• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaijinworks set to tease new PSP localization in Retro magazine

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
4cAbohX.png

http://issuu.com/markkaminski/docs/issue_1_preview

Dual Screen Play didn't exist in the JP release AFAIK.
Where do this mania of adding a "G" come from? Does the "G" have some meaning in Japan?

Anyway where's the Class of Heroes 2 EU version? :mad:

mrjohill

I just had an idea of a game that would fit all 3 categories which would make me ecstatic if it was true: the PSP remake of Summon Night 3.

It's in a subgenre (Strategy/RPG), it's from a major publisher (Bandai Namco), and it would be important for future games (Summon Night 4 & 5 as well as other games from the publisher).

I played the original PS2 game in Japanese and it was fantastic. Mix of a FFT-style RPG with a visual novel. Easily one of my favorite SRPGs ever.

That's would be cool but why not just skip straight to 5?

That's would be cool but why not just skip straight to 5?

Because 3 is an awesome game and is the first game available on the PSP. And as we've seen with Class of Heroes, skipping to the end isn't Gaijinworks' style. Also from what I've heard (I haven't played the later games), 3 is often considered the best game in the series (with 4 being about as good and 5 being worse).

I have paid through the nose this year to reacquire the Sega CD/Saturn/PS1 Working Designs games I had years ago: I paid $100 or more for mint/complete copies of Popful Mail, Albert Odyssey, Magic Knight Rayearth, Shining Wisdom, Sega Ages (Sega freakin' Ages! - I admit I could have gotten that one cheaper, but I was in the store and thus could assess the quality firsthand), etc... The Saturn market is especially getting out of hand. It's so hard to find clean copies of the games these days (I am part of the problem though, getting all those BIN off eBay out of laziness). Only Vay was affordable ($50 with the map).

Anyhow, I must say that I've always loved the "Translation Notes" in WD's instruction manuals. I have been a professional translator for 12+ years (English --> French) and these pages were the closest to making an otherwise uncool profession seem cool. (That close. lol)

Vic: I have assuredly asked the following questions a few times over the years, but I'd like to know if anything has changed at Konami and Namco regarding "outsourcing": is there any chance, however remote, they would allow the localization/port of 1) Policenauts and 2) Tales of Rebirth/Tales of Destiny 2 (J) some time down the road?

P.S. I am aware a Policenauts patch of some kind exists, but I want a legitimate "self-contained" release on disc.

redlemon

I just had an idea of a game that would fit all 3 categories which would make me ecstatic if it was true: the PSP remake of Summon Night 3.

It's in a subgenre (Strategy/RPG), it's from a major publisher (Bandai Namco), and it would be important for future games (Summon Night 4 & 5 as well as other games from the publisher).

I played the original PS2 game in Japanese and it was fantastic. Mix of a FFT-style RPG with a visual novel. Easily one of my favorite SRPGs ever.

I really liked the two Summon Night: Swordcraft Story games that Atlus put out. I realise the gameplay is completely different in the mainline games but do you know if they have the same kind of atmosphere and humour.

Oh shit, don't get my hopes up.

Where do this mania of adding a "G" come from? Does the "G" have some meaning in Japan?

G for Generation, maybe? Like, 2nd Generation. It's the only thing I can think of!

Aw man, I've been wanting to play the Summon Night games for like a decade now. That would be totally awesome, although I'm trying not to get too hyped.

I really liked the two Summon Night: Swordcraft Story games that Atlus put out. I realise the gameplay is completely different in the mainline games but do you know if they have the same kind of atmosphere and humour.

Haven't played the spin-offs & my Japanese is pretty poor, but Summon Night 3 had a very Lunar feel to me. Here's a link to the opening animation - I think it does a good job showing off the general tone.

Among other things, the game has a fun magic system, a large cast of characters, nice colorful visuals, good replay value (there are two main characters to choose from & you also get to pick an apprentice), and a neat reward system that gives you bonuses if you beat stages without being over-leveled.

vireland

Anyway where's the Class of Heroes 2 EU version? :mad:

In the case of this game, they have said the "G" stands for "gorgeous" because the game is a pretty upgrade from the PSP graphics.

vireland

If you had huge brass balls Vic, you would get NBGI to cough up the rights to imas. Just cut out the pai-touch business and Bob's your father's brother! Am I right or am I right?

Already have the touch thing and general approach to the game's localization worked out a few years ago. No deal yet, and time's a'wastin' on a very niche product. I'd love to do it, though. Definitely on my wish list, but BandaiNamcoBandai's a tough nut to crack!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'll raise my hand and say that I'm open to a physical copy of 2G! Especially being PS3, I think there would be a decent amount of people wanting a copy :) More than the PSP version, I'm sure.

Does this mean that 2G will be out after CoH3 then, or before since it's already getting marketed

Yes? Albert Odyssey is kind of bad but my nostalgia has me playing it every time I dust off the Saturn. Vanguard Bandits isn't great either.

Vanguard Bandits is great, just in terms of gameplay. The localization is easily WD's worst, and that's the source of most of my problems with it.

vireland

I'll raise my hand and say that I'm open to a physical copy of 2G! Especially being PS3, I think there would be a decent amount of people wanting a copy :) More than the PSP version, I'm sure.

Does this mean that 2G will be out after CoH3 then, or before since it's already getting marketed

2G is pretty close to done, so it will be out before CoH3, for sure.

vireland

Vanguard Bandits is great, just in terms of gameplay. The localization is easily WD's worst, and that's the source of most of my problems with it.

Have you not experienced the power of ATAC 69? There is no greater force in the universe!

And if we're voting worsts, I would say that Vasteel was down there. Awful localization experience, mediocre result. VB and AO have nothing on it. Their crime is too many liberties in the comedy, but a significant portion of people love that about them (plus VB is hardcore great strategy at its core).

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Well, I guess it is mainly an extended port with the translation mainly done already. Good luck with it, and looking forward to the email lists for physical copy pre-orders!

cj_iwakura

What about the mystery project? Is there any concern over the PSP's longevity or is that irrelevant thanks to Vita & PSN?

Also, don't knock AO, that localization was great.

What'll it be, Swordmaster?

Generalities are sugar in the gas tank of my ambition engine.

Fair Enough, you deserve better and Valkyria Chronicles 3 does as well...after sleeping on it for a while, I've thought of a few things, so for starters I would:

Replay Sonic 06 from the beginning...twice! and maybe marathon other terrible games!
Sleep on a pile of dirty clothes!
Say something nice about Gearbox President Randy Pitchford.
Listen to a Kanye West album and say he is the greatest artist ever and more so a great human being.
Watch the latest Tyler Perry Movie featuring Larry the Cable guy...or Promethus, whichever is worse.
Eat gross Fear Factor items, hell I'll sit with Joe Rogan for an hour and listen to his act!

There are other ideas, but I'll save those if you manage to get the following with it:

a (limited) Physical release
the Extra Edition Content (if this wasn't already a given or requires further negotiation)
and the Big One: a dub by Studiopolis again including the cast of the previous games.

Yes, and apparently it's a good thing it never saw the light of day.

Well that's hugely depressing. If only they had the budget and international talent required to build something truly incredible.

I imagine the IP is still quite valuable, and if given the right treatment it could kick all kinds of ass in the marketplace. Maybe GA should turn to crowd-sourcing to get something started. ¯\(°_o)/¯

I'd rather not let go of the dream just yet.

NamcoBandai's a tough nut to crack!

I would go so far as to say they're a bunch of jerks, but then again I'm only basing that on past controversies and their track record of mistreating western audiences.
They did release the imas iPhone games, and Zestiria is getting a global release, so maybe they're slowly coming around.

Their crime is too many liberties in the comedy

Oh man... That brings back terrible memories of flame-wars about the humor in your localizations. Thanks for that.

urfe

Well that's hugely depressing. If only they had the budget and international talent required to build something truly incredible.

I imagine the IP is still quite valuable, and if given the right treatment it could kick all kinds of ass in the marketplace. Maybe GA should turn to crowd-sourcing to get something started. ¯(°_o)/¯

Why international?

vireland

I imagine the IP is still quite valuable, and if given the right treatment it could kick all kinds of ass in the marketplace. Maybe GA should turn to crowd-sourcing to get something started. ¯\(°_o)/¯

The problem is that without Studio Alex, there is no creative force now. The heart of LUNAR is essentially ripped out.

vireland

What about the mystery project? Is there any concern over the PSP's longevity or is that irrelevant thanks to Vita & PSN?

I'm more concerned with UMD manufacture stopping completely. That's the race. The Vita emulation of PSP games has extended the horizon for PSP RPGs, IMO. We'll keep trying to rescue as many as we can, while also branching out to PS3 and Vita proper (with the right project).

I'm more concerned with UMD manufacture stopping completely. That's the race. The Vita emulation of PSP games has extended the horizon for PSP RPGs, IMO. We'll keep trying to rescue as many as we can, while also branching out to PS3 and Vita proper (with the right project).

Well we appreciate you're efforts for physical releases. I'll probably buy whatever your big announcement is regardless of what it is if I can get a physical copy. I can't say the same if its digital only though.

Edit: Also I can't believe someone said Vanguard Bandits wasn't that great. I loved everything about that game.

Yuterald

924598_58922_front.jpg

Man, King's Field Additional (or ANY King's Field title) would be so perfect for this dual screen tech stuff. I guess that would require From to develop a PSN/PS3 version though. It's the perfect game for maps/auxiliary stuff on the PSP/Vita screen (but I guess most first person dungeon crawler stuff would work the best with this kind of feature). Chances of the actual Additional I&II PSP games getting localized/released on PSN not happening either, right? I can't imagine what this big announcement is. Really cool stuff you've got going on Vic!

cyborg009

Banned
924598_58922_front.jpg

Man, King's Field Additional (or ANY King's Field title) would be so perfect for this dual screen tech stuff. I guess that would require From to develop a PSN/PS3 version though. It's the perfect game for maps/auxiliary stuff on the PSP/Vita screen (but I guess most first person dungeon crawler stuff would work the best with this kind of feature). Chances of the actual Additional I&II PSP games getting localized/released on PSN not happening either, right? I can't imagine what this big announcement is. Really cool stuff you've got going on Vic!

I check out some youtube videos but why did they change it from 3d?

Why international?

I'll be flayed alive for saying too much on that topic, so I'll just say that tapping into talent from around the world can result in a title with broad multinational appeal if the right balance can be struck.

For example, I believe Square Enix should be tapping into the writing and design talent at Eidos Montréal for their own first party projects.

The problem is that without Studio Alex, there is no creative force now. The heart of LUNAR is essentially ripped out.

And my still-beating heart was just ripped from my chest as well. :(
Do you honestly believe it can't be salvaged?

Top Bottom