• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing my 3DS more than any console release these days
manny.png

Koozek

I'm really excited for the rumored NX reveal next week
like every week in the last 2 months, lol
. Playing every console Nintendo game (and who knows, maybe even most multiplats like FFXV as crazy as it sounds) on a handheld with a suspend/resume function like the Vita would be so dope. I would play a lot more games these days if I could do so in the bed, toilet, or anywhere at home pick-up-and-play style in shorter bursts because playing in front of the TV on console/PC feels too much like a "commitment" if you know what I mean. Like, "I have to put time in now - if I don't play at least 2-3 hours I won't make any progress anyway" and also somehow the feeling of wasting time kicks in even though I then, instead, spend more time on GAF talking about games than I would actually do playing.

Koozek

Yo, does anybody know the album The Healing Component by Mick Jenkins? Just randomly saw a DEHH review video in the Recommended list and thought I'd check it out. Sounds pretty smooth so far. If you like Odyssey, Bas, Azizi and this new wave of "relatable/personal" non-dusty-sounding Underground Rap, for a lack of a better word, it might be for you:

https://play.spotify.com/album/1355FmCtrXQa0VeMd3eMzT

Dereck

Yo, does anybody know the album The Healing Component by Mick Jenkins? Just randomly saw a DEHH review video in the Recommended list and thought I'd check it out. Sounds pretty smooth so far. If you like Odyssey, Bas, Azizi and this new wave of "relatable/personal" non-dusty-sounding Underground Rap, for a lack of a better word, it might be for you:

https://play.spotify.com/album/1355FmCtrXQa0VeMd3eMzT
Didn't enjoy most of it

Minor aside, but if you like DJ Shadow at all, go see him on his tour. I wasn't expecting much out of his live show, but it blew me the hell away. I strongly recommend it because it's doubling as a tour for Endtroducing's 20th anniversary as well.

Also, Nintendo hate is sacrilegious. You can say what ever you'd like about Sony or Microsoft's graphics/processing power/et al., at the end of the day, the underpowered platform delivered multiple defining games of the 6th generation, 7th generation, and 8th generation.

Between Melee, Brawl, Sm4sh, the Mario Galaxy series, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Nintendo crushed it. Nintendo might be characterized as the "fun" company, but I'll take fun over a grimdark shooter with e-sports plastered all over its multiplayer in an attempt to replicate the success of MOBAs as flagship titles.

Reckoner

Minor aside, but if you like DJ Shadow at all, go see him on his tour. I wasn't expecting much out of his live show, but it blew me the hell away. I strongly recommend it because it's doubling as a tour for Endtroducing's 20th anniversary as well.

Also, Nintendo hate is sacrilegious. You can say what ever you'd like about Sony or Microsoft's graphics/processing power/et al., at the end of the day, the underpowered platform delivered multiple defining games of the 6th generation, 7th generation, and 8th generation.

Between Melee, Brawl, Sm4sh, the Mario Galaxy series, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Nintendo crushed it. Nintendo might be characterized as the "fun" company, but I'll take fun over a grimdark shooter with e-sports plastered all over its multiplayer in an attempt to replicate the success of MOBAs as flagship titles.

What you saying bro

'Cause I've been having a blast with Gears 4 lately

overcast

Most of the best games of this generation are still exclusive to the Wii U. Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101. Gaming is better when Nintendo can still do their thing in addition to the Xbox/PS brand products.
I can agree with this for sure. Nice post.

Excited for NX TBH. Also Bayo 2 is dope.

What you saying bro

'Cause I've been having a blast with Gears 4 lately
I'm not saying fun and grimdark shooters are mutually exclusive, I'm just saying it's been a long time since a non-indie or non-Nintendo game has been treated as such instead of an all-in-one experience, with a story meant to be filled with narrative twists and dark turns and game mechanics designed to support a whole multiplayer ecosystem. It's a bit hard for me to explain, but it feels like most AAA shooters game stories are all in the same vein of "ragtag rebel team up against an ominously large force with a plan to destroy Earth/Earth analogue/society/whatever." I'm honestly getting tired of stories in that vein because they're a) almost always pretty mediocre and b) always the set-up for the first act in a trilogy.

Maybe fun was the wrong word to characterize Nintendo's works as. I think "unique" might be a better fit, because in a market saturated with generic dudes (white or otherwise) killing the shit out of other living beings, online or single-player, Nintendo's "anything else" immediately stands out and acts as a palette cleanser of sorts. They've always done things the different way and even though it hasn't worked out for them this gen, I honestly don't know if I'd still be interested in games if they weren't an active participant. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the CoDs, the Battlefields, etc etc, but they're just the products of their time. They're like the Lil Yachtys, Lil Uzi Verts, the Desiigners of the gaming industry: they're games designed for the present and not meant to last for the future.

I hope that makes sense.

I'm not saying fun and grimdark shooters are mutually exclusive, I'm just saying it's been a long time since a non-indie or non-Nintendo game has been treated as such instead of an all-in-one experience, with a story meant to be filled with narrative twists and dark turns and game mechanics designed to support a whole multiplayer ecosystem. It's a bit hard for me to explain, but it feels like most AAA shooters game stories are all in the same vein of "ragtag rebel team up against an ominously large force with a plan to destroy Earth/Earth analogue/society/whatever." I'm honestly getting tired of stories in that vein because they're a) almost always pretty mediocre and b) always the set-up for the first act in a trilogy.

Maybe fun was the wrong word to characterize Nintendo's works as. I think "unique" might be a better fit, because in a market saturated with generic dudes (white or otherwise) killing the shit out of other living beings, online or single-player, Nintendo's "anything else" immediately stands out and acts as a palette cleanser of sorts. They've always done things the different way and even though it hasn't worked out for them this gen, I honestly don't know if I'd still be interested in games if they weren't an active participant. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the CoDs, the Battlefields, etc etc, but they're just the products of their time. They're like the Lil Yachtys, Lil Uzi Verts, the Desiigners of the gaming industry: they're games designed for the present and not meant to last for the future.

I hope that makes sense.

I agree. There is a reason why the military shooter lost steam. Call of Duty was indeed a bad trend.

illadelph

yeah, without Nintendo, I really wouldn't even be into games. I'd play maybe four or five games a year.

This JP Moregun tape someone posted is nice; the production is really interesting.

Yelawolf's tape was cool, too

HiResDes

Honestly when I encountered enemies with rocket launchers who give no shit how close you are to them when they shoot in the early game I said fuck it and dropped it; NGB remains superior
Well the thing that made the rocket launchers bullshit is that they could come from different angles virtually off screen? The camera itself was horrid.

kai3345

Banned
speaking of action games i just downloaded that transformers game that platinum did off of PS+ and im not even super into transformers or anything but that thing has been a blast so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom