• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaijinworks set to tease new PSP localization in Retro magazine

Steel

Banned
But I don't think they've released a significant RPG or game in a RPG subgenre on the PSP, so we can rule them out, lol.

Now that I think about it, has capcom done any RPGs on PSP?

You know, now that I think about it more, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment portable is also an option now that Atlus is a part of sega.

cj_iwakura

Now that I think about it, has capcom done any RPGs on PSP?

You know, now that I think about it more, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment portable is also an option now that Atlus is a part of sega.

I wouldn't count on anything Atlus did. Vic's been very public about how nasty Atlus has been with him in regards to Growlanser.

vireland

Why spend the extra money when the audience for this is mostly niche?

If that was the metric, the PSP physical release never would have happened, either. I am, unfortunately at times, a fan first, and decisions I make are sometimes really inconvenient or not very profitable from a business standpoint just because they bling tingle me as a fanboy, and I know the other fans appreciate it.

androvsky

Yeah, Ken's awesome. We have a great relationship, and he's always up for a challenge.

We hadn't planned on a boxed release for the PS3 game because I don't think the demand is there, but if it is and that's what the fans want, we'll talk to Sony about it.

Well, to be honest I bought the CoH2 physical release to support the idea of physical releases, but I wouldn't be interested in a physical version of this. I'm just not a huge fan of the series or genre. Even though in general, I'd be more interested in physical copies of games from pretty much any platform other than PSP.

Unless it's Sakura Wars, I'd back the hell out of that and anything else you put out for about a year.

Elvick

Banned
Yeah, Ken's awesome. We have a great relationship, and he's always up for a challenge.

We hadn't planned on a boxed release for the PS3 game because I don't think the demand is there, but if it is and that's what the fans want, we'll talk to Sony about it.
I always prefer retail releases... but understand why some publishers pass on it.

In most cases, digital only is a deal breaker for me until the price is less than $10. Just how I feel.

But with so much work put in, I'll make an exception for this one (another exception I'll make is Trails in the Sky SC).

vireland

Ah.... Didn't you rule out the original Oreshika earlier? What haven't they translated from SCEJ?

I'm just helping people remember the major players. I can't confirm or deny any more pubs or games because the process of elimination is really narrrowing down the possibilities and it will be pretty easily guessable if I keep that up.

cj_iwakura

If that was the metric, the PSP physical release never would have happened, either. I am, unfortunately at times, a fan first, and decisions I make are sometimes really inconvenient or not very profitable from a business standpoint just because they bling tingle me as a fanboy, and I know the other fans appreciate it.

I'm glad you feel that way, I just don't want to see anything go badly south like some other releases I can think of that turns into a financial disaster(see: Sakura Wars V's bombing after all the money NIS spent on it).

Really hope the publisher is Sega and the title is Valkyria Chronicles 3. I mean sure I can import a copy and download the fan translation but having this officially come from overseas and done in a physical+digital bundle by Vic would put a smile on my face.

EDIT: Read the post above about VC3 being denied. Oh well, I'm still anticipating whatever this title is. I'm sure it'll peak my interest immensely.

indeed, shame it's not VC3...I would do anything (even shameful things) for it to have an official localized release. Still, I'm interested in seeing what Gaijinworks has in store, best of luck guys.

B.O.O.M

But I don't think they've released a significant RPG or game in a RPG subgenre on the PSP, so we can rule them out, lol.

Looking around the two names that popped up were

Frontier Gate

1385.jpg

Terror of the Stratos

Doubt it's either one those because I don't think they are 'significant' games..well maybe they are as I'm not that knowledgeable about JRPGs

Steel

Banned
Looking around the two names that popped up were

Frontier Gate

Terror of the Stratos

Doubt it's either one those because I don't think they are 'significant' games..well maybe they are as I'm not that knowledgeable about JRPGs

The box art of Terror has a mech. I want it.

Generalities are sugar in the gas tank of my ambition engine.

I'd make a Vine video of me opening up my sealed copy of Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete if VC3 was announced. I would try to hold back the tears from doing that.

Well that don't sound too over the top but you get my drift. =P

Lain

I like this stance of yours.

Reveirg

Really hoping it's The Last Ranker but the sub-genre comment makes me think it's a TRPG instead.

One way or another I'm thrilled to see another group than XSeed pushing for these localizations!

Steel

Banned
Looked into it a bit and these are some of the possibilities:

So for capcom we've got things like the psp Breath of Fire III, Last Ranker,

And from Namco we have Queen's Blade Spiral Chaos(Apparently an SRPG), a ton of tales games, .hack//link

Sega we have a bunch of possible atlus titles(which are apparently unlikely), VK3 was nixed, and Shining hearts.

SCEJ: Kingdom of Paradise's sequel

Konami has got Frontier gate, Terror of the Stratos, and Far East of Eden

Square: Not them.

Probably an incomplete list, but it's something. To be honest, I don't think I could be disappointed with any of these games.

hongcha

Konami does own Hudson. Hudson owns Far East of Eden.

That (Tengai Makyou IV: The Apocalypse) is the best game on the PSP. Not the best JRPG, the best game. I love it to pieces. If some company finally decides to localise that, they will earn a ton of respect from me.

Steel

Banned
So was this PSP game revealed yet or what?

Not for a couple weeks. Though we did find out that Gajinworks made a way for a vita and psp to function has a Wii U pad second screen and controller simultaneously with their other game in development that they let loose about.

OmegaDL50

Well in regards to the Konami release.

Frontier Gate while was indeed published by Konami, it was in fact developed by tri-Ace.

I wouldn't mind to get more localized tri-Ace titles in the US.

In fact outside of their work on Phantasy Star Nova. The last localized game they released that I can recall was Resonance of Fate / End of Eternity, which was the last console project they worked on as far as I can recall.

Lately most of tri-Ace's stuff has been handheld projects, other then the assistance they did working with SE on FFXIII-2 (Well tri-Ace is credited for some of the work done on FFXIII-2, the extent of this I don't even know)

Now for a slight change of subject.

What has been GungHo / Game Arts been up to lately. You'd think for owning franchises like Grandia and Lunar they would do something new with them. It sounds like wasted potential not being utilized. Oh well.

Looked into it a bit and these are some of the possibilities:

So for capcom we've got things like the psp Breath of Fire III, Last Ranker

Won't be BOF3. There's barely any changes made from the PSX version, and all the hardcore BOF fans (like myself) already have the european psp umd release anyway.

vireland

What has been GungHo / Game Arts been up to lately. You'd think for owning franchises like Grandia and Lunar they would do something new with them. It sounds like wasted potential not being utilized. Oh well.

Gungho owns Acquire and a number of other companies, but has mostly been busy making almost a billion dollars in profit a year off one FTP mobile game - Puzzle and Dragons, although that gravy train has slowed considerably and there's no hit even in the same universe of revenue to take its place yet. Game Arts is busy dying, AFAIK. And yes, it's sad.

IrishNinja

hyped for whatever we get next year!

also vic do you know anyone selling the WD release of Sega Ages (Saturn) for less than $50 cause i need the rest of that money for the RPG's you guys localized which are now roughly equal to mortgage payments

Tizoc

Not for a couple weeks. Though we did find out that Gajinworks made a way for a vita and psp to function has a Wii U pad second screen and controller simultaneously with their other game in development that they let loose about.
Sorry didnt understand anything after psp & vita ^^;

Sorry didnt understand anything after psp & vita ^^;

In the new PS3 game Gaijinworks is releasing, the psp or vita can act as a subscreen - like the wiiu controller does. So you can have map/inventory/stats ect on the psp/vita screen while the main gameplay is happening on your television.

urfe

The game itself I'm honestly not interested in.

The future possibilities it represents I am. And I think it's cool that a small company could get this feat done. I hope it helps gain a positive reputation with Japanese publishers, to help further localization efforts.

I prob said it before, but I became a great fan of WD in the PSX era when I didn't like what Square was doing (and Enix left), and they prob somewhat contributed to my moving to Japan (although NES/SNES Square and Enix mainly), but now that I'm here, I more enjoy the games Vic wants to bring out in Japanese.

These threads are always great for recommendations! :)

I should stop playing Final Fantasy VI for the millionth time, and play a game I haven't played before.

vireland

hyped for whatever we get next year!

also vic do you know anyone selling the WD release of Sega Ages (Saturn) for less than $50 cause i need the rest of that money for the RPG's you guys localized which are now roughly equal to mortgage payments

I had some opened ones I sold a while ago for like $40, but those are long gone. No idea where to get them in that price range now, especially new/sealed.

Tizoc

In the new PS3 game Gaijinworks is releasing, the psp or vita can act as a subscreen - like the wiiu controller does. So you can have map/inventory/stats ect on the psp/vita screen while the main gameplay is happening on your television.
Ooooooh i see. That sounds cool wonder if a bundle of ps3+pap is possible in this case

Shinriji

So it's like Singstar, when you link the Vita in remote play and can look at the song selection, make playlists and check the time to your song at the same time someone is singing? I use it all the time in Singstar parties here at home.

IrishNinja

I had some opened ones I sold a while ago for like $40, but those are long gone. No idea where to get them in that price range now, especially new/sealed.

well, i appreciate the reply all the same! if you ever find any other open saturn stuff about, let me know - i'm a big fan & have had a blast going through your efforts that gen!

I appreciate the effort very much, Vic. Thank you for pushing for physical releases!

It's pretty big, I think, in a subgenre I really like. And the deal is important for what it portends beyond this first game.

I'll throw you a bone. It's from a major Japanese publisher. Major.

(And it's unfortunately not Suikoden anything - I want that desperately, but we haven't made that happen yet)

I just had an idea of a game that would fit all 3 categories which would make me ecstatic if it was true: the PSP remake of Summon Night 3.

It's in a subgenre (Strategy/RPG), it's from a major publisher (Bandai Namco), and it would be important for future games (Summon Night 4 & 5 as well as other games from the publisher).

I played the original PS2 game in Japanese and it was fantastic. Mix of a FFT-style RPG with a visual novel. Easily one of my favorite SRPGs ever.

Top Bottom