• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays Yakuza 5 (PS3)!

Tizoc

btw I am sorry that I appear so negative about this game, in truth it is better than Yakuza 3 and about on the same level as Yakuza 1 for me, although I think I like 1 more. It is a terrific game and everyone who has an opportunity to play it should have a blast with it. I'm truly grateful that SEGA eventually brought the game to the West, and it has a lovely opening sequence.

It's cool, if you read my OP you'll see I suggest to focus on the gameplay more than the plot.
At the end of the day that is what matters with the Yakuza games ;)

Tizoc

I'm just starting Yakuza 4, took about an hour to watch all the recaps.

The beginning of Akiyama's Part has some lengthy cutscenes too, but once you start getting into the meat of the gameplay you'll get your time's worth. Feel free to spend time doing all the side stories, mini games etc.

Aki-at

I really liked Yakuza 4's story, how is it compared to the fifth one?

I didn't like either stories much as I felt they both relied on the same plot point
like the rubber bullets in Yakuza 4
that came off as very bad writing to me. However both still have excellent character interactions and some good tension in them but the high point of the series narrative really end with Yakuza 2 I felt and moved more towards human drama.

Still the final chapter with its action and fights is brilliant. Topped any Yakuza game for me.

Aenima

I really liked Yakuza 4's story, how is it compared to the fifth one?

The story of 5 is probably the only week point of the game. Yakuza 4 does a great job with his story and introducing all the new characters in a nice way. But Yakuza 5 is a bigger game with alot stuff to do, so i enjoyed more 5 for the gameplay part, and 4 for the story part.

But i love all Yakuza games :p

painey

It is 'free' for as long as you are a ps plus member. So if you are a member for one month only, you can play it, as a plus freebie for one month only until you resub to plus.

Thanks. I mean, $40 for a year of PS plus is a good deal I guess for this, even if I don't keep my PS3 that much longer

Mbrill82

I started playing part 4 a few weeks ago, I only played about an hour total.
Now I'm thinking I want to jump straight to Yakuza 5 and finish 4 some other time.
This should be fine right? I mean, story-wise it's not like I knew what happened in parts 1-3 anyway.

Now I'm thinking I want to jump straight to Yakuza 5 and finish 4 some other time.
This should be fine right? I mean, story-wise it's not like I knew what happened in parts 1-3 anyway.

There are reminisce functions in the game that recap the story in the previous games. It's a long watch but worth it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
please finish 4 before playing 5. 4 is pretty much a clean slate for the series and 5 builds off of characters introduced in 4. And 4 is a better game anyway.
There are reminisce functions in the game that recap the story in the previous games. It's a long watch but worth it.

There is no recap in 5

ZangBa

I've only played Yakuza 3 and liked it. I want to play 5, but I don't really like having to use multiple characters, I just want to stick with one. Do skills transfer over or anything like that, or is everyone a blank slate?

oneida

I've only played Yakuza 3 and liked it. I want to play 5, but I don't really like having to use multiple characters, I just want to stick with one. Do skills transfer over or anything like that, or is everyone a blank slate?

At the end of every Part, when you switch characters, they are a blank slate, level 1, with only their base skills unlocked.

Wonko_C

I just got done with the Saejima part. I don't know if it's because I'm in a rush to finish the game (to return the PS3 to my cousin) but I wanted it to be over and it felt incredibly long. Haruka on the other part looks really fun. I am tempted to take it slow in fear of it being short.

RAIDEN1

One important question I have ahead of downloading the monster size of a game this is, is it better than Sleeping Dogs?

I say that as Sleeping Dogs is the only GTA-style like game that I have ever completed or got me "hooked" (I could never get round to completing any GTA games I've played in the past)

Vindicator

Finished it Tuesday, truly great game, enjoyed 4 as well.
There was some wtf moment when chapter 3 started, didn't expect that...

Tron999

I put 71 hours into this game. I loved it so much. I really really like the new character they added, the baseball player.

mike6467

This is a chill out game for me. I still need to finish it though...I've spent over 100 hours and I'm not done. In fact I'm at the end of Akiyama's arc I think. I definitely burnt out on it when it first came out, but I still love to just go in, run around and do all the side stuff, amazing atmosphere all around.

SephLuis

I just got done with the Saejima part. I don't know if it's because I'm in a rush to finish the game (to return the PS3 to my cousin) but I wanted it to be over and it felt incredibly long. Haruka on the other part looks really fun. I am tempted to take it slow in fear of it being short.

I recommend that you don't rush it. If you want to be over with the main story then it's gonna take you around 20 hours, maybe less. But you will lose a lot of the best things of the game, especially the another life scenarios.

One important question I have ahead of downloading the monster size of a game this is, is it better than Sleeping Dogs?

I say that as Sleeping Dogs is the only GTA-style like game that I have ever completed or got me "hooked" (I could never get round to completing any GTA games I've played in the past)

This game isn't like GTA at all so it's better that you play it and see for yourself.

Yakuza is like if Sleeping Dogs only had hand to hand combat (with much more options) and much smaller cities with tons of optional content. There are no cars to use and guns are more like special equipment in a fight.

I'm mad Haruka's section is towards the end, as it's the one I was most looking forward too.

Question though, do I have to complete a characters specific side missions during their chapter? For example in chap 1 if I don't complete the taxi missions are they done for the rest of the game.

Tainted

I have to be honest, I'm not feeling it so far. Granted I have only got through what you would say the tutorial bits (I have just finished that night out with the boss, had a few fights and came home for the night)....so I am in no way giving up on it, but it hasn't exactly hooked me from the start. I guess those long drawn out cutscenes broke the pacing a bit for me.

mike6467

I have to be honest, I'm not feeling it so far. Granted I have only got through what you would say the tutorial bits (I have just finished that night out with the boss, had a few fights and came home for the night)....so I am in no way giving up on it, but it hasn't exactly hooked me from the start. I guess those long drawn out cutscenes broke the pacing a bit for me.

Pacing is not the game's strong suit. Don't ever be afraid to ignore a seemingly major quest marker to go bowling or karaoke or side mission if that's what you feel like doing. They may make it sound like you better get somewhere NOW, but I don't think there's ever a point in the game where you're penalized for putting it off for a few hours...days...weeks..etc.

The game is heavily segmented between long main story sequences with tons of cutscenes/boss fights, etc, and just messing around doing side missions/mini games. If you start a main mission, you're probably looking at more of the cutscenes, so consider that accordingly. I really enjoyed the story, but the pacing of it when combined with all the side content is awkward at best.

Cess007

I'm mad Haruka's section is towards the end, as it's the one I was most looking forward too.

Question though, do I have to complete a characters specific side missions during their chapter? For example in chap 1 if I don't complete the taxi missions are they done for the rest of the game.

AFAIK, eventually you are able to switch characters and be able to g and complete all the side missions you didn't finished back then

Zambatoh

Honestly this coming out on Plus just reminds me I need to actually finish the game. I bought it back in February but I'm only just now getting back into it.

I'm currently on Akiyama's story arc. Just after
Akiyama shows the business end of his shoes to Ogita and the mysteriously giant man with the nice suit.

Wonko_C

It has much more in common with the Action-RPG genre than with the sandbox genre. I think of it as a modernized River City Ransom.

Can't believe Yakuza 0 comes out in January, seems so soon, especially considering how far behind we are in the west.

Don't want to derail the thread as I'm playing 5 now, but I've heard 0 is better? Thoughts?

oneida

Can't believe Yakuza 0 comes out in January, seems so soon, especially considering how far behind we are in the west.

Don't want to derail the thread as I'm playing 5 now, but I've heard 0 is better? Thoughts?
probably true that 0 is better than 5.

The mere fact that Goro Majima is a playable character automatically makes it a better game.

SephLuis

Yeah, 0 is much better. The got the pacing right in Y0 with the two protagonists.

The battle system is also great, so you have multiple styles to fights instead of one per character.

My only issue with Y0 is that it's grindy. You either have to do a side story that gives you tons of money or you're probably gonna be weak. Even getting the best skills require some serious cash (as it's used for everything including buying skills).

Man, these damn side games are distracting the hell outta me. First it was Kiryu's taxi now it's Saejima's hunting. Will I ever reach the next character?!

Just started Haruka's chapter, this is what I was waiting for. Rhythm idol game! It's a perfect distraction from the heaviness that's the main story, though I don't think it'll stay this way for long.

Permanently A

Just started Haruka's chapter, this is what I was waiting for. Rhythm idol game! It's a perfect distraction from the heaviness that's the main story, though I don't think it'll stay this way for long.

I'm having a tough time slogging through it. Its like I was watching Sopranos and then someone changed the channel to America's Got Talent. I want to go back.

Mooreberg

I am twenty hours in, just finished Chapter 2. I did the whole damn
Yama-Oroshi
thing. By far the longest, and weirdest, side mission I have ever played in a game. And without knowing what the result would be ahead of time, probably the most time I've put into activities that amount to a Bronze Trophy.

It is pretty obvious at this point that going through the campaign is going to be at least twice as long as the usual 25 hours it takes me for one of these games, if only because I'm putting off less of the side missions for post game. Some of the new stuff is genuinely batshit crazy. The taxi stuff, everything in the mountain village, people sliding down a sidewalk like penguins while you deliver ramen (to a guy that couldn't be bothered to walk twenty feet to the injured deliveryman), and Snowball Deathmatch are the sort of things that only the people who make these games could come up with. At this point, I'm not going to be surprised when something finally makes me laugh harder than the diaper fetishists from Yakuza 2.

On top of the insanity and bizarre side mission mechanics, the story is really great so far, and the core game play has never been better. I had everything maxed out for Kiriyu at the end of chapter 1, and nearly accomplished the same for Saejima in chapter 2 (I'm guessing these ability caps go up in later chapters). Heat moves are still fun as hell, the essence shockwave move can send half a dozen enemies flying at once, and they finally gave a reason to visit to eateries when your health is full. Other than the inexplicable invisible barriers on streets between accessible areas of Tsukimino, the new locations are very well done. Looking forward to seeing what Sotenbori looks like in this decade.

Mazre

Finally got around to finishing off Yakuza 4 (my first Yakuza experience, set it down at some point in Kiryu's chapter and never got back to it.)

Fired up Yakuza 5 this weekend and just staring on chapter 2 now. All the taxi bits in Ch 1 were surprisingly enjoyable, though the races were way too easy. End of chapter 1 was absolutely nuts, Kiryu truly is a monster.

End of chapter 1 spoilers:
Majima can't be dead can he? This has gotta be a ruse of some kind..

Wonko_C

Finally got around to finishing off Yakuza 4 (my first Yakuza experience, set it down at some point in Kiryu's chapter and never got back to it.)

Fired up Yakuza 5 this weekend and just staring on chapter 2 now. All the taxi bits in Ch 1 were surprisingly enjoyable, though the races were way too easy. End of chapter 1 was absolutely nuts, Kiryu truly is a monster.

My hypothesis:
I don't think he's dead. He's such a major character that he wouldn't be killed off in such an unceremonious fashion: Just a mention of his death in the news? That's it? If he really was killed we would've got an elaborate tear-jerker cutscene about it.

Zambatoh

My hypothesis:
I don't think he's dead. He's such a major character that he wouldn't be killed off in such an unceremonious fashion: Just a mention of his death in the news? That's it? If he really was killed we would've got an elaborate tear-jerker cutscene about it.

End game spoilers:
It's a little complicated but...
he's not quite dead. The villain needed everyone to think he is so everyone would show up in Kamuro to be publicly executed.

Mazre

Chapter 3 First half end, that got dark in a hurry
though in hindsight they were throwing up death flags all over the place.

Top Bottom