• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what is the reaction at Sony Corp. today?

JJD

ibyQvt2I3pecbM.gif

Holy shit that GIF is great!!! Haha!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I really want Sony to take an opposite approach and just say 'its a games machine, number one priority'.

People can say 'core gamers' isn't where the money is compared to the TvTvTvTvTvsportsTvTvTv market, but you certainly need a core market to gain a foothold in someone's home in the firstplace. With Microsoft's conference yesterday it didn't speak to me as a gamer - nor as a TV viewer, nor as an owner of multimedia devices. It doesn't solve a technological need or want for me. This jack of all trades approach put me off the PS3.

Did you watch the PS4 unveil? They did exactly that.

smurfx

get some go again
I'm not your bro.

And bad threads are bad threads, e.g they offer nothing useful to discuss like this one and are simply created to provide pointless, fanboy banter - that's my opinion.

Obviously the Mods have the final say here that's fine - doesn't mean I have to like it. I mean what's next GAF WHAT IS THE REACTION OF NINTENDO AT MS FAIL CONFERENCE LOL
iJd6OoquxXnsv.gif

I'm not your bro.

And bad threads are bad threads, e.g they offer nothing useful to discuss like this one and are simply created to provide pointless, fanboy banter - that's my opinion.

Obviously the Mods have the final say here that's fine - doesn't mean I have to like it. I mean what's next GAF WHAT IS THE REACTION OF NINTENDO AT MS FAIL CONFERENCE LOL

HAHAHAHA meltdown. You need some SAXA.

I'm not your bro.

This is good, but not E3 level good. Step your game up.

I really want Sony to take an opposite approach and just say 'its a games machine, number one priority'.

People can say 'core gamers' isn't where the money is compared to the TvTvTvTvTvsportsTvTvTv market, but you certainly need a core market to gain a foothold in someone's home in the firstplace. With Microsoft's conference yesterday it didn't speak to me as a gamer - nor as a TV viewer, nor as an owner of multimedia devices. It doesn't solve a technological need or want for me. This jack of all trades approach put me off the PS3.

They did... in FEB.

def sim

I'm not your bro.

You should really lighten up.

liquidtmd

Banned
They did... in FEB.

Indeed - it was my intent to say that I hope they don't deviate from this plan in somehow responding halfheartedly to Microsoft's position.

If MS want to go all in on their approach then good luck to them. I just want a viable alternative and choice as such.

Angry Fork

Game department laughing, but high suit guys panicking. I think.

I think so too. There's no doubt Sony would like to have all the endorsements/money hatting sports shit on their side as well even if most core gamers don't give a shit about all of that. Sony still would like their console to be the dominant 'living room' one for casual families, the kind of thing people get together around at 4th of july and MS is going hard on that.

jaypah

Well I am sorry, but it is getting really exasperating.

I am not trying to be expressly offensive, but how else can someone take this kind of logic? People hear news they don't like and they just automatically assume the other company will immediately follow suit?

That is just baseless logic IMO.

Never the less I will edit the comment. IT was a bit harsh. Wasn't directed at him specifically, but it is just getting annoying hearing this same excuse.

Whoa, you're a full member now. Congrats!

Anyway, try not to let it get to you. There is going to be a lot of repeated FUD from all sides as long as GAF lives. It's not an *insert derogatory fanboy lable* thing, just how it goes. Especially leading up to E3 with new consoles coming.

Deirdre Bolton: Okay, which almost makes me feel like you are doubling down on serving hardcore gamers, and I know you have some significant improvements. I mean, Don mentioned it--social, mobile--I mean people can start games on a smartphone, pick it up on the console, friends can finish each other's games, make videos of themselves playing the games, send it to each other-----is this enough A., to keep the hardcore gamers happy, it seems like, but B., it feels like you need to pick up a few (let's say more recreational) "lighter" gamers to have it really be a home run.

Jack Tretton: Well, the casual experience is going to be there, and it's already there on the PlayStation 3. We have free-to-play models, we have 99 cent games, but the real heat behind the gaming industry--behind the PlayStation consumer--is that dedicated gamer, and they're who we're speaking to, they're who we start with, and they get it. And that audience is growing. We've sold 30% more consoles this generation as opposed to the previous generation.

http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2013-02-21/sonys-tretton-on-playstation-4-industry-outlook

Indeed - it was my intent to say that I hope they don't deviate from this plan in somehow responding halfheartedly to Microsoft's position.

If MS want to go all in on their approach then good luck to them. I just want a viable alternative and choice as such.

After today's dumb showing. I doubt Sony will be stupid enough to change their direction.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
"Fuuuuck we better figure out a nice way to explain our used game paywall policy"

this right here. MS jumped on the grenade for Sony is how I see it really playing out. I wish this wasn't the likely scenario, but I bet that it is.

MrMephistoX

I'd say a mixture of optimism and dread. Microsoft and Sony have articulated very different visions for the future of console gaming. Sony has put the gamer at the forefront whereas Microsoft has a very demographic driven vision of what 18-25 year olds want and that's boobs, guns, music, action movies, and sports. I embrace Sony's strategy but I can also see where it won't pay off as lucratively as Microsoft's strategy.

Kevin

Fear, they are seeing the negative reaction from the gaming community and are worried about t
What gamers are going to say and do when they announce a similar no-used game plan.

ZZMitch

I would be confident if I was Sony, but also very cautious. I feel like it's 2004 or whatever all over again when everyone said the PS3 would wipe the floor with the Xbox 360 and Wii, but that obviously didn't happen!

Replicant

I would be confident if I was Sony, but also very cautious. I feel like it's 2004 or whatever all over again when everyone said the PS3 would wipe the floor with the Xbox 360 and Wii, but that obviously didn't happen!

This. I don't need Sony to be overconfident. I need them to deliver on their promise to not fuck over gamers. Because if they follow MS' lead, I won't hesitate to give them the same kind of grief.

Top Bottom