• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

TwiztidElf

It only been 3 days, and I already FUCKING LOVE IT. I can't stop thinking about running. I am so happy.
This deserves a bump to the top of the new page. Couldn't help but smile reading it, as it's exactly how I feel (except change days to years. :) ).
I can't belive it took me until I was 36 to discover how much I love to run.

East Lake

I greatly prefer to run outdoors, but things are getting nippy. Does GAF have recommendations for cold weather running gear?
You can probably get away with less than you'd expect. I'd look for stuff that has windstopper or something similar if you're in very cold temps. I personally have a hat with windstopper, some insulated/wind blocking pants and then just wear a hoodie with a couple layers under it. Gloves you don't have to go crazy with but wind stopping ability is nice. Also a real bitch is when your feet get wet in the cold, so maybe a waterprof shoe or go out on dry days and avoid water.

Kraftwerk

This deserves a bump to the top of the new page. Couldn't help but smile reading it, as it's exactly how I feel (except change days to years. :) ).
I can't belive it took me until I was 36 to discover how much I love to run.

Same here.

As I stated in my first post, as a cyclist, I was ignorant to running. I assumed that it would not benefit me in any way, since I bike. Man I was wrong.

EDIT:

Getting this baby tomorrow :

Forerunner 910XT

Zbg6Xl.jpg

I work in a bike/shop company. So I get it at cost, and an additional 15-20% OFF. BWAHAHAH

Finally found this thread :). I started the year with shoulder surgery and have had a bunch of minor leg injuries then kept my training from going anywhere for most of the year. Right now I'm working up to Richmond Marathon (November 10th). Things are looking better now and I'm finally feeling mostly healthy. I did 3:27 at Richmond last year so I'm setting a goal of 3:20 for this year. I'm not running Marine Corps Marathon this year, so that should help.

So having hurt my Achilles about 2 and half weeks ago on a stop-start 8 miler I took a week off because I had a 10k race the following Sunday. Hobbling and so on for most of the week but felt ok for the race. Unfortunately it's a hilly bastard and I have rehobbled myself. So I'm currently suffering through an at least 2 week lay off and more likely 3.

Frustrated isn't the word, let's hope my usual bionic healing powers kick in soon.

Shoes that I got today :

New Balance Minimus Zero Road

Y7Dnl.jpg

Tried on a dozen different models, and these felt the best. I am completely happy with my decision. Extremely comfortable, and they feel very natural.

Question: do you guys run with a fuel belt, or just carry a water bottle with you?

Happy running gaf!

The Minimus are on my short list to try, but I'm waiting to kick some lingering plantar fasciitis before really experimenting. Glad you like them. Right now I'm rotating Brooks PureFlow, PureGrit and PureConnect as well as Saucony Kinvara 2's (haven't needed to buy a pair of 3's yet).

As for the question (knowing you posted it over a week ago lol), I pretty much carry a water bottle with me all the time. I even do that on half/full marathons since I know what's in my water bottle won't make me sick to my stomach ;). For any runs 13 miles and up I'll wear a belt with some gels stashed in it

lush

Went 7.2 miles today at a 10 minute pace today which is the farthest I've gone since I started doing the whole running thing consistently or ever gone to be honest. Was pretty stoked about it, I wanted to go for 10 but I didn't want to overdo it considering that's over double what I normally do plus it's a hilly course. Felt absolutely fantastic after I finished my 3rd mile and my miles got quicker and quicker as I went on. My feet both still get completely numb after the first mile but I regained feeling after a mile or so. I really need to get to a running shop already. Ready to get back out there, probably try to hit double digits on a run next week. I was originally shooting for the half here in my city which is next April but I'm going to go for the full marathon now I think. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I'd could pull off a half right now at that pace. Might sign up for a 10K though just so I can get an actual race out of the way though.

Need to get some shoes, socks, and some new shirts. Running in cotton shirts is awful, better off just going shirtless. Need to get a wristband for my phone as well and some headphones for running.

I really like going for distance honestly, but I do believe I'll throw in some interval training once I pick a race.

kottila

First time since April I managedl to run 10km om the road without kneepain. Set a new PB at 47min as well, so I've set a lokal halv marathon in April as my new goal (hopefully 1:40). I only excercise outside, so hopping for an ateisme winter

Holy hell! I just did my third half marathon, at exactly 1 hour 45 minutes! It was pretty hilly too, which makes me wonder how much faster i could be on a flat course.

I did 1:54 in April and 1:49 in June. It might be time to take it easy for a while. Feels good, man.

Holy hell! I just did my third half marathon, at exactly 1 hour 45 minutes! It was pretty hilly too, which makes me wonder how much faster i could be on a flat course.

I did 1:54 in April and 1:49 in June. It might be time to take it easy for a while. Feels good, man.

That is damn good. I did 13.8miles in about 1:51 ...
I have yet to try a half in a race setting, that would probably improve my time a bit i imagine.
Also i would not have to worry about traffic.

Just completed my first half marathon in Cardiff. Did it in 1 hour 28 Minutes. My Medal broke

about 5 minutes afterwards and in my goody bag was a can of non-alcoholic beer. Strange.

D6AMIA6N

Ran the Chicago Marathon last Sunday in 3:57. Better then my Atlanta Marathon time from last October of 4:07. Great race, course, crowds and of course city. If anyone is thinking of running a marathon, Chicago is flat and really well organized. Today I get back on the horse in preparation for the Atlanta Half Marathon November 22nd. Keep running GAF!

Ran the Chicago Marathon last Sunday in 3:57. Better then my Atlanta Marathon time from last October of 4:07. Great race, course, crowds and of course city. If anyone is thinking of running a marathon, Chicago is flat and really well organized. Today I get back on the horse in preparation for the Atlanta Half Marathon November 22nd. Keep running GAF!

Congrats on the PR! I've heard good things about Chicago...at least the weather was good this year. I'll give that some thought for next year so long as I don't spend a lot more time injured like this year.

So having hurt my Achilles about 2 and half weeks ago on a stop-start 8 miler I took a week off because I had a 10k race the following Sunday. Hobbling and so on for most of the week but felt ok for the race. Unfortunately it's a hilly bastard and I have rehobbled myself. So I'm currently suffering through an at least 2 week lay off and more likely 3.

Frustrated isn't the word, let's hope my usual bionic healing powers kick in soon.

I've been working through a chest cold, knee pain, and some achilles pain which has kept me sidelined for two weeks straight. I'll probably have to take this week off too. It's driving me mad!

Hopefully your bionic powers have got you back in order by now.

Edit - Also, congrats to the recent marathon and half-marathon finishers :)

deadlast

Running GAF I need your help.
My wife wants a music playlist for when she runs. She doesn't like good music, so I have no clue what wants. Do you guys have any suggestions for music that a woman in her late twenties would like?

Also, This morning I ran my 3 miles in 20mins 45 secs.

My wife wants a music playlist for when she runs. She doesn't like good music, so I have no clue what wants. Do you guys have any suggestions for music that a woman in her late twenties would like?

Also, This morning I ran my 3 miles in 20mins 45 secs.

Well what is she using? An iPod, or her phone? Is she limited to music that she already owns?

I use the Spotify app with my iPhone when running and it opens up the ability to run with a lot of music I'd like to hear while running, but not actually spend money on owning.

Cyan

Banned

That's incredibly vague.

How about an audiobook or podcasts?

deadlast

Well what is she using? An iPod, or her phone? Is she limited to music that she already owns?

I use the Spotify app with my iPhone when running and it opens up the ability to run with a lot of music I'd like to hear while running, but not actually spend money on owning.

I keep suggesting apps. She want to put music on her phone. She listens to top40 music. So I assume anything in that genera.

I also suggested audio books. But was shot down.

Thanks again

I keep suggesting apps. She want to put music on her phone. She listens to top40 music. So I assume anything in that genera.

I also suggested audio books. But was shot down.

Thanks again

I'm telling you - Spotify. For $10 a month, she can subscribe to a million different top40 playlists people have already created, and they will sync to her phone. I couldn't live without it now.

I'm telling you - Spotify. For $10 a month, she can subscribe to a million different top40 playlists people have already created, and they will sync to her phone. I couldn't live without it now.

This is a good suggestion or if you'd like to be a troll you can give her nothing but Two Steps From Hell and Dragonforce.

Hey Gaf, I don't poke my head in this thread often, but I was a former high school and collegiate XC and track athlete. I've run in races of all different lengths, from 800m up to 8k. My training has varied from 40 - 50 mile weeks with an emphasis on speed and fast-twitch muscle fiber development, to weeks of 70, 80, and 90 miles focusing on lactate threshold and mile repeat workouts. I'm not nearly as hardcore about running as I once was, but I'm happy to poke around and help out in this thread! Of if anyone has any questions on training, racing, gear, etc, feel free to ask away.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Hey Gaf, I don't poke my head in this thread often, but I was a former high school and collegiate XC and track athlete. I've run in races of all different lengths, from 800m up to 8k. My training has varied from 40 - 50 mile weeks with an emphasis on speed and fast-twitch muscle fiber development, to weeks of 70, 80, and 90 miles focusing on lactate threshold and mile repeat workouts. I'm not nearly as hardcore about running as I once was, but I'm happy to poke around and help out in this thread! Of if anyone has any questions on training, racing, gear, etc, feel free to ask away.

What college? PRs? And do you visit LetsRun :p?

shira

Can you use your rear diaphragm for breathing? What exercises do you recommend?
What do you do for tibialis anterior training?
Are you able to adduct your big toe when striking?
Do you have any experience in "as slow as possible" training?
What exercises help to inhibit IT band syndome?
Are you able to relax your iliopsoas?

What college? PRs? And do you visit LetsRun :p?

I went to Elizabethtown College in PA. It's a small DIII liberal arts school. Nothing fancy, but we were competitive on a regional and national scale as far as DIII schools go.

Some of my PRs are nothing to write home about. =)

800 -- 2:00 (I only ran this twice in college on a relay teams)
1500 - 4:10
3000 - 9:27
5k - Never got to run this in college, but in hs xc my PR was in the 16:30s. But I don't think that the course was a legit 3.1
8k (cross) - 28:34.

I never visited letsrun much in college, but a lot of my teammates were obsessed with it. I actually went on a few runs with Weldon Johnson a few times during a summer spent training in Flagstaff. Very cool dude.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I went to Elizabethtown College in PA. It's a small DIII liberal arts school. Nothing fancy, but we were competitive on a regional and national scale as far as DIII schools go.

Some of my PRs are nothing to write home about. =)

800 -- 2:00 (I only ran this twice in college on a relay teams)
1500 - 4:10
3000 - 9:27
5k - Never got to run this in college, but in hs xc my PR was in the 16:30s. But I don't think that the course was a legit 3.1
8k (cross) - 28:34.

I never visited letsrun much in college, but a lot of my teammates were obsessed with it. I actually went on a few runs with Weldon Johnson a few times during a summer spent training in Flagstaff. Very cool dude.

Nice man. I ran two years in high school and just started back after a nine year break. I'm trying to relive the glory days, so to speak. I'm also a track geek so I read LetsRun daily.

Cyan

Banned
Can you use your rear diaphragm for breathing? What exercises do you recommend?
What do you do for tibialis anterior training?
Are you able to adduct your big toe when striking?
Do you have any experience in "as slow as possible" training?
What exercises help to inhibit IT band syndome?
Are you able to relax your iliopsoas?

Wow, I have no idea what most of these even mean.

Heh, I'll probably need some advice. I've had every common running injury in the book this year as well as shoulder surgery. I've been mostly better lately, just working on my mileage base back up for now in time for the Richmond Marathon. I'd like to do a 3:20 but given my training lately 3:30 to 3:40 might be more realistic (3:27 last year, also my marathon PR).

I'm also looking to do some 50k's next year. North Face Endurance Challenge looks like a good candidate.

Beyond that I'd like to also do a sub 20 min 5k. My best is 22 minutes so my speed will need some work. That'll be a project for next year.

BTW, I never ran in high school or college...didn't really get into it until a few years ago. I was fat and lazy growing up...wish I could go back and change it. But whatevs, I love running now so I guess that's what matters.

Heh, I'll probably need some advice. I've had every common running injury in the book this year as well as shoulder surgery. I've been mostly better lately, just working on my mileage base back up for now in time for the Richmond Marathon. I'd like to do a 3:20 but given my training lately 3:30 to 3:40 might be more realistic (3:27 last year, also my marathon PR).

I'm also looking to do some 50k's next year. North Face Endurance Challenge looks like a good candidate.

Beyond that I'd like to also do a sub 20 min 5k. My best is 22 minutes so my speed will need some work. That'll be a project for next year.

BTW, I never ran in high school or college...didn't really get into it until a few years ago. I was fat and lazy growing up...wish I could go back and change it. But whatevs, I love running now so I guess that's what matters.

As long as you're loving what you're doing now, then that's all that matters! Not running in high school and college just means that your muscles and joints have taken less abuse up to this point.

It sounds like you have some great goals for yourself. My best piece of advice as you work your way through injuries and begin to build up your mileage is to listen to your body. Know when you're taking it too far and respond accordingly. It's better to take one or two days off now and then rather than incur serious injury and set yourself back weeks/months.

As long as you're loving what you're doing now, then that's all that matters! Not running in high school and college just means that your muscles and joints have taken less abuse up to this point.

It sounds like you have some great goals for yourself. My best piece of advice as you work your way through injuries and begin to build up your mileage is to listen to your body. Know when you're taking it too far and respond accordingly. It's better to take one or two days off now and then rather than incur serious injury and set yourself back weeks/months.

Thanks :). I've been following Higdon's Intermediate 2 plan to get my mileage back this cycle, right now at peak mileage. Well, supposedly since this week hasn't gone quite according to plan but I've got 10 miles tonight then I'll do my third and final 20 miler on Sunday. Richmond is in three weeks so I think I'm good to go. I knocked out my first sub 7 min mile in ages the other day on a tempo run, so all I have to do is repeat that 26 times for a Boston qualifying time :p.

Cyan

Banned
My best piece of advice as you work your way through injuries and begin to build up your mileage is to listen to your body. Know when you're taking it too far and respond accordingly. It's better to take one or two days off now and then rather than incur serious injury and set yourself back weeks/months.

Man, so true. I have made this mistake, and more than once. :/

Beyond that I'd like to also do a sub 20 min 5k
. My best is 22 minutes so my speed will need some work. That'll be a project for next year.

You're essentially me from a year ago with those goals :). I knocked off both the Mt. Taylor 50K this past year and my fastest 5K yet (19:58). Honestly I don't think that I would have gotten the sub-20 5K if a couple of other runners didn't pass me in the last mile and pure rage (not really rage, but I'm a competitive guy) made me sprint past them all for the finish. Good luck with hitting them all. You do sound quite a bit more planned and prepared than I am. I pretty much just get out the door and run outside, I don't really keep track of times and mileage or have any specific training plan.

Chris R

Anyone have suggestions for a decent starter shoe for winter running (ice/packed snow)? Just bought a bunch of clothing but I need a shoe suggestion to round out the kit. Never been much of a runner before but hope to get in decent shape over the next few months by keeping at it.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Anyone have suggestions for a decent starter shoe for winter running (ice/packed snow)? Just bought a bunch of clothing but I need a shoe suggestion to round out the kit. Never been much of a runner before but hope to get in decent shape over the next few months by keeping at it.

I'd suggest trying some trail shoes, since they'll have more rubber for traction and thicker upper for the cold.

And if it's really snowy out you can try yaktrax https://www.yaktrax.com/product/run

Just make sure you're not planning a run that will be a mix of snow/ice and road - your feet will hate you.

robox

recently started running, after dislocating my wrists and not being able to bike.
i went from 5k to 10k over about 3 months, running about twice a week.
i use strava on my phone to track, a carryover from cycling days

my goals:
build endurance, not get cramps
run a really fast 10k.
run a marathon.

i still don't like running. but it's easier to get out for a run in the evenings, than to take the bike out, where visibility is vastly more important.

D6AMIA6N

How is everyone doing?

Ran the Atlanta Half Marathon together with my wife on Thanksgiving and set another PR, 1:42! Keep grindin' GAF!

EDIT: Damn just reading through some recent posts, fast people in here!

I'm going out for a jog/run (+ bike ride to the track & some own weight exercises).

All in shorts at 2°/35F. I am going to die :(

Are there any non-"pantyhose" alternatives for running?

/edit
Ok, I survived :O
brrr

I mean I'd still like to run in the cold, but not in those skin-tight pants :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I've just started running as I'm now on my cut. This is basically what I'm doing. 2 days a week I'm running on the treadmill for 60 minutes. Mixed walking and light jogging. Then the other days I'm lifting and adding 15-20 of the same style of cardio. I'd like to keep getting better at it and actually run a real 5k in the spring. That would be really cool. But yea right now I'm using running as a tool to lose weight.

I'm going out for a jog/run (+ bike ride to the track & some own weight exercises).

All in shorts at 2°/35F. I am going to die :(

Are there any non-"pantyhose" alternatives for running?

/edit
Ok, I survived :O
brrr

I mean I'd still like to run in the cold, but not in those skin-tight pants :(

I'd recommend something that protects you from the wind first and foremost. Your legs will get warm after a few minutes anyways.

Also don't get your dick frozen. It's seriously unpleasant.

Chris R

First time running tonight, don't have all the layered clothing I'd really want but I got enough of it to try even though it was basically 0F outside. Going to be fun to see my times improve. Is a 30 min 5k a realistic goal for a beginner or should I set my goal for an even slower 5k?

zhengjie89

Neo Member
First time running tonight, don't have all the layered clothing I'd really want but I got enough of it to try even though it was basically 0F outside. Going to be fun to see my times improve. Is a 30 min 5k a realistic goal for a beginner or should I set my goal for an even slower 5k?

Probably need a longer time. Take it slow.
If you can talk and run at the same time comfortably that is your average speed.

Chris R

Probably need a longer time. Take it slow.
If you can talk and run at the same time comfortably that is your average speed.

Ok well whatever, I'll continue to work at it (running without walking for 5k will be my first goal I guess then, with no time in mind).

Top Bottom