• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Kimosabae said:
E. 1999 Eternal isn't just a rap classic - it's a classic, period. The album was a bonafide American phenom. You'd be hard-pressed to find many 'Greatest Albums of All Time' lists without a mention of it.

The idea that a rap fan may not like that album - or even worse, may have never heard it - is mind-boggling to me.

Nostalgia my ass. Early Bone is timeless. There will never be another popular group with that sound. Ever.
You do know they ripped off that flow almost entirely from Myka 9, listen to Freestyle Fellowship - MARY

HiResDes

Latest GFK Impostor Post I Found:

ZoejV.jpg

CRS

Tokubetsu said:
What I love about Bone, is even though they were rapping about thug shit, because they did the whole sorta sing quality thing, everything they did had some kind of magical/mystical quality to it. If didn't listen to the lyrics, "Eternal" sounds like something off an early 90s pop record.

Basically, the "Harmony" part, right? That's a big reason why they're my favorite rap group.

Creepin' On Ah Come Up is just as good and consistent as E. 1999 Eternal. I always thought that those two albums would make the perfect double-album. Creepin' as the first and E. 1999 as the second.

HiResDes said:
You do know they ripped off that flow almost entirely from Myka 9, listen to Freestyle Fellowship - MARY
Oh wow.

If BTNH had acknowledged (they might have, I don't know) Fellowship Friday as an influence, would people still say "They ripped off Fellowship Friday"?
I never liked the whole "X bit Y's style" argument and think it's bullshit. I didn't care for BTNH's beef with Crucial Conflict, Twista, etc. and thought it was bullshit as well.

Kimosabae

Banned
HiResDes said:

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I gotta dig into Myka 9's disco, cause' I thought he post-dated Bone. 'Mary' is fucking amazing.

When I was in 6th grade, there was this kid who I used to converse with regarding Bone all day. I never took his opinions for much and largely assumed he had a disarrayed pile of bricks where his brain should be.

When 'Crucial Conflict' and 'Do or Die' came around, and 'Hay'/'Po Pimp' were getting a lot of airplay, I used to complain to him how much I hated the fact that they were 'biting' Bone (what did I know? I was fucking 11/12).

He used to tell me I was looking at the situation wrong - Bone was "building up other rappers", is what he used to tell me. Bone was good for the music, and the fact that people were copying them was good. We'd always argue about this. I couldn't comprehend it. I always shrugged that comment off as inarticulate and silly. Turns out I was only half right.

It wasn't until I reached my twenties that I was smart enough to look back and realize what this kid was trying to express to me - he was the first person I met that was smart enough and forward thinking enough to look at rap music as art.

I don't care who brought the style first. This shit is not a contest. Art is not a contest. A truly creative person steals ideas from everyone and everywhere. Innovations are built on the shoulders of giants and if you're not looking for fresh shoulders to tread on - you're doing it wrong.

This whole 'biting' shit in hip hop is so petty and highlights how immature and insecure the culture truly is. I'll start caring about accusations of biting in hip hop when Science, Literature and every other musical genre starts caring.

Toku:

I never thought anything about E. 1999 sounded 90s. 'Creepin' on ah Comeup' definitely sounded 90s with its boom bap production, but I thought e. 1999 sounded like something completely unique. Don't pay attention to me, though, because from 95- 98 Bone was all there was to me, until I was introduced to Rakim and Canibus.

IrishNinja

ugh, i got no love for creepin on ah comeup; couldnt get past how awful thuggish ruggish bone was, ymmv.
anyone who wishes to call it a classic, meet me outside by the flagpole, and bring a friend.

HiResDes

Everyone has influences, and Bone Thugs definitely took the flow and fleshed out into something special, but at times they do sound kind of gimmicky to me...But obviously when they are on their game they make classic songs. For example, First of the Month.

JEKKI

HiResDes said:
the theory goes that Eazy-E put them up on that style coz obviously that dood knew what was going on in his area,

but Bone has a record they put out before they met Eazy called Faces of Death which is somewhat rare and they still had double time flow,

so I wouldnt say they ripped off Freestyle Fellowship, but there was definitely an influence there in their overall nurturing into artists.

I love Bone Thugs, but Uni-5 was one of the worst albums I listened to last year :barf:

may be worse than Thug World Order...

Kimosabae

Banned
HiResDes said:
Everyone has influences, and Bone Thugs definitely took the flow and fleshed out into something special, but at times they do sound kind of gimmicky to me...But obviously when they are on their game they make classic songs. For example, First of the Month.

Did you know of Myka 9 before Bone, or after?

CRS

IrishNinja said:
ugh, i got no love for creepin on ah comeup; couldnt get past how awful thuggish ruggish bone was, ymmv.
anyone who wishes to call it a classic, meet me outside by the flagpole, and bring a friend.
:(

Besides the fact that I grew up on these guys, it's still a classic for me.

JEKKI said:
I love Bone Thugs, but Uni-5 was one of the worst albums I listened to last year :barf:

may be worse than Thug World Order...

I had a feeling that it was gonna be crap which is why I never listened to Uni-5. The last song they released that I enjoyed a lot was "What Have We Done". The "Earth Song" sample had something to do with it though.

Tokubetsu

"Lil Love" with Bow Wow & Mariah Carey is admittedly a guilty pleasure of mine :lol. Mariah is just just such a perfect fit with bone :lol I remember being around 10 and thinking "The Art of War" was easily the most epic rap album ever based on the cover art alone.

EDIT: Wow, Mariah Carey is 40? I'm feeling old at 22 :lol
I'm burning one to Breakdown tonight...

JEKKI

Tokubetsu said:
"Lil Love" with Bow Wow & Mariah Carey is admittedly a guilty pleasure of mine :lol. Mariah is just just such a perfect fit with bone :lol I remember being around 10 and thinking "The Art of War" was easily the most epic rap album ever based on the cover art alone.
Strength & Loyalty actually had a lot of good songs on it. It had a lot of Swizz Beatz type shyt I wasnt digging, but still had a handful of good tracks on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jp4j7fO9Oc

off this album, you would think getting all the member back would lead to good things but nope, Uni-5 was still one of the worst things I have ever heard :( ;_; TT_TT

CRS

Tokubetsu said:

EDIT: Wow, Mariah Carey is 40? I'm feeling old at 22 :lol
I'm burning one to Breakdown tonight...

This I agree with. I prefer I Still Believe to Breakdown though.

JEKKI said:
Strength & Loyalty actually had a lot of good songs on it. It had a lot of Swizz Beatz type shyt I wasnt digging, but still had a handful of good tracks on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jp4j7fO9Oc

off this album, you would think getting all the member back would lead to good things but nope, Uni-5 was still one of the worst things I have ever heard :( ;_; TT_TT

Krayzie destroyed Streets. That's a great track.

IrishNinja

ChldRebelSoldr said:
:(

Besides the fact that I grew up on these guys, it's still a classic for me.

:lol dont sweat it, man - everyone on gaf-hop has something good they despise (shinobi = conway, toku = based god etc). just got played a lot down here & wasnt my thing.

id still throw back some whiskey to "breakdown" with tokus. that said, you know its a slow weekend when these ghostface posts are my fuckin' highlight.

Tokubetsu

IrishNinja said:
:lol dont sweat it, man - everyone on gaf-hop has something good they despise (shinobi = conway, toku = based god etc). just got played a lot down here & wasnt my thing.

id still throw back some whiskey to "breakdown" with tokus. that said, you know its a slow weekend when these ghostface posts are my fuckin' highlight.

What are you talking about? SWAG

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
IrishNinja said:

whoa whoa whoa....whoa...whoa.

i thought lil b was a meme ?

kamspy

I remember the first time I heard Creepin on ah Come Up. Wow. It's one of those times where it only takes one listen to know it's the new shit, and everyone in the world is going to love it.

Creepin and E1999 are both god tier albums. I kind lump them together.

Lord knows how many copies of the E1999 cd I owned. High School, blunts, 40s, bitches, shit comes up missing. It's like Rae's killa tape. That was my E1999 eternal cd.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
kamspy said:
I remember the first time I heard Creepin on ah Come Up. Wow. It's one of those times where it only takes one listen to know it's the new shit, and everyone in the world is going to love it.

Creepin and E1999 are both god tier albums. I kind lump them together.

Lord knows how many copies of the E1999 cd I owned. High School, blunts, 40s, bitches, shit comes up missing. It's like Rae's killa tape. That was my E1999 eternal cd.
I'm born and raised in Akron, OH. People have no idea how HUGE Bone was to NE Ohio, and how they pretty much started the underground Hip-Hop scene in the area.

When Creepin came out? That shit was gospel. They captured what the hood was really about. Shit in the early 90s was as dangerous as they said it was.

kamspy

Yeah I'm from Cincy. We got some spill off just from them being from Ohio. We aren't exactly a breeding ground for popular hip hop artists, so it was a big deal down here too.

IrishNinja

damn, we went from overrated-ass Bone (yeah, Kimosabae, you heard :D ) back to Lupe dicking with fans? slow weekend for gaf-hop.
if ya'll missed it, Himu got banned, so pour out some liquor for the dude, even if he aint been here for a while.

CRS

Imm0rt4l said:
Lasers lost a lot of hype, still looking forward to it though.

Which I find hilarious because wasn't that the reason Lasers was set to March? to build up the hype and promote? The perfect time to release it would have been at the most a few weeks after Atlantic and Lupe came to agreement. I'm pretty sure the video didn't do much for Lasers.

HiResDes

kamspy said:
Yeah I'm from Cincy. We got some spill off just from them being from Ohio. We aren't exactly a breeding ground for popular hip hop artists, so it was a big deal down here too.

What Kamspy? I'm from Cincy too. In fact I live there/here now :lol

Kimosabae said:
E. 1999 Eternal isn't just a rap classic - it's a classic, period. The album was a bonafide American phenom. You'd be hard-pressed to find many 'Greatest Albums of All Time' lists without a mention of it.

The idea that a rap fan may not like that album - or even worse, may have never heard it - is mind-boggling to me.

Nostalgia my ass. Early Bone is timeless. There will never be another popular group with that sound. Ever.
WORD.

IrishNinja

sat down & listened to it - its cool what they were trying to bring with this style, but its not working for me. saying e 1999 has no skippable joints - much less that its a timeless classic - hey, to each their own. this isnt even top 10 for me, though, so ima respectfully disagree here.

back to ghostface imposer:

Ayo whattup this the god universal culture divine Big Tone aka Ghostface the Wally Champ! Yo a nigga just seen a purple shark rockin a cable knit coogi playin a saxaphone nahmean. Thats my word. The god had crazy visions. Ayo the moon crumbled into the oceans n shit when the god arose from his throne nahmean. Ayo Coles a nigga just peeped ya videos n what have you. I wasnt in attendance at ya actual show cos a nigga workin promotin his album n shit nahmean. A nigga stayin touch wit his fans via 2dopeboyz an what have you. Nahmean. Ayo dont forget to pick up that Apollo Kids joint nahmean. Yalls already know my joint was chosen by the god legend Preemo himself for album of the decade yo. And a nigga humbled by that shit yo. That was a honor nahmean. Nigga said ayo the god Ghost Deini had the best album since Thriller nahmean. Yalls aint never had no praises like that nahmean. But yo ever since the god was found on the shores of the river Nile in Egypt or Cairo to be exact he felt blessed. Word I already done told yalls that when the god was found the clouds parted to a bloody sky n locusts done tried to destroy the god while he was a baby n all a that. But bein that I was a made nigga they aint hurt the god nahmean. Yalls aint never been through no shit like that. Word up. Nigga I done walked through monsoons in the desert with gargoyles nahmean. Ayo the soil beneath the god feet turned to rose pedals n shit. Thats my word. A nigga open his jacket n lavender doves fly out a nigga coat when he on stage nahmean. Yalls little niggas gotta work on yalls satge presence. The god be on stage havin his little lemonade snapples n word I turn niggas phones in the audience into chalices of wine nahmean. N I tell my niggas drink from yalls chalices now n become a niggas disciple. Nahmean. Thats some shit yalls dont be doin at yalls shows. Yall next generation niggas be walkin around on stage in ya little t shirts n tight ass jeans tryna rock a crowd. Niggas got on they little applebottom jeans tryna emcee n shit. Yalls aint movin the crowd with that. I dont mean no disrespect but yalls need to step yalls stage presence up. Word. Nigga the god be throwin dynamite frisbees into the crowd n all that. Yalls niggas aint do no shit like that cos yall lack the imagination and constitution to that shit nahmean. The god be bringin sabretooths on stage with him. Word.
Aight peace.

Ayo whattup this the honorable Starky Love Jones nahmean. Peace to that nigga Nas yo thats my bloodline nahmean. We niggas of the same pedigree namsayin. Ayo a nigga got some folklores to unveil on yalls little internet niggas bout that nigga tho. I dont mean no disrespect but the god feels as tho he helped elevate that nigga chamber nahmean. Word yo back on that purple tape joint the god chirped that nigga Nas n told that nigga we needed him to come bless the Verbal Intercourse joint for the gods nahmean. Bein that we of the same divine calibers n shit he came thru n he knocked buildings down on that joint nahmean. Ayo matter fact that whole session was like a battle of the monsters from hiroshima nahmean. Niggas was like Godzilla vs King Kong vs Mothra n shit! Thats some real talk! Niggas was whylin n knockin bricks out the walls n rippin the door off the booth n shit! Niggas was throwin niggas thru walls n shit! That nigga RZA tried to get the gods to cool out n started splashin strawberry yoo-hoos on niggas n shit. At one point the nigga RZA jump up on the mixing boards n tore open his Nautica fleece. N that shit aint had no zippers or snaps or nothin of that sort nahmean. Nigga just lost his wig n shit. Ayo the nigga was holdin a spear n shit. On on on some Shak Zulu shit. I remembers that. N I looked at the god n knew something was peculiar bout the nigga demeanor cos the nigga eyes was red n them shits was glowin like christmas bulbs nahmean. The nigga just started shootin lasers out the nigga eyes n the gods was like word? So by that time niggas started droppin to tha ground like muthafuckin lead papayas n shit. Niggas had settled they little tempers n shit. Ya know. Then that nigga Rae pull a pack of owls out from his Helly n niggas just blazed for like 2 days. Nahmean. So by that time the nigga Nas had calmed the fuck down. He was back on his own cloud nahmean. N boom. The nigga went in the booth n cooked up that marvelous shit yalls is already familiar wit nahmean. But the god felt like ya know he had somethin to do with puttin a battery in that nigga back nahmean. That nigga Nas prolly remember the shit different but the god recalls that shit like it had took place this morning nahmean. Thats my word. N yo then a miracle had began to transpire. When that nigga came out the booth a muthafuckin falcon had appeared behind him n that nigga just climbed on the falcon back n they just bust out the ceiling n shit. Niggas was like oh shit ya see that nigga Nas! Niggas was on they jack callin they niggas talkin bout that nigga Nas just flew out the studio on a muthfuckin 7 foot Falcon n shit. So thats how that rumor started spreading. Yalls niggas may not had heard that shit before tho. Thats my word.
Aight peace.

Ayo whattup this Deini the Great aka the Wallabee Champ! Whats good wit yall internet niggas. Ayo I aint mean no disrespect to that little nigga Wiz or nothin of that sort but this like some serious faggot shit nahmean. Word up. Ayo the god means that with the utmost respect but this some faggot ass music son. Thats my word. This some shit for them niggas rockin tight ass Apple Bottoms n muthafuckin white sunglasses nahmean. This like the shit niggas hear in the Toyota commercials nahmean. This some shit for niggas that drive Scions n shit. This that music for them 3 dudes ridin in they car with that one broad in the backseat. Niggas aint gon be gettin no pussy to shit like this. This shit like muthafuckin broad repellent nahmean. This that shit that make bitches figure oh I get it yalls niggas wanna fuck eachother. Well let me get up out the way nahmeans! N yo the god dont mean that in no disrespectful way. If you a homo nigga ayo the god got no problems with yall. That just aint a nigga gate nahmean. But yalls do ya thing nahmean. Dont feel as tho the god tellin yall ya gotta stop suckin eachother dick or nothin of that sort. I gets yall. Word yo I knew this nigga in Rikers that actually looked out for the god. Ayo but to reiterate that shit the god aint advocate this nigga lifestyle or nothin like that. But it so happen the homo nigga looked out for the god in the chow line on more than one occasion. The nigga used to hook the god up with extra Twinkies n shit on Twinkie Thursdays namsayin. Which if yalls nigga think about it is kinda ironic nahmeans. Cos the nigga a actual twinkie n what have you namsayin. But then that nigga got stabbed with a toothbrush n thrown over a balcony n shit. That nigga dead now. Nigga looked like somebody dropped a plate of lasagna or some shit by the time them COs seen the nigga. Muthafuckin warden had niggas locked down for like 2 days nahmeans. But thats neither here nor there. But word yo the god aint fuckin with this joint yo. The god make music that make niggas wanna punch a horse nahmeans. Niggas be punchin horses when they hear my shit. Word.
Aight peace.

i'm never gonna be able to hear the champ again without wanting to punch a horse :lol

LOZLINK

"At one point the nigga RZA jump up on the mixing boards n tore open his Nautica fleece. N that shit aint had no zippers or snaps or nothin of that sort nahmean. Nigga just lost his wig n shit. Ayo the nigga was holdin a spear n shit. On on on some Shak Zulu shit."
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

HiResDes

IrishNinja said:
damn, we went from overrated-ass Bone (yeah, Kimosabae, you heard :D ) back to Lupe dicking with fans? slow weekend for gaf-hop.
if ya'll missed it, Himu got banned, so pour out some liquor for the dude, even if he aint been here for a while.
Oh shit word, it must have been for something he said in the black culture thread?

HiResDes

shadowcomplex said:
so was it a perma or just a like a reg ban?
It looked very much like an account suicide anyway, so it probably doesn't matter...We won't be seeing much of him anymore no matter what

chris121580

A lot of people on twitter have been hyping up the new Rick Ross mixtape. I'm not a huge fan of him, he's real hit or miss for me, but is it worth checking out?

HiResDes

chris121580 said:
A lot of people on twitter have been hyping up the new Rick Ross mixtape. I'm not a huge fan of him, he's real hit or miss for me, but is it worth checking out?

If you didn't like Teflon Don and Albert Anastasia no, in fact if you didn't like those albums/mixtapes then you can just tune out everything he puts out...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I thought Himuro got banned for his outlandishly out of taste comments about Koshibas tits in one of the sexy women threads. Fresh out of another ban or something.

Tokubetsu

enzo_gt said:
I thought Himuro got banned for his outlandishly out of taste comments about Koshibas tits in one of the sexy women threads. Fresh out of another ban or something.

Pretty sure thats what he got banned for.

Kimosabae

Banned
Irish, not liking Bone is completely understandable. I, myself, have moved away from that type of delivery in general because I've grown a larger appreciation for traditional styles, so I only listen to Bone for nostalgia purposes now.

Not having an any appreciation for the group itself and East 1999, however, is just crude. It's similar to a self-proclaimed movie fan claiming to not have an appreciation for Citizen Kane (NOT making a 1:1 correlation here, obviously) or other movies of its impacting ilk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom