• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Series of Poker 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Week 4 - Omaha H/L Results:
Play Money (3 players - 600c prize pool)
1st MisterZimbu (600c)
2nd BigAT
3rd XiaNaphryz

Real Money (9 players - $27.00 prize pool)
1st Valis666 ($13.50)
2nd WithoutAir ($8.10)
3rd MisterZimbu ($5.40)

Next week we move back to 9-max No Limit Hold'em, then the week after it's the Heads Up NLHE Tournament of Death! Also need ideas on how we can get more than 9 or 10 people in here :D. A thread title change couldn't hurt.

Great games, guys!

VALIS

Good game guys. I'm usually weak at Omaha hi/lo so it's nice to get a win and some confidence at that game.

MrPing, are you WithoutAir?

Next tournaments are set up!

February 19, 4:00pm EST - 9 Max No Limit Hold'em
Real Money: $3 + $0.30 buyin
Play Money: 200 + 15 play chips.

After last week's abysmal turnout, I'm going to use this as a gauge to see if I should even bother setting up play money games, as there doesn't seem to be any interest in them beyond 2 or 3 people.

I, unfortunately, won't be able to play this weekend, so good luck guys!

Chesskid1

Banned
i joined up, hope you guys don't mind. i made a lil bit off poker and i prolly think i'm the best ever like most players, haha.

the biggest challenge for me is remembering about this though :D

Chesskid1 said:
i joined up, hope you guys don't mind. i made a lil bit off poker and i prolly think i'm the best ever like most players, haha.

the biggest challenge for me is remembering about this though :D

Welcome! More the merrier, we've been trying to figure out how to get more people to join up.

The day and time has been consistent so I now have it committed to memory. I usually don't sign up till that morning though, just in case something comes up. Will do the same this time, although I'm pretty sure I'll make it.

Just a bit under 2 hours until game time.

I still won't be able to play.

If you haven't registered for the club yet, please do so ASAP- I have to verify everyone that registers and I won't be here during the tournament to do so.

structure as in the blinds go up every 10mins and u only start with 50BB. People are going to get short very quickly. I like to be able to get fancy :p

VALIS

Inflammable Slinky said:
VALIS you are too aggressive for your own good. ;p

Didn't really feel like playing today so I played almost every hand out of impatience, didn't feel like waiting. I did bust out to a set of As, at least.

gg

I'm getting good at coming 2nd in these. But starting heads up with an 8:1 chip disadvantage, wasn't likely to turn it around lol.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Alex Anderson said:
Yay, finished fourth (right outside the money) a little while after my QQ all-in preflop got tard-called with A6.
With that blind structure, you gotta make a stand at some point or constantly push to have any chance of winning. My M was constantly hovering around the 5 level, so gotta keep pushing! If you couldn't tell, I also enjoy the turbo SNGs on the site. ;P

If it makes you feel any better, I went out with trip 10s when the third 10 make tmdorsey a flush. I almost folded that A6s too. ;)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Sorry I pulled a no-show, my brother asked me to babysit the kids so he and the wife could go on a date.

Field of 13? Damn, nice turn out.

Seat 2: WithoutAir (4045 in chips)
Seat 3: tmdorsey (7825 in chips)
Seat 4: AlexAndrson (3815 in chips)
Seat 5: XiaNaphryz (2150 in chips)
Seat 8: parrotbeak (1665 in chips)
WithoutAir: posts the ante 15
tmdorsey: posts the ante 15
AlexAndrson: posts the ante 15
XiaNaphryz: posts the ante 15
parrotbeak: posts the ante 15
XiaNaphryz: posts small blind 60
parrotbeak: posts big blind 120
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to AlexAndrson [Qc Qs]
WithoutAir: folds
tmdorsey: folds
AlexAndrson: raises 3680 to 3800 and is all-in
XiaNaphryz: calls 2075 and is all-in
parrotbeak: folds

That's true about having to make a stand at some point, but I don't know if having only 3.5% of your stack at risk and your A6 suited nearly definitely dominated was really the time. I could have been bluffing but that would've been really careless on my part if I'd just pushed all-in like that with something worse than AJ or 9s or so.

Just wanna state I don't think I'm hot shit or anything. I'm a novice player and there's a reason I stick to my $2.00+$.20 SNGs with a 6-5-4-3-2$ payout, since I can make a little money playing those with my patented fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold technique and not having to play many hands. Betting intimidates me. Seems whenever I get aggressive early on, even when I flop something good it bites me in the butt, so I just revert to my mega-folding strategy.

XiaNaphryz

Alex Anderson said:
That's true about having to make a stand at some point, but I don't know if having only 3.5% of your stack at risk and your A6 suited nearly definitely dominated was really the time. I could have been bluffing but that would've been really careless on my part if I'd just pushed all-in like that with something worse than AJ or 9s or so.

Just wanna state I don't think I'm hot shit or anything. I'm a novice player and there's a reason I stick to my $2.00+$.20 SNGs with a 6-5-4-3-2$ payout, since I can make a little money playing those with my patented fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold technique and not having to play many hands. Betting intimidates me. Seems whenever I get aggressive early on, even when I flop something good it bites me in the butt, so I just revert to my mega-folding strategy.
I just completely misread you then, as I put you on a steal given how the table in general was pushing so much to steal the blinds/antes, and an all-in move with a M of about 15 seemed a bit suspicious to me especially at a short table. I figured ace high was enough, and that at worst I was facing maybe a low to mid pair.

You're right that the odds to call weren't really there, as ace-small is a 70-30 underdog. But also given how fast the blind structure is, if I wanted a genuine chance to win the whole thing you need lots of chips. Sure, I end up placing lower than I should on the prize list at times, but the times I end up first more than make up for it profit-wise in the turbo-style structures.

XiaNaphryz

Inflammable Slinky said:
I'm sure you know this, but you need a better hand to call a push, than to push yourself.

Honestly, I'd need at least AJo+ or 88+ to call a big stack shoving.
If I was playing it vanilla, that was an instant fold sure. As I said, I was going on a read given the situation. I tend to be much more aggressive in faster tourneys, moreso than I probably should admittedly. But I've found success with the style, particularly in turbos that are 10 tables or less. Now that I have a better read on Anderson's playing style though, that will adjust somewhat obviously.

The new tournament is set up:

No Limit Hold'em - Heads up Tournament of Death
Saturday, February 26, 2011 at 4:00pm EST - $3 + $0.30 buyin

It's a heads up tournament! Players will be paired up randomly and forced to square off in heads up deathmatches until there is only one survivor!

A bloody battle between the contestants will ensue and only end when one player is killed (or they run out of chips, whichever comes first).

The structure is a bit different- it's set up as a turbo 5 minute blind intervals instead of the standard 10 minute intervals to prevent things from dragging on too long (as this tournament will only be play as fast as the slowest table). You'll start with 2,000 chips instead of 1,500, however to prevent things being too much of a crapshoot.

If you sign up, make sure you're here on time. Since it's heads up, you can expect to be blinded out really really fast if you're even a few minutes late.

I've discontinued the play money games since there's (surprisingly) not enough interest. If I'm not mistaken, no one showed up to last week's play money game, and only 3 people to the prior one.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Heads-Up shootout? ehhhh not my style, but I'll participate. Can we do a PLO hi tourney next? That would be a lot of fun.

Do me a favor. Someone send me a PM before the game starts. I need a reminder.

RE: Play Money game, I'm pretty happy that the $$$ game is more popular. I was concerned that the opposite would be true.

This should be fun! I haven't played much heads up in years. Probably should practice a bit.

I'll try to pm you, KJack. Probably should pm out0v0rder also. ;)

XiaNaphryz

parrotbeak said:
This should be fun! I haven't played much heads up in years. Probably should practice a bit.

I'll try to pm you, KJack. Probably should pm out0v0rder also. ;)
Riiiight...you'll PM when they have half their stack left. ;)

K.Jack said:
Heads-Up shootout? ehhhh not my style, but I'll participate. Can we do a PLO hi tourney next? That would be a lot of fun.

Do me a favor. Someone send me a PM before the game starts. I need a reminder.

RE: Play Money game, I'm pretty happy that the $$$ game is more popular. I was concerned that the opposite would be true.

No way, Razz tourney next week!

It might take me a little while to remember, or realize they aren't there...Oh, I thought you were just folding every hand cuz you weren't getting cards.

I'd be down for a HORSE trny. Pure razz would be too irritating, I think.

Next week (Mar 5) is back to NLHE... I'm trying to make it so odd-numbered weeks are always 9 max NLHE.

The week after that (Mar 12) is going to be 8-game though, which rotates between:

Limit Hold'em
Limit Omaha H/L
Limit Stud
Limit Stud H/L
Limit Razz
No Limit Hold'em
Pot Limit Omaha Hi
Limit something else I can't remember (Triple Draw 2-7 i think?)

This can be subject to change, of course, but I really really really want an 8-game rotation in there.

edit: Or perhaps Week 8 could be a double header- 8 game followed by PLO High... a PLO tourney would only take about 10 minutes anyway with how crazy it is :D

so the sunday million on pokerstars sunday march 6th will have a guarantee of $5million.

Today I used all my fpp from playing cash to buy a step3 ticket. used it to play a $85 dollar tournament of 9 people, top 2 get a step 4 ticket which can be used on the $215 major tourneys. I won :D

Freerolling a $5million tourney ftw. It's going to be insane though. Million usually gets around 9000 people, which this I'm expecting closer to 30,000.

MrPing1000 said:
so the sunday million on pokerstars sunday march 6th will have a guarantee of $5million.

Today I used all my fpp from playing cash to buy a step3 ticket. used it to play a $85 dollar tournament of 9 people, top 2 get a step 4 ticket which can be used on the $215 major tourneys. I won :D

Freerolling a $5million tourney ftw. It's going to be insane though. Million usually gets around 9000 people, which this I'm expecting closer to 30,000.

Jeez, you're too good at MTTs. I'm still shit at tourney play compared to my cash game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom