• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Cheech

You will become way more aerobically fit, so don't worry about that. I had stomach issues when I started back as well and I found that I had to limit my eating to four hours before the run like you, and I had to make sure I drank more water during the day before the run. That seemed to clear my issues up. As far as running shoes, I would go to a specialty running store and have them look at your stride so they can get you in a pair of shoes that fit your running style.

Yeah, this is why my AM schedule is:

5:30a - wake up, sit on the can, put on clothes
6a - run

If i have a 5k or something, I will stay up a bit later the night before, and then wake up and go on an empty stomach. One of the dumber things I did was eat a banana before a 5k once. Don't do that. Just drink water, and don't be like the assholes who eat a Gu packet before a 5k. I would never laugh at somebody for being at a 5k and getting/staying healthy, but I still laugh on the inside when I see that.

This weekend I'm participating in my second 5k race. It's organised by a clothes detergent (MAS Color). There is no special prize for the winner, it's more about them throwing coloured powder at your white top to see how it ends up once the event has finished.

Here is a video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pe3PltSMFho

Those always looked like fun. I'm doing a Color Run with my wife and son this summer. It's not something I'd do myself (it looks mostly female-oriented), but it's a nice change of pace. The Mud Runs look REALLY fun, but I'm afraid of injury.

Necrovex

Yeah, this is why my AM schedule is:

5:30a - wake up, sit on the can, put on clothes
6a - run

It's quite difficult to run so early in the morning! Not because it's too early, but it's too cold. My Floridan ass cannot handle anything under 50. :-(

Cheech

It's quite difficult to run so early in the morning! Not because it's too early, but it's too cold. My Floridan ass cannot handle anything under 50. :-(

Yeah, I run on a treadmill this time of year for the most part. Not even really because of the cold, but because of ice. Combined with the fact it's also pitch black outside, that is just asking for injury.

And if it's 40-50? I'm still running in regular tech shirt and shorts. It has to be 40 or below for me to put anything else on. I've lived in Michigan my whole life, though.

Doodis

What happened to your foot?
Strained a tendon in a half marathon a couple months ago. It's the third time it's happened to me, usually occurs when I increase my miles for a longer race. Really a bummer, as I've had to take quite a bit of time off while it heals.

I've also had a stress fracture. As much as I love running (started 4 or 5 years ago), I really hate the fact that I'm injured so often.

Necrovex

Have you ever tried running in 50~ weather? This morning in Miami was like 40-50ish and it felt great.

I actually ran in 50 degree weather the other day. It felt like my nostril was on fire when I took in deep breathes. And since I am only on the second week of couch to 5K, I was walking for a bit, so the cold crept up on me.

Yeah, I run on a treadmill this time of year for the most part. Not even really because of the cold, but because of ice. Combined with the fact it's also pitch black outside, that is just asking for injury.

And if it's 40-50? I'm still running in regular tech shirt and shorts. It has to be 40 or below for me to put anything else on. I've lived in Michigan my whole life, though.

I wouldn't mind running on a treadmill, but I am running to prepare for military life, so I have to get my joints used to running on the cement.

I tend to toss a sweater on during those cold mornings/evenings.

I ran 6 miles yesterday. Ugh my feet hurt. And I walked for a few small stretches. I need to run more. And get new shoes.

I'm doing a 12K in a few months (Bay to Breakers!) and I want to be able to run it w/o walking.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So I was planning to run a half marathon in April. Training started back in December, but after my first week of training, where I pretty much over-exerted myself I started getting pain in my right ankle/heel/shin area. Went to a Chripractor over January where she did A.R.T. I obviously didn't get to run too much while nursing that injury so I'm planning to do a 10k sometime in the spring/summer, but man, does it suck running in the cold. Treadmills are a bit boring. :\

I wouldn't mind running on a treadmill, but I am running to prepare for military life, so I have to get my joints used to running on the cement.

I tend to toss a sweater on during those cold mornings/evenings.

Speaking of treadmills, do you all find running on cement significantly harder than the treadmill? I know treadmills are technically easier physically, but sometimes it seems outside is easier due to the monotony of the treadmill.

Necrovex

Speaking of treadmills, do you all find running on cement significantly harder than the treadmill? I know treadmills are technically easier physically, but sometimes it seems outside is easier due to the monotony of the treadmill.

I actually find running outside is a tad easier. Maybe it's not physically easier, but I get so bloody bored on a treadmill that I hit a mental fatigue during my workout. When I am outside, it feels like time is going a tad faster.

TheGrue

I am your opposite. I had to go to Ft. Lauderdale for work at the end of last year and ran two 10K morning runs down there with temps in the high 70s and humid as hell and thought I was going to die. I can run 10 miles in Colorado without any water, but I had to carry a bottle with me down there and drink it down 3 miles in. Luckily the boardwalk I was running on had plenty of water fountains so I could fill it back up and drink again. 40s and 50s is pretty much perfect running weather for me, but I also love running below freezing.

Strained a tendon in a half marathon a couple months ago. It's the third time it's happened to me, usually occurs when I increase my miles for a longer race. Really a bummer, as I've had to take quite a bit of time off while it heals.

I've also had a stress fracture. As much as I love running (started 4 or 5 years ago), I really hate the fact that I'm injured so often.

That sucks. I had a big bruise on my foot last weekend that the podiatrist felt was a stressed/tweaked tendon but he cleared me to run on it if it felt ok. I keep it wrapped nice and tight and it hasn't been a terrible bother so far thankfully. I was able to do 14 pain free miles this weekend, but I'm still watching it closely.

After going through this so often, I assume you've already reviewed what shoes you are running in? My podiatrist suggested my strain may have been caused by my shoes, so I switched them up with something more supportive and so far so good.

Either way, best of luck getting through the injury :)

Edit - Regarding the cold weather running, I'll go out in just about anything. Zero degree temps (or below) will not deter me. The only thing that does is ice for obvious reasons. I'm not quite sure at what temperature I would just straight up not go.

Also, I much prefer getting up early for a run. Totally sets the tone for the day and doesn't provide me much excuse to skip a run. If I tried to run after work I imagine I'd be able to come up with any number of reasons to postpone or cancel a run.

Treadmill running is not for me, so I go outside almost 100% of the time. I get a much greater sense of accomplishment running outside with all of the various conditions (weather, hills, etc.) that go with it.

turnbuckle

Can anyone recommend a good minimalist running shoe? Around 7oz-8 oz.

I've been using Nike Free 3.0s for the last few years. I had the second and third versions and loved them both. I've heard mostly bad things from people who also wore the older versions the 3.0 about the newest model (v4). The complaints had to do with the durability and the narrowness of the center of the shoe.

I decided to buy inov-8 road xlite 155

1879664-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I wore them around the office for a few hours today and didn't like the fit. More space than desired in the toebox (I liked a some extra space, but this is too much) yet the shoe fits too snugly in the middle and heel. I tried them out on the track and treadmill this evening and barely made it a mile before I developed large blisters in both my heels. I'll be returning these and looking for something else.

I don't want to wear Vibram 5 fingers, but I want a shoe that feels comfortable running in without wearing socks. The nike frees were perfect for that.

BTW Nike's naming conventions suck. They have Nike Free Run+ 3, but those are actually 5.0. I owned a pair of 5.0s before and they weren't bad, but I liked the lighter 3.0. Probably my favorite running shoe ever.

Cheech

I actually find running outside is a tad easier. Maybe it's not physically easier, but I get so bloody bored on a treadmill that I hit a mental fatigue during my workout. When I am outside, it feels like time is going a tad faster.

Same. Also, the air indoors is still and the temp is 70ish. My endurance is far better outside since I keep cooler.

I've been using Nike Free 3.0s for the last few years. I had the second and third versions and loved them both. I've heard mostly bad things from people who also wore the older versions the 3.0 about the newest model (v4). The complaints had to do with the durability and the narrowness of the center of the shoe.

http://a3.zassets.com/images/z/1/8/7/9/6/6/1879664-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg[MG]

I wore them around the office for a few hours today and didn't like the fit. More space than desired in the toebox (I liked a some extra space, but this is too much) yet the shoe fits too snugly in the middle and heel. I tried them out on the track and treadmill this evening and barely made it a mile before I developed large blisters in both my heels. I'll be returning these and looking for something else.

I don't want to wear Vibram 5 fingers, but I want a shoe that feels comfortable running in without wearing socks. The nike frees were perfect for that.

BTW Nike's naming conventions suck. They have Nike Free Run+ 3, but those are actually 5.0. I owned a pair of 5.0s before and they weren't bad, but I liked the lighter 3.0. Probably my favorite running shoe ever.[/QUOTE]

I just picked up some Saucony Verattas. Haven't run in those yet though, but I find them pretty comfy to walk around in. A little more cushion than your typical zero drop as well.

Fewr

Those always looked like fun. I'm doing a Color Run with my wife and son this summer. It's not something I'd do myself (it looks mostly female-oriented), but it's a nice change of pace. The Mud Runs look REALLY fun, but I'm afraid of injury.

You mean this? http://toughmudder.com/

This along with the Greece to Turkey swim are my current lifetime dreams.

Doodis

1879664-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

BTW Nike's naming conventions suck. They have Nike Free Run+ 3, but those are actually 5.0. I owned a pair of 5.0s before and they weren't bad, but I liked the lighter 3.0. Probably my favorite running shoe ever.
I wear the 155s and love them. BUT I have to wear a half size smaller than I normally do in other shoes - they're just sized differently. I guess it just goes to show that feet are so different and what's perfect for one person isn't right for another.

After going through this so often, I assume you've already reviewed what shoes you are running in? My podiatrist suggested my strain may have been caused by my shoes, so I switched them up with something more supportive and so far so good.

Either way, best of luck getting through the injury :)
Unfortunately, I've been injured in several kinds of shoes, from super cushiony to very minimal. In general, I've found a minimalist approach is much better for my knees (also switching from heel striking to midfoot running).

East Lake

New Balance Minimus are nice. I have a pair for when I don't feel like using vibrams. Vivo Barefoot are another brand that might be worth looking at, but I haven't tried those.

turnbuckle

I wear the 155s and love them. BUT I have to wear a half size smaller than I normally do in other shoes - they're just sized differently. I guess it just goes to show that feet are so different and what's perfect for one person isn't right for another.

Unfortunately, I've been injured in several kinds of shoes, from super cushiony to very minimal. In general, I've found a minimalist approach is much better for my knees (also switching from heel striking to midfoot running).

Yeah, I've noticed the same with every inov-8 I've owned. I bought the 195s last fall in my normal size 12 and they were too big all around. I dropped down to an 11 and they were too constrictive and not enough space for my toes. The 11.5 has a little extra wiggle room in the toe box and fits perfectly. They're not minimalist enough for what I'm looking for but they make wonderful everyday shoes and great for playing racquetball in.

I ordered my 155s in 11.5 (half size lower than my regular 12) and they give ample space for my toes but are tight as a vacuum everywhere else. These 155s causing large blisters on both heels after light running a mile is an immediate red flag.

Dammit.

Really?

I would say the treadmill is more difficult because its soo boring and so in that respect running outside is easier because its much more fulfilling and enjoyable but for training that isn't true for me at all.

I have been trying to get as close as I possibly can to a 5 min flat mile. Because its freezing outside I am mostly attempting it on a treadmill. About 2 months ago with a 2.0 Incline I was able to hit a 5:22 and now can hit that consistently.

Now that it has warmed up I am running outside exclusively and to hit a pace fast enough to even come close to a 5:30 I have to run all out and by the end of just that mile I am so much more depleted than I ever am from a treadmill.

for minimalist shoes, i just picked up a pair of merrell road glove 2's today. the merrell store in town was the only place stocking minimalist shoes to try so they got my business.

For minimalist shoes is there any reason you guys are not considering Vibram 5 Fingers?
I have ran 2 marathons in them now and I swear by those things.

I saw a guy running in the Tahoe Odyssey with these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Po1_M_qsw-E

Crazy fast guy too

Necrovex

Really?

I would say the treadmill is more difficult because its soo boring and so in that respect running outside is easier because its much more fulfilling and enjoyable but for training that isn't true for me at all.

I have been trying to get as close as I possibly can to a 5 min flat mile. Because its freezing outside I am mostly attempting it on a treadmill. About 2 months ago with a 2.0 Incline I was able to hit a 5:22 and now can hit that consistently.

Now that it has warmed up I am running outside exclusively and to hit a pace fast enough to even come close to a 5:30 I have to run all out and by the end of just that mile I am so much more depleted than I ever am from a treadmill.

You're running against (possibly uneven) concrete, thus your joint is taking a slight beating, compared to the smoothness of the treadmill. The smoothness, at least in my mind, makes it slightly easier to run on a treadmill. But like I said, I hate running on a treadmill because it is so god damn boring, and it feels like a run takes forever.

I also decided to try going out in 55 degree weather this morning. It was really nice, besides me wearing some bad-quality clothes that made me very itchy.

turnbuckle

For minimalist shoes is there any reason you guys are not considering Vibram 5 Fingers?
I have ran 2 marathons in them now and I swear by those things.

I have a weird anatomical flaw in both my hands and feet. The tip of my pinkie barely passes the knuckle on my ring finger. This has made buying gloves a pain in the ass because I normally would wear a large size glove but there's always an extra 1/3 inch or so of slack on the pinkie while the other fingers fit snug. If I make a fist it literally looks like I don't have a knuckle on my pinkie.

Same issue with my toes. I have moderately sized feet that skew a little wide near the base of my toes, but my pinkie toe sits lower / is smaller than the rest of my toes. I mean, everyone's pinkie / pinkie toe is smaller, but mine are abnormally small. Doesn't look like a deformation or anything like that, but it means I strongly prefer a more traditional toe box than a VFF.

Anywho, I've had no luck on finding older versions of the nike free 3.0. I spent hours yesterday and days before trying to find some on ebay and all the normal shoe websites (REI, 6pm, Zappos, Foot Locker, Finish Line, EastBay, etc). I'm hoping their version 5 of the 3.0 fixes some of the issues people are having with the 4th version. I'm tempted to buy the 4th model on a whim, but I've heard too many bad things from too many people that loved the earlier models to do it.

Cyan

Banned
Yeah, I find that treadmills are slightly easier physically, but mentally more difficult since they're so damn boring. For me, the mental aspect overwhelms the physical and I just can't run as well on a treadmill.

Daaaamn, you fast. My PB on a mile is 5:47, and I only hit that once.

Yeah, I find that treadmills are slightly easier physically, but mentally more difficult since they're so damn boring. For me, the mental aspect overwhelms the physical and I just can't run as well on a treadmill.

Daaaamn, you fast. My PB on a mile is 5:47, and I only hit that once.

Its actually not that impressive considering how much time it took me to shave just 20 seconds off. I was at like 5:55 for what seemed like half a year. I will say one thing trying to run at that pace and realizing there are guys maintaining that kind of speed and even faster for marathons is mindblowing.

I have a weird anatomical flaw in both my hands and feet. The tip of my pinkie barely passes the knuckle on my ring finger. This has made buying gloves a pain in the ass because I normally would wear a large size glove but there's always an extra 1/3 inch or so of slack on the pinkie while the other fingers fit snug. If I make a fist it literally looks like I don't have a knuckle on my pinkie.

Same issue with my toes. I have moderately sized feet that skew a little wide near the base of my toes, but my pinkie toe sits lower / is smaller than the rest of my toes. I mean, everyone's pinkie / pinkie toe is smaller, but mine are abnormally small. Doesn't look like a deformation or anything like that, but it means I strongly prefer a more traditional toe box than a VFF.

Anywho, I've had no luck on finding older versions of the nike free 3.0. I spent hours yesterday and days before trying to find some on ebay and all the normal shoe websites (REI, 6pm, Zappos, Foot Locker, Finish Line, EastBay, etc). I'm hoping their version 5 of the 3.0 fixes some of the issues people are having with the 4th version. I'm tempted to buy the 4th model on a whim, but I've heard too many bad things from too many people that loved the earlier models to do it.

Ahh gotcha. Sorry man sounds like a pain in the ass.

Necrovex

I decided it was time for new shoes. Three-to-four years with the same running shoe is probably a very bad idea. After some thinking, I went with the Vibram Five-Fingers, komodo model. I hope these shoes meet the high hype runners are making for them.

I decided it was time for new shoes. Three-to-four years with the same running shoe is probably a very bad idea. After some thinking, I went with the Vibram Five-Fingers, komodo model. I hope these shoes meet the high hype runners are making for them.

Wow! 3-4 years? I'm an avid runner. Run almost every day. I go through shoes every three months like clock work. A good rule of thumb is to change them out every 300-500 miles. I know that's a big gap, but mileage varies because shoes are so different.

Obviously the Five Fingers are a completely different animal. I ran in them for awhile, but didn't like them for anything over 4 or 5 miles. Short runs they were fine, but longer runs I needed something more.

Necrovex

Wow! 3-4 years? I'm an avid runner. Run almost every day. I go through shoes every three months like clock work. A good rule of thumb is to change them out every 300-500 miles. I know that's a big gap, but mileage varies because shoes are so different.

Obviously the Five Fingers are a completely different animal. I ran in them for awhile, but didn't like them for anything over 4 or 5 miles. Short runs they were fine, but longer runs I needed something more.

I only tend to do short runs rather than long-ass runs. This may change in the future as I get more into form and shape.

My old shoes also took some damage during my rafting trip last year too.

Hellcrow

Hi, any tips where I can buy good running shoes, size 13-14 in SoCal? The ones I have now are starting to hurt my legs.

tc farks

Hi, any tips where I can buy good running shoes, size 13-14 in SoCal? The ones I have now are starting to hurt my legs.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/

I would check out running warehouse. Don't know your budget, but I was looking at the liquidation section today and there are some great deals. Not to mention, an extra 15% off clearance shoes with the code fb15off. I realize that if you're just looking locally this is of no help to you personally.

Expounding on this for my own benefit, any good recommendations for a running shoe with a wide toe box? The shoes I have are too tight for me and causing some pain, even having them tied as loose as possible. I could see trying to jump up a width, but medium width shoes are fine for me except for the fact I have bunions on my feet. Could definitely use a 'roomier' shoe.

Cyan

Banned

I don't think this is a good idea. You definitely need new running shoes after three to four years, but Vibrams aren't something you can just jump into. If you want to try them, I would strongly suggest you mostly stick with regular running shoes and just use them on the side, for very short runs. If you decide you like them, you can ramp it up. Jumping straight into your regular runs with Vibrams is likely to get you injured.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Took a run to the grocery store yesterday. It was really nice to get out and run. Picked up groceries so I had to walk it back (had a book bag). That part sucked because it took so long lol

Necrovex

I don't think this is a good idea. You definitely need new running shoes after three to four years, but Vibrams aren't something you can just jump into. If you want to try them, I would strongly suggest you mostly stick with regular running shoes and just use them on the side, for very short runs. If you decide you like them, you can ramp it up. Jumping straight into your regular runs with Vibrams is likely to get you injured.

What would your recommend as alternative running shoes?

spectros4

Neo Member
Expounding on this for my own benefit, any good recommendations for a running shoe with a wide toe box? The shoes I have are too tight for me and causing some pain, even having them tied as loose as possible. I could see trying to jump up a width, but medium width shoes are fine for me except for the fact I have bunions on my feet. Could definitely use a 'roomier' shoe.

I've found that New Balance seem to be wider and 'roomier' compared to other shoes. I always buy New Balance each year because of this.

Cyan

Banned
What would your recommend as alternative running shoes?

I just meant regular running shoes. Is there a new model/version/whatever of the shoes you've been using? If you stuck with them for years, I'm assuming they worked well for you, so might as well keep on with that brand. Or if you weren't totally satisfied, you can hit up a specialist shoe shop and ask them for help.

I can't really recommend a specific brand or type of shoe myself, as it depends a lot on how you run and what's comfortable/helpful for you.

Necrovex

I just meant regular running shoes. Is there a new model/version/whatever of the shoes you've been using? If you stuck with them for years, I'm assuming they worked well for you, so might as well keep on with that brand. Or if you weren't totally satisfied, you can hit up a specialist shoe shop and ask them for help.

I can't really recommend a specific brand or type of shoe myself, as it depends a lot on how you run and what's comfortable/helpful for you.

I actually bought those shoes at random, and I have been too lazy and cheap to replace them. I started to use them heavily summer of '11.

Guess it's time to hit an expert this weekend.

Chris R

Weather has warmed up a bit so I'm continuing on to my first goal (sub 30 5k). Hoping by Spring/breakup it will be a reality. I can already see major improvements from the first time I went running this winter though. Yes I know I'm terrible compared to most runners here, but I'm working at it!

Cyan

Banned
Guess it's time to hit an expert this weekend.

Yeah, I'd google around for running shops near you, and check out yelp reviews and such. A good place will take you outside and have you run for them so they can analyze your gait (a really good place might have a treadmill and camera setup so they can play it back and show you stuff). If they recommend shoes for you without doing that, they're probably not going to help you much.

Necrovex

Yeah, I'd google around for running shops near you, and check out yelp reviews and such. A good place will take you outside and have you run for them so they can analyze your gait (a really good place might have a treadmill and camera setup so they can play it back and show you stuff). If they recommend shoes for you without doing that, they're probably not going to help you much.

Sir, you are as knowledgeable as you are a bookworm.

Tampa is not a great place for running stores. I only found one 4 star store (that had more than ten reviews) through Yelp. I'm happy that I should be in the surrounding area tomorrow, so I'll give it a look at. I hope that guy I ordered the five fingers shoe from cancels my order!

Presco

Haven't ran since late January due to cancer surgery and recovery and I have radiation starting in mid march. Really want to take advantage of the next few weeks since I might need another surgery in a few months. Has been driving me crazy! Especially since I was hitting personal bests pretty much every time out pre surgery. I've been doing 15 minutes of stairs and 100 push-ups per day for the last week so I'm feeling ready to get back on the treadmill and maybe a bit of bench press. Wish the weather was a bit nicer in Toronto and that I could run outside. Hope to get the chance before radiation. Gonna try a nice light 3km tomorrow.

Enjoy your health while you have it people! And stay in shape just so that the come back from something unforeseen is a bit easier.

Necrovex

Went to Fit 2 Run today. Had my feet checked out, treadmill running and all. Got myself a new pair of shoes. They feel really comfy. I don't know the brand but I will post it when I get back to my car.

I have bee nhaving a problem with nausea when hitting the six mile mark. Tricked myself today and started on a 5 mile run that turned into 11 miles in horrid Austin, Tx traffic.
No stomach problems at all and i could have kept running. I will have to try and replicate my caloric intake for this day. It was great not having to stop a run b/c of stomach issues.
11.6 miles in 1hr20minutes.

Cheech

Weather has warmed up a bit so I'm continuing on to my first goal (sub 30 5k). Hoping by Spring/breakup it will be a reality. I can already see major improvements from the first time I went running this winter though. Yes I know I'm terrible compared to most runners here, but I'm working at it!

You can do it. I was 300 pounds in 2011. Today I'm 240 and did a 29:29 5k last fall.

Don't use GAF as a barometer. I go to this thread for inspiration, not advice. Heh. Runner's World has a very nice forum for people like you and I who are getting started.

Tried mid-run energy supplements for the first time this weekend on my 15-miler and thankfully everything went well. I went with some gummy chews instead of the gel stuff for now and the only issue was trying to chew and swallow while running. More difficult than I expected and ended up just using that time for a brief walk break.

I've got some Gu and Gu-type stuff to try next weekend, so we'll see what works best.

Doytch

Tried mid-run energy supplements for the first time this weekend on my 15-miler and thankfully everything went well. I went with some gummy chews instead of the gel stuff for now and the only issue was trying to chew and swallow while running. More difficult than I expected and ended up just using that time for a brief walk break.

I've got some Gu and Gu-type stuff to try next weekend, so we'll see what works best.
If you're just checking stuff out, peep UCAN Super Starch. I've really started digging the stuff. None of the awful gut rot you get after pounding gel after gel during a marathon/long-course triathlon, the density of the starch molecules means you need fewer calories, it's a more stable release of energy rather than the rushes you get with gels, AND you can use it during long training runs and still burn fat rather than carbs.

In terms of usage, I mix a pack into my ~22oz bottle and take a squirt every 20mins on my long Z2 runs.

Top Bottom