• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAMBIT movie just became interesting. Verbinski in talks to direct.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gambit-movie-gore-verbinski-talks-direct-1045664
Gore Verbinski, the director behind the first three Pirates of the Caribbean films, is in talks to direct Gambit.

The movie kick-starts the stalled project that has seen Doug Liman and Rupert Wyatt come and go as helmers on the long-in-development X-Men spinoff. Rise of the Planet of the Apes' Wyatt exited in October 2015 while Liman left in August 2016.

Channing Tatum is attached to star in the film as the New Orleans-based mutant with the power to manipulate kinetic energy and whose weapons include a staff and a deck of playing cards.

I couldn't give a fuck about this movie at all before this. Wish Verbinski would do something else, but I'm there for Gore.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
LarryDavidUnsure.gif

kunonabi

Well, you will certainly see every penny on the screen. Still, won't save it from Tatum as the lead though.

Interesting that we went from Liman to Verbinski, I've always seen a lot of similarities in their works. I hope he signs on, it could be a fun movie with him at the helm despite his uneven filmography.

Busty

Banned
So basically he's gotten early parole from film prison after Lone Ranger and Cure For Wellness and he has to take any job he can get to get himself back in the studio's good books?

Good for him.

I'm still not convinced that this film will ever see the light of day though.

CloudWolf

And how exactly is Gore Verbinski interesting? I mean, Rango and Curse of the Black Pearl were pretty good, but outside of that, eh....

Not really all that interesting, after The Lone Ranger and The Cure for Wellness, Verbinski needs a hit and fast, not hard to see why he would attach himself to a superhero property eventually. I'll be surprised if the film actually gets made though.

Interesting that we went from Liman to Verbinski, I've always seen a lot of similarities in their works. I hope he signs on, it could be a fun movie with him at the helm despite his uneven filmography.

Verbinski tends to make too overlong film a bit, I don't see any similarities at all.

Mark Kermode said it best: Gore Verbinski couldn't direct traffic.

He can direct grass signs pretty good though.

Mark Kermode said it best: Gore Verbinski couldn't direct traffic.
Verbinski is a very talented director who routinely chooses/crafts less-than-stellar scripts.

Mark Kermode's professional criticism often ejects from his mouth in the form of gibberish nonsense that he thinks is endearing.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Whenever I hear his name I think about that fucking awful movie 'the mexican'. worst shit ive ever sat through.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Verbinski needs to lean into some auteur vision with this and make this his own. Some by the numbers action adventure film? Snore.

Instro

Verbinski has problems with scripts and sometimes actors, but I think it's fair to say he is a strong visual/technical director.

Gore Verbinski seems like a solid choice to direct Gambit, to me, simply because Jack Sparrow has a ton of the same appeal as a well-written Gambit does. I remember watching the first couple Pirates movies and getting a pretty strong Gambit vibe from a lot of Jack's characterization.

Here's the thing about Gambit...

At his best, Gambit is a very complex guy. He's by default more morally compromised than most superheroes, with his superheroing colored by his life as a thief, and his thieving colored by his life as a superhero. His sense of pragmatism and conscience are constantly at odds with one another and always bleed into each other to some extent, and his power set, when used creativity, wonderfully compliments this. He has his own corner of the X-Men universe and a life away from them that has the potential to make him more interesting as a solo character than many characters. He has a bit more range in terms of story tone and genre that a lot of characters do, as well.

The first half of Fabian Nicieza's '99 Gambit series made a pretty convincing argument for all of this. His 2012 solo was also a really fun read in spite of being horribly-timed within the larger direction of the X-Men books. X-Men #33 also shows how complex of a guy he is, and might be the best single Gambit issue written.

At his worst, Gambit is a walking accent that just throws cards around while making puns and having lame pickup lines while also perpetually pining for Rogue.

The latter is the Gambit that has been in the mainline X-Men books for well over a decade, now, with the actual interesting version of Gambit being relegated to satellite titles that got minimal promotion, all while he's been slagged off by creators frequently.

In spite of being underused, misused, and sabotaged, Gambit still has fans hungering for him to become relevant again. It's absurd they're still going, at this point. It's absurd I'm even writing this post right now, but here we are. There's still a not-insignificant group of comics fans, myself included, that believe in the potential of the character. There's something there at the core of the character that's made him endure in spite of it all, or else this movie wouldn't even be a discussion.

Sorry to ramble on, but I'll sum it up by saying yeah, Gambit kinda sucks right now, but I think a good Gambit movie would surprise a lot of people who are underestimating how good the character actually can be and has been, and it would definitely do a lot to reinvigorate him in the comics. I strongly believe Gambit's best stories have yet to be written, but he can be a strong enough character and has a strong enough mythology around him for plenty of great stories to happen.

What we need is good heist films. I loved Ant man only because it became a heist film, and the way Marvel studios played with his powers during the heist is what made it really interesting. There is definitely a interesting bit we still haven’t explored yet with more modern cinema when it comes to heists.

I am hands down looking forward to it as a 1990s X-men fan.

Say what you want about A Cure for Wellness' batshit and sometimes offensive mysoginistic plot, but it was a beautifully directed and shot film.

Love Gambit. Yes he is pretty bland, yes my love for the character all comes from my nostalgia for the 90s cartoon and MvC, yes he is a product of a time period.

I do not need a Gambit movie. I especially do not need a Gambit movie starring Channing Tatum as Remy. I need Gambit as a semi-interesting, not terribly important but still fun side character in a good X-Men movie. So since that shit aint happening in this timeline just don't even bother

No he isn't. Hell i doubt most of the people that say that have even read a gambit comic. It's like aquaman pre nu52

There's likely a lot of truth to this. Something I hear said a lot is "Gambit only works as a supporting character in an ensemble cast" which is just completely untrue and is evidence that the people saying it don't actually know much about the character. Gambit is complex enough that he needs spotlight to avoid becoming a caricature of himself or just a generic roguish antihero, which is why the '99 solo is far and away the best reference point for him.

You and me will be Gambit hipsters if this movie actually ends up being good. :)

Top Bottom