• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched the entire Canibus Dizaster battle.

Holy shit, Canibus got bodied, dismembered, shat upon, burned, and was put back into the Earth via compost.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Holy shit, Canibus got bodied, dismembered, shat upon, burned, and was put back into the Earth via compost.
That was Dizaster at his peak too.

Canibus wasn't ready, but there are few people ever who could have stood in front of Diz that night.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As far as battle rapping goes, where does Dizaster rank? Serious question here.
He's been quite inconsistent over the years, and is kind of a knucklehead, but he's pretty certifiably a legend. Been killing people through different eras (i.e. more freestyle-heavy tournaments of the 00s, current written era), has faced a lot of different competition, and pretty much no one can spit as dense, multisyllabic freestyles like he can.

PlayDat

I've seen them live at a small venue.
Was lit.

I had great time when I saw them live. It was in NYC less than 2 months after their first album came out. Kool-AD, Despot, and eXquire all performed before them. They even did Tougher, Colder, Killer since everyone was there for their verses. Would love to see them again. It's been more than two years since I last went to any show.

Eos

Pull out a notebook midway through a rap battle and still lose brehs
dead.png

dead.png

I've never seen anybody just flat out GIVE UP. And wow, canibus was falling back on the most generic, unimaginative shit I've ever heard. Dizaster just attacked the dude personally and it was sad to watch.

IrishNinja

I've seen them live at a small venue.
Was lit.

same, looking to go back in january if general admission's still about

dead.png

shit was so bad, you could tell diz was super letdown that someone he looked up to was so washed & barely tried, i think that stung

New RTJ is nice. I find it's just better to listen to their shit and not care about anything surrounding 'em.

i'm thankfully out of the loop on the hate - is it the high-density CAC fanbase, are they jumping off Em's shit on that "i don't like hip hop, but.." type shit? cause i just love El-P & Mike and fuck with their music heavy.

The Pete Rock x Smoke Dza joint and Hamilton mixtape are out.

oh word? need impressions on pete x DZA, prolly gonna be whatever but i'd love to be wrong

I just hope this new Cole album isn't as much of a snoozefest as Forest Hills Drive.

In for Irish's review

damn, i'm behind on actual music i look forward to, prolly gonna be switching shit off on the radio before i get around to giving it a proper go

cole just brings so little to the table that others don't do better that it's hard to wanna give shit another shot. like drake, he's been showing his limitations for a minute to me, but what's in his wheelwell just isn't nearly as enjoyable as drake...and i say that as someone who thinks most simp shit should've stayed in 90's R&B

http://tidal.com/us/jcole

j cole doc for his album

went at Ye's neck, shat on uzi & yachty too..

whew

i mean, look at this
a man in a hospital & 2 soft targets, hardbody shit here ya'll

Reckoner

When I read that post, I was shocked. Like what the fuck, does the casual racism just not register or something?

I bet the same fucktards that were saying "OMG the cursing and the loudness and the rippity raps" are the same idiots who only listen to videogame OSTs and wonder why no one lets them play their music in the car. They're the same idiots who are like "Music nowadays sucks, the Beatles and the Stones are the best!". It aggravates me when I just see people completely sideline an entire genre.

Your post carries so much truth in it lmao

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
What would you guys recommend me if I like the Weeknd, PND and Frank Ocean? Looking for some new stuff to play in the car.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.

Syntsui

Holy shit, Cole is not fucking around in these two new songs. This will probably have a very different vibe e from his last album, thank God.

nortonff

Can't believe I slept on T R A P S O U L. Shit is fire.

So, Cole's Ye diss is probably not going to go down easy with people. It's the same issue Drake had with Cudi's diss; releasing it at a time when the media was sympathetic to him. it's weird because it seems to be a mix of moments of concern and moments of just being a straight up diss track at times. He calls Kanye's new stuff wack while saying he's worried Ye's being surrounded by yes men. He says this: "Maybe it's my fault for idolizing niggas based off the words they be rappin' / But come to find out, these niggas don't even write they shit / Hear some new style bubblin' up, then they bite the shit / Damn, that's what I get for lyin' to myself" while also saying "Well, fuck it, what's more important is he's cryin' out for help."

It's stuck in this weird limbo of being a friendly expression of concern / armchair psychology while containing more than its fair share of disses.

Cole went in ye whew, maybe drake shots too?
Yeah, life is a balance
You lose your grip, you can slip into an abyss
No doubt you see these niggas trippin'
Ego in charge of every move, he's a star
And we can't look away due to the days that he caught our hearts
He's fallin' apart, but we deny it
Justifying that half-ass shit he dropped, we always buy it
When he tell us he a genius but it's clearer lately
It's been hard for him to look into the mirror lately
There was a time when this nigga was my hero, maybe
That's the reason why his fall from grace is hard to take
'Cause I believed him when he said his shit was purer and he
The type of nigga swear he real but all around him's fake
The women, the dickriders, you know, the yes men
Nobody with the balls to say somethin' to contest him
So he grows out of control
Into the person that he truly was all along, it's startin' to show
Damn, wonder what happened
Maybe it's my fault for idolizing niggas based off the words they be rappin'
But come to find out, these niggas don't even write they shit
Hear some new style bubblin' up, then they bite the shit
Damn, that's what I get for lyin' to myself
Well, fuck it, what's more important is he's cryin' out for help
While the world's eggin' him on, I'm beggin' him to stop
And playin' his old shit, knowin' he won't top it, false prophets
Wale not safe either
I got a homie, he a rapper and he wanna win bad
He want the fame, the acclaim, the respect that's been had
By all the legends, so every time I see him, he stressin'
Talkin' 'bout, niggas don't fuck with him, the shit is depressin'
And I know he so bitter he can't see his own blessings
Goddamn, nigga, you too blind to see you got fans, nigga
And a platform to make a classic rap song
To change a nigga life, but you too anxious livin' life
Always worried 'bout the critics who ain't ever fuckin' did it

Uzi,Yahcty, chance the preacher too
Line up niggas in order of who you think can really fuck with me most
Then I tuck the heat close, if he don't duck then he ghost
Ain't no need for discussion, if they weren't talking 'bout the bread these motherfuckers be toast
Clap at the fake deep rappers, the OG gatekeep rappers, the would you take a break please rappers
A bunch of words and ain't saying shit I hate these rappers
Especially the amateur 8 week rappers
Lil "whatever", just another short bus rapper
Fake drug dealers turn tour bus trappers
Napoleon complex, you this tall rappers
Get exposed standing next to 6"4 rappers
The streets don't fuck with you, you Pitchfork rappers
Chosen by the white man you hipster rappers
I reload the clip then I hit more rappers with that
Straight shitting on these piss-poor rappers

Will cole finally come thru?

Heine

Neo Member
Long time lurker, first time poster. Since Last.fm got rid of groups I've been looking for a new spot to discuss hip-hop.

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc) - Beast Coast. Chiraq is embarrassing.
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) – Hardcore, as much as I disagree with the notion of ‘real hip-hop’.
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five) – Ghostface Killah, Travi$ Scott, Danny Brown, Young Thug & Nas.
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five) - Nobuo Uematsu, Thom Yorke, Flying Lotus, Nosaj Thing & Banks.
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? – Last year was Rodeo. This year, The Sun’s Tirade.
6. What are you listening to right now? – Bwana 'Capsule’s Pride'. Specifically K&K (Lovers in the Light).
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? – It ain’t rap but my guilty pleasure would be Babymetal's The One. As for what someone might give me shit about - The only albums I've listened to of Kanye's is Graduation and TLOP. I respect his ability but I don’t have the desire to listen to his material.
8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
Apathy: Eastern Philosophy > Handshakes with Snakes > Honkey Kong > Connecticut Casual > Wanna Snuggle?

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? – I think hip-hop is in a very good place, it's at it's most interesting point right now.
2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? – GFK. Most consistent artist in the game.
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Lil' B or Anyone else (correct answer is Lil' B)? – Nas, Biggie and Lil' B.
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? – Roc Marciano 'Rosebudd’s Revenge'.
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated? – Underrated, Erick Arc Elliot. He seriously stepped up his rapping abilitiy between D.R.U.G.S and BetterOffDead. Overrated - Jada, how you gonna claim Top 5 DoA when you haven’t released a classic album?
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? – Eat.
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? – Neither.
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? – I lost all hope for Em when he decided to fuck around and make piss poor attempts at motivation shit with his weak ass singing.
9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? – Katy B count as a pop singer? the finest, for sure, gotta be Nicki.
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... – I graduated my masters with a Distinction.

Nibel

Why is that 2nd verse about Wale? Might be Drake

1st one seems to be Ye all the way

Last part is pretty obvious tho

That second verse outlines wale more. I seem to think his verses are more about people in the limelight. Wale puts himself there with his twitter/Instagram banter with fans.

Syntsui

Cole is talking about Ye/Wale/Yatchy. He is a close friend to Drake since forever, he won't ever diss him without some dramatic fallout.

Eos

Long time lurker, first time poster. Since Last.fm got rid of groups I've been looking for a new spot to discuss hip-hop.

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc) - Beast Coast. Chiraq is embarrassing.
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) – Hardcore, as much as I disagree with the notion of ‘real hip-hop’.
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five) – Ghostface Killah, Travi$ Scott, Danny Brown, Young Thug & Nas.
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five) - Nobuo Uematsu, Thom Yorke, Flying Lotus, Nosaj Thing & Banks.
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? – Last year was Rodeo. This year, The Sun’s Tirade.
6. What are you listening to right now? – Bwana 'Capsule’s Pride'. Specifically K&K (Lovers in the Light).
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? – It ain’t rap but my guilty pleasure would be Babymetal's The One. As for what someone might give me shit about - The only albums I've listened to of Kanye's is Graduation and TLOP. I respect his ability but I don’t have the desire to listen to his material.
8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
Apathy: Eastern Philosophy > Handshakes with Snakes > Honkey Kong > Connecticut Casual > Wanna Snuggle?

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? – I think hip-hop is in a very good place, it's at it's most interesting point right now.
2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? – GFK. Most consistent artist in the game.
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Lil' B or Anyone else (correct answer is Lil' B)? – Nas, Biggie and Lil' B.
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? – Roc Marciano 'Rosebudd’s Revenge'.
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated? – Underrated, Erick Arc Elliot. He seriously stepped up his rapping abilitiy between D.R.U.G.S and BetterOffDead. Overrated - Jada, how you gonna claim Top 5 DoA when you haven’t released a classic album?
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? – Eat.
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? – Neither.
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? – I lost all hope for Em when he decided to fuck around and make piss poor attempts at motivation shit with his weak ass singing.
9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? – Katy B count as a pop singer? the finest, for sure, gotta be Nicki.
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... – I graduated my masters with a Distinction.

Welcome!

HiResDes

What would you guys recommend me if I like the Weeknd, PND and Frank Ocean? Looking for some new stuff to play in the car.

K. Forest - Eyes of Taiga
6LACK - Free 6LACK
Dawn Richard - Redemption
Eric Bellinger - Eric B For President
Roy Woods - Waking at Dawn

xHiryu

dza x pete rock tape is solid but i love pete rock so it might be biased, some of the features are pretty dope too.

as of now its a solid 7/10, nothing really stands out on the first listen but it all flows well and sounds cohesive.

what has gaf-hop being listening to recently?

dza x pete rock tape is solid but i love pete rock so it might be biased, some of the features are pretty dope too.

as of now its a solid 7/10, nothing really stands out on the first listen but it all flows well and sounds cohesive.

what has gaf-hop being listening to recently?

I've been listening to Hold My Liquor on repeat today basically. I tried to start listening to Yeezus at work yesterday, but that album is not great to have on in the background when you're concentrated on something else. That album is weird. I'm pretty sure it'll grow on me (I thought the same about 808s at first as well, now I love it). For now I like Hold My Liquor, Bound 2 and Blood On The Leaves.

I've also been listening to MF DOOM (mostly Mm.. Food and a little bit of Madvillany) and he's just fun to listen to. Also, still making my way through OutKast's discography. There's too much good music.

Why is that 2nd verse about Wale? Might be Drake

1st one seems to be Ye all the way

Last part is pretty obvious tho
Watch Wale interviews and you could see it is about him 100%. Wale is incredibly bitter about his name never being brought up alongside Cole Kendrick and Drake despite doing decent numbers.

There is no chance diss anywhere in the song. J Cole is actually a big fan of his

IrishNinja

lolololol @ cole on about "fake deep rappers", my dude that's your entire lane

So, Cole's Ye diss is probably not going to go down easy with people. It's the same issue Drake had with Cudi's diss; releasing it at a time when the media was sympathetic to him. it's weird because it seems to be a mix of moments of concern and moments of just being a straight up diss track at times. He calls Kanye's new stuff wack while saying he's worried Ye's being surrounded by yes men. He says this: "Maybe it's my fault for idolizing niggas based off the words they be rappin' / But come to find out, these niggas don't even write they shit / Hear some new style bubblin' up, then they bite the shit / Damn, that's what I get for lyin' to myself" while also saying "Well, fuck it, what's more important is he's cryin' out for help."

It's stuck in this weird limbo of being a friendly expression of concern / armchair psychology while containing more than its fair share of disses.

yeah i was wondering that myself, it's not a bad track but the timing is pretty shitty....his fanbase will give him props cause yeezy's changed too much & they clearly like an artist who is literally unable to evolve, but still

this about meets my expectations, so nice

Bronx-Man

Banned
KYLE ft Lil Yachty - iSpy

Loving this track tbh. Great tropical beat and kyle + lil boat come through with some goofy bars.

Speaking of Boat, what's up with the J Cole thing? I can see him throwing shots at Ye/Drake/Wale since those are his contemporaries, but what's Yachty ever done to him? Not a good look to go double platinum but still having to throw shots at soundcloud niggas.

KYLE ft Lil Yachty - iSpy

Loving this track tbh. Great tropical beat and kyle + lil boat come through with some goofy bars.

Speaking of Boat, what's up with the J Cole thing? I can see him throwing shots at Ye/Drake/Wale since those are his contemporaries, but what's Yachty ever done to him? Not a good look to go double platinum WITH NO FEATURES COLE WORLD but still having to throw shots at soundcloud niggas.
FTFY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom