• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think "Glow" is definitely a cut from their collaborative album sessions. Ye posted a picture around August of last year entitled "Glow", so, while a bit of a reach, it does make more sense that Drake would use a cut from an album that's unlikely to happen now.

Hopefully, more details come out regarding the song, namely if the beef is squashed or not.

Icolin

Banned
More Life is better than Views, but it's still bloated and overly long, like much of his work.

Hopefully Drake's next project is more concise.

Fjordson

Ice Melts is really interesting with that beat. Nice close to the album with that and Do Not Disturb.

Dope overall, will get some decent replay.

overcast

I'm just interested why Drake doesn't just denote More Life as a studio album.
It honestly doesn't matter even a bit. This is an album just like If You're Reading This was.

On this one there are a few songs that are straight up not his songs (not a ghost writer joke this time). So maybe that's different.

HiiiLife

Been out the country for a minute so interne tbeen spotty but now I can finally listen to this from beginning to end. Thank god for wifi.

Finally listening to The Divine Feminine, not sure what to think about it. The production is excellent, but Mac Miller less so. His presence kind of takes away from the production.

Village

Lol, yeah, joked about 2017 being the year of the flute in Rap a few days ago and now there's another one. Loving it, haha.

c3Cos1f.gif
Pied pipers they be

hmm , the last time I noticed this many flutes was the last ditch, mid 00's jazzy hip hop period before everything went autotune and electronic. That was an odd time

Helmholtz

I can't with drake's fucking accent man. What a twat.
To be fair, I'm from Toronto and a lot of younger people here talk like this in day to day conversation. Maybe that doesn't make it any better, but it's not a Drake exclusive thing or anything, he probably did grow up with people who used the accent/slang. I work with people who talk like this, and in my high school it was like that too.
It's definitely not everyone or even the majority, more for the younger urban kids I guess.
Making it such an increasing presence in his music though is pretty questionable.. I know people here in Toronto who are annoyed by it too.
I was already noticing this trend after Get Right Witcha, Mask Off and Tunnel Vision. I'm liking it though.
This is maybe the worst flute in recent times though. Mask Off and Tunnel Vision were ace.

I'm kind of surprised Drake was okay with Thug wailing jeeeeeeefferrrryyyyyyy over that track. Honestly that track should have been cut.

Helmholtz

Woke up today and gave More Life another listen. Yeah, nah, it's just boring. Done with it. Back to Smino and Rozay.
Same, there's a few tracks there I'll put in my playlist because they're enjoyable enough, but I don't see many standouts here. I've never been a big Drake fan though, I typically only listen to his projects for a month or two before moving on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finally got around to listening to More Life.

Production is maybe 66% good, which is just enough for mostly okay songs overall. Okay albums are usually boring and not worth going back to later though, which is kind of what I expect. TBH it got droning at some point and I had to pause and do something else to recharge and get back to it.

Free Smoke, Gyalchester (cringeworthy name), Ice Melts, No Long Talk & KMT (it's still cringeworthy, but the slang/accent hijack aren't that jarring because of the production) all bang. Portland is pretty disappointing, Travis does okay but it feels like a flub overall for the lineup (reminds me of Gucci On My), I blame that wack ass frankenstein of a beat (I expected more from Murda). Glow is disappointing for being the first Drake x Kanye song and feels like a goddamn reference, also feels frankenstein-y and lacking the polish that usually comes with Ye's stuff. Just a lot of middling stuff that doesn't come together and you won't go back to for those 2-3 lines of that one verse or that one good idea in that one song you liked. Only outright bad stuff is Skepta's Interlude and Portland's beat, but much of the rest of it feels like audio slush.

Definitely think it's his worst project. Views had higher highs (U With Me?, Fire & Desire, Controlla, Pop Style, etc.) and was better put together (which is expected and not really a 1:1 comparison because this is essentially a compilation, but it's not that great a one at that), and even though it had a similar number of songs, didn't feel like this much of a slog. Even IYRTITL felt like it had more quality control and was better curated than this. Drake's next studio needs to be 13 songs max, TBH.

Shame, I was really looking forward to using this GIF to describe the album, but it only really describes some of the bangers I listed above and the real standouts, which IMO are No Long Talk, Blem, 4422, Teenage Fever and Do Not Disturb:

2LRsqyn.gif

Koozek

Same, there's a few tracks there I'll put in my playlist because they're enjoyable enough, but I don't see many standouts here. I've never been a big Drake fan though, I typically only listen to his projects for a month or two before moving on.
Been a huge stan since '09 up until two years ago. Thought IYRTITL was really cool, but then after that I guess I just became oversaturated. Views was such a bore. Tired of his corny singing, the same old personal songs, the monotonous voice etc. I think he should take a break, ground himself a bit.

illadelph

I'm just interested why Drake doesn't just denote More Life as a studio album.

Drake and Kanye got too big to call something what it is. It helps them seem like more of an "artist" if they do some visionary shit like calling an album a "playlist."

A collection of songs released as a unit is called an album, just like a collection of photographs is called an album.

LionPride

Banned
How can anyone enjoy Views more than More Life? Views is the wettest of wet farts put into album format. The entire album save one song is actual trash

Helmholtz

What do you folks think about Chanel right now?
At first it didn't click with me but now I think it's top tier Frank. Really like the lyrics on it.
It's not that bad.
Yeah I never really thought it was bad, just middling. I think More Life at least has some more interesting things going on it, even though the overall project isn't blowing me away.

LionPride

Banned
It's not that bad.
No, it is. I listen to albums three times before reviewing them. Three. Views was the first album where I did one and a half and I just quit because that album is not good. The only song on there worth a damn is Grammys and that's just a great workout song.

What do you folks think about Chanel right now?
At first it didn't click with me but now I think it's top tier Frank. Really like the lyrics on it.
I really enjoy the track. The rapping first verse, the second verse where he sings in a higher range, and even the outro verse is great. I like the way it sticks with the minimalism of "Blonde" too. It's a great track.

Re: More Life. I'd normally relisten to a project like it to really get a feel for it, but I don't want to invest 90 more minutes of my life in a project I know I only like 20 minutes or so of. It's still not as cohesive as "Views", Drake wastes features by Quavo, Travis, and even Sampha of all people, and it's very clearly a manifestation of Drake's view of himself. He isn't a rapper, he's a pop star, and as such More Life is very definitely a pop album. It contains tracks to appeal to all sides of his fanbase and does nothing extraordinary or adventurous. "Passionfruit" is the real highlight of this damn thing, and everything else is middling to boring. All in all, it's a Drake album. Like I said before this whole thing started, I was really only excited for the handful of great tracks in the sea of mediocrity.

Favorite tracks are: "Passionfruit", "Get It Together", "Skepta Interlude", "KMT", Young Thug's verse on "Sacrifices", "Glow"

So when are we, as a society, going to admit that Drake accidentally shat out his best material on a "mixtape" and has been rudderless ever since? Like, how long will it take the general public to figure out that dude's lost? Hell, how long will it take hip-hop fans?

So when are we, as a society, going to admit that Drake accidentally shat out his best material on a "mixtape" and has been rudderless ever since? Like, how long will it take the general public to figure out that dude's lost? Hell, how long will it take hip-hop fans?
Hell, I've been saying "So Far Gone" is one of his best projects till date for a while now. I also think "Take Care" and "IYRTITL" is a bit overrated.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Views was definitely not as bad as the reaction made it seem. Those songs, particularly the more R&B ones, I listed are Drake in the same bag he was in when he made Take Care & NWTS at the height of his career.

None of that on More Life really, hints of it on Do Not Disturb but that's it. More Life is more swaggerjacking, less catchier, less of Drake's strengths on display, significantly worse production, one of the few great songs doesn't have Drake at all on it, content is worse-to-nonexistent and Views is worse?

ok there

Like I said, audio slush.

Hitta93

Banned

Hell, I've been saying "So Far Gone" is one of his best projects till date for a while now. I also think "Take Care" and "IYRTITL" is a bit overrated.

Don't remember IYRTITL being as highly regarded when it first released.

Take Care is his best album, even if it is a little bloated.

Hitta93

Banned
No, it is. I listen to albums three times before reviewing them. Three. Views was the first album where I did one and a half and I just quit because that album is not good. The only song on there worth a damn is Grammys and that's just a great workout song.

Sounds like you were just expecting a different sounding Drake album.

I'll agree Grammys is the best track, but Still Here and Hype are in the same lane of aggressive raps.

overcast

Grammy's was pretty bad. Views had a great opening and I'll agree with Enzo about some of the pop tracks on there being some of his best. Feel No Ways is top tier Drake, U With Me is solid too. Album was mediocre as a whole.

This feels less memorable. Passionfruit stuck our most on first listen.

HiiiLife

Yeah when people kept saying it's IFYRTITL on steroids prior to release got me all hyped. I feel it's not even close. You're better taking tracks off Views and tracks off ML and putting together an album of Passionfruits and Feel No Ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom