• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You lost me when you go to Kanye's That Part verse as part of your argument

I will not let this thread legitimize meme rap without a fight
Uzi > Kenny, tbh.

iNLjxQD.gif
You've lost and you don't even know it.

Koozek

Can you explain what about the that part remix you found "lyrical miracle"?

You can not like kendrick's recent features and such but I've never found the lyrical miracle stuff to be a sound argument, at all. Its not like he's saying shit just to say it where the words don't actually mean anything like eminem does.

What "many others" did you find to be lyrical miracle raps?

His verse on Isaiah Rashad's album?
His verse on 21 shots?
Holy Key?
Deep Water?
Vice City?
Really Doe?

Like I said, you can not like kendrick's style or what not but I'm not sure what you're expecting if you've been following Kendrick's career, he never just rides a beat.

Yeah, his pop features were bad( on bad pop songs) but both his maroon 5 and sia features probably last 25 seconds combined.

I thought the feature on ransom 2 was dope, as was the Thundercat feature.
I would have to spend too much time to check every verse right now and I'd rather start playing NieR: Automata now that I finally have time again, sorry. Probably shouldn't have started this kind of debate when I wasn't ready to back it off, lol.

"Lyrical miracle" doesn't necessarily mean that something doesn't make sense grammatically/semantically, just that everything sounds unnatural and forced because you're trying to find as many silly words to rhyme, clever abbreviations, and awkward ways to say something simple. It becomes technical and feels off on most beats he's been rapping on. Like, this just sounds goofy to me:
Then PP on the PO's desk
I'm Jay Z in a blow out press
Relate me to your blowout's best
Can't heat me, I'm remote you're deaf
I'm HD, causin' photo theft
My AC antifreeze got a (that part)
Hold your breath, I'm 8 feet when I hold this TEC
Protect me from the local threats
My ID say my eye don't rest
My IV qualify T-rex
Society kept my IQ vexed​

I don't know... maybe he's just not for me anymore outside of conceptually strong albums with dope production.

Then PP on the PO's desk
My IV qualify T-rex

Wow, this....is crap.

You've never heard that verse?

Nah, I love Kendrick but man I just don't feel that listening to every feature is worth it. Kendrick writes differently depending on what song he is doing, and it's clear that the quality varies for me. His verses on his pop collaborations are garbage.

huh? J cole only get better.

That's uhh....... that is certainly an opinion.

And I agree that GoldLink's stalled. His verses kinda blend together after a while. At What Cost still works for me though. Some of this stuff is just infectious and light, and the project doesn't overstay its welcome.

Koozek

Does anybody here know the show Broad City on Comedy Central? Discovered it a few days ago and it's hilarious. Hannibal Buress is so good in it, too.

Dereck

I would have to spend too much time to check every verse right now and I'd rather start playing NieR: Automata now that I finally have time again, sorry. Probably shouldn't have started this kind of debate when I wasn't ready to back it off, lol.

"Lyrical miracle" doesn't necessarily mean that something doesn't make sense grammatically/semantically, just that everything sounds unnatural and forced because you're trying to find as many silly words to rhyme, clever abbreviations, and awkward ways to say something simple. It becomes technical and feels off on most beats he's been rapping on. Like, this just sounds goofy to me:
Then PP on the PO's desk
My IV qualify T-rex

I don't know... maybe he's just not for me anymore outside of conceptually strong albums with dope production.
Came in for this.

Moonkid

I met a hip hop head at uni yesterday and it was interesting how he reacted to me naming hip hop as what I listened to the most. Judging by my appearance he thought I listened to classical music or something 'higher brow' like that. It struck me as odd at first because he also doesn't 'look' like someone who listens to hip hop - we're both eastern asian guys with glasses dressed smart casual. It's interesting because even though he didn't conform to stereotypes he still assumed it of me subconsciously. I'll admit I probably make similar judgement's too often and it made me think about biases/cultural norms in general and how these are reinforced. If I was wearing streetwear would he have been as surprised?

Fjordson

Man what a shitty situation. OVO sounds like a terrible label. Glad that he was able to come out, though. I didn't even know he had until reading this.

Makonnen can be goofy and put out some wack tracks, but some of his older stuff was dope, dude has a great ear for hooks and melodies. Hopefully he starts hitting on his own in some way.

overcast

Whew The Heart Pt . 4 is dope. Suitable continuation of that great string of songs.

Can't wait for April 7th. Gonna check out ransom 2

Koozek

I met a hip hop head at uni yesterday and it was interesting how he reacted to me naming hip hop as what I listened to the most. Judging by my appearance he thought I listened to classical music or something 'higher brow' like that. It struck me as odd at first because he also doesn't 'look' like someone who listens to hip hop - we're both eastern asian guys with glasses dressed smart casual. It's interesting because even though he didn't conform to stereotypes he still assumed it of me subconsciously. I'll admit I probably make similar judgement's too often and it made me think about biases/cultural norms in general and how these are reinforced. If I was wearing streetwear would he have been as surprised?
Yeah, know what you mean. I also had a similar situation again yesterday where I realized how silly and hypocritical it is that I sometimes negatively stereotype people that look like myself in a way that I'd hate knowing others doing to me. We're all susceptible to these thoughts, but it's important to at least always be aware of them to be able to avoid or reduce doing it.

Moonkid

I look even less than that, I look like a fucking bum. I think some people mistake me for a homeless person.
Going for the ye look, I see you.
Yeah, know what you mean. I also had a similar situation again yesterday where I realized how silly and hypocritical it is that I sometimes negatively stereotype people that look like myself in a way that I'd hate knowing others doing to me. We're all susceptible to these thoughts, but it's important to at least always be aware of them to be able to avoid or reduce doing it.
For sure and that was one of my main takeaways from that conversation. Another is to listen to these dudes called J.I.D. and Bas heh.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Thinking about that Mask Off freestyle, I feel like Joey would reach superstar status if he switched the boom-bap beats for Metro's stuff.

I can't afford Ye clothes, LOL.

I haven't got a haircut in seven months.
That was me, because haircuts here are like $20 and back home they're closer to $8. Now, I just get as close to bald as I can and let it grow over the school year. Only issue is that once it hits towards the end of the semester, I look stupid as fuck with my hair stuck between an afro and a curly mess.

I own three articles of ye clothing and I think their value combined is about how much my whole closet of clothes besides them are worth.

That was me, because haircuts here are like $20 and back home they're closer to $8. Now, I just get as close to bald as I can and let it grow over the school year. Only issue is that once it hits towards the end of the semester, I look stupid as fuck with my hair stuck between an afro and a curly mess.

I own three articles of ye clothing and I think their value combined is about how much my whole closet of clothes besides them are worth.

Meh, I'm just lazy, honestly. I can never figure out what I want to do with it, and every time I attempt to get a haircut it just ends up being a shitty ass generic buzzcut that makes me look like a thirteen year old.

Does anybody here know the show Broad City on Comedy Central? Discovered it a few days ago and it's hilarious. Hannibal Buress is so good in it, too.
No, but if you like that kind of show, there's this wacky new show airing on NBC about friends. I bet you'll never guess what it's called.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Teenage Fever makes me confident more New Toronto or w/e artists need to agree to participate in publicity stunt relationships in exchange for getting 90s R&B sample clearances.

Vorheez

Did you guys check out that new Iggy video yet? Jesus christ, I think I might be in love. She's my queen brehs

Song is alright too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom