• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Been running to prepare for a 10k. As of now I can only do 3k though so I'm curious to see how much improvement I'll see in the next few months. Still trying to figure things out but I hope to do 10k in an hour. At the moment I can only run at that pace for 1k =(

Gibbo

trained for the standard chartered bank 21km that was held early dec. took a 2 weeks break from running after that while i travelled on holidays. When i tried running again last week, i could hardly hit 12km. lol. the joys of being in my 30s ;(

trained for the standard chartered bank 21km that was held early dec. took a 2 weeks break from running after that while i travelled on holidays. When i tried running again last week, i could hardly hit 12km. lol. the joys of being in my 30s ;(
Lol come on man. Do you have any idea how little the regular person in their 30s can run? You're fine.

I gotta lose some weight. So instead of slagging as usual, I put in some effort in my most recent run. It was in the rain too so it was cathartic. And when I got home, I realized the batteries on my GPS watch thingy died so I only go the stats for the first mile. Grumble.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I LOVE these. The price is a little on the high side, but they're pretty much perfect for me. I think the Wirecutter had a good piece on them too.

How's the volume on those? Headphones I have now are so quiet but they're very comfortable. I'm a big Sennheiser fan so I'm definitely interested.

edit: Hmm, on second thought I would like to use them while I lift and those just wouldn't work for that.

My old Nike Frees are starting to fall apart on me so I treated myself a new pair. Went with the 4.0 v2's. Thinner, more sock like than the standard 5.0. However they offer more support than the 3.0. Can't wait to give them a shot on the treadmill tomorrow morning. The fit very differently than my old frees. They really hug my foot on the sides where as the old ones were more loose. Going to have to see how they break in.
0vW95.jpg

Gibbo

btw, wanted to ask you guys what are good water bottles to run with? i sweat alot so preferably something light and does not slip out of my hands, and holds just enough for a 12-15 km run

btw, wanted to ask you guys what are good water bottles to run with? i sweat alot so preferably something light and does not slip out of my hands, and holds just enough for a 12-15 km run

Don't run with one.

You should be ok running anything up to 10 miles easy without drinking any water as long as you're nice and hydrated at the start. Otherwise I'd stash one in the bushes somewhere along the run and go from there.

Even though I don't run long distances, my arms/shoulders still get tired from the standard runner's stance (with bent arms). Probably due to the fact that my forearms are pretty heavy/muscular.
So carrying a bottle was never an option for me, though when I was still in CA and did the long hill runs in hot weather, I did consider buying a hydration backpack such as this:

Ee8Lv.jpg

They're cheap too afair (20-30 dollars).

Been running to prepare for a 10k. As of now I can only do 3k though so I'm curious to see how much improvement I'll see in the next few months. Still trying to figure things out but I hope to do 10k in an hour. At the moment I can only run at that pace for 1k =(

You'd be surprised. Last May I could barely run 1 mile without stopping. By July I was up to 7 or 8 I believe. Did my first half marathon in September.

Are you on a specific training plan? I loosely followed Hal Higdon's 10K one and then hopped over to his half.

You'd be surprised. Last May I could barely run 1 mile without stopping. By July I was up to 7 or 8 I believe. Did my first half marathon in September.

Are you on a specific training plan? I loosely followed Hal Higdon's 10K one and then hopped over to his half.
That's nice progress. I'm not on a specific plan, but I should see what there is because it'd be easier to stay motivated instead of just running without a goal I suppose. I'll look into that one. Thanks.

Tashi

That's impressive.

What speed do you guys normally run at? I know when I'm on the treadmill I usually walk and then the running speed is 6mph. I usually do a little over a mile straight before I have to shut it down. My goal is to run a 5k straight through in the Spring.

Also, had my first session on the treadmill with my new Nike Frees (pictured above). I had to take it easy so I could adjust to the new shoes. Damn, I didn't think they would be so different from my old Frees. I mean, obviously just wearing them I could tell they're different but they really engage the muscles differently. My feet, my calves and my quads were all burning towards the end of my mile. They're so damn light and tight though. They really feel great. I'm just going to have to train more and wear them everywhere so that I can adjust to them.

TheGrue

Anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive but decent pair of headphones to run with? I'd rather not use my noise isolating ones while outside for obvious reasons.

I always use ones that have the little loop that keeps it rested on the ear. Basically anything that looks like this:

10005896_title_philips_shs_4800_kopfhoerer.jpg

I can't keep an ear bud in my ear just sitting still, so no way they would work while running. I usually just walk into a Target when they eventually short out and get another pair. I have no brand loyalty on these things and usually just look for a pair around $20. I only listen to podcasts when running, though, so not too interested in sound quality.

TheGrue

That's impressive.

What speed do you guys normally run at? I know when I'm on the treadmill I usually walk and then the running speed is 6mph. I usually do a little over a mile straight before I have to shut it down. My goal is to run a 5k straight through in the Spring.

When I first started running years ago (doing couch to 5K), I could get about 2 miles running 6 MPH, but could never seem to get that third mile. I was running on treadmills back then (I refuse to ever run on one now) and I decided to just slow down to 5 MPH. Was able to easily get 3 miles in and then I just slowly increased speed over a couple of weeks to get up to 3 miles at 6 MPH. The best speed I ever got on a treadmill was 8 MPH for 8 miles.

I can't run that fast outdoors, but mostly because where I live has plenty of hills. I went back home to New Orleans for Christmas and was able to pull off a 7:50 pace, which is about 7.66 MPH, so I guess that is close to the 8 MPH I did on the treadmill. I live in Colorado now, so the lower altitude and flatness of New Orleans makes my pace really jump. Around here, the best I can usually manage is an 8:13. I could probably do that 8 MPH today on the treadmill if I would ever subject myself to that again.

I can't keep an ear bud in my ear just sitting still, so no way they would work while running. I usually just walk into a Target when they eventually short out and get another pair. I have no brand loyalty on these things and usually just look for a pair around $20. I only listen to podcasts when running, though, so not too interested in sound quality.

See, that's what's great about the Sennheiser ones linked above (and i'm sure other sports headphones too). They're sweat and water proof. I broke way too many pairs of cheap headphones by running in the rain or just sweating into them. I swear my sweat is fucking toxic or something. It sucks to have your headphones go out right at the start of a two hour run.

I've been through rainstorms with the Sennheiser ones, and through ridiculously sweaty summer runs, and they're fine. Just rinse them in the sink and don't worry about it.

That's nice progress. I'm not on a specific plan, but I should see what there is because it'd be easier to stay motivated instead of just running without a goal I suppose. I'll look into that one. Thanks.

Absolutely, it'll give you short term goals which should keep you motivated to keep it going.

That's impressive.

I usually run around 6.5 to 7 MPH on my outside runs which is a comfortable pace for me. No way I do that on a treadmill though as those seem so much faster for some reason. I despise treadmill running, but when I'm forced to do it I keep it around 6 MPH and just run for a certain amount of time, ignoring the distance.

You should check out Hal Higdon's site too. Great resource for all and it has a 5k program too.

Tashi

When I first started running years ago (doing couch to 5K), I could get about 2 miles running 6 MPH, but could never seem to get that third mile. I was running on treadmills back then (I refuse to ever run on one now) and I decided to just slow down to 5 MPH. Was able to easily get 3 miles in and then I just slowly increased speed over a couple of weeks to get up to 3 miles at 6 MPH. The best speed I ever got on a treadmill was 8 MPH for 8 miles.

I can't run that fast outdoors, but mostly because where I live has plenty of hills. I went back home to New Orleans for Christmas and was able to pull off a 7:50 pace, which is about 7.66 MPH, so I guess that is close to the 8 MPH I did on the treadmill. I live in Colorado now, so the lower altitude and flatness of New Orleans makes my pace really jump. Around here, the best I can usually manage is an 8:13. I could probably do that 8 MPH today on the treadmill if I would ever subject myself to that again.

Absolutely, it'll give you short term goals which should keep you motivated to keep it going.

I usually run around 6.5 to 7 MPH on my outside runs which is a comfortable pace for me. No way I do that on a treadmill though as those seem so much faster for some reason. I despise treadmill running, but when I'm forced to do it I keep it around 6 MPH and just run for a certain amount of time, ignoring the distance.

You should check out Hal Higdon's site too. Great resource for all and it has a 5k program too.

Hmmm. So how important is pace really? I'm asking because really I'm using running as a weight loss tool. My primary exercise is weight lifting but I hit the treadmill after every workout. And then on off days, maybe twice a week I do an hour on the treadmill, no lifting. I'm wondering if it's better to lower the running speed. That would allow me to run for a longer period of time. Or would it be better to keep raising the speed even though the amount of time I could keep up the speed would be lower. I'm not sure now.

Hmmm. So how important is pace really? I'm asking because really I'm using running as a weight loss tool. My primary exercise is weight lifting but I hit the treadmill after every workout. And then on off days, maybe twice a week I do an hour on the treadmill, no lifting. I'm wondering if it's better to lower the running speed. That would allow me to run for a longer period of time. Or would it be better to keep raising the speed even though the amount of time I could keep up the speed would be lower. I'm not sure now.

Furthest thing from an expert here, but I'd say it depends.

I think this article may offer some help if you are approaching it from the perspective of losing weight.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/busting-the-great-myths-of-fat-burning.html

Myth: Exercise done at a low intensity, such as walking, is better at fat burning than other high-intensity activities, like running or cardio activities where you push yourself very hard.

The Truth: In a strict scientific sense, these claims are true because working at a lower intensity requires less quick energy and a higher percentage of fat is burned. But you'll also burn fewer calories than you would if, for the same amount of time, you work out at a harder intensity (running versus walking). If you're trying to lose weight, even though a higher percentage of fat is being used, a lower total amount of fat is lost.

Whether increased fat burning will result in actual weight loss is dependent upon several variables, including the total calories burned (which include both fat and carbohydrate calories) and the total fat calories burned. If you do work at a low intensity, you need to increase the time spent exercising to burn more calories.

What matters most is the total number of calories burned. If you burned 250 calories every day from a short, fast jog, you'd see a bigger difference in weight and fat loss than if you walked every day for the same amount of time.

The number of fat calories you burn isn't that important, because even if you burn a lot of carb calories, these need to be replaced both by the carbs you eat in your diet and also within your body. Your fat stores will be broken down and transformed into carbohydrates when you need fuel. Even if you're burning lots of carb calories and less fat calories through exercise, your fat still inevitably gets used.

It boils — not burns — down to this: During the same amount of time you don't use more calories at lower exercise intensities. If you're trying to lose weight and you have only 30 minutes to work out, you would burn fewer calories walking at a moderate pace compared to walking at a fast pace.
Working out at higher intensities may cause you to burn a lower percentage of fat, but since you burn more total calories, you still use more fat calories. (See Following a Cardio Plan for Weight Loss to get tips on what exercises can help you shed pounds.)

Low- to moderate-intensity exercise can burn a significant number of calories over a period of time. If you aren't fit enough to push yourself to work at a high intensity, or you have a physical weakness that prevents you from doing so, you can still burn a lot of calories by doing low-intensity workouts for a longer period of time.

Tashi

Furthest thing from an expert here, but I'd say it depends.

I think this article may offer some help if you are approaching it from the perspective of losing weight.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/busting-the-great-myths-of-fat-burning.html

Ok so, in-line with the article, I'm trying to burn as many calories as possible in that 1 hour block. I usually run at 6mph and walk at 3.5. Ideally, I would run at 6mph for the entire hour. That would result in the most calories burned if my max speed was 6mph. As it stands now, I can get about 10-11 minutes straight at 6mph on my first go at that speed. Then I walk for like 6-10 min at 3.5 and then back up for 6 for 5 minutes or so. I think I'm doing it right then.

I am curious to know what the difference is between running as long as I can at 6mph and then running as long as I can at 5 or 5.5mph. Difference in calories burned that is. Man, I need to re-up on my BodyMedia arm band subscription so I can find out for sure. That's interesting as hell.

I don't know my pace in MPH but I tend to run at 8 min/mile pace for anything up to 8 miles. Shorter and I can knock out 7.20-7.30. Longer and I get settled into 9 min/mile pace and I can just do that forever.

Like today went out for my first run of the year. I've not been out for 8 days and eaten like shit and got tanked. When I was out first mile was a bit fast so slowed it up and ran a 10k. Didn't think the time was up to much because I didn't feel great. Thought maybe 54. But no 50 on the nail! First mile was 7.12 (!) then settled into 8 and change.

It's about what feels good. You don't want to be going eyeballs out. This is why I always recommend running without music. Fucks up you're natural pacing mechanisms. If you're body wants to go fast but the music isn't right you'll pull your stride and cramp up. The other way round you'll blow up fast. Just go natural. feelsgood.gif

So I'll be doing a 10k on Weds and Fri then probably 11 on Sunday. Aiming to do 1000 running miles in 2013!

Anyone ever get a pain in their toe from running? My middle toe next to my big toe hurts when I bend it.

I run on a regular basis and have pain in my big toe. It doesn't hurt unless I bend it so I don't notice it unless I'm walking down some stairs. It's not that painful. It kind of feels like a stiff toe, like it hasn't been stretched for a long time.

It's about what feels good. You don't want to be going eyeballs out. This is why I always recommend running without music. Fucks up you're natural pacing mechanisms. If you're body wants to go fast but the music isn't right you'll pull your stride and cramp up. The other way round you'll blow up fast. Just go natural. feelsgood.gif

I mostly run with podcasts for this reason. But sometimes you just have to blast some drum & bass and wreck yourself going as fast as the body will go. It might not be smart, but it's fun as hell.

Tashi

I mostly do my running on a treadmill (too cold out lol. Although this weekend will be in the 50's apparently so I will be hitting the track) so I'm not worried about music messing with my pace. I actually think treadmill helps a lot in that way. You can get used to how a certain speed feels. Last time I went on the trailer I was surprised by how I was able to keep my pace and I think mainly running on a treadmill helped.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Greetings, Run-GAF, I have now joined your ranks. I have started jogging for the first time in many years and am really enjoying it. I started a couple of weeks ago primarily to improve my stamina when I spar in Krav Maga but I've started to really enjoy it for the sake of pure jogging. I'm using the Nike+ app and recorded my first time last week of 5km at about 9.,8km p/h. I jogged again today and managed 6.66km at a rate of 1okm p/h. I'm pretty sure I could of run for even longer and maybe even faster but it was getting late and I was hungry for dinner. I reckon I'll hit the 10K mark pretty darned soon.

Is jogging twice a week (with Krav Maga classes three times a week) enough to ensure steady improvement or should I up it to three times per week?

I plan to later this year run the City2Surf Sydney and the Tough Mudder course. I might aim for a half-marathon as well if I can.

Greetings, Run-GAF, I have now joined your ranks. I have started jogging for the first time in many years and am really enjoying it. I started a couple of weeks ago primarily to improve my stamina when I spar in Krav Maga but I've started to really enjoy it for the sake of pure jogging. I'm using the Nike+ app and recorded my first time last week of 5km at about 9.,8km p/h. I jogged again today and managed 6.66km at a rate of 1okm p/h. I'm pretty sure I could of run for even longer and maybe even faster but it was getting late and I was hungry for dinner. I reckon I'll hit the 10K mark pretty darned soon.

Is jogging twice a week (with Krav Maga classes three times a week) enough to ensure steady improvement or should I up it to three times per week?

I plan to later this year run the City2Surf Sydney and the Tough Mudder course. I might aim for a half-marathon as well if I can.

Congrats on getting into running. If you are looking to see steady improvement, I'd say you probably want to kick it up from two for sure. The only thing I'll say is not to push to far to fast. You want to build a decent base before pushing to far in order to minimize your risk for injury.

That said, a 10k isn't terrbily difficult to build up to and if you already do fitness work with Krav Maga, you should probably be just fine. If you are really interested in working up to a 10k or further, you may want to check out some specific training programs online and see if they work for you. I've mentioned before, but I quite enjoy Hal Higdon's website for training programs.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Congrats on getting into running. If you are looking to see steady improvement, I'd say you probably want to kick it up from two for sure. The only thing I'll say is not to push to far to fast. You want to build a decent base before pushing to far in order to minimize your risk for injury.

That said, a 10k isn't terrbily difficult to build up to and if you already do fitness work with Krav Maga, you should probably be just fine. If you are really interested in working up to a 10k or further, you may want to check out some specific training programs online and see if they work for you. I've mentioned before, but I quite enjoy Hal Higdon's website for training programs.

Yeah, I guess I should increase it to three days per week but I worry that I'll only have one day of rest (a Saturday) which is a day I always work. Is that enough rest to recover properly?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Got myself some new shoes (New Balance 890 V2 at a very heavy discount) and running shorts. Did a run today and managed a personal best of 8.95km. Pretty happy with that. Next goal is 10K which I should hopefully hit next week maybe.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Oh yeah, speaking of shorts. If you guys haven't tried compression shorts/tights you're missing out. Especially if you're bouncing around too much or have chafing issues.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
10K, woooo! Did it a little earlier than I thought I would. Think I'll focus on getting my time down rather than increasing distance for a little while.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Good job man! That's a big milestone.

Thanks.

Tried for another 10K run today with the intention of getting it done in 60 minutes flat or better but as I hit the 4K mark a huge thunder storm (with the emphasis on thunder) appeared suddenly so I had to cut the run short. Dang, and I was running what was so far my fastest pace despite the stitch I carried for the first couple of kilometres. Ah well, it's better than nothing.

turnbuckle

Had shoulder surgery a few months back and it sapped my enthusiasm for staying in shape since so much of my hobbies include the use of my shoulder (racquetball, rock climbing, basketball, lifting weights, and disc golf mainly). I'm still several months from being able to participate in any of those things but over the last month I decided to get off my ass and start getting myself in shape for when I'm finally able to.

I've been doing spinning classes twice a week and using the eliptical for 30-40 minutes 2-3 times a week for the past 5 weeks, but I would prefer getting off the eliptical and back onto the treadmill (or track / sidewalk when the weather improves).

Yesterday was the first time I decided to devote my time exclusively to the treadmill. Nothing impressive (had to stop or slow way down several times) but I stuck with it long enough to hit 4 miles in about 55 minutes. I should be able to do a bit better than that if I keep the elevation on the treadmill at 0, but I have long way to go.

Just posting and subscribing to the thread in hopes that it can motivate me on days when I feel like skipping out of laziness. :p

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Woke up early yesterday for a morning 10k (which I enjoyed, who knew getting up early for a run was a pleasurable experience?) and sustained my first running injury... a chaffed nipple! It may sound humorous (my wife certainly laughed) but it stung to buggery in the shower.

kottila

My dealer said my regular shoe went out of production (saucony omni 10) and convinced me to try something with a smaller offset (from 12 down to 8 mm). I went for it and got the Saucony Guide 5, which will hopefully give me less knee impact. The last time I changed shoe type, it took me two months with a lot of pain before I had to buy a new pair of the omnis. Hopefully these will be better on my feet. Otherwise I have to buy a truck load of omni 10s online before they all disappear.

TwiztidElf

Woke up early yesterday for a morning 10k (which I enjoyed, who knew getting up early for a run was a pleasurable experience?) and sustained my first running injury... a chaffed nipple! It may sound humorous (my wife certainly laughed) but it stung to buggery in the shower.
It just gets worse with distance. Wait till they're bleeding. A lot of marathon runners put band-aids over them.

Last year I ran the LA marathon with no training. It was a hellish experience, but incredibly rewarding. This year I've been trying to train, but have been doing so very poorly. Any recommendations on how to be motivated to train?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Anybody else doing the Austin marathon?

I'll be doing it for the 2nd time this weekend. I'm hoping I'll do much better than last year in which I was cramping for 10+ miles. Although, I haven't trained very much since thanksgiving since I got hurt running a 10k.

Chafed nipples are so easy to prevent. Just take the 30 seconds to apply band aids or duct tape or whatever. It's always worth it, because that pain suuuuuuucks

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Did a small run today of 5k. I managed a personal best of 5:46 per km. It's nothing impressive but I'm glad that I've managed to break below the 6 minute mark. I ran the last km at just under 5 min per km so hopefully my times will continue to improve.

Had a scary bruise on the top of my foot after last Saturday's run that I was concerned could be a stress fracture. Since that is nothing to mess around with and I was 6 weeks into marathon training I went right to a podiatrist. Thankfully he ruled out stress fracture and thought I tweaked a tendon. I babied it for most of the week, bought two new pair of shoes that are more supportive than my New Balance MT10s, and kept it wrapped up. With the podiatrist's clearance I was back on track with a 14 mile training run yesterday. Had little to no foot issues as well, talk about being relieved. It wold be crushing to get a training ending injury.

My new shoes are New Balance 890s v3 and Saucony Virattas, both offer much more cushion and control than my previous shoes.

Necrovex

Hello Running Gaf (I forgot a running-gaf even existed), I have started the couch to 5K training program. I am preparing myself for the military, so when I complete this program, I plan to knock it up to 10k. So, I should be busy for a good number of weeks.I run three days a week. So, will I see some significant improvement regarding my cardio abilities?

Also, I have another question. When I run sometimes, I get these awful stomach cramps. I have tried to figure out what the cause is. I breathe in deeply during my runs now, and I try my best to avoid running until four hours has passed since I last ate (I am going to start running in the morning when it stops being so darn cold). Does anyone have anything else to suggest to avoid these cramps?

Also, has anyone tried these shoes? I need to replace my four year running shoes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058XPSUQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Hello Running Gaf (I forgot a running-gaf even existed), I have started the couch to 5K training program. I am preparing myself for the military, so when I complete this program, I plan to knock it up to 10k. So, I should be busy for a good number of weeks.I run three days a week. So, will I see some significant improvement regarding my cardio abilities?

Also, I have another question. When I run sometimes, I get these awful stomach cramps. I have tried to figure out what the cause is. I breathe in deeply during my runs now, and I try my best to avoid running until four hours has passed since I last ate (I am going to start running in the morning when it stops being so darn cold). Does anyone have anything else to suggest to avoid these cramps?

Also, has anyone tried these shoes? I need to replace my four year running shoes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058XPSUQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You will become way more aerobically fit, so don't worry about that. I had stomach issues when I started back as well and I found that I had to limit my eating to four hours before the run like you, and I had to make sure I drank more water during the day before the run. That seemed to clear my issues up. As far as running shoes, I would go to a specialty running store and have them look at your stride so they can get you in a pair of shoes that fit your running style.

Trickytoon

Neo Member
I've reached a bit of an impasse with my running and I'm looking for some advice.

I started running regularly about 3 years ago and in that time I've done numerous 10k runs, and in November successfully completed the Great South Run (a UK event) which is a 10 mile course. My problem is that my average pace isn't going down at all - I'm averaging about 9 min miles across a 10k and 10 min miles for the Great South run.

I think this is down to my training, are there any specific tips anyone has for mixing up my training schedule and working on my pace? I run 3 times a week, my long run at the moment is a 7 miler with 2 x 3 mile runs before work.

I've reached a bit of an impasse with my running and I'm looking for some advice.

I started running regularly about 3 years ago and in that time I've done numerous 10k runs, and in November successfully completed the Great South Run (a UK event) which is a 10 mile course. My problem is that my average pace isn't going down at all - I'm averaging about 9 min miles across a 10k and 10 min miles for the Great South run.

I think this is down to my training, are there any specific tips anyone has for mixing up my training schedule and working on my pace? I run 3 times a week, my long run at the moment is a 7 miler with 2 x 3 mile runs before work.

From Hal Higdon's site:

Speedwork: If you want to race at a fast pace, you need to train at a fast pace. Interval training where you alternate fast running with jogging or walking is a very effective form of speedwork. The training schedule includes interval training featuring 800-meter reps (repeats) every other week, alternating with the tempo runs discussed above. Run the 800s at about the pace you would run in a 5-K race. Walk or jog between each repeat. Although the best venue for speedwork of this sort is on a 400-meter track, these workouts can be done on the road or on trails, either by using measured courses or by running hard approximately the length of time you would run a 400 or 800 on the track. For instance, if you normally run 800 reps in 3:30, do fast reps for that length of time and don't worry about distance. For more information on speed training, see my book, Run Fast.

Check out his site for some training programs that incorporate speed work. Plans are offered from 5k on up. Typically it's baked into his intermediate and up programs. Just know that it may increase your chance for injury.

Doodis

Nice to see a running thread in here. Currently nursing an injured foot (again) and this thread will be good motivation for me to get back into it.

Top Bottom