• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Series of Poker 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Inflammable Slinky said:
Jeez, you're too good at MTTs. I'm still shit at tourney play compared to my cash game.
MTTs are awesome fun once you get your strategic style down and can win a fair share of them with it.

tmdorsey

MrPing1000 said:
so the sunday million on pokerstars sunday march 6th will have a guarantee of $5million.

Today I used all my fpp from playing cash to buy a step3 ticket. used it to play a $85 dollar tournament of 9 people, top 2 get a step 4 ticket which can be used on the $215 major tourneys. I won :D

Freerolling a $5million tourney ftw. It's going to be insane though. Million usually gets around 9000 people, which this I'm expecting closer to 30,000.

Congrats. I'm still trying to get more consistent on the MTT's. I have to learn to control my patience and make smarter decisions.

Inflammable Slinky said:
Jeez, you're too good at MTTs. I'm still shit at tourney play compared to my cash game.

I'm really not. My biggest 2 cashes are $1100 coming 148th in the sunday million and $300 ish for coming 2nd in a $11 180man SNG, ageeeees ago (If I recall i had a massive chip lead heads up and lost whoops).

The only big tournament I've final tabled was when I came 3rd in a UK freeroll my 3rd day of poker for $220 lol, was like 8.6k people too lol.

Really I have a lot of education still to do, I still don't know much about ICM or M.

But atm I'm grinding 25NL mostly, cash is so different from tourneys, but I think it's much easier for a good cash player to be good at tournaments than vice versa.

Chesskid1

Banned
MTTs are awesome because they are actually exciting and someone can win, blinds go up and you have to adjust, etc, and cash just feels like a grind to me.

for this reason ive played like 8000 tournaments and like no cash games at all. heh. i joined last week and forgot last week so hopefully I remember to sign up :)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mister Zimbu said:
Next week (Mar 5) is back to NLHE... I'm trying to make it so odd-numbered weeks are always 9 max NLHE.

The week after that (Mar 12) is going to be 8-game though, which rotates between:

Limit Hold'em
Limit Omaha H/L
Limit Stud
Limit Stud H/L
Limit Razz
No Limit Hold'em
Pot Limit Omaha Hi
Limit something else I can't remember (Triple Draw 2-7 i think?)

This can be subject to change, of course, but I really really really want an 8-game rotation in there.

edit: Or perhaps Week 8 could be a double header- 8 game followed by PLO High... a PLO tourney would only take about 10 minutes anyway with how crazy it is :D

PLO. DO IT. I really appreciate other games, but it's kinda strange that we haven't had a tourney for the second most popular game available.

K.Jack

fml.jpg

Famous last words. I was positive he was holding a six.

K.Jack said:
Famous last words. I was positive he was holding a six.

When I flopped the quads I thought, ok, hopefully you pair on the turn or river and I can get something out of this. Then the 6s came and I was holding a 6 so I was ready for you to just fold. When you raised and started chatting I thought, oh, you limped with a pair bigger than 6s, maybe I can just milk you a bit. Haha, no way did I ever think you'd limped with aa there.

XiaNaphryz

That final table was pretty awesome, it swung back and forth. Made some dumb calls/raise steal attempts on my end though - got a bit too aggressive, which is way too much considering how aggressive my standard heads-up game is.

K.Jack said:
I haven't limped AA in like 5 years, I swear. This reminds me of why.

I'll occasionally limp it heads up, especially if the other guy is being predictable or otherwise really aggressive.

Last night I was playing in a tourney and the guy to my left was tilting after losing a previous all-in. He was literally shoving all-in for 20-30 BB every hand.

Eventually I wake up with AA and limp in, knowing he'll shove. He shoves, I call, he shows something random like Q4o and gets there.

Jerk.

XiaNaphryz said:
That final table was pretty awesome, it swung back and forth. Made some dumb calls/raise steal attempts on my end though - got a bit too aggressive, which is way too much considering how aggressive my standard heads-up game is.
Ya, you were more aggressive than my previous 2 opponents, so it took me a little while to adjust.

This was pretty fun. We need more than 6 next time though. Maybe we need to build up our player base more before doing heads up again. Or play it by ear next time and if not enough people can play, we can switch to another game.

K.Jack said:
I haven't limped AA in like 5 years, I swear. This reminds me of why.
I limped with aa in a live cash game once where the flop came trips, slow played it all the way like you did, and the most tight passive player I had ever played with sudden overbet all in on the river. I actually ended up folding cuz she had like a grand on the table, and all night was only calling with hands that anyone else would have raised with. Some other guy ended up calling with a small pair and sure enough she had the quads. Only time in my life I'd fold there. Heads up in a tourney no way could I get away from it.

K.Jack

Thing is I new you had the 7. I'm just mad I didn't fold. I've made better lay downs, and should have there.

VALIS

Two misses in a row for me, birthday party for my GF's sister. :/

At least I placed well in my weekly home game tourney last night, getting off my 3 week slide.

Bumping this... just under 3 hours left till the tourney starts.

Anyone else planning on playing in the Sunday $5 million? I'd give it a shot if I had $215 to spare but I'll at least try to sat in tomorrow.

XiaNaphryz

Was out of the house today, couldn't make it. I'll bring my aggro game next time hopefully.

Satted into the sunday million sat! Assuredly I'm just mere hours away from winning $1 million that I probably won't even be able to cash out and an ugly car that I'll wreck within 20 minutes.

K.Jack

GG, guys. The bubble was so sick for mwe. Suckout after suckout, and unfortunately I wasn't the one doing it. The chips just kept shifting in the wrong direction. I was in the money at least like 5 times, but I finished 4th.

Mister Zimbu said:
Satted into the sunday million sat! Assuredly I'm just mere hours away from winning $1 million that I probably won't even be able to cash out and an ugly car that I'll wreck within 20 minutes.
Good luck dude.

If you final table, may I have $2k? I need a new laptop.

tmdorsey

Mister Zimbu said:
Very nice! Keep us updated.

Tomorrow's game is set up now:

Week 8 - 8-game
Saturday, Mar 12 2011 @ 4:00 pm EST

For the uninitiated, 8-game is a Mixed Format poker tournament- you'll be playing 8 different variations of poker throughout.

The variations are:
No Limit Hold'em - The game you're all used to by now.

Fixed Limit Hold'em - Same as No Limit Hold'em, but you can only bet and raise in fixed amounts.

Fixed Limit Omaha Hi/Lo - Each player gets dealt four cards, and there are 5 board cards. Every player must use exactly two cards from their hand and three from the board to make their hand. The pot is split between the best hand, and the worst hand (by A-5 lowball standards). This is the same as week 4, but it's fixed limit instead of pot limit.

Fixed Limit Stud - In 7 card stud, every player is dealt two hole cards and one card face up. Every round a new card is dealt face up to each player, except for the 7th card, which is face down again. Best 5 card hand wins.

Fixed Limit Razz - 7 card stud, only the worst 5 card hand wins instead of the best. Straights and flushes do not count against you, and aces are low, so the best hand is A2345.

Fixed Limit Stud Hi/Lo - 7 card stud with a split pot between best and worst hands. Worst hand must be 8-high or worse to qualify.

Pot Limit Omaha Hi - Four cards, and five board cards. You must use exactly 2 from your hand and three from the board. In Omaha High, only the high-hand wins. This game has a shit-ton of action and is incredibly fun.

Triple Draw 2-7 - Every player is dealt 5 cards. The goal in this game is to get the worst hand possible. In 2-7 lowball, aces are high, and straights and flushes *do* count against you, making the best possible hand 75432. The actual gameplay is the same as draw poker (betting round, then discard cards), but what makes it triple draw is that there are three opportunities to discard and draw cards.

I hope as many people as possible play even if they're uncomfortable with these games. I personally am absolutely awful at Stud, Stud H/L, and Triple Draw, so don't be scared!

With daylight savings, I'm not sure when the game is actually going to start, so it may be an hour later or earlier than normal, depending on how screwed up PokerStars' clock gets :D.

XiaNaphryz

Hope I can make it this time. Love to play split hi/lo games, as well as Razz and triple-draw low.

K.Jack

Awesome. I've basically quit playing poker, but I enjoy the GAF games still.

I'm coming to win this one.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I just won 40 bucks playing with some friends last week (I honestly win a lot, I don't know why) - it would be cool to play against people who are actually skilled.

You guys want to start a Beginner Poker thread? We could include how to get started and post hand histories and newbie advice. I got started from Something Awful's beginner thread, and I'd like to see a bigger community form on GAF.

Granted, I'm a newbie myself, so I'd prefer people who know cash games/tournies/PLO/how not to rage tilt 10 BI (lol) to help out!

K.Jack

Yeah, I've been wanting to help one of those get started, for quite some time now. I just don't know how to do the OP.

A general Poker [OT] will bring more people to our games as well.

XiaNaphryz

Inflammable Slinky said:
You guys want to start a Beginner Poker thread? We could include how to get started and post hand histories and newbie advice. I got started from Something Awful's beginner thread, and I'd like to see a bigger community form on GAF.

Granted, I'm a newbie myself, so I'd prefer people who know cash games/tournies/PLO/how not to rage tilt 10 BI (lol) to help out!
Not a bad idea. It would also be our best chance at getting more people in the play money games.

I mean, I would crib a ton from the Something Awful thread, but what I think would be a good start is read Little Green Book by Phil Gordon, Harrington On Cash, and start browsing 2plus2 micros.

Other than that, good bankroll management (50 BI's for your level) get rakeback/bonus whore, and start thinking in +EV terms rather than results oriented thinking.

I would direct alot of people to SA rakeback, so I think I will ask Scotsman there if it's on the level.

Heh, maybe we could organize a freeroll for Gaffers that deposit on stars (is that even possible?)

Also, lobby Evilore to add the Suited symbols to GAF!

Ok I checked with Scotsman and he's cool with it. I'll make the effortpost sometime around Monday, we might as well merge this thread into it at that time. You jerks better post in it!

K.Jack

I think I've 4th placed in every played tournament, so far.

At least 3rd placed meant zilch, today.

XiaNaphryz

VALIS said:
GG all. Seems to be feast or famine with me in the GAF tourneys. 4 played, 2 wins, 2 bombs.
I think this is the 2nd time I've ended up in second place. I was so sure you were going to call that hand I put you all-in with. I was 50/50 between that and making a value raise, but I wasn't as sure you were going to call the latter.

XiaNaphryz

So I finally got around to installing Pokertracker on my laptop, and it doesn't look like the Home Game tourneys are getting imported? Or am I just missing something? The logs seem to get processed correctly. I don't see any of you fools listed in my player database.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom