• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

It's not a sample.

It's literally an interpolation i.e. they used one bar of that song's hook in "T-Shirt" and had to credit it.
Wait, I literally just convinced myself that they slowed down, filtered (and reversed?) that short synth flute from the D4L beat. LMAO. This is why I fully believe in the power of placebos. Like, sometimes I'm making a beat, fiddling with a plug-in, thinking "yeah, it sounds nice now!", and then realize the plug-in was muted in the mixer channel all the time.

FZZ

Banned
If you play Culture and BoTW at the same time it matches up perfectly at all times

All Ass comes on during memory flashbacks of Zelda

Real

Vorheez

If you play Culture and BoTW at the same time it matches up perfectly at all times

All Ass comes on during memory flashbacks of Zelda

Real
Lol

You guys ready for that new drizzy? We're having a listening party at my home. We have 12 different kinds chardonnay and 15 different types of cheeses for guests. My cousin Doug's ipod is plugged into the 7.1 Dolby surround system and we are playing cards while we wait. I cant wait, drizzy the 6god is our Lord and savoury

1 minute until more life
Well, 8 more minutes now.
White Lines is probably the best in my opinion.
I think "Aint It Funny" is the best combination of the off-kilter electronic aesthete Danny and the drug-fueled bangers Danny. It's warped, it's frenetic, and it's one of those beats that you just want to feel. "White Lines", I'm more mixed on because while I like Danny's unique delivery on the song, the beat doesn't do anything for me that same way "Aint It Funny" or "Really Doe" or "Pneumonia" or "Goldust" do.

I'd put White Lines in the same category as From The Ground, a song which I can appreciate from a conceptual POV but one that doesn't connect with me as much as some of the other cuts.

blanchot

I signed up for KanyeToThe last week and I still haven't been approved. I was approved quicker on here. Is this normal or has my registration been rejected?

I signed up for KanyeToThe last week and I still haven't been approved. I was approved quicker on here. Is this normal or has my registration been rejected?
I signed up via FB and got access instantly.

Only thing is when you do that, your profile pic automatically becomes your FB profile pic.

Vorheez

As someone who places XXX in his top three albums of all time, it pains me to say that I did not enjoy Atrocity Exhibition. I can recognize the artistry present in the music, and Danny is still one of the best at conveying his thoughts and feelings, but the album is just too jarring to listen to. It's not a pleasant sound, and I found almost all of the songs grating. It's hard to appreciate lyricism and storytelling when the product as a whole is aggravating. It's like the "cocktail party effect" when you're trying to pay attention to someone in a loud and crowded room; there is all this extraneous noise that you find frustrating and distracting. That specific feeling is what I experience while listening to Atrocity Exhibition.

I feel that this is a product of how Danny approached both records. With XXX, he set out to make music that he wanted to make, an album about Danny Brown. The weirdness and darkness found throughout the album was epiphenomenal to the music. Those properties arose naturally from Danny's exuberant personality over wacky beats (unlike the invasive and jarring beats found on AE). He set out to make an honest and vulnerable record, and people naturally picked up on the dark nature of that vulnerability. I feel as if Danny made Atrocity Exhibition in response to that praise. Instead of just making another honest album about Danny Brown, and letting those feelings and vibes be expressed naturally, he instead made a record where he tried to recapture that feeling and tried to give the listeners a Danny Brown that they wanted. This inherently made the music less honest to me because he was trying to be as wacky, wild, and dark as he could (which made the album feel manufactured). There is still honesty and vulnerability there, I won't deny that, but it "feels" different compared to XXX. It feels like somebody is being wacky and wild because they're expected and pressured to be.

blanchot

I signed up via FB and got access instantly.

Only thing is when you do that, your profile pic automatically becomes your FB profile pic.

Just tried that, leads to a broken page which just says "Loading..."

Oh well. I likely wouldn't have used the account anyway. moderated registrations bug me. i get they're valuable in filtering out trolls but they also drive away new members.

Hitta93

Banned
As someone who places XXX in his top three albums of all time, it pains me to say that I did not enjoy Atrocity Exhibition.
I love Danny Brown, but top 3? What are the other 2?

I've enjoyed AE for what it is. Hybrid still his best overall release to me.
Dunno how many tracks I've missed since the stream started but I need this to be put on Apple Music already so I can dl it

Death to streaming exclusives.

HiResDes

As someone who places XXX in his top three albums of all time, it pains me to say that I did not enjoy Atrocity Exhibition. I can recognize the artistry present in the music, and Danny is still one of the best at conveying his thoughts and feelings, but the album is just too jarring to listen to. It's not a pleasant sound, and I found almost all of the songs grating. It's hard to appreciate lyricism and storytelling when the product as a whole is aggravating. It's like the "cocktail party effect" when you're trying to pay attention to someone in a loud and crowded room; there is all this extraneous noise that you find frustrating and distracting. That specific feeling is what I experience while listening to Atrocity Exhibition.

I feel that this is a product of how Danny approached both records. With XXX, he set out to make music that he wanted to make, an album about Danny Brown. The weirdness and darkness found throughout the album was epiphenomenal to the music. Those properties arose naturally from Danny's exuberant personality over wacky beats (unlike the invasive and jarring beats found on AE). He set out to make an honest and vulnerable record, and people naturally picked up on the dark nature of that vulnerability. I feel as if Danny made Atrocity Exhibition in response to that praise. Instead of just making another honest album about Danny Brown, and letting those feelings and vibes be expressed naturally, he instead made a record where he tried to recapture that feeling and tried to give the listeners a Danny Brown that they wanted. This inherently made the music less honest to me because he was trying to be as wacky, wild, and dark as he could (which made the album feel manufactured). There is still honesty and vulnerability there, I won't deny that, but it "feels" different compared to XXX. It feels like somebody is being wacky and wild because they're expected and pressured to be.
Man this is very similar to my write up, also would place XXX in my top three

Helmholtz

Yeah Atrocity is grating as hell to listen to. I feel like I'd have to be in a very specific mood and setting to truly get into it, it's not something I would ever put on casually or in the background. It's cool that there's someone making stuff with really experimental production and trying to blend genres a bit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom