• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

mathematics backed new wu album? they shoulda done this 10 years ago lmao

its gonna be some wack verses over some dope production tho bless up

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Did you motherfuckers know that Danny Brown has a god damn cat named Chie, after fuckin Persona 4?????

I knew Danny fucked with video games but this just blew up my whole shit.

ejDbkMX.png

TronWayne

It's better than I expected, I listened to it on a whim and found myself enjoying a good portion of it. A lot of the songs are too short, but some of the production is nice. Especially Jocelyn Flores and Everybody Dies in their Nightmares. I only gave it a few spins so I can't really say if it's good yet. Plus I've been on a Lil Peep kick so this fits right in.

im listening now and yea jocelyn flores is nice but way too short

Fell in love but it ain't gon' last
Hydroplane like I ain't gon' crash
No frame with my face on glass
No rank when they check my class
Got a minute, got a second, got a day
Gotta get it, gotta find another way
I ain't trippin', I'm just feelin' what I say
I ain't talkin', I'm just spillin' from my brain

VDExsFB.gif

HiResDes

Just going to be popping in and giving some thoughts on albums here and there:

Elijah - Where The Light Meets:

I must say I don't normally listen to many albums that are this feel good and positive, maybe I need to though, but many of the concepts where definitely a bit alien to me. Had to come back to the EP with the right mindset.

Anyway, I think the production is mostly really refreshing, definitely love the grooviness of it all throughout. It's actually lives up to the disco tagline in a way, delivering this sort of uptempo soul but with enough space and sparseness that also never feels overwhelming or takes away from the vocals.

You definitely are on point with the melodies and I came away impressed with your singing. I do wish there was a bit more straightforward rapping, especially after hearing how well you can flow and getting a taste of that on Lust for Life. Also the chorus structure became a bit repetitive and predictable by the end.

As much as I like your voice I do feel like a couple of rapped or even rhythmically spoken word choruses would have helped keep things completely fresh. I really like when songs have this really natural transition from the verses to choruses. Maybe finding a way to incorporate less straightforward singing but rather that sort of hybrid style that pop singers when they go urban would actually be a nice addition.

I really like the little intro on Patience and the way that song unfolds. I think it gives the listener some much needed context for your songs, which seem to have these really strong positive mantras. Moreover, a lot of the songs have this sort of forward looking/goal oriented perspective, which is definitely a good thing but I think having a couple tracks that are just totally dedicated to lighthearted boasts and or humor would really make your sound more well rounded. Your songs sound so blissful, for example Sunset Blvd. that often I wish you'd go full twee.

Overall though I definitely enjoyed the groove. It's a really nice effort and I look forward to hearing what you put out next.

Hot takes so far:

A$AP Mob: Cozy Tapes Vol. 2: 2.5/10
- This Mob album is highly disappointing. There's no song that replicates the magic of "Telephone Calls" or even "Put That on My Set", and every song just sounds aggressively mediocre. No one on this project appears to be even trying to deliver something memorable, instead choosing to give mediocre wavy rap that might bang on a decent stereo system. The one exception might be "What Happens", which is a pretty decent posse cut with a surprise beat from the RZA. It's a purely NY song, consisting of nothing but flexing and advice. Aside from that, nothing here is even trying to be halfway decent, let alone memorable and this project fucking suffers from it. The only reason I'm giving a 2.5 is because a) the beats are alright and b) RAF & What Happens exist on this project. It's pathetic if your album has a 2/15 hit rate in terms of decent memorable songs.

HiResDes

17- Actually pretty successful, less screamo/pseudo hardcore than some of his mixtape tracks. It's really hard to hate on someone who seems to genuinely be outpouring so much emotion even when it does venture into cringe territory at times. He made a really good choice keeping everything so short and concise. He's more successful rapping over slow mellow beats, the contrast of these really melodical tracks with the subject matter keeps things interested, also his ability to genre hop into grunge/emo territory with the choral structure really adds quite a lot. Its definitely a tortured soul type of affair and as cheesy as his introduction sounded I think it does capture what you're going to get and who should probably stay away. This is that Vorheez type of shit.
Fav Tracks: Fuck Love (Trippie Redd, YES!), Revenge, Everybody Dies, Jocelyn Flores

Still Striving - Have no idea why people are hating on this, no idea what else you'd expect from a Ferg album other than nonsensical bangers which this delivers in spades. It's less concept heavy than Trap Lord, but it absolutely matches the ridiculous energy level of said album. Not sure if it's considered more of an album or mixtape, but the structure definitely is reminiscent of what you might expect from a DJ Mix. I love how the mantras of tracks run together from one to the next sometimes straight up interconnecting themes from one song to the next like the mention of Usain Bolt in the chorus on Rubber Band Man followed by Olympian or the way he flips the use of mattress from the Mattress Remix to the following song One Night Savage. It makes for such a great back to back when driving or lifting weights or partying, there's like these little pockets of the album that work so well together. Trap and a Dream sounds like it was made with Meek Mill in mind, it's tailor made for him, it fucking goes. Nandos is just hard, Ferg's flow on this actually kind of ridiculous. Of course there are some misses as well wasn't really feeling the Migos Track all that much with its grating chorus, and the chorus on Coach Carter is way too repetitive. However I don't know that the fuck most of ya'll were on about, this shit bangs, turn up your system to fucking 40 and if don't go to fucking 40 get a new system.
Fav Tracks: Nandos, Trap and a Dream (Dat Meek Mill Feature), Rubber Band Man (Dat Cam Feature), Mattress Remix, East Coast Remix

Icolin

Banned
So is Black Ken actually good

It's as good as you can expect a Lil B project to be; your enjoyment really depends on whether or not you've liked Lil B's previous stuff. If you've liked his previous material, I have very little doubts that you'll like Black Ken.

IMO, it's his best project since God's Father.

Lil Uzi : Pretty decent. I liked half of the tracks on it.

A$AP Mob : Trash. RAF and Blowin Minds are the only good songs

Daniel Caesar : Trash. Typical R&B

Saturation 2: Meh. Wasn't really feeling it

Ferg: Definitely has some bangers, but goes on for far too long.

I guess I'll attempt to listen to X's album.

Dereck

Despite how long it is it doesn't get worse or weaker as you go through the tracklist.

Danny Brown's verse sounds weird, Regular and Complex, Aperikkkan Pie and 222 are great.

TronWayne

They set the bar pretty high with Better Off Dead, hopefully they can match it with their next project. I didn't care for 3001 all that much, it was decent but a little disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom