• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, bet against me as I try to lose weight ($2000+ in potential prizes!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxn

I use to have the same specs as you ahahah.

Im an inch shorter, and weighted around 164.

Now, I average 131.

Well good luck for you! I think you could do it with this kind of motivation.
Do a lot of cardio, like running.. It worked great to burn a lot if calories.

Damn, nice OP. Goodluck man, losing weight can be the greatest feeling in the world when you do it for yourself and the right reasons. Don't be unhealthy though to get to your goals

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Good luck man. I remember user Like the Hat did something similar. I'm not sure what his results were though.

BlueSteel

@ OP, if you are doing this, I advise you to see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHopJHSlVo4

I am not sure if the science is correct, but it does sound logical? I am sure it is different for different people though.

Oh wow, I've forgotten about this. I've read literature on this before.

It's really two fold. When I wrote this thread, I was really thinking narrowly, but it really had much more to do with just righting my ship than just losing weight. Because, yes, I know it's a bit silly to put everything down on the line to lose weight when others are struggling.

But more than half of it is also the interactions with people. Whether the responses are good or not, I find it very reassuring to see that even some people are giving words of encouragement. Even if it can't help me emotionally more than I would want it to, it feels good, particularly at a time where I'm in a situation where I'm either at work or alone for most of the time.

In any case, I'm going to update here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview...dBR3g4b2ZQXzZHV2Y0UTJISUpCOVhtWVU&usp=sharing

I'll make extra posts too.

And, finally, I felt bad about posting this for a while when some posters claimed I didn't know the definition of fat, and that they would've rather seen someone truly fat doing this.

And honestly, to them I say with the highest sincerity: really? First, maybe my long first post was too much to read as I stated I know there are others who are far worse situations dealing with it. I'm not denying this. I've tried to make it clear that, emotions aside, I need this to get my life into gear. The weight is just one thing... And secondly. Don't try and tell me that I've never been fat, I've never had to deal with it, and that I don't know how others are going through. In high school I had dark purple stretch marks going down to my elbows on both arms and down my thighs. I saw the heat of stares as I eventually resorted to never wearing shorts or t-shirts. Maybe the magnitude of my suffering isn't enough for you... but it was enough for me. I've had to carry that even now, as I see myself going down the route again.

Anyways. I want to make it more interesting. I'd like to donate to charity after every 5 pounds lost. 50 bucks to a charity, irrespective of this current bet.

Please suggest away.

Good luck! I just started working out again after taking about 8 months off; that wouldn't be too bad, but I also started drinking too much beer and packed on quite a few extra pounds. Right now I am 5'7'' 158lbs; I'd like to get to 140-145. I'll keep an eye on your progress in the hopes that it will motivate me to keep going.

Oh wow, I've forgotten about this. I've read literature on this before.

It's really two fold. When I wrote this thread, I was really thinking narrowly, but it really had much more to do with just righting my ship than just losing weight. Because, yes, I know it's a bit silly to put everything down on the line to lose weight when others are struggling.

But more than half of it is also the interactions with people. Whether the responses are good or not, I find it very reassuring to see that even some people are giving words of encouragement. Even if it can't help me emotionally more than I would want it to, it feels good, particularly at a time where I'm in a situation where I'm either at work or alone for most of the time.

In any case, I'm going to update here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview...dBR3g4b2ZQXzZHV2Y0UTJISUpCOVhtWVU&usp=sharing

I'll make extra posts too.

And, finally, I felt bad about posting this for a while when some posters claimed I didn't know the definition of fat, and that they would've rather seen someone truly fat doing this.

And honestly, to them I say with the highest sincerity: really? First, maybe my long first post was too much to read as I stated I know there are others who are far worse situations dealing with it. I'm not denying this. I've tried to make it clear that, emotions aside, I need this to get my life into gear. The weight is just one thing... And secondly. Don't try and tell me that I've never been fat, I've never had to deal with it, and that I don't know how others are going through. In high school I had dark purple stretch marks going down to my elbows on both arms and down my thighs. I saw the heat of stares as I eventually resorted to never wearing shorts or t-shirts. Maybe the magnitude of my suffering isn't enough for you... but it was enough for me. I've had to carry that even now, as I see myself going down the route again.

Anyways. I want to make it more interesting. I'd like to donate to charity after every 5 pounds lost. 50 bucks to a charity, irrespective of this current bet.

Please suggest away.

Good luck mate!!:D

BlueSteel

Weigh in:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C2pkA0tgTO-ac_G1vU-WI-8TYz5dVJu4gWpPNWO8xPE/edit?usp=sharing

Weigh in picture in the folder I provided above.

Summary:

I went to the gym twice this week, and instead of taking the bus to my office, I walked to compensate for the loss of one day.

Food has been an issue, honestly. I did not expect to lose that much weight. Now, I'm sure a lot of that is water loss. In fact, I'm sure of it. There's no way to get that much progress in one week, especially if I'm just targeting fat. I'm definitely undereating though. There has been times when I just have no desire to eat, which makes me wonder about where I am mentally and emotionally. I've gotten dizzy from lack of eating, and even trying to gorge on fast food when I get the chance makes me notice that my appetite has shrunk immensely.

The doctor appointment for my back has been scheduled. X-Rays are going to be taken for my upper back just as a precaution. Lower back X-Rays were taken before, but there was nothing alarming.

As for my relationship problems... well, I don't know what to really say about that.

In any case: Assuming I hit my goal for next week, it's time to make a donation. Please suggest your favorite charity.

BlueSteel

heavyweights

Back problems man.

Progress updated here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C2pkA0tgTO-ac_G1vU-WI-8TYz5dVJu4gWpPNWO8xPE/edit

I'm not eating as many carbs, so I'm definitely less bloated and not retaining as much water. I'm feeling a lot better about how I look, which I haven't since maybe summer of last year...

Not feeling as depressed, so my appetite has gradually come back. Now, balancing the dieting is a bit harder. However, I'm moving out so I can actually start and control my portions.

BlueSteel

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C2pkA0tgTO-ac_G1vU-WI-8TYz5dVJu4gWpPNWO8xPE/edit#gid=0

Progress updated.

Thanks for all the support guys.

As my friend told me, "No more water weight to lose." And yup, he's right. Weight loss has steadied to around 1 pound a week, which seems more healthy. I'm definitely looking skinnier, but I need to be consistent with my lifting. Going to get x-rays done on my back and shoulder (latter injury from gymnastics A YEAR ago... yea I should've gotten it checked out earlier)...

I'm moving out of home today, so it should be easier for me to regulate my own meals that are outside of work. Though, I haven't been as disciplined as I should be.

As for the Charity.... I'm still deciding. The economy major in me wants to do the Against Malaria Foundation, but I'm also thinking of something local like 826CHI. I'll take a look at the sports foundations though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C2pkA0tgTO-ac_G1vU-WI-8TYz5dVJu4gWpPNWO8xPE/edit#gid=0

Progress updated.

Thanks for all the support guys.

As my friend told me, "No more water weight to lose." And yup, he's right. Weight loss has steadied to around 1 pound a week, which seems more healthy. I'm definitely looking skinnier, but I need to be consistent with my lifting. Going to get x-rays done on my back and shoulder (latter injury from gymnastics A YEAR ago... yea I should've gotten it checked out earlier)...

I'm moving out of home today, so it should be easier for me to regulate my own meals that are outside of work. Though, I haven't been as disciplined as I should be.

As for the Charity.... I'm still deciding. The economy major in me wants to do the Against Malaria Foundation, but I'm also thinking of something local like 826CHI. I'll take a look at the sports foundations though.

AMF has had logistical issues in the past getting the nets into people's hands, but they are extremely open about it and let you know when your donation has been turned into nets in people's hands.

BlueSteel

Updated, but low on battery so I'll update fully soon.

I'm 147 now!

Back Home Edit:

Good week! Though, I had weighed myself midweek and realized I had probably retained a lot of water from meals on saturday.

I finally got results from my doctor...which was that my shoulder injury is a bone bruise that has persisted for a year. When I pressed, he said that it probably died from the impact, but maybe it'll heal in a few years... soooo uh. Okay.

Back wise, I'm feeling alright. Just need to focus on my physical therapy and flexibility. At this point it's all about pain management and good posture.

BlueSteel

Updated.

This week was a particularly "bad' week. I ate out a bit more, and not at particularly the best places. It's all good though. On thursday I went to a friend's wake and we ate Popeyes in his honor. I'm also trying to go a lot more veggies to balance out the protein, so I'm generally okay. Started lifting and working out more too, so I'm sure my appetite is going to go up, which I'll have to monitor.

Overall, I"m going back to the gym tonight to reset and get focused again.

Updated.

This week was a particularly "bad' week. I ate out a bit more, and not at particularly the best places. It's all good though. On thursday I went to a friend's wake and we ate Popeyes in his honor. I'm also trying to go a lot more veggies to balance out the protein, so I'm generally okay. Started lifting and working out more too, so I'm sure my appetite is going to go up, which I'll have to monitor.

Overall, I"m going back to the gym tonight to reset and get focused again.

You can do it!!!:D

What sort of restaurant is popeye? is it mexican?

BlueSteel

Oh shit,

updated, but its past three, so I'll be PMing someone for their choice of game or charity...

Back on track though. Even that I'm eating more, I'm also working out consistently now.

Xe4

Banned
Oh shit,

updated, but its past three, so I'll be PMing someone for their choice of game or charity...

Back on track though. Even that I'm eating more, I'm also working out consistently now.

Eating more what? Healthy food, or shit food?
Regardless, keep up the good work, op.

BlueSteel

Eating more what? Healthy food, or shit food?
Regardless, keep up the good work, op.

Mostly vegetables, some more carbs than usual, but I'll tone it down. I actually crave kale chips with olive oil and salt/pepper/lemon... So fantastic.

So, by use of RNG, Diebuster was the lucky recipient. He chose to donate to Charity, and let me pick, so I decided to donate to the Giving What We Can Trust, with an equal split to their top 4 charities:

0jSZaml.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom