• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

It's getting obvious to me that Gaga needs a good team around her to be amazing.

This is the tea. Just as 3phemeral said last page: Gaga needs editing. She NEEDS it. She's just TEW much on her own, and she becomes her own worst enemy. Lady Gaga is the type of person who needs that collaborative presence in her team who can channel her creative energy and ideas into something palpable. Something the public can use. And for all the shit Monsters talk about him now, I think her former manager Troy was exactly that presence. He knew exactly how and WHEN to reel her in and apply some polish to her antics. What we're learning now about Gaga is that she just doesn't know how to do that on her own.

And the problem is that Gaga (and her Monsters) have convinced themselves that Gaga doesn't need help. That she can do everything on her own and that it'll always be great and that the public will always be here for it and that she's better now because she's more "authentic."

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I loved it but I also downloaded and cut down the vid to just GUY

btw the new trinity of Gaf Monsters are

Dr. Malik, Soulscribe and Matt_

slayxmkhi.gif

And the problem is that Gaga (and her Monsters) have convinced themselves that Gaga doesn't need help. That she can do everything on her own and that it'll always be great and that the public will always be here for it and that she's better now because she's more "authentic."

The Monsters need to talk to the Purple Army on how to deal with a fave who insists on doing everything alone, and how to deal when the results are shit. A lesson we had to learn 26 years into his career.

It gets better guys.

cory64

The Monsters need to talk to the Purple Army on how to deal with a fave who insists on doing everything alone, and how to deal when the results are shit. A lesson we had to learn 26 years into his career.

It gets better guys.
The wait is easier when your fave made 5 or 6 of the greatest albums in history before his era of independent indulgence.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
dont think I have ever felt as dissapointed in Gaga as I do now.

not even during the Doritos Vomit-Fest? THAT was what tested my love for Gaga.
I would cut the credits, especially since I don't like Manicure, but I loved the video :)

Let's just admit we're the same person already.

...okay.

Cloning was successfully implemented one time, and one time only. The experiment resulted in two identical children, both in gene structure and personality. After their birth, the lab exploded, destroying all of the researchers inside and all of the experiment data. The children were taken to safety by a janitor of the facility, who put both children up for adoption, not knowing their significance.

Years later, the two met in a twist of fate on the internet.

Yado

...okay.

Cloning was successfully implemented one time, and one time only. The experiment resulted in two identical children, both in gene structure and personality. After their birth, the lab exploded, destroying all of the researchers inside and all of the experiment data. The children were taken to safety by a janitor of the facility, who put both children up for adoption, not knowing their significance.

Years later, the two met in a twist of fate on the internet.

Clearly the one that stans Sansa wasn't raised right.

gif_feb_028.gif

3phemeral

Watching the video again, that Venus intro was such a huge waste. She went from this fantastic concept of a beaten, battle-worn angel being resuscitated back to life, but that actual rebirth was some hawaiian leis strewn over a camera lens, dipped into some chlorinated water, with no actual transformative process ever taking place; the build up had no satisfactory resolution. Instead, we get Gaga doing her best drag queen does Vegas showgirl unconvincingly lipsyncing to her own damned song.

ibe9djoJYKLO55.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
G.U.Y. is the best video I've seen in ages. It gave me all I wanted: Gaga looking FIERCE and elegant like the old days with 3 of Artpop's best songs.
a FAR cry from goofy trash like Katy's "dark horse" vid *BARF*

cory64

It does explain why her SXSW setlist was so weak, she was holding back 3 of her better tracks from this era for the video.

not that that explains her SXSW performance

Though her execution is (unsurprisingly) shit, I really like the idea of a music video that spans multiple songs and has a longer-form narrative to link them together.

The Venus-GUY transition was definitely the weakest considering the careful/elegant production leading up to it, but it doesn't ruin the experience for me. Gaga loves a quick change so that's just her thing.

One of my favorite things about her is that she's a fan of both high and low brow references, and the way she switches between the two so quickly throws people off. I personally love it.

3phemeral

I think there's no mystery what the narrative is. It's just why is 80 percent of the video a beauty shot while the actual story is just the bookends? I'm sure every other director who's ever worked with her is probably keeling over the loss of potential and more superior visuals she could have taken. That long shot of her being carried between the pillars? Decent, but half baked. The Housewives interpretation is completely fodder, as she's a fan of the show. Lest she support the very thing they're saying she's lambasting the industry for.

I mean, the ideas are there, but it seems rather than fully fleshing out each sequence (cloning, Venus rebirth, taking back control over the industry), she was simply satisfied with a skeleton representation and crammed everything else in for visual appeal alone. That makes me wonder why the video had to be 7 minutes when she could have nixed Artpop and Venus (as much as I love them being in there). Their inclusion was wasted and therefore seemingly necessitated (In gaga's mind) tons of visual filler to make up for that additional song time.

Niece, I feel you. And I largely agree with all of your points.
I'm glad I'm not alone. Oh, and I love your tumblr, btw.

This is the tea. Just as 3phemeral said last page: Gaga needs editing. She NEEDS it. She's just TEW much on her own, and she becomes her own worst enemy. Lady Gaga is the type of person who needs that collaborative presence in her team who can channel her creative energy and ideas into something palpable. Something the public can use. And for all the shit Monsters talk about him now, I think her former manager Troy was exactly that presence. He knew exactly how and WHEN to reel her in and apply some polish to her antics. What we're learning now about Gaga is that she just doesn't know how to do that on her own.

Agreed. I get that there's a lot of suits who want to control artists and not give them a voice, but I thought that Gaga was getting her voice across just fine before. I do think it's admirable that she wants to do things all by herself now, but it just isn't working for me. After waiting 7 months for something new from her, I was expecting a lot more out of the G.U.Y. video. I own all of Gaga's albums and with each album release I freak out because I love her so much. But, the ARTPOP era has just been a blow to the gut. I just wish that Gaga would realize that she can have other people around her that can give her great advice, like a great choreographer, producer, and director, and even with them she could still be considered an artist in her own right. All I want her to do is make catchy great music, make killer videos, and keep supporting gay rights. But, I just get a feeling that she is just going to keep leeching off of DJWS forever for some odd reason, and also keep thinking that her directing skills are good enough to do videos alone. My wish is that she finds fresh producers that will make killer beats for her albums, and that she collabs with amazing directors and choreographers. I guess that's a pipe dream.

I feel bad for you young gays. Back in the day, you could count on Madonna to slay. Like... there was never a doubt. I can't imagine being a young gay without a flawless queen to look up to. Tell me what it's like.
Yeah, and unfortunately we had to get Madonna's worst era with MDNA. We can't win.

I don't know how Madonna did it back in the day when she was slaying, but I wish someone here would explain how if it is known. I would be interested in hearing about that.

only because gaga has been consistently shit this era
Well, the iTunes Festival was really good, and the clown make up in the Applause video was amazing. But... that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom