• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Over when MC dies in Persona is a terrible mechanic. Why is this still a thing?

Tigress

So I was in a Palace running around solving puzzles and I ambushed an enemy. It wasn't easy anyway but I took it down and got EXP. MC was at full health after the battle.

Immediately upon regaining control, a shadow spawned behind me. With no time to react it ambushed me and immediately launched a fire attack to knock my MC over as I had no ability to change personas. Then on it's "One More" it did the exact same thing, killing the MC. Game Over.

As a Soulsborne vet there was nothing "difficult but fair" about this exchange; just a "Fuck You, go waste another hour," about it.

I think that is more a problem that the game shouldn't spawn an enemy right behind you when you get no chance to hide or prevent being ambushed. I do think that's something that should be fixed but I think the unfairness there is it doesn't let you use the mechanic to prevent from getting ambushed that it so much encourages.

Fandangox

Its kind of dumb in this game, there are situations that will just genuinely be pure luck and be out of control of the player, something as simple as getting a crit'd on the MC and have the enemy do a 1 more to finish off.

Its much better on games like FE where all the variables are known to the player, or Devil Survivor where this even applied to the opponents and there was a risk/reward thing going on eliminating the opponent's Human Summoner to get rid of the unit's party at once, but you get less EXP that way.

SMTIVA while still being somewhat easy thanks to being able to save anywhere, and having basically no game overs, it balanced it off by making the boss battles much more challenging, there some bosses in where one couldn't rely on the tried and true "debuff enemy attack, buff party defense) tactic because some of them would have some gimmicks to counter that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I think that is more a problem that the game shouldn't spawn an enemy right behind you when you get no chance to hide or prevent being ambushed. I do think that's something that should be fixed but I think the unfairness there is it doesn't let you use the mechanic to prevent from getting ambushed that it so much encourages.

I would agree if the game didn't end when only the MC is dead, which is the point of this thread. Morgana had a Recarm spell with my name all over it if the game had just let me.

Zarth

While I think it is a difficult mechanic with insta-death it feels decently balanced in Persona 5 compared to P3 or P4 where I lost my MC way more often on Hard (I lost once in P5 to a insta kill). One of the problems it does have is it is more punishing at the start and less punishing at the end.

Might have been nice if they disable it on Easy for people who struggle/aren't interested in the challenges.

It fits the game's core combat structure of "Don't hastily engage enemies".

mdubs

Banned
The complaint makes sense, but when you level up your social links by the time you get to harder dungeons your party members will take fatal hits for you

Two Words

It's really not hard to avoid. Persona 5 is a very easy game. This is one of its few challenging aspects. Just have MC guard when you're up against an enemy that you aren't sure how they attack and figure out what it can do. In reality, you'll likely be overleveled anyways and be able to survive it.

PSqueak

Banned
I just don't understand why this is still a system after all these games. Like why can't my homies use a revive on me like I can for them?

The in game logic is that you literally are telling them what to do at any time (if you have direct command on, and let's be honest, why wouldn't you), so you're dead and cant tell them to. I know, it's stupid.

The real reason tho, i believe it's to make the experience more personal, you die and you DIE.

Carl7

I just finished the third dungeon and as much as the game is awesome sometimes I wish I could skip all the fighting. The stealth thing is so bad and annoying.

Its usually tolerable but getting ambushed by groups of enemies with (Ma) hama /mudo (on) can lead to some pretty unstoppable deaths unless you perpetually only use Persona that null Light and Dark.

It usually happens to me like once a game and it never stops feeling unfair (In P4 the group and mass hit effect burnt through all my items and team member defenses). I see one of the DLC accessories in this nulls both.

Kenaras

I haven't played P5 yet, but in P3/P4 it is absolutely possible to die and lose progress through no fault of your own. An example that happened to me:

In Yukiko's dungeon, open a door and encounter a sub-boss. (Avenger Knight?) No way to get a preemptive attack. Knight gets first attack:

Crits Yosuke, one-hit KO, "One more!"
Crits Chie, one-hit KO, "One more!"
Crits main character, one-hit KO, Game Over.

Of course, even changing it so that a full party wipe is needed for a Game Over wouldn't have prevented this.

PSqueak

Banned
I haven't played P5 yet, but in P3/P4 it is absolutely possible to die and lose progress through no fault of your own. An example that happened to me:

In Yukiko's dungeon, open a door and encounter a sub-boss. (Avenger Knight?) No way to get a preemptive attack. Knight gets first attack:

Of course, even changing it so that a full party wipe is needed for a Game Over wouldn't have prevented this.

Good news about P5, if it was a boss or sub-boss battle, the game allows you to re-start the battle so you don't lose your progress.

If it was a random mook favored by the RNG gods you're shit out of luck tho.

It's certainly not a hardcore series. But this game feels a bit harder than the rest. What they've done from P1 to P5 is changed the focus away from party mechanics and piecing together a group of personas to focusing on battle strategy. P1 let you change others' personas while giving them a specific arcana they specialized in, so you essentially changed up people's abilities to suit the battle. Now, you are more locked in on what the other players can use, but your MC is overpowered and the battles are harder, with difficulty scaling pretty quickly as you go from battle to battle inside a dungeon.
Eh, this game is second only to P4 Golden in being the easiest. It just has some mechanics that are becoming more and more archaic. Auto-saving on sleeping and auto-saves upon entering stretches that take a long time before a player encounters another safe room would go a long way to remedying the issue.

SoulUnison

Banned
This drives me even more crazy than it did in 3 and 4 considering how "Use a Revival Item" seems to override anything else in the party's AI when another non-Main Character party member is down.

ethomaz

Banned

You where clear not strong enough to fight this boss :D

I don't remember any boss fight where he killed me with one-hit and I played P4 on hard only.

Unison

Eh, this game is second only to P4 Golden in being the easiest. It just has some mechanics that are becoming more and more archaic. Auto-saving on sleeping and auto-saves upon entering stretches that take a long time before a player encounters another safe room would go a long way to remedying the issue.

I agree that the game is easy overall, which makes all the "get good" posts seem moronic.

I definitely think there's a big contingent of this thread who are defending the design decision because they think it makes the game harder...

In some cases it does... especially boss battles, where keeping the MC alive adds some strategic consideration to the fight. I don't think people mind this mechanism as much in the boss fights precisely because you get the auto-restart. Most of the complaints center around the random mobs who can kill the MC in a round.

In those cases, it really doesn't add challenge because you have no ability to input actions before the MC dies. It's pure trial and error gameplay where you get arbitrarily jumped by monsters due to bad controls or when you encounter a mob for the first time without having any resistance equipped and have no idea it can kill your MC in one round.

I have had no other issue with the game's difficulty so far, and I've only died one time outside of boss battles... I just happened to die in one round due to a random death spell the one time it happened because of a stealth respawn glitch.

Definitely frustrating. Definitely bad design.

Eumi

Wait, why didn't you save before a boss? Did p4 have that strong presence warning thing, or am I misremembering?

Yeah, it's all RNG/agility/luck based sometimes. You'll be glad to hear that you can retry bosses and most mini-bosses from their battle rather than lose shitloads of progress, thank god.

Neoweee

Because the main character is supposed to be you. If you die, the game no longer continues, right? It's refreshingly personal and realistic.

Why or how is the Persona 5 character more of an avatar for the player than the one in Devil Survivor 1, Devil Survivor 2, or SMT4A?

This is a problem that the SMT series has already fixed, but the Persona team seems like it is out of the loop. Same thing goes for better compendium/search mechanics that newer releases have used.

Tigress

I would agree if the game didn't end when only the MC is dead, which is the point of this thread. Morgana had a Recarm spell with my name all over it if the game had just let me.

No, my point is that whole spawning it behind you and not giving you a chance is the unfair part. Even if the mc doesn't die it could easily set you back a lot more rather than letting you do it the way the game encourages you. If the game is going to set itself up to be really punishing if you don't sneak right it shouldn't put you In an impossible to sneak situation. The game does set you up to allow you to protect your mc when it is operating within the parameters it expects you to go by (sneak properly).

PSqueak

Banned
Not even true.

Enemies were respawning from the caskets for me.

If i recall correctly, they do this once per area with a casket, i think they even leave the casket busted for you to see it.

Also, some enemies kinda spawn at random in mementos and palaces while you're in an area, but im not sure what triggers this.

Thud

Why or how is the Persona 5 character more of an avatar for the player than the one in Devil Survivor 1, Devil Survivor 2, or SMT4A?

This is a problem that the SMT series has already fixed, but the Persona team seems like it is out of the loop. Same thing goes for better compendium/search mechanics that newer releases have used.

In SMT4A
you're already dead

Unison

If i recall correctly, they do this once per area with a casket, i think they even leave the casket busted for you to see it.

Also, some enemies kinda spawn at random in mementos and palaces while you're in an area, but im not sure what triggers this.

Nope, I wasn't leaving the area to a save point, and was getting respawns (around the puzzle with the ballista).

Eumi

From what I've seen I think that random respawn is like a pathing reset or something. I've seen shadows teleport before with the same effect.

HeelPower

This is completely up to the dev ,and the mechanic makes perfect sense logically.

You do lose in chess once you lose your king..even if every other piece is ok.

zoku88

Then again Apocalypse lets you retry every battle without a penalty.

I get it, you're a puppet. But it kinda makes the difficulty settings pointless.
Funny thing, I assumed that using continues would lead to a bad ending or something, so I didn't use any until the final dungeon.

BouncyFrag

It bugged me at first but the MC once you level up and figure out how different personas outright block certain attacks is quite powerful.

This is completely up to the dev ,and the mechanic makes perfect sense logically.

You do lose in chess once you lose your king..even if every other piece is ok.

But it's not chess. In so many ways.

Also, nobody questioned whether it was or wasn't up to the developer. We just were critical of it, which is okay.
It's okay to criticize work.

That's a pretty bad analogy. In chess can you take out the king on your first move?

Woah! That's way too much nuance! You calm down! :p

PK Gaming

That's a pretty bad analogy. In chess can you take out the king on your first move?

The King also isn't an overwhelmingly versatile piece either, so hard comparisons are pointless. That said, lose the King and you lose the game, which was the crux of their point. The same applies to P5.

Fandangox

The King also isn't an overwhelmingly versatile piece either, so hard comparisons are pointless. That said, lose the King and you lose the game, which was the crux of their point. The same applies to P5.

How much does luck affect the outcome of a chess game?

Fjordson

Yeah, this is pretty annoying. That coupled with the space between save rooms means one sudden blast from an enemy can cause you to lose a decent chunk of gametime. A fight could be going just fine with all of my party healthy, but then a boss will crit the shit out of my character and bam - game over.

I understand that the rules are the same. My point was that chess actually gives you a game's length of chances to defend the king, whereas in P5 you can get one-shotted in a battle in the first turn -- this literally happened to me last night. I just think game mechanics like this should be a little more fair, but I guess it's difficult to do when there's a fair amount of RNG involved.

barybll

Banned
Slightly unrelated but I think that persona should have those combat challenges like in smt
It really brings the funnest aspects of megaten combat into light

PSqueak

Banned
i just remembered something too.

When you lose a team mate, they're supposed to be unconscious, when YOU die, you are actually dead.

Chaos17

I've already same thing as you pages ago but it seems the people defending that shitty mechanic never played more than 2 rpgs in their life or at least inferior to 10. They don't even know that in Baldur's gate serie you don't have a game over when Mc dies or Dragon Age...
People are just blindly in love with P5 because for a lot it must be their first rpg ever since they don't know at all that other rpgs don't have that shitty mechanic and are still challenging.

StereoVsn

From what I've seen I think that random respawn is like a pathing reset or something. I've seen shadows teleport before with the same effect.
I don't think it's just pathing teleports. I think there is a RE spawn bug somewhere in there.

I have had shadows spawn behind me after Stealth kill. I have seen shadows spawn after exiting safe room door right next to me. I have also seen respawns in rooms without going to a different area through a door load.

IMO, a single quicksave save should be allowed ala Dragon Quest games inside the dungeon. Or Atlus can fix the issues with Stealth spawns and cameras.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Just lost like an hour and a half of progress in the first dungeon when i got lost and could not find a save point, was doing fine but somehow got one shotted in one wrong move fighting a slightly higher tier enemy

F

M

L

I don't like it when it happens either, so I prioritize protecting the MC (if I have a chance).

Last time it happened, I was just running through shadows and then a new random enemy hit the whole party with some status effect where I couldn't fight back for a few turns and was already low on health. Felt a little unfair to get a game over, but most of the time the combat has been pretty easy.

PK Gaming

I understand that the rules are the same. My point was that chess actually gives you a game's length of chances to defend the king, whereas in P5 you can get one-shotted in a battle in the first turn -- this literally happened to me last night. I just think game mechanics like this should be a little more fair, but I guess it's difficult to do when there's a fair amount of RNG involved.

To be fair, you're only getting one-shotted if you're getting ambushed which you can (almost always) prevent. Even the Mudo-using enemies in the first dungeon are weak to gun and easily taken down, and landing an ambush of your own gives you ample opportunity to prepare and against most enemies.

Venfayth

I've already same thing as you pages ago but it seems the people defending that shitty mechanic never played more than 2 rpgs in their life or at least inferior to 10. They don't even know that in Baldur's gate serie you don't have a game over when Mc dies or Dragon Age...
People are just blindly in love with P5 because for a lot it must be their first rpg ever since they don't know at all that other rpgs don't have that shitty mechanic and are still challenging.

Nope, it's just not a big deal. I don't think it absolutely has to stay, autosaves could be an alternative, but I think it's fine that a game does something differently. A mechanic being frustrating doesn't make it terrible or even bad.

I've played BG and Dragon Age and dozens of other RPGs, btw, so your condescension is off the mark.

I don't know about attacks missing or criting, but from what little I know,(only like 3 hours of play time in it myself) status effect skills are random, and success chance changes with various factors during battle (style meter being the big one).

Just wanted to clarify that status ailments in our game are not random. Enemies have hidden HP totals for each ailment type. When you bring that total to 0, the ailment succeeds (and for ailments that aren't permanent, the ailment HP is reset at a higher value). Got the idea from the Dark Souls series.

Necro900

Doesn't p5 have the restart from the beginning of the floor option on normal difficulty like p4? If yes, how can you lose hours of progress?

Also, as someone who initially struggled with p4, I've come to understand that the majority of issues players encounter in persona games comes from being underleveled and from insisting on playing the game like all other jrpgs (as in, mindlessly attacking without caring about buffs/debuffs/weaknesses).

Keep your guard up and study your enemies, that's the beauty of the series. If you hate this, then maybe it's not for you.

It fair because the MC can swift between all Personas.

And story wise MC is you with the magical powers... if you die it is gameover because you are the one supposed to have the power to revive the others.

Never played P3... that is how it is in P4... MC is the only powerful enough to do things like revive others... he has god powers... the others not.

It is you and the only important party member because if he dies nobody else has powers... the MC allow the others party members to have power.

If MC dies is gameover for everybody else story wise.

Except this is objectively untrue for both games and woefully misinformed.

Doesn't p5 have the restart from the beginning of the floor option on normal difficulty like p4? If yes, how can you lose hours of progress?

Also, as someone who initially struggled with p4, I've come to understand that the majority of issues players encounter in persona games comes from being underleveled and from insisting on playing the game like all other jrpgs (as in, mindlessly attacking without caring about buffs/debuffs/weaknesses).

Keep your guard up and study your enemies, that's the beauty of the series. If you hate this, then maybe it's not for you.

It does not. P5 doesn't have "floors" in the traditional sense. If you're not backtracking to save rooms you could potentially lose hours of progress depending on the pace of your play.

You can restart boss battles if you lose during them. That's the biggest concession.

And if you don't ambush every single enemy they may get the first turn and insta-kill your MC or exploit a weakness to pile on "1 Mores" and focus on your MC until he is dead. A regular enemy. Before you've even had a turn.

It's far more manageable in Normal but in Hard this can happen quite a bit.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wow I haven't bumped into that mechanic since the Shining Force games. It sucked then an I'm sure it'd suck now...

To be fair, you're only getting one-shotted if you're getting ambushed which you can (almost always) prevent. Even the Mudo-using enemies in the first dungeon are weak to gun and easily taken down, and landing an ambush of your own gives you ample opportunity to prepare and against most enemies.
wtf? I looked up what mudo is and no just no. I've long cried out agains instant death moves so putting them in the very first area is just plain awful. Was kinda bummed when checking around on PSN for demos last week an not seeing one for this game but ya know what its fine. This ones definitely not for me!

kadotsu

Banned
I had the same complaint until I learned to Guard sometimes on unknown enemies sometimes around P4. I still feel they should give you one Homunculus in the dungeon right before you meet the first Hama/Mudo enemies.

Wow I haven't bumped into that mechanic since the Shining Force games. It sucked then an I'm sure it'd suck now...

wtf? I looked up what mudo is and no just no. I've long cried out agains instant death moves so putting them in the very first area is just plain awful. Was kinda bummed when checking around on PSN for demos last week an not seeing one for this game but ya know what its fine. This ones definitely not for me!
Mudo has a very low chance of actually hitting you. It's not as big a deal as you think it is.

Top Bottom