• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers who did not finish White Knight Chronicles cannot play the sequel - wut?

Haunted

Awesome that they're packing an improved version of the first game into the second's retail release (at no extra cost for the consumer). I'd like to see this done more often.

wow at them locking the sequel away - they're apparently treating both games put together as one one big game now, I guess? Can't play the second part of the game if you haven't completed it up to that point (like every other game).

I'd imagine I'd be more pissed about this if the negative GAF impressions wouldn't have turned me off already, but it's still pretty fucking preposterous.

Haunted

Willy105 said:
But then what if they never play the first one? The experience of the second one would not be optimal if the game expects the player to already know the first game.
Still better to leave that choice up to the player, no?

If I buy a book, it's my fucking right to read the last chapter first. It might not be the most optimal experience to read it that way, but could you imagine someone stepping in and actively stopping me from reading the last chapter first? Like, having the last chapter locked away until I've read the rest of the book first? Doesn't happen in any other media.

It's preposterous.
And a problem with 99% of games, this case just takes the cake with the unique first game/sequel situation.

klee123

I suppose this would suck for people who played through the SP mode of the original and never touched the online whatsoever.

However, for the all of the WKC vets who have reached past at least GR7 online, this shouldn't be an issue. Considering how much time one has to invest onto the online mode, I doubt anyone who've spent a substantial amount of time on the online mode would even think about deleting their save files.

Also, the save and system files aren't locked, I've backed them up in 2 different USB drives and can access them at different PS3s. No way I'm gonna lose 600+ hours of grinding if my main PS3 breaks.

So yeah, a non issue for me, but it's certainly shit for the people who only played the SP and deleted all the save files.

spwolf

i find it pretty damn cool... hardcore to the max.

fuck todays generation of infinite respawns, medic revivals, saves/checkpoints... Where is the skill in that? Seems that lately everything is adjusted toward casuals...

Of course, I never played WKC before, i just think that idea is old school ;-)

spwolf said:

fuck todays generation of infinite respawns, medic revivals, saves/checkpoints... Where is the skill in that? Seems that lately everything is adjusted toward casuals...

I like the way you think. This is totally hardcore. :D

jax (old)

Banned
duckroll said:
This would be akin to bundling Mass Effect with Mass Effect 2, and requiring a clear save from Mass Effect to play Mass Effect 2 imo. At least, that's what I'm understanding from the article. I really WANT to be wrong, because it sounds REALLY dumb.

actually that doesn't sound dumb :/

JWong

Banned
This is a great idea! No more self-contained bs!

And you get a free game with it that's been remade to be better!

Gonna wait for White Knight Chronicle 12.

Blablurn said:
so it's two games on one disc?
Cool. I don't really see the downside besides those who don't want to play WK1 and just skip to the sequel. An enhanced WK1, with WK2 at no extra cost? So those who was going to pick up WK1 can just skip it until WK2 since we're going to replay that part of the story anyway.

Shadow780

So they want you to play arguably the worst part of the first game? Thank goodness I beat that game so I don't have to suffer again.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I love Level 5, but I'm starting to wonder if their decision making in terms of what gamers want is starting to regress. The original Dark Cloud was full of shitty ideas that made the game a chore to play. They started turning things around big time with Dark Cloud 2...but if this news is true, they've got some brass ones.

Having the original game + enhancements is a wonderful idea, nobody is disagreeing with that. Locking the player out of the new game because they don't have a clear file from the first is ridiculous. What if my save got corrupted? What if I got a new PS3 after completing the first game? What if the first game didn't interest me but I'm excited about the new things in WKC2? There are just so many reasonable explanations why someone wouldn't have the first save on their hard drive...

Safe Bet

Banned
Haunted said:
Like, having the last chapter locked away until I've read the rest of the book first? Doesn't happen in any other media.
You can't watch the last act of a play before the first...

You can't skip to the last part of a concert...

You can make a poet begin a poem with the last part of the poem...

Etc...

Guardian Bob said:
Why would people play a sequel of a story-driven game without playing the first anyway?

If people can play Shadow Hearts: Covenant, a direct-story-sequel RPG that actually has a pretty decent story and a great protagonist, without playing its predecessor, I don't see why people can't jump into the middle of a garbage Level-5 story if they think the gameplay will be drastically improved over its predecessor.

Willy105 said:
There is a positive. A very big one.

You can now play the first game too.

These things are completely unrelated. You could include the first game just as well without idiocy like this. Many packages have done it before in the past!

Sword Familiar said:
One dollar here and there won't make a big difference in the long run, is what I'm saying.

me said:
so basically it's fine to flush dollar bills down the toilet

Guardian Bob said:
Why would people play a sequel of a story-driven game without playing the first anyway?
Pretty much what I'm wondering. I could understand if it were a completely different system/story/style etc such as final fantasy sequel, but this just seems to be a continuation. I mean, I personally wouldn't make such a decision, but then again I'm not buying the game anyway. Most of the people who get this are probably going to be the fans that enjoyed the first as its more of that. I wouldn't do it, but since I wont be purchasing anyway, there is no point in me complaining.

There are some issues to raise to question for people who may have a "situation", I'll admit. I can't really see someone who wasn't interested and enjoyed the first one to really care about a sequel such as this though. It is a bad decision, but it also one that won't effect most of the people who will complain about it anyway.

Guardian Bob said:

Because it is entirely possible for someone to think that the story is pants (or inconsequential) and likes the game because of gameplay/ not like the gameplay but think it has potential to be tweaked into something fun for a sequel?

The first game was an atrocious pile of shit with a few good ideas anyway so who the fuck cares.

Seriously, move along people. Nothing to see here.

BudokaiMR2 said:
The first game was an atrocious pile of shit with a few good ideas anyway so who the fuck cares.

Seriously, move along people. Nothing to see here.

3729509778_9b4acc3f57_o.png

i dont even know why this is appropriate, but i'm at least 95% sure that it is.

Alex

Because no one cares about the story except for the few people who will laugh and clap at anything that comes out of an anime bobblehead. It will be terrible and insipid and something you can summarize with a few storyboards as the second game installs.

Any actual good done in the writing will be done in dialogue and characterization. Basically the things that don't relate to the horrible nonsense that Level-5 typically spins for the backbone of their world trotting.

People care about the improvements to the halfassed mechanics of the original, there was big potential but it was really, really stunted and poorly balanced. Level-5 needs to invoke that Dark Cloud 2 toolbox and get some meat and options back on the bones.

Also, hopefully some work goes into making the setup and flow on the online functionality of the game much better than the original. Also potential there, and there's always room for another good ORPG for me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, that's one way of getting people to play your series.

What is to stop people from just GameFAQ'ing a save file up?

i believe saves aren't locked like someone posted earlier. if people really think that WKC2 is going to be THAT MUCH BETTER than WKC1 then I'm sure they will be able to get their hands on saves.

frankly, i'm dubious on how much better it will be as the battle system was fundamentally very very boring. if they have fixed that, then i don't see why you would want to skip part 1. it's quite short anyway, the two games together will probably only be about 60 hours if the parts are equal length.

Gravijah

spwolf said:

This is actually the opposite of old school, since in the olden skewl, most games were happy to let you play sequels without having played the original.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Err, bad idea if true.

Though getting the first one with it is kinda cool. Maybe with the improvements it won't be a chore.

I hope WKC2 is improved as much as DC2. That would be awesome.

Shouta

Well, there's the Light and the Dark. Telegraphing this shit in the title of the game.

Anyway, I may just play through the first game again to refresh myself on what happened and to play it with the new stuff since I actually enjoyed the game aside from the ending. Though, I still have my save file and the character that spent a decent amount of time tweaking so it didn't look hideous.

Baron Aloha said:
So if Nintendo releases "New Super Mario Bros Plus"...which is just the original game with 8 new worlds tacked onto the end they should let people skip all of the worlds from the first game?
Well, they don't force us to go through Mario Kart's retro tracks before getting to new content.

freddy

Banned
blame space said:
how do you not see why this is awesome
It's been said before but
Including the first game on the disc = great,
Forcing a play through without a save card = not a good idea

2San

TheSeks said:
Well, that's one way of getting people to play your series.

What is to stop people from just GameFAQ'ing a save file up?
That you can't get trophies? D:

Still stupid decision for various reasons. These guys are also assuming that people play JRPG's strictly for the story. Which is hilarious considering the people I know that liked the game, liked it for the online component and thought the story was bad.

edit: I understand the logic I think. The reason they did this is probably because of the online component. While it is a full game in essence for the singleplayer it can be seen as an expansion for the multiplayer. They probably wanted to put in higher level mobs and such. That would also mean the downloading safe files will probably be blocked.

Top Bottom