• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(insert fancy logo here) someone want to make one?

The All new and improved Camera Equipment Megathread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165019

Quarterly threads from last year

GAF Photography Q4 2015
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128671

GAF Photography Q3 2015
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1074200

GAF Photography Q2 2015
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1029667

GAF Photography Q1 2015
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=964465

Photos from last thread posted in 2016

No new thread yet? I'll post here. Thailand continues to be impressive, hope I can do it justice with my images.

Long Neck Village Portraits by Eric, on Flickr

Chiang Rai Clock Tower by Eric, on Flickr

Really like this one, awesome job.

Have a few friends in Koh Tao right now, they seem to be having a lot of fun too.

DSC_7225 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_7020 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_7318 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
And here's this seagull...
DSC_6993 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

You guys should check out D-Nice's photography.

https://www.instagram.com/djdnice/

Testing my Monochrom... 35mm f2, ISO 10,000, 1/750th

20160102-m1007641lhr5v.jpg

A couple of pics from yesterday's shoot:

Lego Self Portrait by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
Photo I took while setting up some Legos for some more serious photos later. This is "me" in Lego form. I'm sure there are better faces/hairs to use but it's what I have and I think it vaguely represents me kind of well. :D

Also, Starscream:
He's always on Top by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
(Pretty lazy tbh)

I'll probably have some other, better ones later.

With some friends dragging up on New Year's Eve

Untitled by Bodie Strain, on Flickr

Untitled by Bodie Strain, on Flickr

Been chasing kingfishers around at the local park for a couple of weeks, didn't notice I had messed up the mask on this photo until I already uploaded it so I'll go back fix the tail feathers at some point.
23799051639_738ab75134_z.jpg

Those pictures look great, really like the lighting in the second one.

Drove all the way to Stockton to take some baby photos and then stopped in Dublin, CA to shoot the turbine fans.

FStop7

Banned
I'm in the SF bay area. The biggest problem is just lack of practice I guess. SF isn't exactly that close that I'd travel there frequently for people watching. However, wherever I'm traveling, I always find street photography fascinating whenever I'm not doing landscape. A few months ago I spent a few hours walking around in Vegas with a couple photogs. It was an eye opening experience seeing how they work on the street. Vegas is easier since, well, it is Vegas. But I still do a lot of shooting from my hip. Part of it is avoid being seen; the other part of it is hard to capture the candid expression one they notice me. Good SP seems to be able to swiftly capture the image either without being noticed or it's after the shot is taken.

Downtown San Francisco is one of the best places for street photography in the entire country. I'd go as far as to say the only city that's better for it is New York. I could shoot for years in SF and not get bored.

Yesterday in Hollywood

20160103-m1007954-2eaobf.jpg

20160103-m1007948-2vdr78.jpg

vern

More from Thailand - Street Performer Series and other randoms

Chiang Mai Busker Series by Eric, on Flickr

Untitled by Eric, on Flickr

Edit: Might as well throw this on here as well. I've been asked to document the first "western" opera performance in Nepal, though it's unpaid. Gonna need to make two trips there, first to document auditions and education and set designs, hiring of local artisans, etc. Later in the year I'll need to go back to photograph the actual opera production. To help offset the costs I set up an Indiegogo campaign. Please check it out, there are some pretty sweet perks on there if anyone wants some shots from a future opera in Nepal lol.

http://igg.me/at/ericg

More from Thailand - Street Performer Series and other randoms

Untitled by Eric, on Flickr

Edit: Might as well throw this on here as well. I've been asked to document the first "western" opera performance in Nepal, though it's unpaid. Gonna need to make two trips there, first to document auditions and education and set designs, hiring of local artisans, etc. Later in the year I'll need to go back to photograph the actual opera production. To help offset the costs I set up an Indiegogo campaign. Please check it out, there are some pretty sweet perks on there if anyone wants some shots from a future opera in Nepal lol.

http://igg.me/at/ericg
Damn Thailand is rife for photos. Where's trash kitty?

KalBalboa

Banned
Am I a fool for not bothering with Flickr? I don't want a Yahoo account and my Google Photo library backs up pretty damn nicely automatically from my desktop, laptop, and phone.

Embedding is a bit of a chore, though.

Am I a fool for not bothering with Flickr? I don't want a Yahoo account and my Google Photo library backs up pretty damn nicely automatically from my desktop, laptop, and phone.

Flickr is just a more robust network for sharing photos. You should use whatever you're most comfortable with.

I like Flickr because most of the time I see a photo I like, I can see what gear they used and exposure settings and whatnot. I use it as a learning resource as much as I use it as a place to enjoy photos.

KalBalboa

Banned
Flickr is just a more robust network for sharing photos. You should use whatever you're most comfortable with.

I like Flickr because most of the time I see a photo I like, I can see what gear they used and exposure settings and whatnot. I use it as a learning resource as much as I use it as a place to enjoy photos.

Google Photo does a great job with maintaining that kind of information too... but man is it a sucky platform for embedding and sharing.

To hell with it, I'll make a Yahoo account and post my favorites to it.

thespot84

Google Photo does a great job with maintaining that kind of information too... but man is it a sucky platform for embedding and sharing.

To hell with it, I'll make a Yahoo account and post my favorites to it.

I use both. When i plug my camera in it uploads everything to google photos (I have to convert to DNG first but that's not normal, just my old camera) I then have google photos sync with drive, so it downloads the photos to my drive. I have lightroom look in the drive folder to import new photos, which are automatically organized by year and date. I do my editing in lightroom, and then use the photostream plugin for flikr to share the few that I want to share. This lets me share whole albums with the GF, who also uses google photos, as well as see all my photos on my phone at any time without downloading them, and then I can use flikr for BBS sharing and the like.

Thailand has been great... so many cats though I don't know which one to post haha.
You went from one country with no stray problem to an area with a massive stray problem. Can't wait for your India pics where there's nothing but cows or Yaks or whatever those things are.

vern

You went from one country with no stray problem to an area with a massive stray problem. Can't wait for your India pics where there's nothing but cows or Yaks or whatever those things are.

Think I'm not going to India just yet. Need to head back to China first... Maybe in a few months. Who knows. Gotta do this Nepal project too, super excited for it.

Think I'm not going to India just yet. Need to head back to China first... Maybe in a few months. Who knows. Gotta do this Nepal project too, super excited for it.
Yeah that sounds fun. My next photography project will be covering a gaming get together for this NYC based indie gaming company. I don't think it's for pay but it seems fun.

These are nice. I was like "what the fuck is that focal length? 20?" while looking at these, I clicked on them to discover it's 23mm, I'm getting pretty good.

Technically 35mm after the crop factor :D I only have a few lenses, but this is pretty much the only one and bring with me unless I'm shooting cars or something specific.

snaffles

It's been raining all day here so this is about as exciting as it got for me.

I'm so lazy with editing, finally did some more.

Kamo River by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr
These were all great, I really like this one, nice lines.

Nothing really special, but gotta post so I can try and stay in the habit.

Curiosity in the Window by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

There's others on Flickr, but I don't think they are really worth posting here.
These were cool too, like the bear, looks very ominous.

Sup y'all, it's been a while. I've finally decided to sit down and scan over my old rolls of film. I'm still learning, but getting a better handle of it, I'm also thinking into getting more into photoshop. Lightroom is starting to feel limited.

R35#23023.jpg by Jose Herrera, on Flickr

R35#23022.jpg by Jose Herrera, on Flickr

R35#23005.jpg by Jose Herrera, on Flickr

R35#23015.jpg by Jose Herrera, on Flickr

R35#23032.jpg by Jose Herrera, on Flickr

R35#23028.jpg by Jose Herrera, on Flickr

BW#3030.jpg by Jose Herrera, on Flickr

BW#4031.jpg by Jose Herrera, on Flickr

And this is an old dirty scan but I've always liked the chemical mark on it.

BW#4027.jpg by Jose Herrera, on Flickr

Mr. Hyde

Hey hey, neogaf. I hope everyone is out shooting or learning new things for upcoming shoots. I've made it a goal to either shoot every day or at least spend a nice amount of time studying new ideas to incorporate into my next concepts. Here are a few photos I've shot/edited since January 1st.

Feral by Tony F, on Flickr

The Garden Keeper by Tony F, on Flickr

Sara by Tony F, on Flickr

At the moment, I am just attempting new lighting and editing techniques while studying classical photo composition ideas. I want to continue drilling things into my head to utilize each time I go out shooting. Once I am fully comfortable, I will manipulate them to my own liking. :) My main goal at the moment is to be more communicative with models. I've been shooting mostly friends but I have a few upcoming shoots with people I barely know, so I want to be ready.

I hope everyone is having a good new year so far!

Hey hey, neogaf. I hope everyone is out shooting or learning new things for upcoming shoots. I've made it a goal to either shoot every day or at least spend a nice amount of time studying new ideas to incorporate into my next concepts. Here are a few photos I've shot/edited since January 1st.

Feral by Tony F, on Flickr

At the moment, I am just attempting new lighting and editing techniques while studying classical photo composition ideas. I want to continue drilling things into my head to utilize each time I go out shooting. Once I am fully comfortable, I will manipulate them to my own liking. :) My main goal at the moment is to be more communicative with models. I've been shooting mostly friends but I have a few upcoming shoots with people I barely know, so I want to be ready.

I hope everyone is having a good new year so far!
I like this one the most. I really do need to learn some more about composition. Directing people is a definite weak point that I need to address as well. I'm going to assume there are some videos about it, but I think I'm either a bit too reserved to tell people how to pose or just afraid I'd make them look stupid.

Mr. Hyde

Sup y'all, it's been a while. I've finally decided to sit down and scan over my old rolls of film. I'm still learning, but getting a better handle of it, I'm also thinking into getting more into photoshop. Lightroom is starting to feel limited.

Nice shots! I want to either pick up or get my father's old canon film camera to take with me for personal photos when I am out. Lightroom is always a great tool for starting out but photoshop is where I refine and do all my grunt work for portraits. I use lightroom for all the basics of bringing highlights and shadows to where I want them and then basic tone and curves. Afterwards, I throw them into photoshop.

Nice shots! I want to either pick up or get my father's old canon film camera to take with me for personal photos when I am out. Lightroom is always a great tool for starting out but photoshop is where I refine and do all my grunt work for portraits. I use lightroom for all the basics of bringing highlights and shadows to where I want them and then basic tone and curves. Afterwards, I throw them into photoshop.
That's what I should do more actually. Some aspects of photoshop I don't even know about yet. I think when I start getting really selective I'll just run 3 or 4 images through photoshop to clean them up a lot. Don't have time to be dealing with 20 plus images.

Mr. Hyde

I like this one the most. I really do need to learn some more about composition. Directing people is a definite weak point that I need to address as well. I'm going to assume there are some videos about it, but I think I'm either a bit too reserved to tell people how to pose or just afraid I'd make them look stupid.

Thanks! I did that one with one flash on a stand directly on the side of me to just hit one side of my face. I do a lot of self portraits for practice despite not really liking myself in front of the camera.

Yeah. I still am not fully confident on what poses look the best so I do watch a lot of videos and then make my wife pose for me using ideas I learn. She is the one in the other two photos. She did tell me that I seem more confident and communicative on that shoot, so hopefully I can keep that going when I do a photo session with a model this Sunday.

Mr. Hyde

That's what I should do more actually. Some aspects of photoshop I don't even know about yet. I think when I start getting really selective I'll just run 3 or 4 images through photoshop to clean them up a lot. Don't have time to be dealing with 20 plus images.

Yeah. Most photographers who do portrait work shoot up to 800 images but cull them down to 4-10 max. You have to be selective or you'll sit there forever instead of doing what we love to do best, shooting more photos.

Thanks! I did that one with one flash on a stand directly on the side of me to just hit one side of my face. I do a lot of self portraits for practice despite not really liking myself in front of the camera.

Yeah. I still am not fully confident on what poses look the best so I do watch a lot of videos and then make my wife pose for me using ideas I learn. She is the one in the other two photos. She did tell me that I seem more confident and communicative on that shoot, so hopefully I can keep that going when I do a photo session with a model this Sunday.
I need some flash stands damn. I always just keep it on my camera but I keep forgetting there are ways to use it by putting it around the room. That's something I should practice and read up on.
Yeah. Most photographers who do portrait work shoot up to 800 images but cull them down to 4-10 max. You have to be selective or you'll sit there forever instead of doing what we love to do best, shooting more photos.
I'm assuming it's probably best to start culling stuff a day or two after the shoot? I usually just process and edit stuff right after I'm done. I'm probably just too caught up from the high of the shoot afterwards to make any kind of rational decision regarding what to use and what not to use.

Mr. Hyde

I need some flash stands damn. I always just keep it on my camera but I keep forgetting there are ways to use it by putting it around the room. That's something I should practice and read up on.

Off camera flash will teach you a lot. I bought a pair of PBL light stands on amazon for 70ish and they have done me good. They are spring cushioned and haven't failed me yet. I also have two others that came in a set but they are used mostly for my backdrop.

Koriandrr

I got my second flash and am experimenting around with light for the first time. Super exciting times. Only working in small scale for now on my figures, but I booked a shoot with a model for next weekend. So hyped!

Any tips are welcome! My only concern is that we'll be shooting indoors in a small space, as it's too cold to go outside for the kind of shoot we'll be doing, don't want the model to freeze to death.

Off camera flash will teach you a lot. I bought a pair of PBL light stands on amazon for 70ish and they have done me good. They are spring cushioned and haven't failed me yet. I also have two others that came in a set but they are used mostly for my backdrop.
Yeah that sounds like it's worth an investment. I'm still at a point where I can't see myself needing lighting gear, but I really would need it and have a use for it if I got more busy with my portrait work. Just checked out the lens you're using and I definitely do want an 85mm for my outside shoots. How far do you have to stand away from the subject on a crop sensor to get those shots?

Mr. Hyde

I'm assuming it's probably best to start culling stuff a day or two after the shoot? I usually just process and edit stuff right after I'm done. I'm probably just too caught up from the high of the shoot afterwards to make any kind of rational decision regarding what to use and what not to use.

I usually do it the next day depending on how busy I am. I don't edit them all at once, though. I am trying to get more detailed with my editing so it takes up to an hour for a photo. That is mostly due to trying to figure out a good workflow of techniques. I just now started using and figuring out dodging and burning.

I am getting more comfortable now so I hope to cut the editing in half in the next week or so. I also use a wacom tablet for editing which is cutting down my time as well due to finally getting comfortable using it.

Mr. Hyde

Yeah that sounds like it's worth an investment. I'm still at a point where I can't see myself needing lighting gear, but I really would need it and have a use for it if I got more busy with my portrait work. Just checked out the lens you're using and I definitely do want an 85mm for my outside shoots. How far do you have to stand away from the subject on a crop sensor to get those shots?

An 85mm lens on a crop is around 130mm so I have to step back a bit but I am still in a comfortable range where I can easily communicate with my subject. I know a lot of portrait photographers like to use an 85 range (50ish on a crop sensor) but I love the quality of my 85mm so much that I use it far more than my 50mm 1.8. I need to either invest in a used/refurbished full frame camera or buy a better 50mm lens because I do like the distance of a 50mm on a crop.

Mr. Hyde

I got my second flash and am experimenting around with light for the first time. Super exciting times. Only working in small scale for now on my figures, but I booked a shoot with a model for next weekend. So hyped!

Any tips are welcome! My only concern is that we'll be shooting indoors in a small space, as it's too cold to go outside for the kind of shoot we'll be doing, don't want the model to freeze to death.

Nice! I've been practicing with two flashes inside recently. I want a third but I have other things to invest in first, so I am just going to master using two.

I am supposed to do a shoot Sunday using my gels and also double exposures. I am not sure if I can pull off the concept my model wants to do but I am going to spend tomorrow figuring it out to the best of my ability.

An 85mm lens on a crop is around 130mm so I have to step back a bit but I am still in a comfortable range where I can easily communicate with my subject. I know a lot of portrait photographers like to use an 85 range (50ish on a crop sensor) but I love the quality of my 85mm so much that I use it far more than my 50mm 1.8. I need to either invest in a used/refurbished full frame camera or buy a better 50mm lens because I do like the distance of a 50mm on a crop.
Yeah the 50mm on my crop has been my workhorse lens but there are times where I just don't want to or can't be all up my subject as well. I also want to get a better 50mm lens as well, but I have what I have. I'm mostly concerned with getting a better wide angle lens cause I honestly just don't trust my kit lenses since I've rarely liked anything that has come out of them.

A few pics i've been taking :
I love your pics could you post some more info on how they were taken/edited?
I'd also like to know. What were these taken with?

R35#23015.jpg by Jose Herrera, on Flickr
I've never actually seen the Laytonville toilet up close.

Koriandrr

Nice! I've been practicing with two flashes inside recently. I want a third but I have other things to invest in first, so I am just going to master using two.

I am supposed to do a shoot Sunday using my gels and also double exposures. I am not sure if I can pull off the concept my model wants to do but I am going to spend tomorrow figuring it out to the best of my ability.

Ooohh! That sounds very interesting! Would love to see the result and how you do it!
Good luck :)

How do you find the free time to practice? My time is pretty much taken up by my day job and leaves me half dead when I get home. Weekend? Girlfriend eats up my time.

Koriandrr

How do you find the free time to practice? My time is pretty much taken up by my day job and leaves me half dead when I get home. Weekend? Girlfriend eats up my time.

I take photos after work. I actually find it relaxing and soothing after work, especially after a stressful day. Just take out my figures, do some lighting and by the time i get the shot that makes me happy it's almost bed time, but when I do get it I go to bed with a smile on my face :D

I also take photos with my bf more often than not, over weekends. We would switch taking photos and I would force him to hold my lights and reflector :D

I take photos after work. I actually find it relaxing and soothing after work, especially after a stressful day. Just take out my figures, do some lighting and by the time i get the shot that makes me happy it's almost bed time, but when I do get it I go to bed with a smile on my face :D

I also take photos with my bf more often than not, over weekends. We would switch taking photos and I would force him to hold my lights and reflector :D
For the most part I try not to get my GF involved. The only time I had her get involved was when she needed portraits done and I volunteered to do them instead of her going to Sears. I just couldn't allow her to waste the money. I used to take pictures after work. This cold weather is just killing my motivation. I need to get some good gloves that would allow me to work the camera efficiently cause I almost froze my fingers off during my last outside shoot.

Mr. Hyde

Mostly out of necessity now. I work for Whole Foods in the customer service department and it drives me insane and not really what I want to do full time for the rest of my life, so I just work on finding the time in between weird work hours. If it's dark out when I am off work, I work on flash photography. If I am on a closing shift, I get up early enough to go out shooting before work and then edit the next day. I also have begun disciplining myself to get up early enough to have a full day of figuring out photo ideas or practicing new methods. I also find good exercise programs (ddp yoga and you are your own gym) to do now because it gives me more energy to keep moving after a long day at work. My wife is an artist and loves to either help me with photo ideas or be my assistant when I am not using her for practice. The wacom tablet I use to edit is hers because she doesn't enjoy digital art much after doing it all day at her job. I stole it for myself.

I am rambling. It's just about finding every available minute to do something you love despite exhaustion or a busy day.

I am making this year about refining every thing I have been doing to push myself further on shooting, communicating, marketing, and other things. Time management is tough but it is super important. I even gave up gaming until Persona 5 comes out.

Mostly out of necessity now. I work for Whole Foods in the customer service department and it drives me insane and not really what I want to do full time for the rest of my life, so I just work on finding the time in between weird work hours. If it's dark out when I am off work, I work on flash photography. If I am on a closing shift, I get up early enough to go out shooting before work and then edit the next day. I also have begun disciplining myself to get up early enough to have a full day of figuring out photo ideas or practicing new methods. I also find good exercise programs (ddp yoga and you are your own gym) to do now because it gives me more energy to keep moving after a long day at work. My wife is an artist and loves to either help me with photo ideas or be my assistant when I am not using her for practice. The wacom tablet I use to edit is hers because she doesn't enjoy digital art much after doing it all day at her job. I stole it for myself.

I am rambling. It's just about finding every available minute to do something you love despite exhaustion or a busy day.

I am making this year about refining every thing I have been doing to push myself further on shooting, communicating, marketing, and other things. Time management is tough but it is super important.
Yeah that's my problem. I'm split between a good amount of loves so finding time for all of them is a damn hassle. Cold weather is killing my shooting buzz, but I still enjoy it, I think I just need that extra push to get me to shoot more, though what I do need to do is learn some new techniques regarding composition and flash lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom