• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what is the reaction at Sony Corp. today?

Strike

S8GAS.gif

Wooooooooooooowww lol

What's the source material? That's awesome.
Big Shake

Haha I was waiting for it too since you asked for it.

I don't about everyone else but for me the Kazification will forever go down as one of the best moments in gaming history (on the internet), the whole collective of fans all united in hype, and the fact that Sony actually delivered was just icing on the cake

thanks GAF

Thoraxes

"Oh fuck, E3 is in a few weeks and we still got a lot of shit to prepare. I hope we make a good showing this year because we are excited for our product lineup."

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm sure a certain amount of relief.

But Sony doesn't have room for complacency. Complacency breeds massive challenges as they found themselves in the past, and as I think MS is finding now. Sony's been on a good roll and I don't think they'll create nearly as many PR challenges for themselves as MS seems to be, but there are still a couple of traps waiting on the PR front (namely, Sony's own qualifications around second hand games, and perhaps the question of online play and subscriptions).

Even as terrible as Sony implementing a used game policy like Microsofts would be, as long as they don't require an internet connection to play games, I think they hold the most likely scenario for grabbing the most consoles sales worldwide next gen. If Microsofts plan works they could elipse the current 360 and PS3 sales, because they are really targeting a wide base with this. The problem is, that is a HUGE gamble, that i'm really skeptical about. Sony is playing the safer game, because seemingly anybody who buys their system will be able to play their games without an internet restriction.

Funny gifs aside, I think they would be kind of relieved to be able to concentrate on targeting the hardcore gamer. It's essentially more of the same kind of competition they received over this current generation.

It's a strategy that allows both companies to continue doing what they know best without interfering too much with each other.

I'm not a fan of what Microsoft is trying to do, but I understand if the American customer base loves it. I think both consoles will find their respective chunk of the market, just with less Nintendo involved.

I just wish Halo wasn't owned by Microsoft. I intend on buying the PS4, my first Sony console since the first Playstation, and it sucks that I won't be able to continue the Halo series until later into the generation when the One becomes more affordable.

Amir0x

Banned
I often wonder if gaming console companies have a gentleman's agreement that you must flub the third console you release to give your competitors time to dust themselves off and get back in the game

DBT85

I often wonder if gaming console companies have a gentleman's agreement that you must flub the third console you release to give your competitors time to dust themselves off and get back in the game

As I said in one of the many threads since the reveal. I never thought the third console curse was a real thing, but it's certainly looking that way. I didn't think MS could start so badly, and this is only a start.

Obviously MS has plenty of time to turn it around and in the US it'll probably do well regardless because of all the TV stuff. Just seems like the ROTW can go do one.

flotsam

Neo Member
I imagine the PS4's marketing and development departments will have gone into a frenzy of action today making decisions on how Microsoft's announcements impact their positioning and unannounced hardware/software features.

Love it or hate it, Microsoft revealed a lot more about the Xbox One than we know about the PS4 and so the ball is now in Sony's court to reply on a whole host of variables such as form factor, cross-media functionality, DRM specifics, etc, etc.

Sony definitely have the edge on the gaming side at the moment, but the longer they leave it to announce certain features, the more suspicious and worried I know I'll get :)

Hung_real

Sony - Nintendo - Sega : "You turn Microsoft" *stare*

The real reaction is probably "oh shit, we're about to be broken up"

So THIS is why the stock went up 9%, not the Xbox

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/22/news/companies/sony-third-point/index.html
Shares of Sony spiked to their highest level in two years Wednesday on reports that the company is considering a spin off of its movie and music division.

Hedge fund titan Dan Loeb first floated the idea last week, simultaneously announcing that he has amassed a stake of more than 6% in the electronics and entertainment firm.

Loeb's Third Point hedge fund is now one of Sony's largest shareholders, and the firm's position could be expanded further.

Loeb wants the Japanese group to separate Sony Entertainment, the movie studio and entertainment division that has supported earnings in recent years, from its ailing consumer electronics business.

Top Bottom