• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Series of Poker 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If anyone else needs real money transfers, to get funds onto stars., just shoot me a pm.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'll eventually get some funds to transfer in. Unless someone doesn't mind giving me a quick transfer, I can do a quick credit charge through Paypal.

K.Jack

XiaNaphryz said:
I'll eventually get some funds to transfer in. Unless someone doesn't mind giving me a quick transfer, I can do a quick credit charge through Paypal.
send me a pm.

I'll give you a transfer, and we can work out the Paypal later.

lol, my real money debut was short lived. ppl on blinds were sitting out so I got greedy and raised trying to steal the pot with 10-7. guy with QQ re-raised and I called like a dummy. Had high pair with ten, but... got dumb and went all-in

Think I might skip the freebie next week, I suck at playing multi tables. Well okay, it was dumb to go all in with that, too :p

^^ typed like 25 mins ago

just finished heads up with Duracell on the play money, this one was almost over in like 40 minutes. gg nw

K.Jack

Oh well, I wanted to win. Cashing meant very little to me.

The KdQd on that flop was my best shot at taking it down. Flush draw with gutshot gave me the odds I was looking for, so I went for it.

See you all next week.

XiaNaphryz

Maybe a thread title change to something different will help garner more interest? I'd have thought we'd have a lot more people in the games by now.

Week 3 Results (9 max NLHE)!!!!!!

Real Money (10 players - $30 prize pool)
1st: Parrotbeak ($15)
2nd: WithoutAir ($9)
3rd: MisterZimbu ($6)

Play Money (5 players - 1000p prize pool)
1st : Duracelll (1000p)
2nd: AlexAndrson (squat)

Leaderboards!!!!!!! (only players with points shown)

Real Money Leaderboard
1st MisterZimbu 9.63 - waiting for doomswitch
2nd Parrotbeak 4.38
3rd Talisaynon 3.94
4th WithoutAir 3.1
5th Koutsoniv 3.05
6th San Goku 2.49
7th RansomDan 2.27
8th QuantizedKi 2.15

Play Money Leaderboard
1st AlexAndrson 7.41
2nd XiaNaphryz 4.69
3rd Duracelll 3
4th MisterZimbu 2.9

I also have Saturday's game set up. This will either be awesome or a tremendous failure!

Next Tournament: Saturday, February 12th @ 4pm EST
Pot Limit Omaha H/L
Real Money Buyin: $3+$0.30
Play Money Buyin: 200p+15p

If you're unfamiliar with Omaha H/L, please join anyway because it's the best game ever!

Like Hold'em, there are five community cards.
Unlike Hold'em you get four hole cards instead of two.
You must play exactly three cards from the board and two from your hand.

Best 5 card hand wins half the pot.

If there's a qualifying hand, the worst hand wins the other half. Your five lowest unpaired cards are your low hand, and straights and flushes do not count against you. The low hand must be 8-high or worse to qualify.

See you at the tables!

Omaha hi/lo is a super awesome game! I suck at it, but it is a lot of fun anyway. I'm going to be cooking all day on Saturday but will join in anyway and probably just lose fast.

XiaNaphryz

parrotbeak said:
Omaha hi/lo is a super awesome game! I suck at it, but it is a lot of fun anyway. I'm going to be cooking all day on Saturday but will join in anyway and probably just lose fast.
You definitely need to change your strategy from HE to play it well consistently, particularly pre-flop. Going by your standard HE rankings will get you in a world of hurt pretty quickly. It really sucks when you end up getting quartered in the pot.

XiaNaphryz

Mister Zimbu said:
I bought the PLO book you suggested, K.Jack.

I'm through 8 pages already so I'll totally be ready to crush the competition.
Whatever it tells you, never fold AAAA, trust me on this!

Also, 6789 is an awesome starting hand. Especially if they're not suited!

Well, the one thing about AAAA is, you know no one else has an ace!

If any new omaha players would like actual, very very basic tips (the only ones I know), I'm happy to help. It sucks when you're new and you think you are winning and then you get quartered or scooped and have no idea why. It's not good for attracting new people.

tmdorsey

XiaNaphryz said:
Whatever it tells you, never fold AAAA, trust me on this!

Also, 6789 is an awesome starting hand. Especially if they're not suited!

Is this still about Omaha? Why would you ever fold quad A's? Can't you still win half the pot having the high hand? If I'm around Sat afternoon, I will give it a shot.

tmdorsey said:
Is this still about Omaha? Why would you ever fold quad A's? Can't you still win half the pot having the high hand? If I'm around Sat afternoon, I will give it a shot.

You only play 2 cards from your hand, so you are only hoping for trips on the board and for no one to have quads. Quads are much more common in omaha than HE, especially if there's a lot of limping pf.

Also, say you have AAAA, the board is TTTKQ (no royal possible) and someone has KK or QQ. Your best hand is TTTAA, they have KKKTT or QQQTT.

tmdorsey

parrotbeak said:
You only play 2 cards from your hand, so you are only hoping for trips on the board and for no one to have quads. Quads are much more common in omaha than HE, especially if there's a lot of limping pf.

Also, say you have AAAA, the board is TTTKQ (no royal possible) and someone has KK or QQ. Your best hand is TTTAA, they have KKKTT or QQQTT.

Ah, gotcha.

K.Jack

Mister Zimbu said:
I bought the PLO book you suggested, K.Jack.
Good. The chapter on starting hands is required reading.

His second book is on a whole different plateau of thinking. Definitely check that out, once you've played PLO for a bit, and feel confident in the basics.

Anyway the most requisite skill, to be successful at Omaha Hi, is tilt control. You need to totally divorce yourself from the "bad beat" school of thought.

XiaNaphryz

K.Jack said:

His second book is on a whole different plateau of thinking. Definitely check that out, once you've played PLO for a bit, and feel confident in the basics.

Anyway the most requisite skill, to be successful at Omaha Hi, is tilt control. You need to totally divorce yourself from the "bad beat" school of thought.
Wait, the book you recommend only covers Omaha High? That's...going to cause some issues for Hi/Lo split games.

A Penguin

K.Jack said:

What book is this by the way? Would love to add omaha to my repertoire.

XiaNaphryz

A Penguin said:
I've always been partial to the classic "High-Low-Split Poker, Seven-Card Stud and Omaha Eight-or-better for Advanced Players" from 2+2.

I'm guessing he recommended one of Hwang's works, Advanced Pot-Limit Omaha: Small Ball and Short-Handed Play.

K.Jack

I recommended it to Zimbu, in a conversation about Hi. There's Hi/Lo authors who cover that well.
A Penguin said:
This. It's the bible.

It really is a good book- I bought into a $10 PLO game and finished $3.50 up after about 15 minutes.

I've only read 8 pages of the book so far. Given that the book is roughly 320 pages long I figure, at this rate, after I'm done reading it I'll be roughly $136 ahead per table for about $550/hr.

Not bad for a $0.05/$0.10 game.

edit: fixed math error

K.Jack

Quixzlizx said:
What is Pokerstars' rake when it comes to real money?
PS-Rake.jpg

cubanb

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
Week 3 Results (9 max NLHE)!!!!!!

Leaderboards!!!!!!! (only players with points shown)

I also have Saturday's game set up. This will either be awesome or a tremendous failure!

Next Tournament: Saturday, February 12th @ 4pm EST
Pot Limit Omaha H/L
Real Money Buyin: $3+$0.30
Play Money Buyin: 200p+15p

If you're unfamiliar with Omaha H/L, please join anyway because it's the best game ever!

Like Hold'em, there are five community cards.
Unlike Hold'em you get four hole cards instead of two.
You must play exactly three cards from the board and two from your hand.

Best 5 card hand wins half the pot.

If there's a qualifying hand, the worst hand wins the other half. Your five lowest unpaired cards are your low hand, and straights and flushes do not count against you. The low hand must be 8-high or worse to qualify.

See you at the tables!

Dang, wish I could try out Omaha H/L but I am busy at this time Saturday. Guess I'll catch the next one

BigAT

Is anyone around to possibly transfer some real money to my account? I can pay you with PayPal immediately, it's just that it's nearly impossible for me to actually get real money in by any other method.

Need more people! Still have 10 minutes of late reg.

I'm probably going to discontinue the play money games... not a whole lot of interest there at all.

XiaNaphryz

Mister Zimbu said:
Need more people! Still have 10 minutes of late reg.

I'm probably going to discontinue the play money games... not a whole lot of interest there at all.
There has to be a better way to advertise those...I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who love to play poker but aren't comfortable playing online for real money.

Won the play money game after besting the incredibly difficult field of 2 other players.

Real money is down to 4. It's looking increasingly likely that a guy that bought in and didn't show up will cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom