• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
time to rate each song as i listen to it for the first time!

ratings are out of 4 stars, the only songs i'm saving to my spotify library are the 4/4's.

GUMMY: 3/4
QUEER: 2/4
JELLO: 3/4
~teeth interlude~
SWAMP: 2/4
~scene interlude~
TOKYO: 2/4
~jesus interlude~
CHICK: 3/4
JUNKY: 4/4
~scene 2 interlude~
FIGHT: 3/4
SWEET: 4/4
GAMBA: 3/4
SUNNY: 2/4
SUMMER: 3/4

notes:

gummy is alright
queer is decent but not great
jello has a pretty nice hook
swamp & tokyo are meh. not bad at all, but not songs i see myself listening to much.
the verse on CHICK about "internet gangsters" is awesome
kevin's opening verse on JUNKY is amazing, and the beat is fantastic too
the instrumental on FIGHT is really interesting.. oh man, the second half goes way harder than the first. this song would be amazing live.
the "teacher voice" on SWEET is pretty funny.
GAMBA is reminiscent of swim from Sat 1, but I don't like it quite as much. hook is good though, so it might grow on me.
SUNNY is meh.
love the instrumental on SUMMER.

overall:

total score: 3 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 3 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 3 = 34 out of 48 possible points

34 / 48 = 0.7

QuantumSquid's official score for SATURATION 2: 7 / 10

Fjordson

I like Blue Chips 7000 a lot, but it's more of the same from him. Won't change anyone's mind on Bronson.

I like it more than Mr. Wonderful though for sure. Production is crazy.

Tokubetsu

Lil Uzi Vert "UnFazed" feat. The Weeknd

CIPrXH5.gif

Koozek

Wtf, 7 tracks into the XXX album and it's only mellow singing.

Gonna check out the Uzi later.

What else is worth a listen from all that new shit dropping?

overcast

Wtf, 7 tracks into the XXX album and it's only mellow singing.

Gonna check out the Uzi later.

Literally everything aside from the two you picked.

Honestly though:
-Blue Chips 7000
-New Wiki
-Saturation 2
-Open Mike Eagle song
-Wait till society picks the one song out of Cozy Tapes that's nice

Alpende

Just listened to Cozy Tapes 2 and it's not really for me. I like some songs but I don't really dig their style. Still looking forward to Rocky's solo tape though, he outshone everybody.

Vorheez

You know, I'm indifferent to French, but I think he has one of the best flows right now. He can make almost anything sound wavy as hell.

Koozek

Heh, instantly noticed that one track on the Uzi was produced by Pharrell, but didn't realize it was him on the chorus and first verse. Funny to hear veterans like him and André using these new flows and intonations.

But yeah, unfortunately the album half-way into it isn't that interesting yet.

Catvoca

Banned
Not a fan of that Wiki album at all, I hate his voice.

Uzi is alright, definitely some keepers on there. The Way Life Goes, Neon Guts, X and How to Talk are dope. It goes without saying that XO is still the 🐐

Dereck

Today I realized that I do not have to listen to music because it is new.

So I downloaded like 8 albums last night and deleted like 5-6 of them because I didn't care and were probably a waste of time anyway.

I think it's safe to only check out stuff that I'm really interested in instead of listening to everything just so I can have an opinion on everything.

YMMV

Koozek

Today I realized that I do not have to listen to music because it is new.

So I downloaded like 8 albums last night and deleted like 5-6 of them because I didn't care and were probably a waste of time anyway.

I think it's safe to only check out stuff that I'm really interested in instead of listening to everything just so I can have an opinion on everything.

YMMV
Uhm, yeah, isn't that obvious though?^^ For the ones I wasn't really that interested in myself I would just wait to see if some others here recommended it.

Koozek

You would think, but for me personally, I have issues with wanting to hear everything and it gets the best of me.
I mean, yeah, often I check out all the new albums you guys talk about too out of curiosity (I get 90% of my music recs here), but I don't stress out about it too much and if it's someone I know and never liked I won't even bother until it's really recommended several times by folks here. It's not like it takes much effort nowadays to check out new music anyway. One click on Spotify.

Okay, tbf, sometimes I stress about the fact that I want to give most albums several listens over the course of a few days or weeks because I realized that some of my fave stuff that was posted here I only started to love after 2-3 listens, often even with a few months inbetween them (e.g. Future two years ago when DS2 was hyped up here, or Kekra that Moody repped etc.). I often keep the Spotify tabs open for a while to go back to albums later again.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Lil Uzi Vert's album is tied with Big Sean's album for worst of the year...seriously XO Tour Life was so good and then he makes garbage like this.

Icolin

Banned
You know, I'm indifferent to French, but I think he has one of the best flows right now. He can make almost anything sound wavy as hell.

Yeah, I'm definitely warming up to French. Couldn't stand Excuse my French and his earlier stuff, but his last few projects have been wavy. His ad lib game is also pretty strong.

HiiiLife

I don't think an album made me love an r&b singer as much as kaleidoscope dream and miguel.

Digging this single. Hopefully he keeps it up.
Can't believe it's been two years since wildheart

BrockHampton is Odd Future if they idolized Timbaland instead of Pharell.

It's eerie Tbh because I hear so much timbaland influenced beats and it definitely reminds me of how much pharell I use to hear in odd future

Bronx-Man

Banned
Listened to Villains & Saturation II so far, about to start LIR2 in a bit then War on Drugs after and hopefully Cozy Tapes 2 before the day is over.

I'm listening to ALL the music today, BITCH

HiiiLife

Queer is dope brehs. Dunno why but I get Outkast vibes when the hook kicks in.

Kendrick during that recent MTV interview saying DAMN was meant to be played backwards just confirms everyone's theories....4 months ago. #doublealbum #butweallknew

Catvoca

Banned
Feel like I got spoiled slightly on Sat 2 since I listened to the singles and those are the best tracks on the album by far (except Queer, which is one of their best). I like it but not as much as Sat 1. Only listened once though and the first was a grower so maybe that'll change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom