• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The 1000-track game music battle of all eternity. (actual voting itt)

Listen up all you 2D Sonic lovers! If you overshadow the Sonic Adventure tracks, I shall exact my wrath upon this thread, the likes of which you have never seen!*

*May or may not be true

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Death_Born said:
Listen up all you 2D Sonic lovers! If you overshadow the Sonic Adventure tracks, I shall exact my wrath upon this thread, the likes of which you have never seen!*

I can let you borrow one of my spoons.

ZealousD

1. Sonic Adventure 2 - Live and Learn (Main Theme)
2. Sonic Adventure 2 - Supporting Me (vs Biolizard)
3. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Ice Cap Zone Act 1
4. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - Green Hill Zone
5. Sonic & Knuckles - Sky Sanctuary Zone
6. Sonic & Knuckles - Flying Battery Zone Act 1
7. Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn) - Panic Puppet Zone Act 1
8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - Emerald Hill Zone
9. Sonic & Knuckles - Sandopolis Zone Act 2
10. Sonic Adventure - Open Your Heart (Main Theme)
11. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Hydrocity Zone Act 2
12. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - Star Light Zone
13. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Final Boss
14. Sonic Rush - Ethno Circus
15. Sonic R - Work It Out (Instrumental)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog CD (JPN) - Metallic Madness Zone (Present)
17. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - Chemical Plant Zone
18. Sonic R - Livin' in the City (Instrumental)
19. Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn) - Rusty Ruin Zone Act 2
20. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - Mystic Cave Zone

Nostalgia almost certainly played a role in my picks here, but I'll be damned if I didn't try and fight it. I gave every single track a listen and it still ended up that 80% of my picks were from games I've played. The Sonic R stuff was a nice surprise, and I liked the Saturn 3D Blast tracks. I think I prefer the MD/GEN version of Rusty Ruin though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've played every Sonic game in the OP. 3D Blast is a shitty game, but I was at least able to get some use out of it as an audio CD.

If you want a few laughs, search for the vocal versions of the Sonic R tracks.

KajunW

ZealousD said:
What the hell GAF? You decided to pick a SD3 track and you chose Nuclear Fusion over Sacrifice Part 3?

You guys must have seen the beatmania and then immediately became biased against it. That's the only explanation I can come up with!

I'm sad to see Sacrifice Part 3 out of the contest already. Another one of my overall top ten songs bites the dust.

But the truth is that not everybody has played Seiken 3 all the way through. People who only played the game once, or never played the game, will most likely pick the most catchy song. Nuclear Fusion fits that description well. Sacrifice Part 3 takes a little bit getting used to. And it only gets played once during the game, whereas Nuclear Fusion is played in each boss battle. I remember liking Nuclear Fusion immediately, and only after repeated plays did I appreciate Sacrifice Part 3.

Btw, I could not find a different video than the beatmania one, at that time.

Sixfortyfive

Might as well throw this out there while we've still got a week or two to go:

How should voting for the finalists be conducted? Should we just throw all 210-220 finalists on a single voting list and pick 20 as usual? Would 20 choices not be enough, or would attempting to order more than 20 be ridiculous? Should we split the finalists into 3 or 4 sets instead of voting on everything at once, making the contest a 3-step process instead of 2-step?

At any rate, I'm probably going to give this thread a rest for a little while before starting the finals, or I might make a new thread for it. I want to try and increase the turnout for the end of the contest.

Sixfortyfive said:
Might as well throw this out there while we've still got a week or two to go:

How should voting for the finalists be conducted? Should we just throw all 210-220 finalists on a single voting list and pick 20 as usual? Would 20 choices not be enough, or would attempting to order more than 20 be ridiculous? Should we split the finalists into 3 or 4 sets instead of voting on everything at once, making the contest a 3-step process instead of 2-step?

At any rate, I'm probably going to give this thread a rest for a little while before starting the finals, or I might make a new thread for it. I want to try and increase the turnout for the end of the contest.

All of the finalists should be split up into 50 song lists as usual. That way, the number of finalists will be decreased to 40. Then 2 more 20 song lists to make 20, which leaves one list.

Maybe the late nominations could get a special "late nom" vote, and then be included in the finalists.

Azure J

First things first, fuck you, yes you the person reading this, for not making sure that Wrapped in Black (Sonic Rush) wasn't nominated for the Sonic round. I mean seriously, I could have probably dealt with everything better if a different Rush track was selected as representation, but Ethno Circus over "Right There, Ride On!", "Metal Scratchin'" "Jeh Jeh Rocket", "Ska Cha Cha", "Get Edgy", "What U Need", "Vela-Nova" (Parts 1 & 2) AND "Wrapped In Black" (Parts 1 & 2)? (All Sonic versions btw, the Blaze remixes ranged from meh to alright)

Me am cry.

Now then, getting that rant out of the way, time for the votes:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Final Boss
2. Sonic the Hedgehog CD (JPN) - Stardust Speedway Zone (Present)
3. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Hydrocity Zone Act 2
4. Sonic & Knuckles - Flying Battery Zone Act 1
5. Sonic the Hedgehog CD (JPN) - Metallic Madness Zone (Present)
6. Sonic Adventure 2 - Supporting Me (vs Biolizard)
7. Sonic R - Work It Out (Instrumental)
8. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Ice Cap Zone Act 1
9. Sonic R - Livin' in the City (Instrumental)
10. Sonic the Hedgehog (GG) - Bridge Zone
11. Sonic Adventure 2 - Live and Learn (Main Theme)
12. Sonic Adventure - Open Your Heart (Main Theme)
13. Sonic & Knuckles - Sky Sanctuary Zone
14. Sonic & Knuckles - Sandopolis Zone Act 2
15. Sonic Adventure - Speed Highway ~At Dawn~
16. Sonic R - Can You Feel the Sunshine (Instrumental)
17. Sonic Rush - Ethno Circus
18. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - Emerald Hill Zone
19. Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble - Sunset Park Zone Act 3

I gotta say though, I didn't expect the top ten votes outside of Sonic 3's Final Boss theme to look like that. Also, while it might be up in the top ten for me, I will say that Ice Cap Zone Act 1 is overrated. Ice Cap Zone Act 2 however... :lol

Finally Supporting Me (Sonic Adventure 2) better make it into the overall top ten dammit if only for the awesome moment in the song at around 50 or so seconds in. I tried hard enough to place it into the top 5 but alas, so much good old school took over.

Sixfortyfive

IMO, Sonic Rush has one more song entered into this contest than it deserves. My hatred for that game is unlimited.

The only motivation I had to reach the next stage was to get it to stop playing whatever ear-raping noise that the speakers were producing. Unfortunately, the next stage would come and its music would suck every bit as much as the last.

Azure J

Sixfortyfive said:
IMO, Sonic Rush has one more song entered into this contest than it deserves. My hatred for that game is unlimited.

The only motivation I had to reach the next stage was to get it to stop playing whatever ear-raping noise that the speakers were producing. Unfortunately, the next stage would come and its music would suck every bit as much as the last.

You have no soul. D:

Just playing. I understand and respect your difference in opinion.

1. Sonic Adventure - Open Your Heart (Main Theme)
2. Sonic Adventure 2 - Live and Learn (Main Theme)
3. Sonic Adventure 2 - Supporting Me (vs Biolizard)
4. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Final Boss
5. Sonic R - Livin' in the City (Instrumental)
6. Sonic R - Work It Out (Instrumental)
7. Super Dodge Ball - Team Shadow
8. Sonic Adventure 2 - Metal Harbor
9. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - Marble Zone
10. Sonic & Knuckles - Flying Battery Zone Act 1
11. Sonic R - Can You Feel the Sunshine (Instrumental)
12. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Hydrocity Zone Act 2
13. Sonic the Hedgehog CD (JPN) - Stardust Speedway Zone (Present)
14. Sonic Adventure - Speed Highway ~At Dawn~
15. Suikoden 3 - Ai wo Koete

MUST...GIVE...RECOGNITION...TO...SUPER...DODGEBALL...

Sixfortyfive

Okay, since it's topical and I'm looking for reasons to keep this thread visible, I assume that most everyone here has heard of the theorized link between Sonic 3 and Michael Jackson? MJ was hired to work on the game but got ditched when his scandals started to attract a lot of negative publicity. Evidence shows that a lot of the songs that made it into the final game still have a lot of drastic similarities to his songs, though, and the STH3 credits still list several American composers and producers who have worked with Jackson in the past. Even when the game was new, I often thought that the miniboss theme was rather unusual for a Sonic track and probably influenced by one of MJ's works. (I also find it curious that this is one of the few STH3 tracks that was removed and replaced in S&K/S3&K altogether.)

Some other links and mashups of somewhat questionable quality:
Sonic 3 Credits / Stranger in Moscow
Ice Cap / Who Is It?
Knuckles' Theme (also the Miniboss percussion track) seems to match a handful of other tunes as well.

Also: Bridge Zone vs Janet Jackson's "Together Again"

Anybody have links to other peculiar similarities between video game music and other works, Sonic or otherwise?

Sciz

Sixfortyfive said:
Anybody have links to other peculiar similarities between video game music and other works, Sonic or otherwise?
I've documented most all of the known Sonic stuff over in my appreciation thread.

A few thoughts on the current set:

1. VOTE SUPER DODGEBALL, it's the only other thing I bothered nominating besides Monty and the entire OST is excellent.
2. The post-Saturn Sonic nominations are a mix of the exceedingly predictable and exceptionally unworthy. Seriously, who decided My Sweet Passion should get in over the likes of Crazy Robo, Sky Deck a Go Go!, Be Cool, Be Wild and Be Groovy, or even Azure Blue World/Windy and Ripply?
3. The near-complete lack of post-SA2 representation is nothing short of utterly, absolutely criminal.

Sixfortyfive

Hey, don't look at me. I made sure that the 8-bit games and Saturn games were represented, and I would have ditched Amy's SA1 theme if it weren't for the fact that it was the only track from that game not nominated by yours truly. I have strong opinions on Sonic music, but I usually don't like to monopolize the entire list.

I'm also not terribly familiar with the OSTs of Sonic's recent outings, as I have long since given up on the franchise.

At any rate, that appreciation thread is pretty cool. FYI, "Bean the Dynamite" made his debut in an old 2D Sega arcade game called Dynamite Dux, not Sonic the Fighters.

ZealousD

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm also not terribly familiar with the OSTs of Sonic's recent outings, as I have long since given up on the franchise.

Save for Solaris Phase 2 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRe3h1iQ1Os ) from Sonic 360 (which I now regret not including in my late nominations), no other Sonic songs since Sonic Adventure 2 are really worthy of being nominated.

Sixfortyfive

~ ROUND 16 RESULTS ~

10) Skies of Arcadia - Main Theme (139)

9) Starfox Assault - Star Fox Theme (144)

8) Soul Edge - The Egde Of Soul (Openning Theme) (145)

7) Starfox - Space Armada (175)

5) Starfox - Staff Roll/Main Theme (177)

5) Streets of Rage - Fighting in the Street (Round 1) (177)

4) Silent Hill 2 - Promise (180)

3) Silent Hill - Main theme (250)

2) Silent Hill 2 - Theme of Laura (286)

1) Starfox - Corneria (319)

Complete results for round 16 can be found here.

- Fucking Starfox over SoR? I don't even know where to begin. I must be surrounded by Nintendo kids who don't know any better. Silent Hill I can deal with; it's not really my thing, but at least it's quality.

Round 17 is still up and Round 18 has also been posted. Late nominations will remain open until the last round of voting.

ZealousD

Sixfortyfive said:
- Fucking Starfox over SoR? I don't even know where to begin. I must be surrounded by Nintendo kids who don't know any better. Silent Hill I can deal with; it's not really my thing, but at least it's quality.

As both a Sega and Nintendo fan, I can safely say that the Starfox stuff is actually pretty decent. I do think having 4 songs in the Top Ten is a bit much though. Just remember that you have your own pro-Sega bias yourself, so just remember that there are probably others who feel just the opposite of you.

As a slight correction, I found out it's the Tetris theme is actually Tetris Type A, not Type 1. So the YouTube video is labeled incorrectly.

ZealousD

Okay, another correction. The song labeled as the Smash Bros version of Green Greens is actually called Gourmet Race, and is a remix of a Kirby Super Star track. The video appears to only be labeled Green Greens because that's the name of the stage.

Gourmet Race was actually one of the late nominations I ended up rejecting. I actually didn't even know it was nominated. =X

ZealousD

TRIPLE POST ZOMGZ

1. Street Fighter 2 - Ryu's Theme
2. Super Street Fighter 2 - Guile's theme
3. Street Fighter 2 - Ken's Theme
4. Tetris - Type A (listed as Type 1)
5. Super Smash Bros - Gourmet Race (listed as Green Greens)
6. Tekken 5 - Moonlit Wilderness
7. Street Fighter 2 - Balrog's Theme
8. Tales of Symphonia - Starry Heavens ~hiroic version~
9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade) - Fire! (Scene 1, Stage 1)
10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time - Sewer Surfin'
11. Super Smash Bros Brawl - Meta Knight's Revenge (from Kirby Super Star)
12. Super Smash Bros Brawl - Final Destination
13. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time - Going up
14. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike - The Beep (Remy)
15. Tecmo World Wrestling - Fight music 3
16. Tales of Phantasia (SNES) - Stream of Time
17. Street Fighter Alpha 3 - On the Road
18. Sword of Mana - Battle 1

God damn I love Street Fighter 2's music. I remember when sixfortyfive initially thought of limiting the noms to one track per game, the first thing I thought was how some extremely deserving Street Fighter 2 tracks would be left out. Suffice it to say, I'm glad he reversed that decision.

Tekken 5's Moonlit Wilderness was the big surprise this round for me. Really good stuff, hope it does well too.

Askia47

1. street fighter 3: third Strike lets get it on
2. tekken 4 authentic sky
3. street fighter 3: third Strike dudley's theme

Sixfortyfive

ZealousD said:
As both a Sega and Nintendo fan, I can safely say that the Starfox stuff is actually pretty decent. I do think having 4 songs in the Top Ten is a bit much though. Just remember that you have your own pro-Sega bias yourself, so just remember that there are probably others who feel just the opposite of you.

As a slight correction, I found out it's the Tetris theme is actually Tetris Type A, not Type 1. So the YouTube video is labeled incorrectly.
Pft. I like Starfox just fine, and I've been voting for plenty of songs from shitty games anyway.

At any rate, I've re-sorted the list.txt file so that the semifinalists are now grouped together. I'd have posted the complete list in the OP, but it would go over the character limit. Despite my constant whining at the results, I must say that the current list is shaping up to be rather impressive.

Also, I'm about ready to settle on the following for the semifinal rounds:
- A total of 220 tracks from the first 21-22 rounds will make it to the semifinals, split into 4 sets of 55 songs each. Songs from the same franchise will still be grouped together.
- Voting will be conducted like the current sets: 2 sets go up at a time and stay up for a week, everyone gets to pick and order 20 tracks from each set.
- 15 songs from each semifinal set advance, resulting in a final list of 60 tracks. This will be the last round of voting.

This sound alright?

Sorry but where's the good Sonic Adventure songs like "It Doesn't Matter".

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Ice Cap Zone Act 1
2. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - Marble Zone
3. Sonic the Hedgehog CD (JPN) - Stardust Speedway Zone (Present)
4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - Mystic Cave Zone
5. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Hydrocity Zone Act 2
6. Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn) - Panic Puppet Zone Act 1
7. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - Chemical Plant Zone
8. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Final Boss
9. Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble - Sunset Park Zone Act 3
10. Super Star Soldier - Level 1
11. Sonic & Knuckles - Flying Battery Zone Act 1
12. Sonic the Hedgehog (GG) - Scrap Brain Zone
13. Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn) - Rusty Ruin Zone Act 2

Cosmozone

Funny results. I think Corneria is the only Star Fox theme that I haven't thrown away right from the start. The rest is just complete and utter garbage (sorry, Mr. Composer). For the other non-SH-stuff, I think I have at least voted for it.

For the set with Sonic in it, there was much material with similar quality, but voting for it was surprisingly easy. Classic Sonic games have decent music I must say, somewhat more so than the Mario games, their big rivals. Most notable is the original Sonic the Hedgehog, which I've played just recently. What a charming game and excellent music. I think that's the first time I've voted a mainstream classic game this high. Definitely deserves this status. For the other Sonic games, I didn't expect anything special except the trashy entertaining rock themes, but Live and Learn was the only one that was fun enough. There was another one I liked, in Sonic and the Secret Rings, but that wasn't nominated, only some inferior tune. On the other hand there were two other games, Sonic 3D Blast and Knuckles Chaotix with their surprisingly mellow and well-rounded tunes, although not high class. The non-Sonic-tracks where a little letdown, but there weren't many of them, after all. However, one tune, Suikoden 3 - Ai wo Koete was very nice. Too bad about Monkey Ball. I remember hearing a gameplay clip from Monkey Ball Adventure or what it was called, that was better than all nominated tracks.

The vote for this set (I'm listening to the other while writing this. :) ) :
1. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - Green Hill Zone
2. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - Marble Zone
3. Suikoden 3 - Ai wo Koete
4. Sonic Adventure 2 - Live and Learn (Main Theme)
5. Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn) - Panic Puppet Zone Act 1
6. Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn) - Rusty Ruin Zone Act 2
7. Knuckles Chaotix - Evening Star
8. Knuckles Chaotix - Door Into Summer
9. Sonic the Hedgehog CD (JPN) - Stardust Speedway Zone (Present)
10. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - Emerald Hill Zone
11. Sonic & Knuckles - Flying Battery Zone Act 1
12. Sonic Adventure - My Sweet Passion (Amy Rose)
13. Sonic Rush - Ethno Circus - What the hell is THAT?!? :lol (should've voted it higher)
14. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Hydrocity Zone Act 2
15. Suikoden 3 - Stupid Ducks
16. Sonic Adventure - Speed Highway ~At Dawn~
17. Sonic Adventure 2 - Supporting Me (vs Biolizard)
18. Suikoden 3 - Blade
19. Suikoden 2 - Beautiful Morning
20. Super Star Soldier - Level 1

ZealousD

Sixfortyfive said:
Pft. I like Starfox just fine, and I've been voting for plenty of songs from shitty games anyway.

At any rate, I've re-sorted the list.txt file so that the semifinalists are now grouped together. I'd have posted the complete list in the OP, but it would go over the character limit. Despite my constant whining at the results, I must say that the current list is shaping up to be rather impressive.

Also, I'm about ready to settle on the following for the semifinal rounds:
- A total of 220 tracks from the first 21-22 rounds will make it to the semifinals, split into 4 sets of 55 songs each. Songs from the same franchise will still be grouped together.
- Voting will be conducted like the current sets: 2 sets go up at a time and stay up for a week, everyone gets to pick and order 20 tracks from each set.
- 15 songs from each semifinal set advance, resulting in a final list of 60 tracks. This will be the last round of voting.

This sound alright?

Two things:

1.) How big do we want our final list to be? 60? 100? 200? 220? And then how would it be ordered? I was thinking we'd maybe do Top 200 and then drop out the bottom 5 of each to make that list. For listings 200 through 61, we could rank them by their average vote score (Final score divided by number of participants). If we decide to do a Top 100, we could cut out the bottom 100 the same way, by dropping the 120 songs with the lowest vote average.

2.) I'm not sure about having a 60 track finale. We could do that initially, but I think maybe just to make sure out list is the most accurate it can be near the top (where it really matters), we could do a revote on the Top 10 or 20. I think a smaller list would encourage more people to vote too.

Sixfortyfive

I can't think of a better way to combine the results from different sets for a top 200, so I imagine that I'll do something like that to determine the order for 61-200.

You and Death_Born both seem to want the final final round to consist of a rather small number of tracks (20 or less). That's fine by me. I didn't know if people would be more interested in just reducing the number of times they'd have to vote (ending at a final list of ~60) or if they'd want to have a small number of finalists so that the songs at the very top get a greater amount of scrutiny. So far people seem to be leaning towards the latter.

So how about: 220 (split across 4 sets) -> 60 (1 set) -> 20 (1 set)?

I'm also thinking of doing a slideshow for the top 20-60, but I need to find a website that would host it. I tried Google video earlier to test things out, but they're strict against this sort of thing. I do have a nicovideo account, but I'm not very Japanese-literate and would need to spend some time figuring out how to use it.

ZealousD

Sixfortyfive said:
I can't think of a better way to combine the results from different sets for a top 200, so I imagine that I'll do something like that to determine the order for 61-200.

You and Death_Born both seem to want the final final round to consist of a rather small number of tracks (20 or less). That's fine by me. I didn't know if people would be more interested in just reducing the number of times they'd have to vote (ending at a final list of ~60) or if they'd want to have a small number of finalists so that the songs at the very top get a greater amount of scrutiny. So far people seem to be leaning towards the latter.

So how about: 220 (split across 4 sets) -> 60 (1 set) -> 20 (1 set)?

We're already gonna have like 26 votes when this thing is over, 1 more won't hurt. Plus I think that smaller list means more people will spend the time to vote. The last set is always the most important too, because it's really the Top 20 or so that gets the most attention. So I feel a greater amount of scrutiny should be applied to them.

That setup looks good to me.

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm also thinking of doing a slideshow for the top 20-60, but I need to find a website that would host it. I tried Google video earlier to test things out, but they're strict against this sort of thing. I do have a nicovideo account, but I'm not very Japanese-literate and would need to spend some time figuring out how to use it.

Well you could just post videos individually on YouTube. One video for #60, One for #59..... etc...

I was also thinking maybe just one video for the Top 20 with samples of songs rather than the full versions. Would be good for consumption by the general internet.

Sixfortyfive

ZealousD said:
I was also thinking maybe just one video for the Top 20 with samples of songs rather than the full versions. Would be good for consumption by the general internet.
I agree in theory, but that is far more editing than I care to do myself.

Uploading individual tracks to Youtube and then just creating a playlist would be an easy way out. I might go with that.

Sixfortyfive

God, now you've got me thinking of how much effort I should bother putting into the presentation. I am considering GISing for more art and screens for slideshow title cards. (I had some good ones ready for round 1 when I was using them to make a test video. Remember those?)

I'll probably only bother uploading the top 20 myself and just use existing Youtube links for the rest, all assembled into a single playlist.

ZealousD

Sixfortyfive said:
God, now you've got me thinking of how much effort I should bother putting into the presentation. I am considering GISing for more art and screens for slideshow title cards. (I had some good ones ready for round 1 when I was using them to make a test video. Remember those?)

I'll probably only bother uploading the top 20 myself and just use existing Youtube links for the rest, all assembled into a single playlist.

I think we could do both. You could make the playlist (20 yourself sounds good) and then I could edit a single video with shorter clips of the Top 20 with a link to the full list. I'd like to not only outdo 2ch on this one, but ScrewAttack as well. So getting noticed with a shorter video would be nice. =)

Cosmozone

Another 20 titles vote. Hey, I'm getting better! The set itself is mediocre, though. Could have been at least a little better, when the nominations would've been sweeter for me. No Melee menu music in either form? Bah. And something that sounds like the remix of a remix of the Brawl main theme. I think I've seen my former #1 of this set Tekken 4 Prologue in the preview list earlier, but somehow it disappeared. Way to go, that leaves this set with no real highlight. Well, there's the Ocarina Medley, but that's feeding on the past. There are some lesser surprises, though, Green Greens from the original SSB, didn't expect much at all from this game (well, perhaps I voted this a little too high to fit my tastes) and as much I was disappointed in Tekken 5's music after enjoying the predecessor's, Moonlit Wilderness came off nice. Disappointed about TMNT. Somehow I hoped it's music was better. I was having a blast with the arcade game back in the day.

The vote:
1. Super Smash Bros Brawl - Ocarina of Time Medley (from Zelda:OoT)
2. Tekken 4 - Authentic Sky (Rooftop stage)
3. Super Smash Bros - Green Greens
4. Tekken 4 - Honmaru (The Inner Temple)
5. Tekken 5 - Moonlit Wilderness
6. Super Smash Bros Melee - Temple
7. Super Smash Bros Brawl - Meta Knight's Revenge (from Kirby Super Star)
8. Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha - Precious Heart
9. Tempest 2000 - Thermal Resolution
10. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike - Dudley
11. Tales of Phantasia (SNES) - Stream of Time
12. Super Smash Bros Melee - Fountain of Dreams
13. Super Smash Bros Brawl - Final Destination
14. Super Smash Bros Melee - Opening
15. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game (NES) - Technodrome
16. Tetris - Type 1
17. Tiny Toon Wacky Sports Challenge - Birdman
18. Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the New World - Collet ~it is sad~
19. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Back from the Sewers (GB) - Dead End
20. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Back from the Sewers (GB) - Bump Me

Sorry, can't really think too much about the modus. Too much else on my mind. :)

Edit: The Authentic Sky link was broken in the original list, I've corrected it now in mine, totally forgot about that.

ZealousD

Cosmozone said:
There are some lesser surprises, though, Green Greens from the original SSB, didn't expect much at all from this game.

Like I was saying before, the track is actually called "Gourmet Race" and its from Kirby Super Star. The SSB version is probably the best form of it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2cVc1I1qCY

There's also a pretty funny Snoop Dogg mashup that uses it, if you can believe that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXzg0D-cKds

Plus the Kirby Falcon PAUNCH song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY7xg92aNrY

Drakken

As far as the final rounds go, I'm definitely in favor of voting more times on a smaller number of tracks each time rather than having to wade through 50+ tracks.

ZealousD

PBalfredo said:
The overlapping sets are starting to confuse me. When does set 18 end?

Friday. Set 17 ends today and then Set 19 will go up.

Each set lasts a week now, and the lower number set ends first. Stuff still goes up on Mondays and Fridays.

Sixfortyfive

Speaking of which, the exact time when the next set goes up might be a little sporadic this week, as I'm working night shifts and sleeping through most of the day. They'll probably still be posted between 9PM and midnight EST, but I probably won't have time to post an hour advance warning or anything.

Sixfortyfive

~ ROUND 17 RESULTS ~

10) Sonic the Hedgehog CD (JPN) - Stardust Speedway Zone (Present) (124)

9) Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Final Boss (135)

8) Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Ice Cap Zone Act 1 (153)

7) Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Hydrocity Zone Act 2 (168)

6) Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - Marble Zone (179)

5) Sonic & Knuckles - Flying Battery Zone Act 1 (181)

4) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - Emerald Hill Zone (186)

3) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - Chemical Plant Zone (203)

2) Sonic Adventure 2 - Live and Learn (Main Theme) (207)

1) Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - Green Hill Zone (338)

Complete results for round 17 can be found here.

- Sonic is the 3rd franchise in the contest to lock up an entire top 10.
- The Genesis games dominated, which is somewhat unfortunate but predictable.
- Green Hill Zone ran away with the #1 spot. It's deserving, I think, but it's strange that it's not talked about much. I guess the truly iconic pieces don't have to be.
- To fill this round's "Sixfortyfive hates popular things" quotient: Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant suck. Sonic 2's soundtrack is by far the weakest of the original games and yet it seems to be the most-liked.

Round 18 is still up and Round 19 has also been posted. Late nominations will remain open until Friday evening.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dammit, if only Sonic Boom was there instead of Live & Learn this list would have been perfect.

Sixfortyfive said:
- To fill this round's "Sixfortyfive hates popular things" quotient: Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant suck. Sonic 2's soundtrack is by far the weakest of the original games and yet it seems to be the most-liked.
>:-|

ZealousD

Sixfortyfive said:

Don't forget that Open Your Heart was obliterated by Live and Learn.

I'm honestly surprised Marble Zone made it though. I expected Star Light to be the #2 from the original game.

Also, lol at Amy Rose getting last place.

Sixfortyfive

Live and Learn is an okay song though. I just don't think it's as good as Open Your Heart because the lyrics don't seem to apply to anything in the game or make that much sense.

Marble Zone is one of the best songs in the original Sonic. I think people tend to overlook it sometimes because the level itself isn't terribly awesome.

I should have replaced Amy's theme, but like I said, I had already handpicked the other two songs from that game myself and I don't think anyone stepped up with a replacement until after the fact.

Top Bottom