• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Bad_Boy said:
Trunk Musik was pretty good. A couple songs I couldn't listen to, but the ones I did went hard. Very short mixtape. Any more yelawolf?

Get the album, Trunk Muzik: 0-60. It has about 6 new tracks not on the mixtape which are all worth it.

Also he has an older mixtape called "stereo" which is basically him rapping over remixed (or sometimes untouched) old rock classics. I hate "classic rock" like lynard skynard, but regardless I really enjoyed the album.

HiResDes

Bad_Boy said:
Trunk Musik was pretty good. A couple songs I couldn't listen to, but the ones I did went hard. Very short mixtape. Any more yelawolf?
No get the album...Trunk Muzik 0-60, it's near flawless

@Siddx - I agree

Edit: Damn beaten by a hair, but I should say Box Chevy Pt.3 mixtape version is by far the best

Tokubetsu

0-60 is worth it for Daddy's Lambo and Billy Crystal alone but you still get awesome shit like "Marijuana" and "That's What We On Now"

siddx said:
Except his last release, while good, didn't grab me in the same way. I'd love to see a full length album from him.

Really? The Pursuit was great but there were only a few tracks I really latched onto while I love almost every track from "In Between Video Series".

I did stumble onto some other tracks from him though. They could be old, but they're not from either of his albums.

Cover Me (I'm Going In)

This Is… (The W.C.A. Sessions EP)

siddx

Tkawsome said:
Really? The Pursuit was great but there were only a few tracks I really latched onto while I love almost every track from "In Between Video Series".

I did stumble onto some other tracks from him though. They could be old, but they're not from either of his albums.

Cover Me (I'm Going In)

This Is… (The W.C.A. Sessions EP)

I think thats part of what makes him such an interesting artist, I feel the exact opposite way as you. I remember listening to The Pursuit for about 3 weeks straight uninterrupted. While that doesn't seem like much, I typically listen to an album for a week at the very most, a few days if its only average, and then it gets stuck in a larger playlist on random, at which point it is no longer an album, but a collection of songs that pop up every so often.
The in between series felt unfinished to me, like he started working on it and then his focus pulled him elsewhere 2/3's of the way through. Still better than 99% of other rap though.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Kimosabae said:
New vid featuring Vast Aire:

Double A.B. "Hit Em" feat. Vast Aire and Swave Sevah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYqfZSg-w0U&feature=recentlik

Nice production on this vid.

What's the forum code for putting hyper links into text?
highlight word then click the "insert link" button

heres what it looks like:
idJ9I2.PNG

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
HiResDes said:
The hook is god awful though.

That verse doesn't even need a hook. And I like the difference between Busta's tearing the roof off to the super mellow pretty boy hook..

But yeah the hook is nothing good.

Blackace

enzo_gt said:
C'mon son, didn't even like the documentary? I felt that was prime West Coast is resurrected kind of stuff right there. Beats straight from Detox, and all.

On another note, I think Busta is the most underrated MC of all time. Dude never gets the praise and respect he deserves, and he's got some pretty consistent verses too. Extinction Level Event and The Big Bang are fucking great.

No the Docoumentary is the reason why I keep thinking "he'll bounce back on the next album..." with him.

The album is a classic that should be written in West Coast lore..

but now? pfffttt... Even with decent beats now he is so weaksauce..

Busta also gets up for a guest spot.. Him and Luda will destroy whatever they are put on..

IrishNinja

^^speaking of, what's Luda up to? every now and then ill hear him on something like "fatty girl" or the remix to nas "made you look' and he'll absolutely own the track.

Blackace

IrishNinja said:
^^speaking of, what's Luda up to? every now and then ill hear him on something like "fatty girl" or the remix to nas "made you look' and he'll absolutely own the track.

I liked his last album battle of the sexes..

Of course he killed All I do is Win (and Busta killed the remix)

He just was featured on the new Chris Brown track.. forgot the name.. tho..

HiResDes

IrishNinja said:

Ludacris suffers from the Cassidy effect almost when it comes to making albums, he simply tries to incorporate too many different sounds and tastes creating a lack of focus on everything he puts out...He hasn't made an album that bangs from beginning to end since Southern Hospitality.

Busta Rhymes is under-appreciated because people forget about his work with Leaders of a New School his early classic albums. Extinction Level Event is a masterpiece, but it doesn't quite hold up as well as other classics.

mooooose

Holy FUCK Rae is going HARD with SvWT. I thought OB4CL 2 was mediocre besides some glimmers of awesome and the unreleased RZA tracks but both the title track and Butter Knives go fucking HAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD.

Album of the year for me. I can already tell what it is.

Blackace

HiResDes said:
Ludacris suffers from the Cassidy effect almost when it comes to making albums, he simply tries to incorporate too many different sounds and tastes creating a lack of focus on everything he puts out...He hasn't made an album that bangs from beginning to end since Southern Hospitality.

Busta Rhymes is under-appreciated because people forget about his work with Leaders of a New School his early classic albums. Extinction Level Event is a masterpiece, but it doesn't quite hold up as well as other classics.

I think Busta is head and shoulders better than he ever was in LotNS..

Luda also makes 2 insane songs and 16 meh ones.. lol

But don't put him on a remix unless you want people to know your stuff as the "the cut with Luda in it"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:

Cassidy is my man though, that last album had some pretty quality songs. Plus that John Legend track is more than amazing. Hell, he even went outside his usual punchline nonsense and kept some direction in his rhymes and it works. Other than that though, like Luda he's desperately trying to reinvent himself. The "I need to reinvent myself" mentality also affects Game and so many other artists in hip hop, its kind of sad since a lot of the quality goes down in the process.

And there's no one in the game like Busta, people are quick to push him aside but there's literally no one else I can see in hip-hop like him. but he's got some talent and still makes some amazingly fun to listen to songs and rhymes.

HiResDes

Tokubetsu said:
I thought Luda's "Theater of The Mind" was one of his strongest records.
I forgot about Theater of the Mind, hell yeah that was quite good. I think I overblew his album befuddles. The opener to Theater of the Mind is fucking ridiculous.

siddx

Holy shit Cassidy has fans? He is the most annoying rapper in existence. His voice, his lyrics, his flow, everything about him makes me want to stab him in the eyes.

Luda is one of my favorite rappers simply because he is entertaining. He sounds like he is enjoying himself and can turn even the dumbest line into something entertaining. He truly understands the idea behind "its not what you say but how you say it."
But he has never put out an album I thought was anything beyond average.

Busta is unique, which is something we are sorely lacking in hip hop today. But I got kind of bored with him years ago. I'll still listen to whatever he puts out, but I no longer make a priority like I used ot.

siddx said:
Holy shit Cassidy has fans? He is the most annoying rapper in existence. His voice, his lyrics, his flow, everything about him makes me want to stab him in the eyes.

Luda is one of my favorite rappers simply because he is entertaining. He sounds like he is enjoying himself and can turn even the dumbest line into something entertaining. He truly understands the idea behind "its not what you say but how you say it."
But he has never put out an album I thought was anything beyond average.

Busta is unique, which is something we are sorely lacking in hip hop today. But I got kind of bored with him years ago. I'll still listen to whatever he puts out, but I no longer make a priority like I used ot.

Siddx you don't seem to like very much.

HiResDes

Naw Cassidy is pretty fucking annoying when he's not freestyling/battle rapping...I had to delete almost all of his older shit off my iTunes one day when his songs started coming up in my hip-hop shuffle.

siddx

Pinko Marx said:
Siddx you don't seem to like very much.

:lol I'm just picky. I figure I have been listening to it for 20 years so I'm allowed to be a grumpy old man when it comes to my hippity hop music. Cassidy just sounds like a giant liar on every track. I know most rappers are, but at least be a convincing liar. Cassidy sounds like the 12 year old who is telling everyone he is having sex and in a gang and smoking weed and has a gun and in reality he goes home and plays xbox all day.

GFK's reaction to Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang:

Tony Starks said:
Ayo whattup its the Great White Shark aka Brother Starks nahmean! Ayo the god was high atop his throne on Olympus when a nigga seen the bat signal up in the clouds nahmeans. Ayo the gargoyles that sit in a nigga palace begin to utter the words BROTHER STARKS BROTHER STARKS YA PEOPLES AWAIT YOU NIGGA NAHMEANS…n yo a nigga hop upon his pegasus wieldin a lightnin bolt nahmeans. Thats real nigga shit. These faggot next generation niggas aint be doin no colossal shit like that namsayin. Nah these niggas hop out they little bunk beds they be sharin with they brothers or sisters n be callin niggas for rides namsayin. But ayo bein that this some fly shit that the brotha Rae cooked up for yalls on his stove n shit a nigga had to bless this joint n make the shit real official namsayin. Word yo n me n the brotha Rae was workin on a joint project together last year namsayin. Lotta yall niggas aint know nothin bout that tho nahmean. Ayo the shit was gon be called Iron Chef nahmeans. Word yo IRON CHEF. N yo this shit gon blow yalls wigs back but the joint was originally gon be called Watch The Thrones nahmeans. Thats Watch The THRONES namsayin. N yo yalls niggas already know that the nigga Ye n that nigga Jay got they album comin out with a similar title n shit. But yo me n the chef had that little title first nahmeans. Word but yalls already know the god a nigga that like to appropriate correct grammars n shit when he be doin his thing. Hence the usage of plurals n shit. Meanwhile the niggas Ye n Jigga be on some singular shit namasayin. Now I aint sayin they on no homo shit but how 2 niggas gon share 1 throne nahmeans? Ayo the gods had 1 throne a piece but these niggas on some stingy shit only coppin 1 throne namsayin. Niggas gon sit on that muthafucka side by side? Word bond. Or like how that gon look when yall know that that nigga Jay gon definitely be sittin in that muthafucka. Meanwhile the nigga Ye gon be standin next to that shit? Nah yall do yalls own algebra but Im tellin yalls niggas that some peculiar shit right there namsayin. Word bond. So yo me n the nigga Chef we done recorded bout 200 or so joints n we was only gon pick the the best 8 joints namsayin. Cos the shit was gon be a EP nahmeans. But we knew that if we did 200 joints that they wasnt all gon be fire. But if niggas chopped the heads off the less potent joints we was gon have some quality shit. Word yo the shit we put together was some phantom of the opera meets Tron shit. Which yall already know sound kinda familiar nahmeans. Yo the god aint even gon say it. But yall know that HAM shit sound a lot like what a nigga be talkin bout right now nahmeans. But yo niggas had lightning bolts n thunder sounds n shit. Word yo n the nigga RZA cooked up a beat that had 30 baboons on the hook! From Angola n shit. Word yo nigga had baboons from Angola in the booth screamin n boxin each other n shit. Shit was wild son. Matter fact them PETA niggas show up n confiscated the monkeys n shit. Niggas sent a cease n desist joint to prevent niggas from usin the joint n shit. But thats neither here nor there. And bein that the nigga Andre Harrell got his little relationship wit Jay n Ye n them niggas of a higher precedence than my shit with Rae the niggas got the jump on niggas wit they shit. But ya know…niggas aint mad or nothin so we wish niggas prosperity n shit. Word. Yall have that title. The Iron Chef joint tho yalls niggas cant conceptualize no shit like that. Nah cos yalls would be some shit like ‘Ye-Z’. That muthafucka aint got no special ring to it namsayin. Word yo I aint even gon say no more.
Aight peace.

Son of a BITCH, I need to hire Ghost to speak at my Funeral. :lol Bolded the part that made me lose it. :lol :lol

Stat Flow said:
I hadn't heard One Be Lo's new track until today.

Shame on me. Because it's so good *bow*

Looking forward to his new album.

Holy shit, that's hot. I was surprised to see that not too many people here listened to Binary Star. Binary Star's one of my favorite rap groups...

Acid08

Banned
Listened to the Marshall Matters LP for the first time in like 7 or so years recently and I fucking HATE it. Em sounds like such a whiny shit.

kamspy

Acid08 said:
Listened to the Marshall Matters LP for the first time in like 7 or so years recently and I fucking HATE it. Em sounds like such a whiny shit.

It aged horribly. Unlistenable today imo. He dated it so much with the Backstreet Boys disses. Only a few songs survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom