• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAMBIT movie just became interesting. Verbinski in talks to direct.

Stiler

That's a decent choice, now to just get Tatum out and someone that fits the character better.

Someone who looks the part and can pull off the character and accent.

This article lays it out pretty simply:

But the one thing that Verbinski can easily do is make the Gambit movie fun. It doesn't have be super violent like Logan, and it doesn't have to be as serious as the X-Men movies. A Gambit movie can just be about a charismatic thief who goes on high adventures.

Does that sound familiar? It should, because Verbinski directed the first three Pirates of the Caribbean films that turned Captain Jack Sparrow into an internationally beloved icon.

The joy of watching Gambit in action is that he's such a scoundrel that you kind of love and hate him at the same time. Again, that's a very Jack Sparrow trait, that Verbinski could easily replicate (as he has in movies like The Weather Man and Rango).

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
There's likely a lot of truth to this. Something I hear said a lot is "Gambit only works as a supporting character in an ensemble cast" which is just completely untrue and is evidence that the people saying it don't actually know much about the character. Gambit is complex enough that he needs spotlight to avoid becoming a caricature of himself or just a generic roguish antihero, which is why the '99 solo is far and away the best reference point for him.

You and me will be Gambit hipsters if this movie actually ends up being good. :)

Before they decided to retread him I liked the direction they had him going in in x-factor. Being the sensible one on a team full of crazies was nice

Before they decided to retread him I liked the direction they had him going in in x-factor. Being the sensible one on a team full of crazies was nice

Yeah, that series started off really strong and I was enjoying that angle quite a bit.

It's too bad he's been portrayed as just a petty thief since that ended.

Parallax

Yeah, that series started off really strong and I was enjoying that angle quite a bit.

It's too bad he's been portrayed as just a petty thief since that ended.

Tell me about it. I was really hoping they would have gone the same route with him being the sensible one in the gambit vs deadpool series, but nope, petty thief

Tell me about it. I was really hoping they would have gone the same route with him being the sensible one in the gambit vs deadpool series, but nope, petty thief

He generally came across as the straight man compared to Deadpool, but pretty much any character would. That mini was fun, but it felt like an out of continuity comedy spinoff thing, and the writing was all over the place.

I think maybe the biggest problem Gambit's been facing for a while is that every time he gets some significant character development (X-23 mini, Gambit 2012 solo, All-New X-Factor), it's in some satellite book and then that development is completely ignored by the writers of the mainline books, so when he shows up, he's a cartoon again. And cartoon Gambit can still be fun, but it paints a pretty skewed view of him.

Cyclops development was completely in character

And I agree anti-Gambit was Scott is substance over style and a good character

They started losing me with Schism, and completely lost me the moment Cyclops was possessed with the Dark Phoenix and killed Xavier.

And Gambit has plenty of substance. You'd just need to read a Gambit comic to know it, which is the problem. People aren't going to read a comic about a character they haven't been given a reason to like in over 10 years, unless they were already a fan.

Parallax

You oppose the core of Cyclops... his rightfulness. It's basically the same. You've strayed so far from the light of his optic blasts. I hope one day you you might see it again and come home.

Sorry. Xman is my x-men. Unless cyke is coming back as boy scout Scott and not mini max, I'll be here backed by history

Sorry. Xman is my x-men. Unless cyke is coming back as boy scout Scott and not mini max, I'll be here backed by history

If they don't end up eventually going with the "Emma Frost was telepathically manipulating Cyclops all along!" explanation, I'll be flabbergasted. Not saying I even like that idea, but it's probably gonna happen.

WaterAstro

Gambit is never interesting

"I throw stuff."

kxmwoNq.jpg

A """leaked""" script description makes this seem like Ocean's 11 with mutants and if this movie can even match half the amount of charisma, breeziness, and style of those films, it might be a movie I really like.

If Verbinski manages to make this under 2 hours this will be great

Channing Tatum and the supposed heist focus already makes it one of the more promising superhero movies coming up tbh. Add Verbinskis knack for awesome setpieces and visuals and somehow this gambit movie finally starting to sound good

This makes it interesting?

What was the last solid live-action Verbinski joint? The original Pirates, in 2003?

A Cure for Wellness was the biggest turd I've seen this year.

Blader

The leaked plot breakdown sounded pretty interesting. I haven't really liked anything I've seen by Verbinski, but we'll see.

Top Bottom