• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Reviews Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 10/10

Muzy72

Banned
And to think Bravery Default is next. I haven't played 3DS in months but this is about to change. Now I need to take back my XL from my daughter, or get her a 2DS for her Animal Crossing daily fix :-/
You haven't played your 3DS in months but you play your Wii U daily?? What kind of backwards ass world do you live in???

I use both every day

Shinta

Banned
That sounds very good but the marketing guy at Nintendo said ALBW is targeted at kids instead of the fans :( I'm worried now...

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/nintendo-uk-talks-about-marketing-plans-for-a-link-between-worlds

Marketing is aimed at kids.

The gameplay is Aonuma making what he wants, and trying to shake up the old Zelda formula as Miyamoto leaves his disciples with full autonomy. Zelda Wii U should shake things up even more.

The driving force behind the design in ALBW is exploiting 3D, and designing new puzzles based around verticality and maneuvering around every area in a 3D space with the painting ability. It would be a crime to play it with the 3D off.

D-e-f-

Banned
That sounds very good but the marketing guy at Nintendo said ALBW is targeted at kids instead of the fans :( I'm worried now...

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/nintendo-uk-talks-about-marketing-plans-for-a-link-between-worlds

a) your reading comprehension sucks
b) why do you prioritize what some marketing guy says over what you actually can already see of the game?

this is what he said:
We will also have bespoke activity aimed at a kids audience showcasing the characters and ingenious gameplay.

This has NOTHING to do with what you just said. He said they will have ACTIVITIES AIMED AT KIDS to SHOW OFF THE GAME.

Why does the marketing of the game geared towards kids sour you? Do you really think Nintendo should market the game towards adults?

Well, of course? I thought ALBW is targeted at the fans who played ALTTP back in the day? And the new TV commercial already did it the right way.

balohna

He said they're marketing it at kids. They don't really need to market it to adult gamers, since a lot of us love Zelda already and are going to be reading what seems to be some positive reviews (have not heard any negative impressions at all so far, aside from uglygate but even he said it played great).

The limited time (~20 mins) I've spent with the game was enough to convince me it was definitely worth checking out. I'm kinda burned out by typical Zelda fare (couldn't make it through Skyward Sword and I'm not sure I'll play WW HD all the way through) but this one is enough of a breathe of fresh air to peak my interest.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not sure how trustworthy Game Informer are (I know they gave Paper Mario 2 a 6/10), but that sounds like a pretty good start to me.

Yes, nine years ago, an associate editor who since leaving Game Informer has worked 6 different subsequent jobs and his partner who since leaving Game Informer has worked 7 different subsequent jobs, gave Paper Mario 2 a 6.75 before subsequently apologizing.

That sounds like a pretty good basis on which to be judging other reviews in the magazine in 2013.

a) your reading comprehension sucks
b) why do you prioritize what some marketing guy says over what you actually can already see of the game?

this is what he said:

This has NOTHING to do with what you just said. He said they will have ACTIVITIES AIMED AT KIDS to SHOW OFF THE GAME.

Uh, what for activities... Hopefully nothing awkward.. Of course the marketing has something to do with the target audience.

balohna

Although I was still addicted to it when I played it and consider it a great game, Twilight Princess was disappointing to me on some levels. The dungeons felt repetitive to me, and there were so many. And it was somehow even easier than Wind Waker. It's probably my least favourite 3D Zelda.

In terms of 2D Zeldas... I wouldn't really count Adventure of Link because it plays totally different, so I'd honestly say the original is my least favourite. I wasn't born when it came out though, I'm sure at the time it was mind blowing.

He said they're marketing it at kids. They don't really need to market it to adult gamers, since a lot of us love Zelda already and are going to be reading what seems to be some positive reviews (have not heard any negative impressions at all so far, aside from uglygate but even he said it played great).

We are internet nerds and Zelda fans. I think many of the people who played ALTTP back in the day are just regular gamers now who play Shit of Duty and aren't hanging out much on the Internet.

It seems that preorders for this game are sold out on Amazon? It says it can't give a delivery date due to lack of stock.

Edit: huh, the message has disappeared. Maybe it was temporary? Still says it can't give a delivery date but doesn't say why now.

You liar, someone will give it a 10.

Someone will. I expect more 9s and some 8s, though.

As troll-y as some of the people who really, really, don't like 3D World come off, they do represent the opinions of a certain segment of people disappointed that 3D World is not revolutionizing Mario like Galaxy and 64 before it and those people are likely to review games.

No online multiplayer, the inability to mention a second quest (if there is one), difficulty, coming within a week of more-powerful consoles, etc. If you fell off the fence a certain way, it probably would not be difficult to justify giving Mario a mediocre score.

Then again, everyone hated NSMBU and I found that game fun as hell, just saying what I think will happen. It's not paranoia or a persecution complex, mind you, I don't think anyone will be grading with biases or agendas that can not simply be boiled down "This person likes what they like."

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Just out of curiosity -- has GI given other handheld games a 10/10 to anyone's knowledge?

If only Game Informer had a website that listed their reviews by score. Or if there were some sort of website that lists all game reviews by score. And allows one to search for a publication's review by score. A META analysis of CRITICal game reviews as it were.

The answer's Metroid Fusion by the way

I don't doubt this game will be great, but they gave SS a perfect score so I'm a little wary of GI (nor have I forgotten their PM:TTYD score. Blasphemy!).

D-e-f-

Banned
Uh, what for activities... Hopefully nothing awkward.. Of course the marketing has something to do with the target audience.

zeldaratingsmfsjj.jpg

Notice something? Zelda's target audience starts at age 7 and up.
edit: 3+ actually, looking at Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures!
ALTTP is also rated 7, btw (VC version was the first with a PEGI rating)

I don't doubt this game will be great, but they gave SS a perfect score so I'm a little wary of GI (nor have I forgotten their PM:TTYD score. Blasphemy!).

The game has issues but the overall experience would prompt me to give a 10/10 as well in spite of them. In a world where I would give scores (which are the devil and I hate everyone using them for opinion-based reviews).

balohna

We are internet nerds and Zelda fans. I think many of the people who played ALTTP back in the day are just regular gamers now who play Shit of Duty and aren't hanging out much on the Internet.

They won't buy it anyway, why bother marketing to them? Basically adults that will buy it already know about it, kids that might want it may not. So market to kids.

It's pretty simple.

Nilaul

The game is so hard that it will piss off many young kids. Young kids have no self control so they will slam the 3DS/2DS against the wall, thus they will have to buy another 3DS/2DS to replace the broken one.

Its a genius plan.

Aonuma already said the game was easy, so I doubt they'll be any of that.

Not like 95% of any of the Zelda games are particularly difficult anyway

Nilaul

I thought the game was hard. :-S Puzzle challenging wise; not toddler level puzzles. Well combat is sorted out; I'll just play on hero mode if anything but I want nice challenging puzzles.

I'm hoping for some brain teasing puzzles.

But combat wise, the only challenging zelda game is zelda 2, but even that's pretty fair.

Yesss!! Between 3DS and Wii U I have so much to play it is overwhelming.

So excited for this!! Playing WW HD right now and want to get OoT also.

Conor 419

Banned
SO EXCITED, LITERALLY THROWING CHAIRS AND SHIT.

I feel this game is going to be a very exciting basis for what will come for the Wii U. I'm loving the idea of being able to explore the whole map at your leisure, as well as completing any dungeon in any order, it's Zelda the way it should be. Immediately when I play this game I'm going to get as many fucking Rupees as I can, buy everything and then set off on my quest.

GAME OF THE YEAR, GAME OF THE NEW GENERATION, BEST GAME SINCE SKYWARD SWORD, HYYYYYYYYPE.

Top Bottom