• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

kottila

my knees still not happy with my running, anyone know if these things go over bythemselves with enough rest (not that I'm any good at resting them), or do you need therapy. I tried one appointment with a physiotherapist, but she was very young and didn't seem to know much about jogging, so I didn't return.

kottila

That is a great time for such hilly terrain on the half. I can only manage 1:51 on the streets and can't imagine keeping that pace climbing to those elevations.
5k:19:40
10K: 45:26
1M: 6:03

The course on the graph took about 2:45 as far as I remember, the hilly half marathon, although containing some elevation, wasn't anywhere near that bad

Mudkips

Banned
I have zero experience running/jogging.

I did 2.3 miles of jogging on a treadmill on Sunday and then went walking out around the beach for a couple miles and now my shins hurt if I flex my ankle up or down. Is this just muscle soreness and does it go away or am I already dead? Also how would I avoid this in the future and how many days a week should I jog if I'm just starting out?

I run 10 miles, 4 times a week. It's pretty good because I eat mostly what I want without having to worry about my weight.

I've been doing it for about 3 years now and it's become an addiction. I think that's the key for people who can't seem to

stick with it. If you can manage to get into a routine for 2/3 months, you'll be set. The guilt you'll feel if you don't run

will make sure you do.

Does anyone use a gps watch? Any good?

kottila

I run 10 miles, 4 times a week. It's pretty good because I eat mostly what I want without having to worry about my weight.

I've been doing it for about 3 years now and it's become an addiction. I think that's the key for people who can't seem to

stick with it. If you can manage to get into a routine for 2/3 months, you'll be set. The guilt you'll feel if you don't run

will make sure you do.

Does anyone use a gps watch? Any good?

I use the Garmin 105 forerunner. Pretty basic stuff, but good enough for me as I use it mostly to track distances and time.

I did 2.3 miles of jogging on a treadmill on Sunday and then went walking out around the beach for a couple miles and now my shins hurt if I flex my ankle up or down. Is this just muscle soreness and does it go away or am I already dead? Also how would I avoid this in the future and how many days a week should I jog if I'm just starting out?

Probably just some soreness. Do not increase your mileage too fast, that is a sure recipe for injury. In addition to normal runs, you can add in some interval runs (4x4 min + warm up and cool down is the "standard").

Hey guys, my girlfriend and I started this random jogging program I found online back in June. Here's the chart:

(click for big)
4LwQz.jpg

We're on Week 7 now and things are going smoothly, but I'm wondering what we should do when we finish. Any suggestions? We're still definitely amateur runners/joggers, but I definitely want to keep it up next month.

Thanks for the help.

I just kept it at the same level for a while, with half-hour runs three times a week. Once I got bored of that I started mixing it up, slowly increasing the length on some runs, sometimes going for shorter runs as well, or running extra hilly routes. Keep it fun!

Congratulations anyways.

Given you were walking on the beach it's probably just some soreness but it could also be the onset of shin splints. Do you run on concrete/asphalt or is mostly just on the treadmill? If you run on hard surfaces try to run on softer surfaces while you're getting started (dirt, grass, etc) and then transition to harder ones after you get in shape. Are your shoes good quality and relatively new? Make sure they are running shoes, and not just regular "trainers".

Lastly, a good trick to help you through shin pain would be to sit in a chair, lift your feet off the ground, and draw the alphabet with your toes. Make the letters very exaggerated. Start with capital letters, then add lowercase as it gets easy. This will strengthen the muscles around your shins and will alleviate some of the pain.

Cyan

Banned
Hey guys, my girlfriend and I started this random jogging program I found online back in June. Here's the chart:

(click for big)

We're on Week 7 now and things are going smoothly, but I'm wondering what we should do when we finish. Any suggestions? We're still definitely amateur runners/joggers, but I definitely want to keep it up next month.

Thanks for the help.

Right on! Got any goals in mind? 10k, half-marathon? Getting faster, getting more distance? Just keeping your hand in?

Without that, it's kind of hard to tell you what you should do next. Personally, I'd probably find a distance that works well in enjoyability and convenience and then stick with it, unless you're planning to train for something in particular. Or maybe switch it up with some trail-running, or otherwise running in interesting places.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Started running again, used to do XC and track in high school. Been back at it for about a month. I jumped in headfirst with some minimalist shoes (Kinvara) and paid the price. My achilles on my right foot was very sore and I had to stop for almost 2 weeks. So word of warning for anyone looking to run in low heel drop/minimalist shoes. Ease into them!

Bought some normal running shoes and after consistent icing on the achilles, I'm feeling good. Did a hard mile today to see where I'm at fitness wise and I've got a lot of work to do. Anyone else training for 5k's this fall? Also trying to find a track to run on in Raleigh is a bitch.

So I'm back from vacation and making my usual trail run home through the woods, when suddenly I feel someone punch me and grab me by the hair. In panic and alarm I yell and throw my hands up to my head, where I realize that whatever is on my head is soft and rather smaller than a person. I whip my hands forward and my unwanted passenger flips forward off of me, unfurls its wings in midair and soars up into the nearest tree, hooting at me. Freaking overprotective momma Great Horned Owl figured that I was too close to her nest and went after me. Scratched out a bit of my scalp with one of her talons.

So yeah, keep your head on a swivel if you like to run in the woods in the Pacific Northwest during nesting season I guess. Anyone else had any wildlife encounters while running?

Cheech

Anyone else training for 5k's this fall? Also trying to find a track to run on in Raleigh is a bitch.

Yep. Being a bigger dude, I started off the opposite of you, in giant motion control NB 1012s. Ran in those for about a year, and when it was time for new shoes I went to a running shop. Man, I should have done that from the start. After watching my stride, the guy said the NB was way too much shoe, and I would do myself a big favor by going with just a normal stability shoe instead.

I'm now running in Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12s, and doing MUCH better speedwise.

I have a 5K in two weeks, and still being fairly new, I'm trying to crack 30 minutes. I did one over July 4th and came in 34:23. So, yeah, no speed demon. Right now I'm using Runmeter on my phone to keep my pace a bit slower so I can last the duration, but thanks to the new shoes I've been able to go substantially faster without as much effort. Maybe it's just a mental thing, who knows, but I'm just hoping to beat my neighbor who is running it with me (her pace is also around the 10 minute range).

As far as local tracks, I go to my local high school's track. They leave it open to the public until 7a every morning, so I usually go from 6-7. It's early, but I'm getting over a bit of Runner's Knee so the track is far easier on my knees than concrete.

Leucrota

Started my first season of Div III college XC. Ran for two months at beginning of summer, started a job, than didnt run for about 2 months until preseason started on Aug 20. Now doing between 6-10 miles a day, with some days of interval training, strength training, and/or pilates and isolated stretching.

Was not a good idea to stop running. My quads were so sore for 4 straight days is sucked even walking.

Question: My quads get real sore, but for any of my other muscles, they dont get sore at all. I have really tight hamstrings though, not from running just in general. Like I can barely even make a straight leg with it in the air and I am lying on my back. Are my tight hamstrings possibly keeping me from getting the full potential out of my calf muscles? I never feel like I am using them, only my quads.

lush

What running apps do you guys recommend/use for tracking your distance/times/routes/etc? Heard good things about MapMyRun, Endomondo, and Nike+.

Had no idea there was a GAF running thread. I've been running off and on for a few years now. Just getting back in to regularly running here this past month, just casual, 12-15 miles a week at a slow/comfortable pace. Decided I'd like to get more in to it, I'd like to run a 10K here in the near future, then be ready for either the half or marathon here in April(probably just half).

Started running again, used to do XC and track in high school. Been back at it for about a month. I jumped in headfirst with some minimalist shoes (Kinvara) and paid the price. My achilles on my right foot was very sore and I had to stop for almost 2 weeks. So word of warning for anyone looking to run in low heel drop/minimalist shoes. Ease into them!

Bought some normal running shoes and after consistent icing on the achilles, I'm feeling good. Did a hard mile today to see where I'm at fitness wise and I've got a lot of work to do. Anyone else training for 5k's this fall? Also trying to find a track to run on in Raleigh is a bitch.

This. Hurt my front foot running with more minimalist shoes. Took 6-8 months to recover because I kept running on and off during it. Go normal and ease in.

Necrovex

I'm a little curious if any Gaffers are planning to do the Walt Disney Marathon in mid- January?

I am planning to do this marathon, and this will be my first one. 26 miles within seven hours. I have started to train myself for it. At the moment, I'm simply running on a 10% incline and hitting 2.5 miles. My ultimate goal is to get to 15% incline and hitting 3 miles before the marathon.

Started my first season of Div III college XC. Ran for two months at beginning of summer, started a job, than didnt run for about 2 months until preseason started on Aug 20. Now doing between 6-10 miles a day, with some days of interval training, strength training, and/or pilates and isolated stretching.

Was not a good idea to stop running. My quads were so sore for 4 straight days is sucked even walking.

Question: My quads get real sore, but for any of my other muscles, they dont get sore at all. I have really tight hamstrings though, not from running just in general. Like I can barely even make a straight leg with it in the air and I am lying on my back. Are my tight hamstrings possibly keeping me from getting the full potential out of my calf muscles? I never feel like I am using them, only my quads.

We start conditioning for track on Monday, it'll be my third season and I'm still nervous haha.

And talk to your trainers about what's going on. Tight hamstrings can mess a lot of things up, I'm the same way and I had to work all summer to get more flexible. Also, they'll probably give you some strengthening exercise for your quads

What running apps do you guys recommend/use for tracking your distance/times/routes/etc? Heard good things about MapMyRun, Endomondo, and Nike+.

Had no idea there was a GAF running thread. I've been running off and on for a few years now. Just getting back in to regularly running here this past month, just casual, 12-15 miles a week at a slow/comfortable pace. Decided I'd like to get more in to it, I'd like to run a 10K here in the near future, then be ready for either the half or marathon here in April(probably just half).

I use a Garmin Forerunner to take care of that for myself. They just launched a new budget Forerunner 10 model (still $129) that looks great. That may be something to consider splurging on when you start training harder.

Cyan

Banned
This. Hurt my front foot running with more minimalist shoes. Took 6-8 months to recover because I kept running on and off during it. Go normal and ease in.

Shit, I did ease in and I still hurt myself. Might try them again in a few years when we know a bit more about them.

Runkeeper works for me. Sometimes if you're running in urban areas the sat-nav goes all wonky so you'll have to go in and edit the route but overally it works well. They've done an update I think which does make the GPS more accurate.

So did my longest ever run on Sunday evening, a steady 12.6 miles down the local canal towpath. Took 2hrs and 3mins but I was taking it really steady at 9:45 pace. Felt good if a but pooped towards the end. Anything further and I'm going to have to invest in some gels or something for a energy boost over the last few miles, they hurt.

Then yesterday managed to set a new PB for a 10k at 55:16. Same canal towpath and my legs were still pretty out of it from the long Sunday run so I know there's more in the tank, also I walked the first 1/4 mile and did the rest of the first mile at about 7min/mile pace so was butchered afterwards. I can smell 54 and probably a bit lower.

deadlast

So I have been running off and on for years now. This summer I started trying to run faster since I can only run before work, on a treadmill. My current run schedule is 2 short runs on Monday and Tuesday; Thursday is a medium run ; Saturday is my long run.

I would like to run outside, but I hate running outside. I like watching my progress and all of the other data that I get from running on a treadmill. So I think I should get into this nike+ thing. How do I get started? Do I have to have nike shoes or can I use any shoes?

kottila

So I have been running off and on for years now. This summer I started trying to run faster since I can only run before work, on a treadmill. My current run schedule is 2 short runs on Monday and Tuesday; Thursday is a medium run ; Saturday is my long run.

I would like to run outside, but I hate running outside. I like watching my progress and all of the other data that I get from running on a treadmill. So I think I should get into this nike+ thing. How do I get started? Do I have to have nike shoes or can I use any shoes?

You don't really need anything other than a watch to start with. If you use mapmyrun for example you can create routes on a map and then plot your times manually.

bro1

Banned

For Nike+ you have 2 choices. You can use just the iPhone app with GPS or the iPhone app with the chip (any shoe is fine, just by the lace attachment). I prefer the GPS as it's more accurate.

deadlast

@kottila
I don't have a watch. :(

@nerdy1
I don't have an ipod/iphone. So I need to buy the nike+ thingie, a nike+ band/watch, and a lace clip.

Thanks

@kottila
I don't have a watch. :(

@nerdy1
I don't have an ipod/iphone. So I need to buy the nike+ thingie, a nike+ band/watch, and a lace clip.

Thanks

Literally just buy a watch. You can get some 80s Casio number for about £10. Then plan some routes on roads that are a known mileage and off you go. Don't spunk cash on all that shite.

As an aside I've managed to hurt my Achilles 6 days before a 10k. This'll be a fun race...

oktarb

Total noob to running. I'm 6.1" and about 220 lbs. Right now I've ben running the "5K Runner" app and its been going fine. On week three. I recently downloaded the Nike+ app and bout the 20 buck shoe pod but man that shit got confusing fast. From what I'm gathering the Nike+ app can work without the pod and now I have another app "Nike + iPod" app that uses that shoe pod. Not really sure yet but worst case scenario just run.

Any good recommendations for a good running shoe at a fairly cheap price? Think college student budget. I want to get back into running and definitely need new shoes.

I also think I'll set myself a goal of running a 5k in the spring...

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Any good recommendations for a good running shoe at a fairly cheap price? Think college student budget. I want to get back into running and definitely need new shoes.

I also think I'll set myself a goal of running a 5k in the spring...

You should go to your local running shoe store and try on some pairs. It's a good idea to find a shoe that fits your foot and your running style. The staff at the store can help with that. Once you find a shoe that works, you can look for cheaper deals online or find a similar cheaper shoe.

kottila

Literally just buy a watch. You can get some 80s Casio number for about £10. Then plan some routes on roads that are a known mileage and off you go. Don't spunk cash on all that shite.

As an aside I've managed to hurt my Achilles 6 days before a 10k. This'll be a fun race...

Or buy a GPS watch like Garmin Forerunner 10 (which I think is their cheapest model now). Makes stat-tracking just a little more complicated as you have to connect the watch to a computer (it stores the workouts so you can do it at your choosing).

I've woken up earlier than normal for the past 2 days now to go out and have a small jog. Considering my fitness level I assumed that going for longer distances or faster speed would actually kill me, but you gotta start somewhere.

I just wanted to have this on record so I would feel bad if I get lazy: I am going to keep this up.

deadlast

Or buy a GPS watch like Garmin Forerunner 10 (which I think is their cheapest model now). Makes stat-tracking just a little more complicated as you have to connect the watch to a computer (it stores the workouts so you can do it at your choosing).

I'm looking at buying one of these for my wife since she is running her first half marathon in October. We have also been looking at the forerunner 110.

deadlast

I've woken up earlier than normal for the past 2 days now to go out and have a small jog. Considering my fitness level I assumed that going for longer distances or faster speed would actually kill me, but you gotta start somewhere.

I just wanted to have this on record so I would feel bad if I get lazy: I am going to keep this up.

That's awesome. Keep it up and you will be able to do what ever you set out to do. At the beginning of the summer I could barely do 2 miles in 21 minutes, now I'm doing 2 miles in 14 minutes.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I ran a crazy nighttime 5K the other night. It was pretty much pitch black with only pinhead sized lights on the edge of the trail.

Most people had head lamps on, I carried a flashlight. Luckily the course was paved and gravel, but still a surreal experience.

I'll have my first "official" half-marathon completed this coming Sunday :) I say "official" as I've already done a 13 and 14 around a local lake. Can't wait to get it done.

I've come a long way since being happy with doing 9 consecutive laps out of 11 (11 = 1 mile) and never would've guessed back in May that I'd being doing a half-marathon in September.

I greatly prefer to run outdoors, but things are getting nippy. Does GAF have recommendations for cold weather running gear?

kottila

I'm looking at buying one of these for my wife since she is running her first half marathon in October. We have also been looking at the forerunner 110.

I have the 105, so maybe 110 is the updated version? The 10 looks a lot nicer and simpler which I guess many people would prefer.

Kraftwerk

I'm a cyclist, and have been thinking about doing triathlons for a while. I want to do my first one next summer. I pulled the trigger today on shoes and some comfy shirts, shorts.

Ran for 30 minutes. Felt really, really good. I know it is an insignificant time for some of you, but this was the first time that I have ever ran that much in my life. I'm going to slowly increase the time daily, as my body naturally progresses. Not going to force it.

Will be perfect for my triathlon training too, since I will be doing a mini-duathlon every night. I bike home from work everyday, which is 22km. Then I will start running.

Really happy that I started this. This thread did inspire me.

Shoes that I got today :

New Balance Minimus Zero Road

Y7Dnl.jpg

Tried on a dozen different models, and these felt the best. I am completely happy with my decision. Extremely comfortable, and they feel very natural.

Since I work for a bike shop/company, I'm going to get the Forerunner 910XT. I'm glad I waited to get my cycling computer. Was waiting for the Garmin 900 GPS, but whatever. The Forerunner makes more sense for my purposes now.

Question: do you guys run with a fuel belt, or just carry a water bottle with you?

Happy running gaf!

I'm trying to push my wife to get the 10, but now she wants a watch that does calories burned and gps.

Are you sure the 10 doesn't do calories burned? I know it apparently doesn't support a heart-rate monitor, but even when I don't wear my HRM with my higher-end Forerunner, I believe it still estimates calories burned via weight and distance.

Question: do you guys run with a fuel belt, or just carry a water bottle with you?

Happy running gaf!

I've been entertaining thoughts of a triatholon as well, but can't swim for shit. Maybe someday. Good luck with your training though :)

I haven't tried running with a fuel belt (perhaps if I train for a full marathon next year), but I do take a bottle of water with me on my longer runs (8-14 miles). I don't find it to be a bother at all, but I suppose others do.

kottila

I'm trying to push my wife to get the 10, but now she wants a watch that does calories burned and gps.

No HRM support on 10? Get another one then. It's fun to track your pulse.

Edit: I have a 2 bottle Nathan belt. Great belt, but expensive. hardly notice it when it's on, but wish I had gone for the 4 bottle version which is almost the same price (for long hikes)

Happy running gaf!

Depends on the distance. Anything up to about 8 miles I don't bother, anything further I'll take a water bottle and stash it a third of the way along and pick it up on the way back. I've not gone far enough yet to need any additional fuel (topped out at 12.5 miles at the mo). But if I was doing something like 15 miles or more I might take along a little something.

Kraftwerk

It only been 3 days, and I already FUCKING LOVE IT. I can't stop thinking about running. I am so happy. I had to run some errands today ( pun intended hehe), and Instead of taking my bike or public transit, I walked. I walked everywhere. Would have just jogged/ran if I didn't have to carry a bag.

Feels so good.

I SAID GODDAMN!!

lush

I concur. Went for my first run after taking a few days off after giving blood. Was going to do a casual 3 miles like usual. Felt great and kept going, ended up stopping at 5.2 miles. Didn't want to go overboard. I also have a problem where my feet go numb at 3 miles which sucks. Going to go to local running shop tomorrow and get some proper shoes. Stokes to get back out there though.

Started using the stationar bike for crosstraining purposes as well once a week.

Archon473

So anyone here do sprints? 100m and 200m specifically?

I do. On Sunday, I will run ten 100m sprints. I have not decided if I want to rest exactly one minute between sprints or just start a stopwatch and take off at the beginning of each minute, resting during the leftover time.

I've done a 200m push-up ladder as follows: Run 200m, 50 push-ups, run 200m, 45 push-ups, etc. down to the final 5.

3 rounds for time: Sprint 400m, 21 dips, 12 pull-ups (there are infinite variations on "run 400m, # pull-ups, + other movement).

4 rounds for time: Sprint 400m, 50 squats

4 rounds: Run 800m, rest 2 minutes

3 rounds for time: Run 800m, 21 handstand push-ups, 21 L pull-ups

Run 1 mile, rest 3 minutes; run 800m, rest 2 minutes; run 400m, rest 1 minute; run 200m

Top Bottom