up from 205. I was 300 in high-school, so it was pretty demoralizing to be back to my old, fat-self. But I hopped back on the saddle and now I currently weigh 206! My new goal is to get to 185.

You can do it man. It's only a temporary setback, just take it day by day and remember, it's going to take time. Good luck!

shira

Weight is a terrible metric for health or health improvement. Better off using body fat %.
You can just lose water weight or starve yourself.

Just go to your local university/hospital and get it done, help out a student's learning process. I'm sure they could cut you a deal for a before/after if you explain your situation.

Ekkk wish I was 161 pounds. I started my weight loss journey a little over 2 years ago. I am currently 94kg/207lb/14.8st . I know this may seem like a lot to weigh but I did start out at 166kg/365lb/26.1st. I am hoping this will be my final year of losing weight and I can switch into maintenance mode. My target is not as "severe" as the ops. I just want to get down to 84kg/185/13.1st. That target will make me "normal" for my height of 6ft.

Anyway good luck to the op. The best advice I can give from my own personal experience is that there are no tricks to losing weight it is simply a case of "eating fewer calories than you use".

Oh and if my name comes up in the draw then give the money to a charity.

Biff

Sounds like you have a good plan. Nutrition is king, seems like you know that.

Good luck and keep updating us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom