• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Never knew this thread existed until now! I've gotten into running much more as of late. Doing more obstacle runs as far as races go, but I do hit the pavement when possible. Thinking about pumping up to a 10k, as the 5k ones are becoming pretty easy.

So injury-free now and back to piling on the miles.

Went out for my lunchtime 10k yesterday. Ice as fucking hades cold and I'm wearing the cycling-shorts-long-johns.

Motoring along but not going excessively fast.

About 5 miles in realise my thighs are becoming pretty cold so end up slowing a bit because it's all getting a bit weird.

Finish the 10k in 50m 41s (which is a new PB by 1m 30) and when I look at my splits I basically lost those 41s in the last mile and a bit.

Talk about pissed off, shattering the 50min barrier was within my grasp and I missed it.

Next time, Gadget, next time...

First time running tonight, don't have all the layered clothing I'd really want but I got enough of it to try even though it was basically 0F outside. Going to be fun to see my times improve. Is a 30 min 5k a realistic goal for a beginner or should I set my goal for an even slower 5k?

For a 5k that should be fine. You're only doing just a bit fast than 10min miles so it should be a piece of piss.

Just pace out at mile in 10mins and learn what it feels like and you'll be fine.

I'd recommend something that protects you from the wind first and foremost. Your legs will get warm after a few minutes anyways.

Also don't get your dick frozen. It's seriously unpleasant.

I missed your reply, sorry.

Thanks, I always care about my dick :)
At all temperatures below 10C/50F I got used to wearing a low-cut sock as a penis warmer otherwise I just can't stop reaching down & touching it, etc.
As for the rest: I'm currently looking for a running jacket and probably a pair of thermo shorts to wear them under regular shorts. That should do it for now.

But I'll never wear leggings, ever.

I missed your reply, sorry.

Thanks, I always care about my dick :)
At all temperatures below 10C/50F I got used to wearing a low-cut sock as a penis warmer otherwise I just can't stop reaching down & touching it, etc.
As for the rest: I'm currently looking for a running jacket and probably a pair of thermo shorts to wear them under regular shorts. That should do it for now.

But I'll never wear leggings, ever.

Leggings are the way forward my man. Makes you look glorious!

robox

what do y'all do for warmups? i just do a very very light jog to my starting point. maybe do a few squats. then just start my run off slowly.

i'm doing 10k and i still don't have proper shows. my feet were really hurt last time. this time was better. still need to get 'em shoes though! think i can go quicker with shoes, not having to nurse the pain as much.

what do y'all do for warmups? i just do a very very light jog to my starting point. maybe do a few squats. then just start my run off slowly.

i'm doing 10k and i still don't have proper shows. my feet were really hurt last time. this time was better. still need to get 'em shoes though! think i can go quicker with shoes, not having to nurse the pain as much.

I just go. The process of getting ready tends to be my warm up. Warming down however is vital otherwise you'll be locked up.

So i decided i will run my first marathon in 2013, which will also be my first time participating in a race event. OMG SO EXCITED.

I was going to pick the event depending on how much time i need to train. I'm seeing 16 week training plans, which seems kind of short? Four months to train for a marathon; i was expecting like six months at least.

I've been running for over three years and i can do 40 km (25 mi) per week no problem; i've done 60 once. Plenty of half marathons too.

So should i go for a 16 week plan or would i benefit from picking a longer one?

Also, is it a good idea to aim for a sub 4 hour marathon, or should i just focus on finishing the distance, since it's the first time? My best half marathon time is 1 hour 45 minutes, so numbers wise i could probably do sub 4 hours, but i know there's more to it than that. :)

Oh and i'm looking at the Jeff Gaudette training plans on Runkeeper, maybe someone has done one of those and could weigh in. Thanks.

Doytch

So i decided i will run my first marathon in 2013, which will also be my first time participating in a race event. OMG SO EXCITED.

I was going to pick the event depending on how much time i need to train. I'm seeing 16 week training plans, which seems kind of short? Four months to train for a marathon; i was expecting like six months at least.

I've been running for over three years and i can do 40 km (25 mi) per week no problem; i've done 60 once. Plenty of half marathons too.

So should i go for a 16 week plan or would i benefit from picking a longer one?

Also, is it a good idea to aim for a sub 4 hour marathon, or should i just focus on finishing the distance, since it's the first time? My best half marathon time is 1 hour 45 minutes, so numbers wise i could probably do sub 4 hours, but i know there's more to it than that. :)

Oh and i'm looking at the Jeff Gaudette training plans on Runkeeper, maybe someone has done one of those and could weigh in. Thanks.
I used the Hanson's plan for my first marathon which is 18 weeks. I ran a bit less than you in the prior few years (4-5 days a week, maybe 3-5mi a day), and I ran a 3:04 (was trying to BQ, did it by a minute.) Definitely set yourself some high goals, since they're totally doable. You don't need to do marathons for years before running a 3hr race. G'luck!

I used the Hanson's plan for my first marathon which is 18 weeks. I ran a bit less than you in the prior few years (4-5 days a week, maybe 3-5mi a day), and I ran a 3:04 (was trying to BQ, did it by a minute.) Definitely set yourself some high goals, since they're totally doable. You don't need to do marathons for years before running a 3hr race. G'luck!

Jesus, 3:04! Pretty sure i would die if i attempted that time, haha.

But yeah, the more i'm reading, the more i think i should go for sub 4 hours. The race i'm currently thinking about is in mid-May, and i would start the training in January. There's a 16-week plan on runkeeper which looks quite doable to me.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

Leggings are the way forward my man. Makes you look glorious!
No, never, I'd rather freeze to death :p

I somehow never learned how to run slowly or pace myself so I never really attempted long runs/marathons except for the few times in California where I ran 20km once, but the route was full of steep hills, so while I ran uphill, I basically just walked down for the most part.
Some of the achievements here look really nice, congrats.

Oh and I bought myself a Brooks running jacket and some Nike running gloves. They weren't top of the line or expensive, but goddamn are they bad. They barely insulate at all and after just one use already begin to disintegrate/lint.

IMG_20121217_133613.jpg

Fuck Nike..

I always do Coach Jay Johson's Lunge Matrix Warm Up. Works very well to get my legs going. I usually do a relatively easy 1st mile before really getting into whatever type of run I plan to do that day.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I am pissed.

I've been running 4 miles every other day for months. I may miss one day but it's at least 8 to 12 miles a week, sometimes more, yet somehow I added 5 pounds of weight. WTF!!!!!

I am pissed.

I've been running 4 miles every other day for months. I may miss one day but it's at least 8 to 12 miles a week, sometimes more, yet somehow I added 5 pounds of weight. WTF!!!!!

Depending on your weight to begin with, running 4 miles may only burn around 500 calories or a little more. Cut that in half since it's every other day, and that's a pretty negligible amount of calories to burn without dieting as well to expect to lose much weight. Also you'd need to make sure you're weighing yourself under similar circumstances.

So, I have a question. I've basically missed a week of training due to being sick, but was back into the 40~45 mile range before that. How much should I scale back my mileage this week, if at all?

What did you think of the Hanson plan? Were the 16mile long runs enough?

I'm running Boston in April and just started the 18 week advanced Hanson's plan last week.
Tomorrow's going to be a rough day. 12x400. yuck.

So, I have a question. I've basically missed a week of training due to being sick, but was back into the 40~45 mile range before that. How much should I scale back my mileage this week, if at all?

You should be fine without scaling back. Listen to your legs though. A week off and an extra easy day or two won't do much at all to hurt your fitness.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter

I'm running Boston in April and just started the 18 week advanced Hanson's plan last week.

You should be fine without scaling back. Listen to your legs though. A week off and an extra easy day or two won't do much at all to hurt your fitness.

I'm reading the Hanson's marathon book right now and I really like the authors reasoning for the 16 mile long run. It's basically meant for the runner to not exceed 3 hours on the long run and also to have the long run not take up more than 25-30% of the weekly mileage.

I'm using their half-marathon program and adding in speed and strength workouts from the book. The goal race is a 10-miler in April.

Row

Banned
I am pissed.

Diet matters far more exercise for weight loss. Running does build some muscle though, and muscle weighs more than fat, that could be all it is.

I'm reading the Hanson's marathon book right now and I really like the authors reasoning for the 16 mile long run. It's basically meant for the runner to not exceed 3 hours on the long run and also to have the long run not take up more than 25-30% of the weekly mileage.

I'm using their half-marathon program and adding in speed and strength workouts from the book. The goal race is a 10-miler in April.

It does make a lot of sense, especially his points on how arbitrary a 20 mile run are physiologically. I'm only concerned about only doing 16 because at the fast end of my long run pace I can finish in just a bit over 2 hours. He recommends 2-3 hour long runs, so I'm tempted to throw a few extra miles in.

Doytch

Jesus, 3:04! Pretty sure i would die if i attempted that time, haha.

But yeah, the more i'm reading, the more i think i should go for sub 4 hours. The race i'm currently thinking about is in mid-May, and i would start the training in January. There's a 16-week plan on runkeeper which looks quite doable to me.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.
Don't think this way. Honestly. A lot of people sabotage themselves with chintzy little goals because they think that they have to go through this progression of stages or because only pros or people who devote their life to the sport hit good times. It's BS. Run hard, run fast. If you get tired, GOOD! Keep running. So much of endurance sports is mental and actually believing in yourself. This sounds like mumbo jumbo inspirational crap, but I can't stress how important the mental side is to this.

So, my version of Hanson's was actually to run /everything/ at marathon pace. Maybe the 16-milers were a tad slower, but not much. It was my first time, and I was kinda side-eyeing the idea of never running the full length (it was my first!) so I didn't want to run slow. Which doesn't make me representative of the actual plan, I guess.

But given that, I liked it. I think the "tempo" runs it had on Thursdays (in my version, at least) should be more like real tempo runs, as in, 5-10s slower than 10k pace, and I think that'd help with speed and staving off any fatigue. I started to lose pace around mile 20, and some 10 mile fast tempos might've helped that. Especially if you're doing the rest of the runs below goal-pace, those tempo runs need to be faster, IMO.

See you in Boston! I'm planning on shelving road marathons after that and fully concentrate on triathlon (and maybe trail racing/ultras) so hopefully I'll crack 3h finally....net downhill!

PS: Reading some previous replies... If the purpose of the 16-miler was to prevent you from going over 3hr, then you should probably make it longer if you're going faster like I was. I didn't read much of the theory behind it besides the Running World (or wherever it was) articles.

ruxtpin

Banned
Reading this thread is painful. I'm having a bout with ITBS on my right knee. Occurred right after running the Savannah Rock N' Roll marathon on November 3rd.

If I can't run I go a bit insane. I miss hitting the trails near my place.

Cyan

Banned
Reading this thread is painful. I'm having a bout with ITBS on my right knee. Occurred right after running the Savannah Rock N' Roll marathon on November 3rd.

I hear you. I finally started running again a few weeks ago after a series of problems with my calf kept me out for months. And now my foot's starting to bother me, argh.

Trying to get out there with lower distances for now, to ease up on the wear and tear. But man, it's frustrating. :/

Doytch

Know that feel. =( I had a stress fracture the month leading into a marathon this March/April and took 6 weeks off running afterwards for it to heal. First run afterwards, ITB. Aggravated the hell out of it a few weeks later during a triathlon and it took forever to build back up to full strength. Make sure you do the stretches, and do the strength work, and you will beat it. I know shit like "Fuck, I can only run 30s without pain? What if I'm never able to run distance again, what if this keeps nagging..." would creep into my head. Stay positive!

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
It does make a lot of sense, especially his points on how arbitrary a 20 mile run are physiologically. I'm only concerned about only doing 16 because at the fast end of my long run pace I can finish in just a bit over 2 hours. He recommends 2-3 hour long runs, so I'm tempted to throw a few extra miles in.

They also base the long run length on total weekly mileage. Say if you're running around 70 miles a week an 18-20 mile long run would be 25-30% of your weekly mileage. The 16 mile run isn't mandatory, just a guideline.

So, my version of Hanson's was actually to run /everything/ at marathon pace. Maybe the 16-milers were a tad slower, but not much.

But given that, I liked it. I think the "tempo" runs it had on Thursdays (in my version, at least) should be more like real tempo runs, as in, 5-10s slower than 10k pace, and I think that'd help with speed and staving off any fatigue.

See you in Boston! I'm planning on shelving road marathons after that and fully concentrate on triathlon (and maybe trail racing/ultras) so hopefully I'll crack 3h finally....net downhill!

Yes! Team GAF! I'm thinking Boston will be my last as well. I've run New York and Chicago, so Boston will complete the big 3. Hoping I can finish with a 2:59 as well. That way I can quit in peace! Unfortunately most of my recent races point to a 3:02 realistically. Here's hoping 18 wks of proper training pay off.

Those are some pretty bad ass paces you trained! I tend to drag ass through easy days, but I'm thinking I'll definitely try running at least the back half of tempos at HMP.

Cinders

I've recently started jogging/running again, so I thought I would ask: from a fitness and physical/mental well-being perspective, there is nothing wrong with running late at night, right? Like, 10-11 PM?

I hate running before work and I've always felt worse during and after a run in the afternoon for some reason. But at night, I feel energized. Running feels great; peaceful and almost relaxing, even though I try to push myself. I just always thought I was crazy for liking it that late because no one else seems to do it. And I am aware of the safety issues, I just thought I would see if there is anything else detrimental about it.

Think I might check out that Hanson book. As far as 20s are concerned, I like them in that they do help with the mental side of the training with me.

Finally getting over being sick...did 3.5 Tuesday then 8 last night, legs seem to be okay after a week off though my head and my breathing still feel like a mess. I've got a 50K - The HAT Run - at the end of March that I need to start getting ready for. Probably going to 5 tonight, 5 tomorrow and then wrap the week up with a 10-13 mile run Saturday.

My goal is to eventually BQ...but my marathon PR is 3:27 so I have some work to do.

I've recently started jogging/running again, so I thought I would ask: from a fitness and physical/mental well-being perspective, there is nothing wrong with running late at night, right? Like, 10-11 PM?

The only thing I wold be concerned with is if the late run negatively impacted the amount of sleep you got as I your body would need some time to come down form the run.

Ooooohhh man, I signed up for my first marathon! Can't decide if I'm excited or terrified at the moment.

It's my first event, too.

Congrats! When's the marathon? I'd definitely recommend running a half marathon as part of your lead up to the marathon. There are a lot of lessons from racing that are far better learned on distances shorter than the marathon.

Congrats! When's the marathon? I'd definitely recommend running a half marathon as part of your lead up to the marathon. There are a lot of lessons from racing that are far better learned on distances shorter than the marathon.

Thanks. The marathon is in May, and i intend to start the proper training in January.

Do you mean i should run a half marathon race to prepare? Because i have done the half distance plenty of times on my own, just never in a race context. I do worry that the excitement and craziness that comes with a big race with thousands of people might throw me off on race day.

Well, dammit. I don't know how I even did it but now I think I have some meniscus or MCL injury...started hurting like hell yesterday after running and it still hurts like crazy to bend my leg. Going to see the ortho again on Wednesday morning. So pissed right now.

Thanks. The marathon is in May, and i intend to start the proper training in January.

Do you mean i should run a half marathon race to prepare? Because i have done the half distance plenty of times on my own, just never in a race context. I do worry that the excitement and craziness that comes with a big race with thousands of people might throw me off on race day.

Heh, I'm doing my first marathon this May as well. It's the Lincoln (NE) marathon. Not terribly excited for training in Jan/Feb, but I've been growing my Rocky 4 beard in preparation :)

My first race was a half marathon this last September and I tried to prepare for the excitement/craziness by forcing myself to stay with the pace guy for the first 5-6 miles. After that I went ahead on my own pace. That helped me to not over exert myself during the start and helped me a bunch toward the end of the race. I intend to keep the same strategy for the marathon.

Yes, a race. Feeling out a pace is very different when you have all the adrenaline flowing. Mundane things like learning how to drink out of a cup or seeing how your body handles fuel is important too. Plus, a proper race will be the best predictor of what your goal time for the marathon should be.

I want to keep a log of all of my runs. So far my catagories are:

Duration

Type of run

Intensity

Weight before/after

mileage

then total # of runs, miles, and lose of weight

are there any other catagories I should add? Probably pace right?

I want to keep a log of all of my runs. So far my catagories are:

Duration

Type of run

Intensity

Weight before/after

mileage

then total # of runs, miles, and lose of weight

are there any other catagories I should add? Probably pace right?

Pace can be calculated from duration and distance.

Have you considered using runkeeper or a similar service? They make it dead simple to keep this kind of data.

Anyone use a neck warmer while running? I'm looking to buy one but i'm not sure if wearing a fleece one would stifle my breathing too much. It's -7c here btw.

Well did my first double-digit miles run since my Achilles injury. Was feeling really good so as I go out and come back, I went out to 6 miles gunning for a 12 but my legs started getting tired at the 9 mile mark and I struggled through the last mile. The last 400 yards my groin was pulling a bit so I stopped and walked the last 2 miles. Still 10.2 miles in 89 mins so I'm pretty pleased.

Seems my legs need to remember the long runs again and I need to eat more before a run. Also got to try out my new camel pack. Barely touched it though, must try harder.

That's it for runs I reckon till after the holidays.

Went out in about 4-5 degrees (fahrenheit) for a 5-mile run yesterday and didn't mind the weather a bit. It got me curious, what's the lowest temperature you've run in/will run in? Even though I was fine at 5 degrees, I imagine I'll be forced indoors around -5 degrees, assuming the wind stays calm.

Went out in about 4-5 degrees (fahrenheit) for a 5-mile run yesterday and didn't mind the weather a bit. It got me curious, what's the lowest temperature you've run in/will run in? Even though I was fine at 5 degrees, I imagine I'll be forced indoors around -5 degrees, assuming the wind stays calm.

I've done like -10 celsius (14 fahrenheit), which is about as cold as it gets here. It was alright. I like it when my hair gets all icy!

Oh and one time i was stupid and didn't wear enough layers when it was below freezing and really windy. The genital pain was UNIMAGINABLE i tell you.

I've done like -10 celsius (14 fahrenheit), which is about as cold as it gets here. It was alright. I like it when my hair gets all icy!

Oh and one time i was stupid and didn't wear enough layers when it was below freezing and really windy. The genital pain was UNIMAGINABLE i tell you.

I've done some very cold running in Michigan back before I moved out west. And yeah, the boys is totally where the cold will hit ya. Goofy sounding yet serious advice, go ahead and toss a sock on it before you head out, worked for me for avoiding the worst of the dreaded nut freeze.

I've actually got a big Winter Running Festival up here in Seattle coming up soon. For extra fun they don't start the race until 3:00 or so, and it gets dark before 5 still. So for the 50K you have to do a good chunk of the race in the woods in the pitch dark. Luckily it's my usual woods, so I know them pretty well and have the Knuckle Lights to use.

Hmm, I suppose my layering has been enough to protect the boys because I haven't encountered an issue yet. I've been wearing some tights, a pair of shorts, and then some insulated windbreaker pants. If it's really cold I keep the boxers on before I put on the tights.

I did something really unhealthy this week: I ran on 7 consecutive days for a total distance of 104.1 kilometers (64.7 miles). Without ramping up to it.

t1ost.png

My usual weekly distance is like 45 km (28 mi) and i run on four days. These are all weeks of the year; note the final column:

vtLRJ.png

My biggest lesson here is the importance of rest days. The last two runs especially were fucking horrible. My body felt like an old man's body, and i'm only in my twenties! The body was giving me very clear "nope, we shouldn't be running right now bro" signals and it's probably super unhealthy to ignore those like i did.

Also, i ate sooooo muuuuuch foooood this week. On the one day i counted, i had over 3.800 calories. Pretty crazy how that works.

I'm proud of the 100 km number. But it all ended on a downer note of "oh god why am i doing this to myself".

So yeah, don't do this. Especially if you don't have the body of a super athlete. It's good to be ambitious, but be reasonable and be safe.

Anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive but decent pair of headphones to run with? I'd rather not use my noise isolating ones while outside for obvious reasons.

Anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive but decent pair of headphones to run with? I'd rather not use my noise isolating ones while outside for obvious reasons.

I have these ones and they work pretty well.

http://www.target.com/p/philips-and...shs8105a-28/-/A-14073201#prodSlot=medium_1_36

I have always used Phillips and they have given me no problems at all. Also, I prefer the over the ear headphones so they don't fall out of my ears.

Edit - they are hard to find in stores. Any Phillips over the ear headphones would work IMHO.

I LOVE these. The price is a little on the high side, but they're pretty much perfect for me. I think the Wirecutter had a good piece on them too.

Top Bottom