• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
He has tho.

84do7v50l2ox.gif

FLOP

Had some good joints, but Ye's lazy writing killed a lot of the songs that would've had more potential. Like 30 Hours with its absolute garbage second half, or Wolves with its stupid line repeats.

Kanye had a good run, I suppose?

I don't know, everyone knows I'm not a Kanye stan though I've always admired a lot of what he's done.

The Kids of Widney High has actually been a favorite of mine for about ten years ago. I actually stumbled upon this group quite a while ago, and their material is fun as hell to listen to and has a lot of joy permeating from it. The instrumentation is fun as hell, too (though its played by staff and parents).

Sadly, idiots listen to their music for unintentional comedy or find their music a novelty or something. For me it shows that anyone can make good music, regardless of who you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcQFDhd0chI&index=27&list=PLE2SzmHnAd-lxKarvtJey7xAcV-67Am8q

This reggae jam is pretty tight, too.

Probably the most disappointing album it seems.

What about TLOP?
It's on my top 10 for sure. As a whole work, it's not his best, quite possibly his worst. However, as an album simply containing songs, it's really good. ULB, Waves, FML, Fade, No More Parties in LA, Famous, intro to FSMH Pt. 1, Wolves (excluding sandwich line), Real Friends, potentially even Feedback are all really really great songs. It's such a shame the odd bad lyric kills the album for me, along with the lack of a central theme or cohesive vision for it. It quite honestly feels like the album Kanye just set a release date for and worked on last minute, hoping people would like it. It's the audio equivalent of me writing an essay 3 hours before its due, with the same result: solid B.

Koozek

The Kids of Widney High has actually been a favorite of mine for about ten years ago. I actually stumbled upon this group quite a while ago, and their material is fun as hell to listen to and has a lot of joy permeating from it. The instrumentation is fun as hell, too.
The fact that I wasn't sure for about half a minute if you were serious or not is frightening.

Koozek

It's on my top 10 for sure. As a whole work, it's not his best, quite possibly his worst. However, as an album simply containing songs, it's really good. ULB, Waves, FML, Fade, No More Parties in LA, Famous, intro to FSMH Pt. 1, Wolves (excluding sandwich line), Real Friends, potentially even Feedback are all really really great songs. It's such a shame the odd bad lyric kills the album for me, along with the lack of a central theme or cohesive vision for it. It quite honestly feels like the album Kanye just set a release date for and worked on last minute, hoping people would like it. It's the audio equivalent of me writing an essay 3 hours before its due, with the same result: solid B.
You get a solid L for your post from me.

Koozek

Haven't I said before that difficulties with learning have been a part of my life and a family member of mine is Autistic?
Ooops, I didn't even know what that group is. Only listened to a couple of seconds thinking it was just corny kid's rap on TV. And I don't remember you ever talking about that in here. Do you have some form of it too?

Ooops, I didn't even know what that group is. Only listened to a couple of seconds thinking it was just corny kid's rap on TV. And I don't remember you ever talking about that in here. Do you have some form of it too?

Probably. Maybe Aspergers? My mother has usually suspected my dad has some low form of it, too. Still, I recommend listening to some of their other songs, they're really enjoyable and make for a joyful listen.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Been too busy to write full reviews but the gist:

DJ Mustard's Cold Summer - Most songs are passable IMO, but nothing has lasting power so.. whatever? Closest thing is Main Bitch, IMO.

Danny Brown's Atrocity Exhibition - Excellently varied in terms of production, and Danny Brown is serviceable on most songs. Tell Me What I Don't Know and Pneumonia are the stronger tracks, and well-chosen singles IMO. Seems like a happy medium between Danny's sonic roots and electronic influences, which is good, almost like a centring after Old. Pretty limited replay value, but I wouldn't call it a bad project because the production props it up significantly.

21 Savage & Metro Boomin's Savage Mode - Shit is fire and surprisingly cohesive. Pretty much every song has this... well let's just say the name is appropriate. Gully sounding shit without doing too much over a beat. Pretty good marriage between MC and producer. I can understand how someone could say the tracks are a bit samey, but to me they're just different enough.

Kap G ft. Ty Dolla $ign & Quavo - Girlfriend (Remix). Goes, mostly because Kap G's cadence on the original is fire and Ty and Quavo cook with it.
Ima pass her like I'm Kyrie, Irving

Posted? Nardwuar vs. Mike Dean.

Permanently A

I'm a pretty casual hip hop listener, I like stuff like Killer Mike and Aesop Rock. What artists are similar?

(first time in this thread, apologies if these kinds of posts are frowned upon)

21 Savage & Metro Boomin's Savage Mode - Shit is fire and surprisingly cohesive. Pretty much every song has this... well let's just say the name is appropriate. Gully sounding shit without doing too much over a beat. Pretty good marriage between MC and producer. I can understand how someone could say the tracks are a bit samey, but to me they're just different enough.

I've never seen anyone point this out, but is it only me or this album is kind of the yin to the yang of what rappers like Ka and Roc doing. I'm obviously not talking about the topic of the albums or the quality, but the overall sound. Savage mode has an extremely ambient like I would say Ka and Roc does, well moreso Ka. Either way Metro Boomin absolutely killed it on the album. I felt like he leveled up x5

Drake's one of my favourites going right now, but I'm not even hyped for new music tbh. He's just been dull this year imo.

Hoping he pulls back soon for a while and recalibrates before the next album.

Views really killed that Drake hype for me too. I thought he was a monster as well straight from take care all the way to before views was out.

Hopefully that ye collab happens and reinvigorates the sound.

HiResDes

I've never seen anyone point this out, but is it only me or this album is kind of the yin to the yang of what rappers like Ka and Roc doing. I'm obviously not talking about the topic of the albums or the quality, but the overall sound. Savage mode has an extremely ambient like I would say Ka and Roc does, well moreso Ka. Either way Metro Boomin absolutely killed it on the album. I felt like he leveled up x5
Beats are great Savage is terrible on ninety percent of the tracks. Hype up this bullshit and then virtually call one of the most progressive rap albums of the year mediocre, cmon

Doesn't deserve a response if you can't deduce and are being serious.

Really you don't deserve a response if your reading comprehension is so low you that you read this
I didn't enjoy it much honestly. As Danny continues on with his rap career the less effort goes into the versatility of his voice that he used to have. I'm sure he'll always have bars that I really enjoy but I simply don't see myself enjoying his future projects. It's a shame because I felt this was coming due to his features and such.

and claimed I called the album mediocre. I'm clearly just saying the album isn't for me. Besides I didn't even speak on the quality of Savage Mode. I just talked about the beats, but continue on reading through these lines you might eventually be right one day.

Danny Brown high pitch voice is just what I cannot get into. It's the only dealbreaker really. I might actually not mind it one day or I might continue on to

I'm wondering what Kendrick is up to right now.
He's not coming out with an album for at least another 2 years, so likely he's just killing features and expanding his capabilities as an artist.

off the top of my head there's only two releases left I'm looking forward to in 2016 and Bandana might not even make it anymore
For me, I don't know who's dropping in 2016 and who isn't anymore. I'd have thought 2016 would end with Earl, FlyLo/Captain Murphy, and RTJ, with a couple of surprise drops peppered in and under-the-radar projects I'd discover. However, I can really only be sure that RTJ is dropping in 2016 because of their constant updates saying they want to release it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom