• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: " Why Xenoblade Chronicles Makes Me Want To Punch a Kitten"

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't think Monolith is a big enough company to be able to create a game as massive as Xenoblade with high-definition assets. The irony is without a platform like Wii, I don't think Monolith will be able to create a Xenoblade in the first place.

Owzers

The art is still beautiful, but it could have been more- that's all.

On this I think most people can agree.

Yep, and i think the problem is, the bar for " could have been more" is what people say about 360/PS3 games right now since we're so far into this generation. But when people go and play a Wii game in between ps3/360 releases, it's a drastic difference, almost akin to going through a PS2/Xbox/Cube backlog.

This Xenoblade Chronicles hype is getting ridiculous. It's a good game, but it is not good enough to be compared to FFVII. FFVII is the better JRPG. It has the better battle system, the better growth system, better sidequests, the better soundtrack, the better story, and the better cast of characters.

Ultimadrago

Are you kidding me?

LEWVj.gif

It's like the PS2 never existed or something. Where were the complaints of ugly graphics back then?

It's because more people are playing their Wii on low quality LCD HDTVs instead of high quality CRTs for some reason. Wii games look terrific when you're not using display tech which makes all SD content look abominable.

It's like the PS2 never existed or something. Where were the complaints of ugly graphics back then?

There were complaints. Remember the inferior RE4 port? Remember how xbox version of multiplatform games was usually superior?

Video games. There will never be no complaints ever. ;)

Xenoblade fills that position, but is only available to people who own this 'casual' gaming device.

I think the Wii sold enough that you can't consider the entire user base "casual." It's like arguing that everyone bought the DS for Brain Age. Eventually you have to stop drawing your broad brush and consider that it's not as simple as it first appears.

This Xenoblade Chronicles hype is getting ridiculous. It's a good game, but it is not good enough to be compared to FFVII. FFVII is the better JRPG. It has the better battle system, the better growth system, better sidequests, the better soundtrack, the better story, and the better cast of characters.

Okay, I fucking love FFVII, but even I think your full of shit.

snesfreak

Banned
I respectfully disagree.

jman2050

It's because more people are playing their Wii on low quality LCD HDTVs instead of high quality CRTs for some reason. Wii games look terrific when you're not using display tech which makes all SD content look abominable.

I dunno, most of my last-gen games+Wii games look perfectly fine on my HDTV. Maybe I just have one of the good TVs?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

The only thing that I can agree with you is the sidequest part.

Beth Cyra

Again it's not even about quality here.

Trying to make a claim that Xenoblade would have any kind of impact even similar to FF VII's is crazy simply because of the cutural change it caused when it came to the way the NA's looked at the genre.

Xenoblade simply wouldn't have this kind of impact.

ChrisWarcraft

Neo Member
You didn't say that but going but what you said in your article (aka what is actually reading comprehension) you do nothing but trash Nintendo and the Wii for the graphical capabilities of the system and mock the actual advancement in hardware that they did make with motion controls. You tout the NES and SNES as technical marvels but you never mention how behind the Game Boy was next to the Game Gear, which you conveniently ignored. Was a game like Link's Awakening hampered by the Game Boy? The answer is nobody gives a shit today because it's a great game. Where were your articles last generation when the PS2 was holding back third party games for Gamecube and Xbox because it was the target platform since it had the biggest install base?

I've already commented on your surprising ability to speculate on the future which you ignored, so to see you keep chugging along with shit like this is not surprising.

Oh man, how could I be so jaded not to see that you're fighting the good fight here? If it wasn't for you being a god champion of the people with such wonderful, insightful and groundbreaking articles straight from 2006 I don't think Nintendo would ever get it.

Maybe if you actually wrote more than complaining and bitching about a systems capabilities in its last year of life I could actually say you weren't a graphics whore but you haven't done or said anything to prove otherwise. The fact that you were so ready and eager to come on neoGAF to defend your opinion just shows how fucking pathetic you are that you can't let your piece stand for itself amidst criticism. Protip: If you don't like what people say in response to your opinion maybe learn how to write better or don't write shit at all.

You are an angry angry person, and I am sorry you have to live your life that way. Can I get you a nice cup of warm milk?

I dunno, most of my last-gen games+Wii games look perfectly fine on my HDTV. Maybe I just have one of the good TVs?

The issue is that... 'HD tv' can mean a bunch of different things here.

You might have a 30" tv. You might sit super close or super far away from your tv. Too many variables for a super general statement of 'Wii games look like shit on my hdtv".

And people can't argue that the character models (especially the faces) are probably close to early ps2 models. Shit is ugly as sinners.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

qYEHdX4X3jbl68kcr4EO5pvdo1_500.jpg

if you are so sure about what you are saying, explain how FFVII battle system is better, how the music is better, etc.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So essentially the pitch is: I love Xenoblade, I just wish it had a lot better "more realized" graphics, and damn Nintendo for holding back Xenoblade's and other IP's graphics with shoddy hardware for a casual audience.

Is that pretty much it? If so, massive logical flaws in the flow of rationale and carry through. First, by this logic EVERY single game ever released would be better with better graphics, more realized and more entertaining. And the most obvious exclusion of logical carry through is, where does Chris Warcraft draw the line? When does a game qualify as "meeting his visual standards", on 360, on PS3, on my $4000 gaming rig? Why not rail against other games on 360 or PS3 for not being acceptable hardware to showcase all of this visual flair?

We need a baseline set of acceptable standards I think (including res, frame rate, and maybe a few visual options to help avoid another article), so we can all rally Nintendo HQ to fulfill the wishes of Chris Warcraft. And to never again, never again let a godly game like Xenoblade suffer such an unfortunate visual/aesthetic fate.

This. I have a six-core PC. I feel like kicking a puppy because Sony launched Uncharted on their console instead. What a waste. The game's not even proper HD!!111111

Maxim726X

The issue is that... 'HD tv' can mean a bunch of different things here.

You might have a 30" tv. You might sit super close or super far away from your tv. Too many variables for a super general statement of 'Wii games look like shit on my hdtv".

And people can't argue that the character models (especially the faces) are probably close to early ps2 models. Shit is ugly as sinners.

I have a 50 inch Samsung DLP and the game is kinda a blurry mess... It would look better on a CRT? Or am I doing something horribly wrong?

Hero

I also wonder: why punch a kitten? Did the kitten produced Xenoblade?
Must be a pretty special kitten if that was the case.

Must've. Maybe if he just punched himself instead we would've all been spared this thread. At least in some way this is entertaining.

I don't think Monolith is a big enough company to be able to create a game as massive as Xenoblade with high-definition assets. The irony is without a platform like Wii, I don't think Monolith will be able to create a Xenoblade in the first place.

This is a fair and most likely accurate point that Chris is probably ignorant of. Not only that, but considering that Nintendo didn't even have faith in the title to give it a regular retail release in the west, I really doubt that if the Wii was an HD system Nintendo would have have let Takahashi and the rest of his team have their own game like they did due to the drastic cost of development.

Most appropriate username ever. You truly are a Hero of the Web.

Thanks. For clarification, I don't necessarily disagree with the opinion itself that the Wii had a lot of limitations for developers but the way the opinion was presented as a piece by Game Informer just makes me look down on the quality of journalism in the game industry. Throw in the fact that e3 is barely more than a month away and we're going to see what the Wii U is really capable of, the article was unneeded.

AniHawk

This is a fair and most likely accurate point that Chris is probably ignorant of. Not only that, but considering that Nintendo didn't even have faith in the title to give it a regular retail release in the west, I really doubt that if the Wii was an HD system Nintendo would have have let Takahashi and the rest of his team have their own game like they did due to the drastic cost of development.

aren't they currently making a 3ds game and a wii u game?

by they i mean monolithsoft.

i suppose i could have just typed monolithsoft instead of they because this is a forum post, but oh whatever i'm going to hit the submit reply button now.

fernoca

And yet you're the person who's throwing a shit fit over Xenoblade's graphics. lol irony

Poor punched kitten. :p

What is weird is that Chris' approval was sped-up, because he wanted to defend his stance..and yet, he has either ignored most replies or replied with meme pictures or just with irony and sarcasm. Nothing perosonal, but I doubt that's going to make things better. Seeing his responses, he doens't care what anyone thinks.

Granted, that doesn't make some from "the other side" right (i.e. the ones jumping on him, or insulting him just because "OMG he said something negative about Xenoblade/Nintendo").

i suppose i could have just typed monolithsoft instead of they because this is a forum post, but oh whatever i'm going to hit the submit reply button now.
Yep. They also opened a new studio last year, so they seem to be expanding.

I have a 50 inch Samsung DLP and the game is kinda a blurry mess... It would look better on a CRT? Or am I doing something horribly wrong?

the way xenoblade is 'designed' visually, shit just looks bad on an HDTV that's bigger than 30" imo.

I have a 60" tv, and xenoblade looks bad no matter how far I sit.

To be fair he did address most of the stuff that's being said already, and stuff like what hero posted is either irrelevant to the discussion or just comes off as being angry for the sake of being angry.

There's not much else to be said at this point.

Seda

To be fair he did address most of the stuff that's being said already, and stuff like what hero posted is either irrelevant to the discussion or just comes off as being angry for the sake of being angry.

Pretty much.

I think this is pretty arguable.

Better battle system?

Maybe, but even though Xenoblade is a bit too automated it still finds away to be very involved. It also cuts out the teiduem of jrpgs with lame mana restrictins and the like. It's just more enjoyable to play. I can't even remember much about VII's combat.

Better growth system?

Materia is pretty lame. Characters really in the end have no importance. Unlike Vi which had blank slate characters, but your choices of what you attach to them stay and are all up to you. In VII Materia basically makes everyone interchangeable. That alone is pretty weak to me. Xenoblade at least has distinct characters that all have interesting classes and play styles, making party makeup actually important. Unlike VII.

Better story?

Maybe. But then again outside of Cloud's role nothing of VII is interesting to me. Meanwhile the world of Xenoblade and it's mythology while kind of trippy is cool to watch and playout. It's an interesting world to learn about, to see how it works. Outside of Midgar, I never cared about anything in VII's world. I won't forget the world of Xenoblade, how could I? It's two mech gods. XB's story is completely full of twists and turns and it's just entertaining. But thats just my opinion. I also think the cast of Xenoblade is a whole lot more well rounded. Nothing standout maybe, but nothing annoying and they seem to get equal play in the story. I really don't remember the characters of VII outside of Cloud, his story really just dominated it.

Better music?

Eh they both fall short compared to FFVIII.

Better sidequests?
Well Xenoblade's aren't great, since they are pretty pointless. But I actually did them because they weren't annoying to do, so XB wins.

Man I think this is as close as XB will get to a backlash thread.

Hero

Going by the information that is available, that is correct. However a quick internet search shows that both times they announced they were working on those projects they also announced that they were hiring additional staff. When Xenoblade Chronicles was in development I wouldn't think their staff would've been capable of an HD version due to staff size and possibly even technical experience.

Neverfade

This. Jesus christ, internet, you crazy.

Reallink

You know "N64 Textures" is popular hyperbole, but Xenoblade really does have some bonafide absolutely 1:1 N64 quality textures in certain places. A few of the walls in the larger areas are just wow.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For the last six years, it seems arguments over Wii visuals boil down to:

1: someone says "wow, thanks to its art direction and using the hardware well, this Wii game has really awesome graphics by any standard."

2: next guy says "Nintendo apologist! You have no standards, class, or intelligence! All honest people see that every Wii game looks like a steaming pile of shit."

3: another guy offers "But that's not literally true. Here's this screen shot of Mario Galaxy running through an emulator so you can see how it looks in high res!"

4: angry guy retorts "that just proves how much of an insult the Wii is to discriminating true gamers."

5: everybody goes "What are you talking about? Prove wuh huh how?"

6: angry gamer gets more arch with "Real gamers don't accept the Wii's pathetic IQ and resolution! The emulator only proves you'd all prefer to play real games on real hardware!"

7: everybody then goes "This is just about the screen resolution? Sure, it's too bad the Wii is 480p, but there's more to graphics than that."

8: FUCKARGHGWAR PLEBES FANBOYS *SPIT* MARIO SUX NINTENDO JUST MAKES THE SAME GAME OVER AND OVER ANYWAY I PLAY GROWN UP GAMES!!111

This is, perhaps, a slight exaggeration. Or not. I've seen some threads pretty much go exactly this way.

But when speaking about visuals, some people consider IQ inseparable from "good graphics" and that's that. The HD consoles don't get as much flack relative to the Wii because their native resolution isn't "last gen". But you can still find plenty of people who snipe that their "six year old shitty graphics" are an insult to man, woman, and child, because there's no AA. Just not the overwhelming majority that snipe at Wii games.

Magnus

Do I get banned for agreeing with him? I'm as surprised as anyone to see this make 'article' status in GI, but it perfectly reflects how I feel about the game. I stopped playing because of the frustratingly poor graphics. Never before had I felt so strongly that a game's overall package was so wounded and shackled from true greatness by its visuals.

Seda

Do I get banned for agreeing with him? I'm as surprised as anyone to see this make 'article' status in GI, but it perfectly reflects how I feel about the game. I stopped playing because of the frustratingly poor graphics. Never before had I felt so strongly that a game's overall package was so wounded and shackled from true greatness by its visuals.

There's a good handful that agreed with him, don't feel isolated.

ChrisWarcraft

Neo Member
Poor punched kitten. :p

What is weird is that Chris' approval was sped-up, because he wanted to defend his stance..and yet, he has either ignored most replies or replied with meme pictures or just with irony and sarcasm. Nothing perosonal, but I doubt that's going to make things better. Seeing his responses, he doens't care what anyone thinks.

Granted, that doesn't make some from "the other side" right (i.e. the ones jumping on him, or insulting him just because "OMG he said something negative about Xenoblade/Nintendo").

Yep. They also opened a new studio last year, so they seem to be expanding.

I came here to interact with the NeoGAF community. You guys are welcome to disagree with me, but it's hilarious to watch the posturing and posing coming from people who decry my methods yet use the exact same ones to make their own arguments.

I respond to legitimate questions with legitimate answers, I respond to troll questions with troll answers, and I've been gaming long enough to know the difference. It baffles me why some of you think that just because I play football somehow means I'm not a gamer; or that my writing style invalidates any points I make. I like hyperbole, I like ludicrous wordplay, and I like to write honestly. If that offends you, well, my apologies.

tl;dr Internets are srs bizness

There has never EVER been a more appropriate use for this gif. Magnificent. Sad that I didn't think of it first.

Really? I guess I failed to read between the lines of those Haters Gonna Hate Jpegs they way you seem to be able too. But whatevs.

While i do love some good old sarcasm, he did make more then one post with the first couple at least being direct responses to questions about his article / opinion. He made a single post with the haters gonna hate picture after people started ganging up on him which is no more then a ton of other people on neogaf already do on a normal basis.

Margalis

Banned
This guy is a moron, "LOL games journalism" strikes again.

When I see the titans fighting during the opening sequence, it fails to instill the grandeur of just how large they really are that you get later on in the game because the Wii flat out sucks at portraying it.

Spoken like a technical genius. Apparently the Wii has some sort of hardware limitation that prevents that scene from having scale-establishing objects.

Too bad the Wii doesn't include a "make big things look big" co-processor like Xenon does!

Hero

You are an angry angry person, and I am sorry you have to live your life that way. Can I get you a nice cup of warm milk?

I'm hardly angry, I don't care about your opinion that much for you to evoke an emotional response from me. I tried to address your points to which you tried to just lump my opinion into calling you a graphics whore. From that point on I see that you've only shown disrespect to not only me but other members of the community here so I'm not going to try soften my words when addressing you when all you've done is insult people and try to post memes. The fact that you begged to have your account approved, when there are probably thousands of people who have waited months to get approval so they can legitimately post here, only to have it actually rushed through and then show up and start shit because people didn't like your article shows me that you're the angry, angry person.

fernoca

I came here to interact with the NeoGAF community. You guys are welcome to disagree with me, but it's hilarious to watch the posturing and posing coming from people who decry my methods yet use the exact same ones to make their own arguments.

I respond to legitimate questions with legitimate answers, I respond to troll questions with troll answers, and I've been gaming long enough to know the difference. It baffles me why some of you think that just because I play football somehow means I'm not a gamer; or that my writing style invalidates any points I make. I like hyperbole, I like ludicrous wordplay, and I like to write honestly. If that offends you, well, my apologies.

tl;dr Internets are srs bizness
Ugh ..you play football?..

:p

But I'm just saying is that, since you're starting and you're the current focus (or the whole focus) of this thread, you should've toned down some of the sarcasm and stuff. Like when Andrex posted "his pointers" and you replied with that "hatters gonna hate" pic and then said that you just assumed he was a troll; when you could've replied even with what you just said...that "it is the way you write" that the GI piece was not supposed to be an in-depth analysis or a serious one; etc.

Or even if Hero's post came as as angry, pissed off, etc.; cases like that don't reply; just ..well, there's an ignore fucntion. Add users to it and it makes thing usually easier too; even when other may quote them and you see the quotes.

Heck, most posters are usually scared of posting during the first months because a ban is a perma-ban during the Junior Status phase. :p

Terrell

All I see is herp derp herp derp

Game journalism.

Yeah... it's like everything in a previous generation is unplayable because it looks like shit compared to current gen. And I admit 3D graphics age worse than their 2D counterparts, but even still....

PUNCH A KITTEN? I can think of more things deserving of kitten-punching than a piece of entertainment being technologically dated. It's still visually lovely.

MisterHero

Do I wish a Pokemon game could be made in full 3D like the world Pokemon Snap teased me with? Hell yeah.

No more of that lame top-down 3D, half-realized story with Colosseum and XD.

Does it mean Nintendo stopped caring because the DS remakes, Black/White still re-use the grid-based sprite/world presentation? I dunno. Maybe it speaks about the priorities in making a finished, and profitable product. People seem to love the new games too.

With the games, they've put in a ton of time on spritework (multiplied by at least 3 times, between the main series, Ranger, and Mystery Dungeon), as 'aged' as the art direction looks. As it can be shown with Pokedex, they are making all the Pokemon in 3D, and may someday give them a dozen/dozens of animation each and unique sounds (if not the anime voices) for a Stadium successor.

Perhaps next generation, we will have that 3D Pokemon. Damn if it isn't a ton of work though.

Yes, when Nintendo puts that much time behind one property, they're going to use it over and over again. Just like any smart developer, because Nintendo isn't alone or even the "worst" at re-using their IPs multiple times in one generation.

Top Bottom