• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAMBIT movie just became interesting. Verbinski in talks to direct.

But why Gambit though? Is he really the most popular x-man after Wolverine?

He was popular in the 90s. Same reason we're getting an Eddie Brock Venom movie.
And he's one of the few X-Men without claws who could support his own solo comic for a while. Plus, it's an easy concept to sell to people who've never heard of him: a mutant thief and would-be Casanova played by Channing Tatum.

sephiroth7x

What the fuck?

Go watch Logan Lucky right fucking now.

In fairness I haven't seen it! So I can't comment on that one... or the new Kingsmen movie.

But the movies I have seen him in, Jupiter Ascending, Magic Mike, Step Up, White House Down, Dear John... maybe more I aint sure? I haven't liked him in...

Don't know what it is about him... I just can't click with the guy...

I was iffy about Channing Tatum until he said this:

Channing Tatum said:
"...and he was the easiest person to play as a kid because you could just unscrew the broom handle, get a pack of cards and wrap a bandana around your head. We had a lot of fun throwing cards and trying to take our friends' eyes out across the living room."

Also, his role in The Hateful Eight gave me some more confidence he could pull it off.

I just remembered Verbinski also directed this:

220px-Mouse_hunt_ver4.jpg

That movie really puzzled me as a kid. Not sure if I should rewatch it or not...

In fairness I haven't seen it! So I can't comment on that one... or the new Kingsmen movie.

But the movies I have seen him in, Jupiter Ascending, Magic Mike, Step Up, White House Down, Dear John... maybe more I aint sure? I haven't liked him in...

What about the Jump Street films?

Mn, you ain't even seen the Jump Street movies?

Baby, what is you doing???

He's great, I just think you haven't seen his better work,
outside of Magic Mike which I will defend until the day I die..

Gambit is a fun ass dude in the cartoon. Verbinski is great at thinking up some imaginative setpieces and makes good looking movies, Tatum's dope. if they can keep the length of this in check (please Gore, don't bloat the shit out of this as well) and not have it go off the rails into practically every other superhero movie (save the world/save the city etc.) this could be entertaining.

gotta have a bunch of mon ami/mon cheris in there too. at least 20 times.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Verbinski is a very talented director who routinely chooses/crafts less-than-stellar scripts.

Mark Kermode's professional criticism often ejects from his mouth in the form of gibberish nonsense that he thinks is endearing.

Yeah, no.

Verbinski is a muppet who routinely runs mega over budget because he's obsessed with building real trains and real ships instead of actually making good films.

He's no one to blame but himself for the state of his career. Dude is the Dolph Ziggler of blockbusters - whatever potential he had had been pissed away because other people can do the same job better, on time, and for less money.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
after Deadpool, Logan and how promising New Mutants is shaping up i hope this happens and is real good

sephiroth7x

Mn, you ain't even seen the Jump Street movies?

Baby, what is you doing???

He's great, I just think you haven't seen his better work,
outside of Magic Mike which I will defend until the day I die..

Maybe so, I am always ready to have my opinion changed on people (I remember a time I used to slate on DiCaprio, man he made me change my mind). I HAVE seen Jump Street... not my humour though so it doesn't work for me.

hollomat

Banned
A lot of his films look gorgeous but he's not a particularly interesting filmmaker.

This. Interested in the movie even less if he directs. Pirates of the Caribbean 1 was a fluke as pirates of the Caribbean 2, 3 and the Lone Ranger were all terrible.

Top Bottom