• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif
The Micheal Jordan of the game of thrones right here, everyone.

faster pace or not, they could've come up with better and more meaningful things for the characters to say to each other

i had a long rant on how much I found wrong with the meeting Jon & Dany, but even last episode after Jaime told Dickon that the Tyrell forces didn't have to die, it turns into a short conversation about dead bodies smelling and a jackass line from Bronn. I would've rather heard Dickon say something like "Olenna betrayed Cersei? What about Cersei betraying the Queen? The Queen married to King Tommen, was Queen Margery granddaughter to Olenna. Cersei burned her alive. Cersei burned the Queen alive. Does that not sound like a fucking betrayal to you fuckboy?" Followed by an awkward pause like we got with Jaime and Olenna after she confessed about Joffrey, and then cut to Bronn hearing the Dothraki herd.

But to be clear, just because I have certain criticisms about this doesn't mean I'm not loving this show; this still the best damn show ever, but its written dialogue has gotten weak, in my opinion. That's all I'm saying.

Why would Dickon argue against his father's support of Cersei to her brother/lover?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Here's my pont: Dany's been saying she's better for the past few seasons. Instead, according to you, she did what any lord in the Seven Kingdoms would've done. Killed traitors. Even though her hand said to take them captive. And yes, I have a problem with her burning her enemies alive when she's already won the battle and has them. I think it's fucking crazy. It makes me think she's gonna turn out more like her Dad. Even Tyrion and Vary's were worried.
And that's where you're wrong. Other lords wouldn't have given the option to reaffirm their vows. So yes, executing two traitorous lords while sparing hundreds of soldiers is different to every other lord in Westeros. You're still not answering my question in regards to what Sansa did to Ramsay, and the fact that Jon almost assuredly would have known she planned to kill him.

The Mad King didn't execute people simply because they fought against him in battle. He executed people
he believed were plotting against him, real or otherwise. Executing the Tarlys by way of Drogon had the added affect of making those who doubted that accepting Dany's offer wasn't the right choice, to immediately change their minds. Those two executions preserved the lives of hundreds more. You think they would have accepted had they been beheaded? Tyrion suggested taking the Black, and Tarly spat that back at them. So that's two options he refused. Dany's point stands. If she compromises she ends up looking weak. It's the same point Tyrion made in Mereen.

zbarron

It's not a stretch he'd use the hammer after finding out who his father was. Find out your father was really a king, read up all the stories that glorify him in battle with a hammer. Also easier to use than a sword I imagine.
Not to mention he's a blacksmith. He swings a hammer all day every day for a living. It makes sense he'd feel more comfortable with one than a sword.

FiggyCal

Banned
This doesn't explain anything.

They can't kill a wight, they have to kill a human and bring a human over before it turns.

They can destroy a wight, but it will only reanimate upon the command of the NK.

They can't use Valyrian sword on it, or it will shatter, they can't use a flaming sword of it will perm kill it.

So how exactly are they bringing on over for proof? Unless they catch a living wight, chain it up then how else will they do it? That's even if the Magical barrier doesn't stop it from crossing over.

I'm not sure if we're clear on the rules of the Wall at this point.

Nameless

They can't kill a wight, they have to kill a human and bring a human over before it turns.

They can destroy a wight, but it will only reanimate upon the command of the NK.

They can't use Valyrian sword on it, or it will shatter, they can't use a flaming sword of it will perm kill it.

So how exactly are they bringing on over for proof? Unless they catch a living wight, chain it up then how else will they do it? That's even if the Magical barrier doesn't stop it from crossing over.

You said what would Jon do, would he kill them knowing it was Sam's father and I said no, he would ask Sam, who would make them take the black.

But, had Jon not known them, or Sam. He would have killed them for treason just the same as Dany did.

I'm confused now too, lol.

It explains that Wights, unlike the White Walkers, can survive beyond the Wall. And yes, the plan is to catch an 'live' one. Jeor sent the rotted hand to KL and nothing happened. Southerners need to see the real thing in the rotting undead flesh.

That episode played out like some really bad fan fiction.

I'm not sure why Dany would agree to a truce. It offers no benefit to her plans and more than likely will harm her.

I'm not buying Dany doing it all because of Jon's speech. And let's say she's falling in love with him; it would still be out of character for her to put her personal feelings in front of her goal.

You think this episode is bad fanfiction, and not, you know, pretty much everything that has happened to Dany since she was captured by Dothraki?

Volimar

Says who? Remember that Sam noticed that the bodies they brought back to Castle Black had no smell. It's likely they already turned. Hence, why I'm thinking that they can't pass the Wall, but they can be brought through it by the living.

So the barrier is definitely down then since Bran crossed.

Still no evidence of that.

It explains that Wights, unlike the White Walkers, can survive beyond the Wall. And yes, the plan is to vsct a living one. Jeor sent the rotted hand to KL and nothing happened. Southerners need to see the real thing in the rotting undead flesh.

Yeah, I'm aware of survival. I just wondered how they planned on doing it IF the barrier was still up, but now we can assume the barrier is definitely down as per that behind the episode video.

Says who? Remember that Sam noticed that the bodies they brought back to Castle Black had no smell. It's likely they already turned. Hence, why I'm thinking that they can't pass the Wall, but they can be brought through it by the living.

Still no evidence of that.

Ah, we'll see I guess.

FiggyCal

Banned
Yeah, that's what I was saying on the last page.

Way to toss out Jon is the legitimitate Targ King.

Wouldn't Dany still be the legitimate Queen? She is the Mad King's daughter. Jon is like next in line after her.

Being a Targaryen won't do Jon any favors in the North anyway. It's best if Bran actually keeps it to himself - at least for now.

Guevara

Some things felt off for me this episode. Littlefinger seemingly looking like he knew Arya was following him, hard to buy. One was trained by the greatest assassin in the world the other owned a brothel...

Also Dany non reaction to Jon Snow caressing Drogon and not getting his hand eaten. Even for Dany it took awhile to tame Drogon but she shrugged it off like it was something normal, I expected more of a reaction.
These both really bothered me too.

wandering

Banned
Wouldn't Dany still be the legitimate Queen? She is the Mad King's daughter. Jon is like next in line after her.

Being a Targaryen won't do Jon any favors in the North anyway. It's best if Bran actually keeps it to himself - at least for now.

If Jon is the legitimate son of Rhaegar he'd be the rightful heir as the offspring of the firstborn son of the king. Line of succession only goes to Dany as long as there are no descendants of her brothers.

Ferrio

Banned
There should be betting on who lives/dies in the squad. You'd bet a sucker not to be on Jorah not kicking it. That last scene with Tyrion and Dany was a death sentence.

VeeP

And that's where you're wrong. Other lords would have given the option to reaffirm their vows. So yeas, executing two traitorous lords while sparing hundreds of soldiers is different to every other lord in Westeros. You're still not answering my question in regards to what Sand did to Ramsay, and the fact that Jon almost assuredly would have known she planned to kill him.

The Mad King didn't execute people simple because they fought against him in battle. He exercised people
He believed were plotting against him, real or otherwise. Executing the Tarlys by way of Drogon had the added affect of making those who doubted that accepting Dany's offer wasn't the right choice, to immediately change their minds. Those two executions preserved the lives of hundreds more. You think they would have accepted had they been beheaded? Tyrion suggested taking the Black, and Tarly spat that back at them. So that's two options he refused. Dany's point stands. If she compromises she ends up looking weak. It's the same point Tyrion made in Mereen.

Sansa fed Ramsey to the dogs right? Yea, that was a little crazy too. She's spent so much time with Cersei, Joffrey, LF and Ramsey I think she's become a lot like them in some ways. Guess we'll see where the show goes.

I think you make a lot of solid points. In the end, I just really hate the idea of burning soldiers. I also feel like Dickon might've changed his mind like Tyrion said, but who knows. In the end it's war.

Most of the Wight Extraction Team have a common thread: they are dead men walking themselves...

Jon: literally dead and brought back to life
Barric: Same, many times over
Hound: left for dead by Brienne
Gendry: had been sold as a sacrifice, smuggled away
Davos: had been sentenced to death for smuggling but Stannis cut his fingertips off instead
Jorah: cured from fatal disease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom