• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what is the reaction at Sony Corp. today?

Seriously, I think Sony is scared of all of the negative press surrounding the XBox used game policy and the mandatory 24hr. internet verifications. I think that Sony was planning to do one of those, and they're wondering how they can still do one of them, but still look good to the public. Maybe monthly internet verifications?? Lol

They are worried, because this is exactly their plan. I can't imagine the publishers are going to "let it slide" on the PS4 while enforcing this type of stuff on the XBO.

But, they needn't be too worried, MS likes to have a stranglehold while Sony will be trying to play catch-up the draconian control which will work out great for me.

Seriously, I think Sony is scared of all of the negative press surrounding the XBox used game policy and the mandatory 24hr. internet verifications. I think that Sony was planning to do one of those, and they're wondering how they can still do one of them, but still look good to the public. Maybe monthly internet verifications?? Lol

Nah

OPM You talked a lot about service, tech and ideas; how are you going to present PS4 to a more casual market?

Michael Denny So I think two of the other pillars we talked about in-terms of design were simplicity and immediacy. Even taking back a step from here, PlayStation 4 can still be enjoyed old school without an Internet connection at all. So it depends what level you want to use these feature sets at. So with ’simple’ and ’immediacy’ we want it so that everything is one button click away, for example. And ’immediacy’ takes down these barriers that can be frustrating to gamers between the player getting access to the content.

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/03/20/michael-denny/

Isn't that up to the publisher? And I hate to call out semantics but everybody else is with the XBO so "enjoy your Playstation 4" doesn't exactly mean the games.

Just sayin' ... I'm not holding my breath for either. I'm heavily in the PS4 camp right now but I'm still very pessimistic.

I think this will be abrupt like Rhapsody and iTunes for music. In 2 years it will be the norm. I remember acclimating to Steam the same way.

Everything will be access to a service, there will be no ownership of media in 5-10 years.

/tinfoilhat

Isn't that up to the publisher? And I hate to call out semantics but everybody else is with the XBO so "enjoy your Playstation 4" doesn't exactly mean the games.

What exactly would you do with a PS4 if you don't have an internet connection? Flip through the UI? Watch some movies or listen to music on your harddrive? It has no form of backwards incompatibility, so you can't play anything else on it. I think it's clear what he meant. I'm not sure why we have to suddenly think the worst.

If Sony wants any type of sales in Japan then they simply can't pull any type of used games bullshit. Nintendo would pound them into the ground even with the Wii U's current poor sales. And i'm sure that it would completely alienate a lot of the smaller third party devs that have long been in Sony's corner.

What exactly would you do with a PS4 if you don't have an internet connection? Flip through the UI? Watch some movies or listen to music on your harddrive? It has no form of backwards incompatibility, so you can't play anything else on it. I think it's clear what he meant. I'm not sure why we have to suddenly think the worst.

It's abundantly clear. They have said it's up to the publishers so we have to look at EA and Activision among others for that 'permission'.

I want to believe. I'm hoping Sony is pro-consumer in their release but is it really up to them? No, it isn't. Maybe for their first party but what MS is doing isn't something that Sony or the publishers are going to ignore. I WANT to be proven wrong. I love new consoles and the PS4 hyped me for this upcoming gen, the lead-up to the 720 also did and in one fell swoop MS took all the wind out of my sails and left me pessimistic.

But, as I've mentioned, this happened with music and I acclimated, it's slowly happening with video and I'm acclimating, it was only a matter of time before it happened to games across the board and not just PC.

It's abundantly clear. They have said it's up to the publishers so we have to look at EA and Activision among others for that 'permission'.

I want to believe. I'm hoping Sony is pro-consumer in their release but is it really up to them? No, it isn't. Maybe for their first party but what MS is doing isn't something that Sony or the publishers are going to ignore. I WANT to be proven wrong. I love new consoles and the PS4 hyped me for this upcoming gen, the lead-up to the 720 also did and in one fell swoop MS took all the wind out of my sails.

I don't understand how it can be up to the publisher when the system to accommodate it would have to be up to Sony. They would have to create an integrated system in the ps4 that check and locks out the disc.

For sony to create such a system for the ps4 but then say, hey you don't
have to use it would be pretty fucking lame.

R7H6

I don't understand how it can be up to the publisher when the system to accommodate it would have to be up to Sony. They would have to create an integrated system in the ps4 that check and locks out the disc.

For sony to create such a system for the ps4 but then say, hey you don't
have to use it would be pretty fucking lame.

Yes, it would be.

On activation codes for secondhand PS4 titles

It's a publisher decision. We are not talking about it. Sorry.

Source

Amir0x

Banned
As I said in one of the many threads since the reveal. I never thought the third console curse was a real thing, but it's certainly looking that way. I didn't think MS could start so badly, and this is only a start.

I mean it's obviously not real - curses aren't real - but it is amusing to watch such patterns emerge. Especially when it seems there is no rhyme or reason for some competitors to fuck themselves the way they did. Microsoft, for example, obviously had tons of money to play with ($400 million...for NFL exclusivity...I mean goddamn), and there was no reason any logical individual should have had the type of show they had, no matter how close E3 was. It just said they are no longer hungry.

PS3 was a matter of Sony hoping it would be a vehicle to make Blu-Ray dominate. It seems the strategy worked, but to what end? Destroying every penny of profit they had gained since entering the videogame business and they are still struggling to regain their past footing. It's been a long difficult road ever since then.

SEGA is also... the way they handled the Saturn launch was pretty much legendarily pathetic. Absolutely no reason for that. Unfortunately when they returned to form with Dreamcast, the damage was already done.

Sony - Nintendo - Sega : "You turn Microsoft" *stare*

Philips, Panasonic, SNK, etc all crying in the corner from the start

But is that any different from this gen? Was there anything in place to prevent them from doing that sort of activation? We've seen publishers block multiplayer modes for used games or rentals behind a paywall. So it seems like it was possible, but no one chose to do it. And this isn't as simple as a multiplayer block, this is a full game block. Those publishers are seeing right now just how vicious the backlash is. But that backlash is currently all directed at MS because it's a system function and not a publisher decision. I don't think it's something that publishers are really going to want to touch.

With that said, I think it's worth remember something that Gerstmann said. He said that he thinks some publishers will choose sides, but he doesn't necessarily agree with why they will. We now know about this function with the Xbox One. And EA has suddenly killed off their pass program and switched from being a major Sony supporter to an EA supporter with a rumored big exclusive (Titan) for that console.

But is that any different from this gen? Was there anything in place to prevent them from doing that sort of activation? We've seen publishers block multiplayer modes for used games or rentals behind a paywall. So it seems like it was possible, but no one chose to do it. And this isn't as simple as a multiplayer block, this is a full game block. Those publishers are seeing right now just how vicious the backlash is. But that backlash is currently all directed at MS because it's a system function and not a publisher decision. I don't think it's something that publishers are really going to want to touch.

With that said, I think it's worth remember something that Gerstmann said. He said that he thinks some publishers will choose sides, but he doesn't necessarily agree with why they will. We now know about this function with the Xbox One. And EA has suddenly killed off their pass program and switched from being a major Sony supporter to an EA supporter with a rumored big exclusive (Titan) for that console.

I hope the fallout changes minds. If it was so much like this gen it wouldn't even be mentioned but here we are, publishers not saying anything and Sony being cryptic.

I don't want my gaming system to become my music collection. The cost is too high to enjoy as many games as I do currently if I can't Gamefly, trade, rent, etc ... It's not that I couldn't afford them but I really don't find $60 of value in many games these days but would still like to play them at a different value point.

I want to believe. I'm hoping Sony is pro-consumer in their release but is it really up to them? No, it isn't. Maybe for their first party but what MS is doing isn't something that Sony or the publishers are going to ignore. I WANT to be proven wrong. I love new consoles and the PS4 hyped me for this upcoming gen, the lead-up to the 720 also did and in one fell swoop MS took all the wind out of my sails and left me pessimistic.

But, as I've mentioned, this happened with music and I acclimated, it's slowly happening with video and I'm acclimating, it was only a matter of time before it happened to games across the board and not just PC.

Activision don't really have a problem with used game sales, they didn't even have online pass for CoD right? EA is the only one, and maybe Ubisoft too, Watchdogs seems to have some kind of online function even in single player mode.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Activision don't really have a problem with used game sales, they didn't even have online pass for CoD right? EA is the only one, and maybe Ubisoft too, Watchdogs seems to have some kind of online function even in single player mode.

Activision doesn't do online passes and Ubi confirmed that Watch_Dogs can be played offline if you want. EA's the only one that I can see do something more than online passes. They may also just be counting on the extra profits from XBO used game fees and the extra DLC cash they'll get from not having online passes (Acti's strategy that has panned out well) that they'll just ignore it so they don't get any more bad press. We'll see.

Top Bottom