• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hip Hop

I don't get it; what's sketchy about being a firefighter

That's a very different job from being with the police, I don't understand what the the big deal is. Mind you I don't know anything about this rapper; I just heard a song from him for the first time yesterday

Not in a negative way, but it seems like something difficult to juggle both jobs at once and keep up with sides.

Somebody from the department probably wanted this to blow up with the info they passed on.

So I got Nothing Was the Same...

I'm still not the biggest Drake fan on the planet, but the fact that I bought a Drake album says a lot of how much I'm willing to explore rap. Not too long ago the only rap group I really liked was ATCQ.

We shall see if I like this better than IFRTITL. Sort of meh on that one.

Just pirate/stream shit to check it out, don't buy it lol. Drake is caked I have no shame.

Vince Staples is an incredibly rapper.
I just hope he develops a smoother flow of his next project (it's smooth already but I'm talking slicker, like Jay/Biggie smooth)

HiResDes

Vince Staples is an incredibly rapper.
I just hope he develops a smoother flow of his next project (it's smooth already but I'm talking slicker, like Jay/Biggie smooth)
I don't really know where you're coming from flow wise whatsoever. His flow is his own, his grime part of his allure

I don't really know where you're coming from flow wise whatsoever. His flow is his own, his grime part of his allure
Yah I was actually coming back to edit the post with a better description.
I don't mean that I want him to be laid back/loose his forcefulness, though my statement defneitly implies that.
It's more that listening to Summertime will start a bar or 2 and keep on that run for a bit but then abruptly top and move onto something else, and while that's nice and helps his style which I enjoy, I'd like to see him change his tone some and just flow on a few tracks.
He feels like a punchline rapper to me and his style is built around accentuating that but sometimes the strain in his verses gets old to me.
Just switch it up.

Koozek

Jeffery out here inspiring 3 Stacks again on the Frank track, whew. After his verse on Badu's Hello I was so sure he's a Thugga fan and then he recently confirmed it on radio.

PlXu9uM.gif

giphy.gif

rH2xQtQ.gif

HiResDes

Alright so I finally have time to listen to this Frank Ocean, it seems like people stopped talking about Endless as soon as Blonde dropped, should I just be skipping this?

HiResDes

First impressions, Blonde has these euphoric high moments, but the in-betweens which seem to make up about fifty percent of the album aren't too memorable for me. The lyrics are definitely more consistent, but the tone of the album is a bit ambivalent and the tempo too homogeneous. It's dying for a couple more emotional outbreaks, the small flashes that Frank exhibits aren't quite enough.

I prefer the rawness of Endless Summer, which is more a constant downpour of emotion rather than this irresolute wave.

I was really feeling Endless, way more somber than I had initially expected.

I'm gonna end up going back to endless long after I have everything but Nikes and Nights off of blond in the trash. His official album is incredibly disappointing.

It's often dull with barely any room for him to stretch

Courage

I'm gonna end up going back to endless long after I have everything but Nikes and Nights off of blond in the trash. His official album is incredibly disappointing.

White Ferrari, Self Control, Ivy, Solo in the trash?

dafuq

Album is a bizarre fusion of Bon Iver + Sufjan Stevens + James Blake with a lot of his own touches. I understand if some of you wanted some more pop/hooks/bangers, but I'd take this any day of the week over the boring Channel Orange. It retains a lot of what makes his music so intimate and emotional, with suitably sparse, cavernous yet fresh production you wouldn't hear on any typical alt R&B project.

The part on Self Control where Yung Lean, the high-pitched vocals, and guitar come together in unison followed by Frank's vocals on top of the beautiful instrumentation gives me chills everytime.

mehhh production is kinda bland too, it all just blends in together as the same dull ambient/lounge music. dunno how you can prefer this over channel orange.

maybe it will grow on me though. who knows. i think i'm just bummed out that there's like not even one hook on this album lol. prolly gotta open my mind a bit more to this but i wasn't expecting to be so bored by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom