• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays Yakuza 5 (PS3)!

Tizoc

OK3KFAG.jpg
What you MUST know when playing Yakuza 5 on your PS3
Make sure you have 50-60 GB free on your PS3. Remember the PS3 downloads the full game size but requires the SAME game’s size free on your system to properly install it.
This being the 5th game in the series, some might be concerned about the plot. What I can say is, that you’ll be spending so much time with the gameplay stuff that the story or plot won’t matter much. As such go in for the gameplay and you will be more than rewarded.

The game will be available as a PS Plus Freebie on Aug. 2nd for both EU and US PSN
If you had Yakuza 5 already but hadn't started or finished it yet, feel free to join and share your experience!

What to expect from the Yakuza series' gameplay
The Yakuza series are an RPG series with brawler-style/beat'em-up combat and a Stylish Action game with RPG elements.
The games primarly take place in Kamuro-cho and various cities in Japan. The cities function as a sort of hub, from which you can access shops and minigames.
As is common in Japan, walking around town attracts the attention of thugs who would beat the shit out of you just for not wearing their fav. brand of cologne.
Defeating enemies and/or completing missions earns you EXP to level up and get stronger and learn more combat abilities.
There are other stuff you can buy or do to earn small EXP rewards, along with items and weapons.

With Yakuza 5, keep in mind that it will start somewhat slow, but once it opens up, you may find yourself having spent 10 or even up to 20+ on the very first chapter alone (the one that focuses on Kiryu).
Don’t be surprised by this, the game just has that much fun stuff to do in it, from beating the living crap out of street thugs, to playing pool and billiard, bowling, batting center, Singing Karaoke with cute hostesses, fishing, cheating in Mahjong, trying to finish Virtua Fighter 2 with all characters to actually ENJOYING the Japanese Taxi Driver Simulator the first chapter utilizes.

That last part is subjective, some like it, others don’t, but if you manage to get a hang of it, you’ll be doing it simply for the dialog Kiryu and his customer has while driving them to their location.
Now you may think that Taxi Driving is dull, that’s fine, I didn’t care for some of the Taxi stuff myself, although you CAN customize the paint and decal of your Taxi vehicle, as well as upgrade it into a racing car. That’s right, you can actually tune up your generic Japanese Taxi vehicle with racing car parts. That’s just how awesome this game is.

FURTHERMORE, and despite being more simplistic than its predecessors of the concept in question, the game also features a ‘Free Drive’ option, where you get in your Taxi and just drive around the main highway circuit. This is unlocked after a few more Taxi missions, and while at first it may not seem appealing…
Well let me put it like this.
You’re playing the Free Drive mode; you’re on the highway, with your pimped out Taxi Card promoting your favourite Idol.

Now close your eyes.
Open the following, with your eyes closed and ENVISION, driving through the highway with that theme blasting from your high end sound system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_zAxPqKa8Y
Yes
That is how awesome this game, and this franchise, that you neglected the whole time you had a PS3, is.

As for the rest of the game, well it’ll have its fair share of Japanese wackiness, cocky thug head busting and the dozen or so mini games and side stories that you’ll put hours and hours into.

Feel free to use Spoiler Tags if you want to discuss the story, but putting it simply, if you want a game that has lots of actual GAMEPLAY content you can go back to and play over and over, this is the game to go for.
…and you can expect Yakuza 0 to also have this level of content you can do in-game, plus a Photo Mode!
That’s what makes this franchise so fun and loved; it gives you so many mundane and simple side content that they’re fun to play and go back to from time to time, be it to take a break from the main game or just to pass the time with a simple minigame, or just to blast ROOOOOOOOJ UV LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHV all day long.

Okay hold on I gotta finish my replay of 4. Literally on the last chapter, so I'll be moving on to 5 without partaking in the side missions.

5taquitos

I keep meaning to play Yakuza 5, I picked it up when it launched here.

But I can't use a DS3 anymore. Seriously, they feel small and terrible since moving to the DS4.

I know I could plug a DS4 into the PS3, but then it won't rumble.

SephLuis

so if I get a month of PS plus I will have this game forever?

You will have it on your download list forever, but you can only play while you are subscribed to PS+. So you will have a month to finish the game.

I keep meaning to play Yakuza 5, I picked it up when it launched here.

But I can't use a DS3 anymore. Seriously, they feel small and terrible since moving to the DS4.

I know I could plug a DS4 into the PS3, but then it won't rumble.

Go. Play. It.

Tizoc

so if I get a month of PS plus I will have this game forever?

It is 'free' for as long as you are a ps plus member. So if you are a member for one month only, you can play it, as a plus freebie for one month only until you resub to plus.

Wonko_C

I had to unwillingly get rid of my PS3 last year and I was sad I didn't get to play this game. Things are turning out for the better since I got a PS4 and I just subscribed to PS Plus for a year. My cousin got himself a PS3 so I'll borrow his console and finally play this beauty.

SephLuis

Well with the other thread talking about Sega wanting to remaster all the games for PS4, maybe I'll just chalk this up as supporting my favorite brand and wait it out :p

No, let me repeat it. Go. Play. It.

By the time Sega decides to remaster/remake Y5 and localize it on the PS5, you will be wanting to play it on PS6

I bought Yakuza 5 ages back but have yet to play it, I finished 4 (which I adored) and jumped straight into Dead Souls, but never really got anywhere on that. Might just ditch it and start on 5.

kooplar

They gave out Yakuza 4 for ps+ a while back right? If I'm only going to play one Yakuza game this year, should I play 4 or 5?

Tizoc

They gave out Yakuza 4 for ps+ a while back right? If I'm only going to play one Yakuza game this year, should I play 4 or 5?

I would recommend Yakuza 4.
Both are good from a gameplay standpoint but 4 is a decent starting point.

D-Man

I can't wait to play this. I preordered Yakuza 0 thinking that it would be my first, but I can't say no to playing this for free! I've been dying to get into this series since it looks right up my alley. I hope I like it as much as I think I will.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

4 is by far the better introduction to the franchise, and the better game, and playing it will help you appreciate 5 more anyway. So please play 4 first, even if that means never playing 5.

Edgeward

Finished it earlier this year. Just a great game. The final battle sequence is one of the more batshit crazy battles in the series.

The series loves it's twist and this one goes further and more often so don't expect things to make perfect sense with how much characters switch sides. Even series vets are confused too :p

KiraXD

The DS4 has other issues with Y5 as well. The driving sections for example do not work properly with the controller. The DS3 is fine to me though, I don't really mind it.

Shit... My ds3 is dead... Will i be able to finish those sections with a ds4, or do i need to go buy a ds3?

Great idea OP!

Finished it when it was released and absolutely loved my time with it (just like other titles in the series). Also loved the ultimate challenges although, they weren't really that hard (I remember being more stuck on the ones from Yakuza 4).

Maybe I take this opportunity to finish the side quests that I have left. I'm yet to finish the
Hunting
and
Baseball
activities as well, so I think I still have a lot to look forward to.

Fat4all

Banned
4 > 5, easily

/edit/ 5 has some very strong moments but the pacing is much worse IMO

I'd agree with that, I think it has mostly to do with the build up to 4's ending (which is amazing).

I love a lot of the side stories in 5 a bit more than the ones in 4, though.

Yakuza 5's story is pretty bad, all things considered, and the pacing sucks balls. Too bad, since I did like the individual stories, but the way it all came together was terrible, and most characters exist simply as plot devices for fake drama. Don't even get me started on the final antagonist, load of fucking shit. Which, again, is unfortunate, since the actual fight is the best final boss battle in the series.

Really looking forward to this. hoping this will be a favored august game for me as Resonance of Fate and Gravity Rush became some of my most enjoyed playhtroughs for when I played them Aug 13' and 14'. They were just a great way to cap off the summer and epitomized the feeling of Augusta and summers end. It's been some time since Y4 but that was damn good. I'm excited to do side quests and Haruka missions. I'm just excited to do something besides the combat honestly.

Yakuza 5 was great. The only real low point is Saejima. I like him as a character but from gameplay standpoint boring. Never liked characters who play like a slug. The new character sawamura was not that great either didn't really like his moveset.

Backflip

I've gotten the Platinum Trophy on Yakuza 3, 4, and Dead Souls but I'm not sure I'll be able to do it on Yakuza 5. I'm 160 hours in and I'm having a hard time on some of the mini-games (golf, Taiko no Tatsujin). Love the game though.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
btw I am sorry that I appear so negative about this game, in truth it is better than Yakuza 3 and about on the same level as Yakuza 1 for me, although I think I like 1 more. It is a terrific game and everyone who has an opportunity to play it should have a blast with it. I'm truly grateful that SEGA eventually brought the game to the West, and it has a lovely opening sequence.

Top Bottom