• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The 1000-track game music battle of all eternity. (actual voting itt)

Oh crud, I should have voted after all.

11) No More Heroes - Mach 13 Elephant Explosion (202)
13) No More Heroes - We Are Finally Cowboys (197)

Noooo!

Masked Man

I said wow
I feel like the worst person in the world for not voting recently. ;_; I've just been SO swamped with school stuff, and the internet here is just abysmally slow this year. I'll try really hard to vote this week, though!

PBalfredo

Unlike certain spoon-wielding hooligans, I won't try to influence anyone's vote. BUT everyone better give all of the EarthBound/Mother songs a good, honest listen ... or I'll say something that will cut you like a knife.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
"Earthbound is like Ron Paul: largely unremarkable and inconsequential, but the Internet won't ever shut up about it."

As far as RPGs go, some of the PS4 and Persona stuff is probably going on my list, but I haven't listened to everything yet.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
GAF did pretty good last round despite how tough the selections were. I'm glad that "The Best is Yet to Come" made it into the Top Ten and I'm really pleased that my suggested substitution of Okami's Kamiki Village was well received.

I'm kinda of surprised about the Outrun tracks though. I thought they were kinda boring. I'm kinda sad that Odin Sphere's Main Theme and Ninja Gaiden 4-2 didn't do better.

Voting for the next round is going to be difficult. I'm a huge Metroid fanboy which is going to make objectivity hard. =X

Sixfortyfive

Magical Sound Shower is king. The other Outrun tracks I can take or leave.

Metroid is usually boring atmospheric stuff with a few great exceptions. Kraid's Chamber and Prime 1 Title are definitely going on my list.

ZealousD

Sixfortyfive said:
Metroid is usually boring atmospheric stuff with a few great exceptions. Kraid's Chamber and Prime 1 Title are definitely going on my list.

Jeez man! Phendrana Drifts, Red Soil Brinstar, Lower Norfair! I know these are mainly atmospheric tracks but I think they all have a real unique identity to them, a real sense of melody and theme I think.

I'm glad you really like Prime 1 Menu Select though, that's probably going to be in my running for my overall #1 pick. I've actually always thought that Kraid's Lair was overrated. The notes just swing too wildly throughout the track imo.

Gelry said:
Where is the Super Metroid title theme? :'(
One of the most goosebumpy pieces of game music ever created for me. Goosebumps.Every.Fucking.Time. (From 25 seconds in)

It's a fantastic nostalgia piece but I think it's just too simple and repetitive to really be considered anything but that, which is why I didn't suggest it. Swapping it with Red Soil Brinstar or Lower Norfair would have been criminal, and the other only track left was Swampy Brinstar, which is still a real strong track.

Gelry

aka Bastiaan
I agree. It is too repetitive.
Very cool thread btw. I am looking forward to the final list. Pitty I didn't participate sooner.

scarybore

Panzer Dragoon was robbed even with Flight coming 10th, but I'm glad Outrun made it and Metal Gear didn't dominate as Megaman had.

Gelry said:
Where is the Super Metroid title theme? :'(
One of the most goosebumpy pieces of game music ever created for me. Goosebumps.Every.Fucking.Time. (From 25 seconds in)

I think I nominated it but it's perfectly understandable as to why it didn't make it to the voting stage, it is rather personal,nostalgic yet extremely effective in setting the mood rather than being an complex piece of music. I love the atmospheric/ambient stuff so I will probably be voting Metroid pretty highly in this next set anyway.

Sixfortyfive said:
"Earthbound is like Ron Paul: largely unremarkable and inconsequential, but the Internet won't ever shut up about it."

:lol

Scipius

Link to the Detailed Results for Round 12 in the OP is going to those of Round 11.

Also, listening to the samples from Persona 3 finally decided whether I'm going to buy it or not.

Who the hell thinks rap is a good idea in a j-RPG?

ZealousD

1. Metroid Prime - Main Menu
2. Super Metroid - Brinstar (Red Soil)
3. Super Metroid - Lower Norfair
4. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Title
5. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Gandrayda
6. Metroid - Brinstar
7. Portal - Still Alive
8. Metroid Prime - Ice Valley (Phendrana Drifts)
9. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Time Only Knows
10. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Rundas
11. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Skytown
12. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Temple Grounds
13. Metroid Prime - Talon Overworld 2
14. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - The Bridge Fight
15. Phantasy Star 4: End of the Millenium - Laughter (Zio / Lashiec)
16. Super Metroid - Brinstar Overgrown
17. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Torvus Bog
18. Mother - Bein' Friends
19. Metroid Fusion - Sector 4 (AQA)
20. Metroid 2: Return of Samus - Ending

I tried to be impartial GAF. I really and truly did. But even after listening to every other song, I couldn't break my Metroid fanboy. =(

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
1. EarthBound - Because I Love You
2. Mother 3 - Love Theme
3. Mother - All That I Needed Was You
4. EarthBound - Good Friends, Bad Friends
5. Mother - Pollyanna
6. Metroid Prime - Main Menu
7. Super Metroid - Brinstar (Red Soil)
8. Mother 3 - 16 Melodies
9. Super Metroid - Lower Norfair
10. Super Metroid - Brinstar Overgrown
11. EarthBound - Fourside
12. Mother - Bein' Friends
13. Metroid Prime - Ice Valley (Phendrana Drifts)
14. Metroid Prime - Talon Overworld 2
15. Mother 3 - Porky's Pokies

Geez 4 out of my all-time top 10 games in one spot, tough choices.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
LttP but yay Gusty Galaxy dominated Round 10. ^,^

Also people who voted Boomer Kuwanger: you're awesome.

ZealousD

Bumping to encourage votes, so sixfortyfive doesn't have to.

Azure J

God, I am such a terribly biased voter:

1. Metroid - Kraid's Lair
2. Mother - Pollyanna
3. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Rundas
4. Metroid Prime - Main Menu
5. Metroid - Brinstar
6. Metroid Prime - Ice Valley (Phendrana Drifts)
7. Super Metroid - Brinstar Overgrown
8. Metroid Prime - Talon Overworld 2
9. Mother 3 - Porky's Pokies
10. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Title
11. Mother 3 - Love Theme
12. Metroid 2: Return of Samus - Ending
13. Super Metroid - Lower Norfair
14. Super Metroid - Brinstar (Red Soil)

It's always Nintendo & SEGA stuff that I wind up voting on in these rounds, but hey, they are the ones responsible for the music of my youth. :lol

Also, the Metroid Prime 2 picks... ;_;

No Emperor Ing 1, Quadraxis & Escape Theme makes me a sad panda.

Sixfortyfive

AzureJericho said:
God, I am such a terribly biased voter
You fuckers can vote on games you haven't played, you know. That's kind of why Youtube links go in the OP. :p

Haven't bothered to cast my vote yet, but I think I've settled on an order:

1. Phantasy Star 4: End of the Millenium - Ooze (Final Profound Darkness)
2. Phantasy Star 4: End of the Millenium - Laughter (Zio / Lashiec)
3. Metroid Prime - Main Menu
4. Phantasy Star 4: End of the Millenium - PS1 Dungeon Arrange 2
5. Phantasy Star Online Episode 3: C.A.R.D. Revolution - Tower of Caelum
6. Persona 3 - Battle Hymn of the Soul
7. Phantasy Star - Dungeon 3: Tower
8. Power Blade - Sector 1
9. Metroid - Kraid's Lair
10. Persona 3 - Shadow
11. Phantasy Star 2 - Rise or Fall (Battle Theme)
12. Persona 3 - Mass Destruction
13. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Title
14. Super Metroid - Brinstar Overgrown
15. Super Metroid - Lower Norfair

- Mass Destruction would probably be higher if it weren't for the vocals.
- Almost gave up on Tower of Caelum, but it gets better about 2 minutes in.

Turnout looks like it's going to be disappointingly low again, but this is the first time since round 7 that every song on the list has received at least one vote.

Azure J

Hey, it's not like I don't give everything else a listen. :lol

Gotta say though, with the way things are looking right now, my iPod will be stuffed full of some interesting songs.

ZealousD

AzureJericho said:
Gotta say though, with the way things are looking right now, my iPod will be stuffed full of some interesting songs.

Does that include Monty on the Run?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Still have no idea why the mods won't sticky this. It's got just as much effort and dedication as EviLore's Anime Recommendation voting thread.

PBalfredo

1. Mother 3 - 16 Melodies
2. EarthBound - Good Friends, Bad Friends
3. Mother - Pollyanna
4. EarthBound - Fourside
5. EarthBound - Because I Love You
6. Mother 3 - Love Theme
7. Metroid - Brinstar
8. Metroid Prime - Ice Valley (Phendrana Drifts)
9. Super Metroid - Lower Norfair
10. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Skytown
11. Metroid Prime - Main Menu
12. Mother 3 - Porky's Pokies
13. Mother - All That I Needed Was You
14. Super Metroid - Brinstar (Red Soil)
15. Super Metroid - Brinstar Overgrown
16. Phantasy Star Online - Can Still See the Light
17. Mother - Bein' Friends
18. Portal - Still Alive
19. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Temple Grounds
20. Phantasy Star Online Episode 3: C.A.R.D. Revolution - Tower of Caelum

Too much good stuff. I used every bit of my 20 votes and still had songs left over. Sorry Grandrayda and Rundas. EarthBound/Mother deserves much love, though. Just listen to what songs didn't make it in:

Mother - Fallin' Love
EarthBound - Pokey Means Business
EarthBound - Smiles and Tears
EarthBound - You've Come Far
Mother 3 - Theme of a Great Person
Mother 3 - Etude for Ghosts
Mother 3 - Mom's Old Home
Mother 3 - A Railway in our Village?!

Sixfortyfive

ZealousD said:
What the hell.

I just noticed that on Metroid Prime 2, you swapped out the name of Submerged Torvus Bog, but you didn't change the video.

This is the REAL Temple Grounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwjcq8Vwt24
Shit, really? :O

Damn. If this had been caught earlier, I'd change it, but I think the more appropriate fix at this point would be to change the title to reflect the video, as that's the one that's received the votes.

I'll be pulling down this set in about 5 hours.

Cosmozone

Darn it, I never was so late for voting. I had to rush through the nominations, so I hope my judgment hasn't been hit too much. I also had the impression that the set was fairly weak (except the top spots), but that's perhaps because I spent so little time on it. No big surprises either, although Power Blade had better music than I thought it would have. I was hoping that for Pop'n Twin Bee, but that was a disappointment. The original Twin Bee tune is much better than that. And Metroid Prime (1) seems to be the only Metroid game with outstanding music, too bad it lost some potential nominations due to the three tracks rule. It's title screen music is my preferred version over Prime 2's and I miss Meta Ridley. Artifact Temple, Phendrana Drift 2, the list goes on. But perhaps some of those are really remixes of the originals that would have been redundant to nominate, I don't know. Of the other music, I would recommend Privateer and Portal. My nomination for Privateer didn't make it for some reason, but the nominated one is just as good. And that Portal song was unusual and intriguing.

The results for the last set were pretty fair, altough the underdogs that should've made it didn't in the end as usual (Outlaws, Pocky & Rocky) :( But I'm glad for the exception Out Run. Had a much better fate than After Burner. Hooray!

Finally, the list:
1. Metroid Prime - Main Menu
2. Privateer - Pleasure Base
3. Metroid Prime - Talon Overworld 2
4. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Title
5. Planescape: Torment - Annah's Theme
6. Metroid Prime - Ice Valley (Phendrana Drifts)
7. Portal - Still Alive
8. Persona 3 - Battle Hymn of the Soul
9. Persona 3 - Mass Destruction
10. Power Blade - Sector 1
11. Power Blade - Sector 2
12. Mother 3 - Porky's Pokies

Sixfortyfive

Of course, right after I say half an hour some other distraction pulls me away. Working on getting the next set up right now.

Sixfortyfive

~ ROUND 13 RESULTS ~

10) Mother 3 - Love Theme (183)

9) Super Metroid - Brinstar (Red Soil) (194)

8) Persona 3 - Battle Hymn of the Soul (195)

7) Super Metroid - Lower Norfair (200)

6) Metroid - Kraid's Lair (218)

5) Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Title (228)

4) Metroid - Brinstar (285)

3) Portal - Still Alive (287)

2) Metroid Prime - Ice Valley (Phendrana Drifts) (368)

1) Metroid Prime - Main Menu (414)

Complete results for round 13 can be found here.

- The only silver lining in a list dominated by a Nintendo series with mostly mediocre music (Metroid) is that it at least nearly shuts out another Nintendo series with even more mediocre music (Earthbound). Oh yes, I went there.
- Like I said previously, although turnout is very low once again, this is the first time in several weeks that every song on the list received at least one vote. Almost all songs received at least 2. Scratch that, everything did get at least 2 votes.

Round 14 is up. This round features two popular, long-running franchises (Pokemon and Resident Evil) along with a host of other cult favorites, including a crapload of stuff I either nominated or seconded myself.

ZealousD

I hope people seriously give Road Rash's Pacific Coast a listen. There aren't too many tracks in the series I would consider Top 200 material, but Pacific Coast is so freaking catchy and varied. One of my favorite 16-bit tracks.

Not only that, but it was composed by Rob Hubbard, the same guy who did Monty on the Run! So GAF, I'm giving you a chance to redeem yourselves!

Sixfortyfive

ZealousD said:
I hope people seriously give Road Rash's Pacific Coast a listen. There aren't too many tracks in the series I would consider Top 200 material, but Pacific Coast is so freaking catchy and varied. One of my favorite 16-bit tracks.
I guess I'll have to check it out then.

I played a lot of Road Rash on the Genny, and I don't remember anything about the visuals or the audio aging well at all.

ZealousD

Sixfortyfive said:
I guess I'll have to check it out then.

I played a lot of Road Rash on the Genny, and I don't remember anything about the visuals or the audio aging well at all.

Well, Pacific Coast is really the only track that I think was superb, the rest were pretty mediocre.

I think the visuals are still good though. There's tons of parallax and the road isn't flat like in so many other old 16-bit racers.

scarybore

Those results are kind of depressing, and I like the Metroid music. I do agree with you on Mother/Earthbound, I just don't get it.

I'm surprised no Phantasy Star track did well, hell only one just made it into the top 30. Sega tracks don't seem to be doing so well from memory. :(

Cosmozone

I spotted Layton. ;-)

And those who don't like Metroid or Mother, would you have preferred Phantasy Star. :)
That's the series that's really crappy, audiowise, all IMHO of course.
. Mother wasn't that bad overall, mostly better than Metroid (other than Prime 1). From the underdog stuff I liked, at least Portal did well, even better than I thought and even entered the ranks of undeservedness.

What? How did Skytown get such low ratings? I would have voted if I knew it was going to lose.

Also, VOTE FOR LAYTON'S THEME! :D

Sixfortyfive

I think I would have preferred Stark Mountain over Coronet Peak for D/P, but oh well.

Seriously guys, this round has a lot of good stuff in it. Don't be like the asshole who just checkmarked 4 or 5 RE songs a minute after this round was posted and ignore the rest.

:p

EDIT: Also, I noticed this a while ago, but I haven't bothered mentioning it because it's never affected the 10th/11th place on the results lists so far: the instant runoff sort at the bottom of all of the results page doesn't work properly. I'm not sure if I fucked up the script for it somewhere, but it doesn't properly denote absolute ties and I'm not sure it's ranking everything correctly even if you disregard ties. If I do have to break a tie for 10th place, I'll do so by awarding the spot to whichever song has the most 1st place votes, then 2nd place votes, and so forth until the tie is broken.

I am just a lazy man and have not bothered to comment it out or remove it from the results script.

Sixfortyfive

Cosmozone said:
And those who don't like Metroid or Mother, would you have preferred Phantasy Star. :) That's the series that's really crappy, audiowise, all IMHO of course.
I'll be honest: I don't care a lot for about half of the PS stuff that I posted to my very own Youtube page. I just thought the existing Youtube links for those songs were of too crappy a quality to do them justice.

The PS4 tracks are superb though, and nobody disses the PS1 dungeon themes.

Sixfortyfive

Dang. These are all of the songs I felt like voting for even before listening to anything I wasn't already familiar with:

Pokemon Red & Blue - Vermilion City
Pokemon Red & Blue - Gym Battle
Pokemon Red & Blue - Team Rocket HQ
Pokemon Diamond & Pearl - Team Galactic Battle
Pokemon Diamond & Pearl - Dialga/Palika battle theme
Radiant Silvergun - Evasion (Stage 4)
Radiant Silvergun - Space Battle Ship 130 33KI (Stage 5)
Radiant Silvergun - Feel Invisible Matter (Ending)
Ranger-X - Stage 3
Ranger-X - Stage 6
Ristar - On Parade (Stage 4-2)
Ristar - Greedy Game ~Theme of Kaiser~ (Final Boss)
Ristar - Credits 1
Roommania #203 - My Mashu
Sakura Wars - Geki! Teikokukagekidan (Opening Theme)
Sakura Wars 3: Is Paris Burning - The Future (Voyage)
San Francisco RUSH - What's Your Name?
San Francisco RUSH 2049 - Bassy
Segata Sanshiro Shinkenyugi - Sega Saturn, Shiro!

First time in a while that I'm going to have to make cuts for 20.

Cosmozone

Sixfortyfive said:
The PS4 tracks are superb though, and nobody disses the PS1 dungeon themes.
Hm. They all sounded boring to me, comparable to half-life or something.

Okay, let's talk about Layton. Does anybody know, if the theme from the Layton2 trailer (taking off at 1:04) is in the game? That would be so rad. Damn, and the first Layton came out only recently in Europe. Such a long wait :(

Edit: Argh, it's late. See you tomorrow, guys.

ZealousD

1. Resident Evil 4 - The Mercenaries ~ Wesker
2. Road Rash - Pacific Coast
3. Pokemon Red & Blue - Gym Battle
4. Resident Evil Outbreak - Resident Evil Outbreak Main Title Theme
5. Psychonauts - Black Velvetopian Streets
6. Ranger-X - Stage 3
7. Ragnarok Online - Streamside
8. Segata Sanshiro Shinkenyugi - Sega Saturn, Shiro!
9. Rez - Fear (Area 5)

I thought it was a pretty quiet round, wasn't too much that caught my ear.

Broken Links
Ratchet 3 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=d48hVMZQjmU
RE 2 Credit Line - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRI1eXAxsp4

Cosmozone

ZealousD said:
I thought it was a pretty quiet round, wasn't too much that caught my ear.
Oh, really? I thought it was better than most rounds, in a general sense. Not as much crap as usual and most music at least has some personality and ideas in it. So in fact, I decided to do a full vote of 20 for the first time, although the top spots haven't amazed me as much as some of the previous sets.

Couple of surprises this time around, some greater as Ragnarök Online, that was only known to me by annoying TV ads so far, some smaller like Ranger X for some decent older stuff. Sakura Wars has touched a soft spot, I like this kind of music. :) Otherwise I probably wouldn't have voted it so high. Already knew about the cool Segata video, but that's not from a game? Whatever, it's cool. After playing Pokemon Colosseum I had some vague hopes for the other games in the series, but almost all of it was boring. Same for Resident Evil, but I somewhat knew that. I played RE4 and REmake, neither had anything worthwhile.

Here's my vote:
1. Ragnarok Online - Can't go Home Again Baby
2. Professor Layton - Layton's Theme
3. R-Type (Amiga) - Intro
4. Segata Sanshiro Shinkenyugi - Sega Saturn, Shiro!
5. Roommania #203 - My Mashu
6. Sakura Wars - Geki! Teikokukagekidan (Opening Theme)
7. Ridge Racer Type 4 - One More Win
8. Ratchet and Clank 3 - Courtney Gears Video
9. Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire - Sootopolis City
10. Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear - Theme
11. Ranger-X - Stage 3
12. Ranger-X - Stage 6
13. Sakura Wars 2 - The DreamContinues
14. Ridge Racer Type 4 - PearlBlueSoul
15. Ridge Racer Type 4 - Your vibe
16. Psychonauts - Agent Cruller's Sacred Hall
17. SaGa Frontier 2 - Mißgestalt
18. Resident Evil 3 - Free From Fear